Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
jokes are important because scum dont overthink their posts as much when it's lighthearted or they think people wont pay much attention.

but the jokes are only valuable if we look at them critically.
i mean, they have entertainment value because they're fun, but i mean value for the gameplay.

thats probably my favorite nuance of this game. the way the conversation ebbs and flows around jokes can reveal a lot about the actual alignment of the players involved.

(sorry for waxing philosophic for a sec)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bifauxnen posted:

They weren't until I voted you, no. Not that I actually thought being obnoxious about VF made you scum, but I did want to see how you'd react. It wasn't good!

trap sprung? lol

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
so was my reaction bad when i asked you a question, or did it become bad when i started posting in response to your answer?

im asking for a friend

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
also, this qualifies.

##vote bif

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Sandwolf posted:

But that’s just it, isn’t it? Jokephase is jokey until something pings someone and then we’ve got a game

so the self proclaimed I’m-gonna-kill-jokephase feels more like LAMIST (I’m using this acronym to confuse the newbies)

Yeah, I got no problem mixing jokes with serious posts and letting jokephase live a while longer, it was just obnoxious how Steak dumped all that after he'd just been all "I'm gonna kill jokephase! Anyone who makes more than one or two jokeposts is scum!" so it was worth a prod.

And then he reacted all "what made you think things are serious??" as if there isn't a button to let me read all his previous posts

He's already lining up the threats and OMGUS too all "oh if Bif wasn't joking, I'll vote her cause that can't possibly be a real opinion"

It is now meatface

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bifauxnen posted:

Yeah, I got no problem mixing jokes with serious posts and letting jokephase live a while longer, it was just obnoxious how Steak dumped all that after he'd just been all "I'm gonna kill jokephase! Anyone who makes more than one or two jokeposts is scum!" so it was worth a prod.

And then he reacted all "what made you think things are serious??" as if there isn't a button to let me read all his previous posts

He's already lining up the threats and OMGUS too all "oh if Bif wasn't joking, I'll vote her cause that can't possibly be a real opinion"

It is now meatface

drat, u dont need to show the offense so clearly on your face. those ultimatums would only frustrate scum to this degree, cmon

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Mr. Steak posted:

so was my reaction bad when i asked you a question, or did it become bad when i started posting in response to your answer?

im asking for a friend

It was bad immediately, when you asked this:

Mr. Steak posted:

what about the last 3 pages made you think its serious time....?

After you made such a big deal about playing seriously already

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Mr. Steak posted:

im asking for a friend

imo this question is the bad part of the reaction so far

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
bif says no fun allowed.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
btw sandwolf you have a bad habit of defending scumbuds in thread really obviously.

just an fyi :P

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Mr. Steak posted:

drat, u dont need to show the offense so clearly on your face. those ultimatums would only frustrate scum to this degree, cmon

Steak between not getting that I enjoy goofy insults and they are often a sign of glee rather than frustration, and saying "trap sprung" as if I would've fearfully backed down from your threat of your vote on me, if only I was town? I'm starting to think you don't even know me

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Mr. Steak posted:

bif says no fun allowed.

Bifauxnen posted:

I'm a candy killer
Eating candy makes me horny
Chocolate inside me
Don't give me no candy corny
Gonna
Get dat candy, eat dat candy
Get dat candy, eat dat candy

Nom nom chew chew
Nom nom chew chew

Lunch all liars

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bifauxnen posted:

Steak between not getting that I enjoy goofy insults and they are often a sign of glee rather than frustration, and saying "trap sprung" as if I would've fearfully backed down from your threat of your vote on me, if only I was town? I'm starting to think you don't even know me

im not sure what you're saying here, which i think is on me for having poor reading skills.

but:
im aware i made a stupid ultimatum where you'd look scummy "to me" regardless of what you do. i wasnt actually making plans on how to vote based on what you did. i was bullshitting. but the fact that you chose the safe route of picking neither option and instead doing an uno reverse card on me makes me think you may actually be scum after all

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Mr. Steak posted:

im not sure what you're saying here, which i think is on me for having poor reading skills.

but:
im aware i made a stupid ultimatum where you'd look scummy "to me" regardless of what you do. i wasnt actually making plans on how to vote based on what you did. i was bullshitting. but the fact that you chose the safe route of picking neither option and instead doing an uno reverse card on me makes me think you may actually be scum after all

.... What?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Mr. Steak posted:

this has got to be a fake opinion. if you're scum you'd better backpedal on it cuz it'd look real weird if you double down on thinking this

Here I thought I took the second option, the doubling down on pointing out how you had posted seriously since game start, but maybe I just have bad reading skills hey

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bifauxnen posted:

.... What?

i made my fake bullshit position pretty clear. backpedal on your vote and you look scummy cuz its what i suggested scum should do. double down and it looks scummy because i said it would be scummy to do.

obviously that would be terrible town decision-making if it wasnt bullshit. cuz you'd be scum no matter what.

but to my surprise you didnt do either of those things, and said the safest possible thing. that you were serious but not actually 100% serious, except NOW you are serious

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Mr. Steak posted:

i made my fake bullshit position pretty clear. backpedal on your vote and you look scummy cuz its what i suggested scum should do. double down and it looks scummy because i said it would be scummy to do.

obviously that would be terrible town decision-making if it wasnt bullshit. cuz you'd be scum no matter what.

but to my surprise you didnt do either of those things, and said the safest possible thing. that you were serious but not actually 100% serious, except NOW you are serious

Ah. Well Steak you tell me why I should have been 100% convinced already that posting dumb votefinder bullshit and annoying people makes you scum, and not have just used it as a point of contention to gauge your reaction

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
see, now you arent voting me for the flimsy reason of "contradicted his stance on jokephase". now you're voting me for the ephemeral reason of "responded badly to pressure" which is famously impossible to defend against

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bifauxnen posted:

Ah. Well Steak you tell me why I should have been 100% convinced already that posting dumb votefinder bullshit and annoying people makes you scum, and not have just used it as a point of contention to gauge your reaction

thats exactly why your initial vote was bad, and why you're playing it so safe rn to switch gears

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I think Steak is angling for a big argument here so it'll look like a townie slapfight and he can get in the "only town Steak would get this worked up and be this argumentative" sweet spot

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
well thats entirely meta so i should ignore it.

and i will show restraint by doing so!

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Mr. Steak posted:

thats exactly why your initial vote was bad, and why you're playing it so safe rn to switch gears

How do you think D1 works? We don't have anything until we create something. That sometimes mean pressuring for something to react to. You're reaching so far to make it sound like I can only possibly have a genuine town opinion if I only cast a vote once I've become 100% convinced.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

In short, you're arguing in very bad faith and trying to push me into weirdass rhetorical nonsenseland where you can find something to drum up a case.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bifauxnen posted:

How do you think D1 works? We don't have anything until we create something. That sometimes mean pressuring for something to react to. You're reaching so far to make it sound like I can only possibly have a genuine town opinion if I only cast a vote once I've become 100% convinced.

not so. if you'd said the vote was a joke i would have dropped suspicion on you. i framed it as "something scum should do" so it would be harder for a lying scum to choose the option which would sound best to me.

of course a townie would just tell the truth, so my post shouldnt have affected their response one way or the other

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
of course my position has evolved over the last few minutes. i know what its like to argue with well-meaning town and this does not feel like it

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Mr. Steak posted:

not so. if you'd said the vote was a joke i would have dropped suspicion on you. i framed it as "something scum should do" so it would be harder for a lying scum to choose the option which would sound best to me.

of course a townie would just tell the truth, so my post shouldnt have affected their response one way or the other

Well it wasn't a joke. I thought your VF spam was annoying and stuck out as extra obnoxious after all you're "I'm so serious" early posturing. It doesn't really mean a whole lot in isolation or prove you're scum, but it was worth casting a vote to see what happened so I did.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bifauxnen posted:

Well it wasn't a joke. I thought your VF spam was annoying and stuck out as extra obnoxious after all you're "I'm so serious" early posturing. It doesn't really mean a whole lot in isolation or prove you're scum, but it was worth casting a vote to see what happened so I did.

i appreciate it. this sparked discussion, and certainly sparked some critical mafia thinking in me.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i dont have the presence of mind to explain the particulars of my thought process here, but this conversation as a whole has put you fairly high on my scum list

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Mr. Steak posted:

of course my position has evolved over the last few minutes. i know what its like to argue with well-meaning town and this does not feel like it

Well that sure does seem to happen to you a lot, I wonder why that is?

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bifauxnen posted:

can we please not rehash the whole "townies dont change their positions so much. except oh wait, they do." circular discussion that seems to happen in every game?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Mr. Steak posted:

can we please not rehash the whole "townies dont change their positions so much. except oh wait, they do." circular discussion that seems to happen in every game?

Um, yeah we can not seeing as that has absolutely nothing to do with what we're talking about

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
besides, why are you getting on my case so hard for the thing you are admitting to doing...?

i bullshitted suspicion on you to gauge a reaction and now i think you're scum for real.

if you have a problem with that, maybe dont do literally the same exact thing...?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Joke phase only ends for cowards

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bifauxnen posted:

Um, yeah we can not seeing as that has absolutely nothing to do with what we're talking about

oh, i was jumping ahead in the conversation but i guess that means you dont need to have accountability for the things you imply. so lets back up.

Bifauxnen posted:

could you explain why you think that happens to me a lot? your tone seems to indicate sarcasm, so you do suspect a reason, yes?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Mr. Steak posted:

besides, why are you getting on my case so hard for the thing you are admitting to doing...?

i bullshitted suspicion on you to gauge a reaction and now i think you're scum for real.

if you have a problem with that, maybe dont do literally the same exact thing...?

I was already voting you and already getting suspicious of how you reacted to me, since your very first post in reply. Which is what I said earlier.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bifauxnen posted:

I was already voting you and already getting suspicious of how you reacted to me, since your very first post in reply. Which is what I said earlier.

i dont see the difference, but its no matter. none of this conversation will be admissible as evidence in the mafia court, and it has already served its purpose of making me view you suspiciously in the future, so lets drop it.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Mr. Steak posted:

oh, i was jumping ahead in the conversation but i guess that means you dont need to have accountability for the things you imply. so lets back up.

could you explain why you think that happens to me a lot? your tone seems to indicate sarcasm, so you do suspect a reason, yes?

It means I've seen you get into a lot of big fights as both scum and town, and even when you're town they're often pitting you against townies because you get people real riled up with leading lines like "I guess that means you don't need to have accountability". You provoke people a lot.

I'm still ok so far cause I'm excited I might've caught you pushing a bit too far in bad faith for this to be one of the town times. But it is becoming frustrating yeah

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ohhh u meant arguing happens to me a lot.

well yeah on d1 idk any better way to create content from nothing

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
sorry if youre town and im frustrating you. i always aim to be frustrating to scum players only

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"always" when im town, i should say