Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
finished lovecraft country, another fine entry in what is apparently the new genre of "hbo adaptation that re-enacts the tulsa massacre"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
progress has been slow but we watched the ep of sopranos where tony is angsty because he has to actually be present in one of his legit businesses instead of hanging out with his buddies fooling around with ww2 munitions and it’s utterly hilarious

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
So Tony Soprano is Stringer Bell without the charisma, intelligence, or the natty taste in office furniture right?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Honestly if you aren't 'sunk cost' in the series I wouldn't, I preordered the latest book but even I have series fatigue at this point. I mean all the books have fun bits in them but I don't think it's a series I'll ever return to. Look up some detailed synopses if you dgaf about spoilers and see if anything interests you.

I do still want to read the last of the Merchant Princes TNG series he has ongoing to see how that wraps up though.

I'll consider my assumptions vindicated!

I never got into merchant princes, I think I got half way through the second one and stopped

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

also book chat, although my brain is rotted by posting and not commuting anymore so I don't read anywhere near as much as I used to, I will always find time to read a new Neal Asher space explosion fest

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Schadenboner posted:

So Tony Soprano is Stringer Bell without the charisma, intelligence, or the natty taste in office furniture right?
true. his constitution is no great shakes either

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Schadenboner posted:

he's america's rotten failson [who also has a rotten failson], he's not supposed to succeed

stringer bell was smart and selfmade but made some bad mistakes that led to his downfall, tony used up his whole organization just to stay where he was

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

tony is happy when beating or killing people

stringer is happy when he makes money like a real rear end businessman

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
tony soprano is a giant baby and i guess thats the point of the show but i didnt really care enough to watch it past the first 4 or 5 eps.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I don't regret watching the sopranos [I mean I was unemployed at the time, why not] but I know I'll never watch it again and I remember the things I hated about it a lot more than the stuff I liked

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
I watched all of sopranos while farming in the original destiny. I have very mixed feelings about all of this

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

uncle junior, a senior member of the mafia and presumably smart/capable enough to avoid being murdered by fellow mobsters well into his 70s, got his hand stuck in the kitchen sink for 6+ hours and would have died had he not been found by his niece visiting him, LOL

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

as far as things i don’t like:
1) the music is not great, overall, in any way
2) the wildly clunky screenwriter dropped-in talk about existentialism and other heady topics that normal americans (much less cartoonishly dumb mafioso and those in their orbit) would never say or talk about in a million loving years, much less in the early 00s. don’t worry, it’s also extremely cursory!

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
uncle junior thought it was gay to eat pussy

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

uncle junior thought it was gay to eat pussy

all the other fellas thought it was gay to eat pussy

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.
well, if you're a lady it is

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

AnimeIsTrash posted:

This season started off pretty good and then it felt like they introduced too many characters at once and the pace of the show slowed down too much. The Oraetta/Ethelrida plotline they started at the beginning has barely advanced and I still have no idea how Timothy Olyphant's character is relevant to the plot. Maybe this is because of all the Wes Anderson stuff i've seen but Jason Schwartzman seems very out of place.
previous seasons of fargo where more based on a riff or rather a play on the coen bros universe and style, but yes this one is quite bad dropping that almost entirely and more interested in bashing you over the head to Make A Point preaching to the choir that racism is bad.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
in the pilot they had people calling bilbo the n word to his face

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

in the pilot they had people calling bilbo the n word to his face

is Peter Jackson going gritty for the silmarillion?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Schadenboner posted:

yeah but he's not a rat bastard backstabber snitch so he's orders of magnitude better

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49_44FFKZ1M

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
https://twitter.com/drewmagary/status/1324780632053108738
oral history of marge vs the monorail, very worth clicking through and reading

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
yeah that was great

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Achmed Jones posted:

last night I watched asphalt jungle. tonight it's rififi
achmed jones, what did you think about rififi?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

into season 3 of sopranos now. season 2 ended on a banger, so to speak

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

the fictional setting where the sopranos takes place is growing increasingly cartoonish and i am loving it

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
did you get to the Monk crossover episodes or is that later

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

FMguru posted:

achmed jones, what did you think about rififi?

it was great! the famous scene was absolutely famous for a reason

it's a little strange, but I was really impressed with the translation on the song. it's hard to translate verse, and reading the lyrics it actually felt like a song instead of jammed-together stuff like foreign-language lyrics so often do

I didn't much care for the ending scene (or the ending in general to be honest), but it wasn't like terrible or anything. it felt like "crime doesn't pay, kids" got shoehorned in at the last minute and it felt kind of dissonant.

my original plan was to watch one of your other recs tonight, but I started watching Narcos a couple days ago so I'll probably end up watching that and won't get back to French noir films until I've either finished narcos or get sick of it.

I'm definitely kicking myself for not watching rififi sooner. I'd had it in plex for literally years, and finally got around to watching it.

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer
Anyone read the murderbot diaries?

There's a new one coming out in a few months

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

tak posted:

Anyone read the murderbot diaries?

There's a new one coming out in a few months

i read the ones that were out idk 6 months ago

theyre alright. theyre episodic so you can read one and then stop without missing too much closure. also they feel very much like theyre written for people who believe themselves to be autistic (maybe also peolpe who are but i dont have that diagnosis). theres a lot of repetitive "well i am a murderbot so im not good with people" repetitiveness

regular price is way above what its worth tho

[e: repetitively]

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
watched the first episode of raised by wolves

this is going places

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
the chess show is really good

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

rjmccall posted:

the chess show is really good

so good

when it go to russia even more good

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i like to play chess

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

fart simpson posted:

i like to play chess

my dad beat me at chess so much

he would tell me this is a basic basic opening and i would fall into it every time

he was not trying to make me good at chess

he was a good dad though

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

my dad tried to actually teach me to the point that he became the coach of our high school chess team when the old coach quit. thanks dad.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

fart simpson posted:

my dad tried to actually teach me to the point that he became the coach of our high school chess team when the old coach quit. thanks dad.

oof

they can't all be calvin's dad

but hey

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
chess is epic beta game

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

indigi posted:

chess is epic beta game