Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
i mean, in the abstract, I WANT being a cop to be a good paying job. it’s a position with a ton of responsibility (even if is 99.9% boredom) and you want to attract good people to it because the difficult situations can be really, really difficult.

i also think pretty much all of the training is terrible and the institutions are terrible and tolerate racism and they handle way too many things by default that can be handled without an armed police officer.

but it SHOULD be a good job that attracts competitive applicants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
worst snipe i ever made

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

pretty sure DV convictions are a disqualifier for enlistment too, whereas in a PD they're an instant promotion to lieutenant on hire

I left my poo poo hometown in 1997. I came back when my dad was dying in 2002. A dude I went to high school with that joined the force (who is now police chief) drove his cruiser into my path and turned the lights on and was all 'FREEZE YOU FUCKER, lol, nevermind it's just me Darve, how you doin'

Took me a long time to realize it wasn't a friend being silly, it was a rival saying 'this is my territory and gently caress off'

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You'd need to start by retiring every single cop who was hired and trained under the current system, and rebuild it entirely.

The system selects for bullies and bigots. Any attempt at reform that keeps the existing bullies and bigots in charge would keep the same problems.

Apr 7, 2003

Jabor posted:

You'd need to start by retiring every single cop who was hired and trained under the current system, and rebuild it entirely.

The system selects for bullies and bigots. Any attempt at reform that keeps the existing bullies and bigots in charge would keep the same problems.

Media knew this in the seventies through the nineties.

It somehow morphed into the cop dicksucking we know now since then.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1324825062915084288

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

i mean, in the abstract, I WANT being a cop to be a good paying job. it’s a position with a ton of responsibility (even if is 99.9% boredom) and you want to attract good people to it because the difficult situations can be really, really difficult.

i also think pretty much all of the training is terrible and the institutions are terrible and tolerate racism and they handle way too many things by default that can be handled without an armed police officer.

but it SHOULD be a good job that attracts competitive applicants.

literally just take away their guns and make them walk a beat instead of driving cars and you'd probably drive off the worst 80% overnight.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Jabor posted:

The system selects for bullies and bigots

reminder that the pig tests are for weeding out the smart ones

this was defended in the supreme court

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Sagebrush posted:

literally just take away their guns and make them walk a beat instead of driving cars

the pig wagons here all have WALK MY BEAT bumper stickers

Apr 7, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

literally just take away their guns and make them walk a beat instead of driving cars and you'd probably drive off the worst 80% overnight.

The NYPD's budget is over $10b a year.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Sagebrush posted:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

:kiss:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

there is essentially never a situation where a regular policeman actually needs to shoot someone with a gun right on the spot. even if there's a wacko walking around with a machine gun, you get as many people to safety as you can and call in backup. hero cops don't exist.

take away their guns, and make them walk a beat so they interact with people day to day instead of only getting out of their cars when they want to harass someone. hello officer how are you doing, oh not too bad, nice day isn't it, stay out of trouble. both the police and the citizens will benefit from this interaction.

it's incredibly loving simple

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The NYPD's budget is over $10b a year.

yeah they also literally perform covert surveillance in foreign countries. lmao

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Just a glance at the Seattle 911 calls for service map shows the overwhelming majority of calls are for petty theft (where the crime has almost certainly already occurred and is no longer in progress), reports of someone feeling unsafe, reports of "something suspicious", traffic accidents, or "crisis".

All of these, except for potentially someone feeling unsafe (since that's so vague) do not need to be responded to by an armed officer, or an officer as we know it of any kind. Most police should really be a combination of social worker and bureaucrat, and that's not the sort of person attracted to police work at this time.

In other news, it looks like Charter Amendment No. 6: Structure and Duties of the Department of Public Safety is going to pass. This is very exciting, because apparently it means the city council has more power in dictating what sort of response shows up when you call 911 (the voting guide makes it sound like its specifically for mental health crisis, but hopefully its more leeway than that).

This means we actually could drastically reduce the size of the police force. If I dial 911 because my car was stolen, I want basically a city insurance adjuster to show up and officially take facts, if someone is freaking out, I want a trained social worker with mental health and de-escalation experience, who isn't gonna open fire because someone is "ignoring orders", etc, etc.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Sagebrush posted:

there is essentially never a situation where a regular policeman actually needs to shoot someone with a gun right on the spot. even if there's a wacko walking around with a machine gun, you get as many people to safety as you can and call in backup. hero cops don't exist.

take away their guns, and make them walk a beat so they interact with people day to day instead of only getting out of their cars when they want to harass someone. hello officer how are you doing, oh not too bad, nice day isn't it, stay out of trouble. both the police and the citizens will benefit from this interaction.

it's incredibly loving simple

yeah they also literally perform covert surveillance in foreign countries. lmao

cops don’t routinely carry firearms here. sometimes they have a taser though

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

cool sleepy speech

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

cops don’t routinely carry firearms here. sometimes they have a taser though

This is exactly how it should be.

When you carry a weapon your relationship with the community and the people around you instantly changes because you have something that can instantly end someone's life.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

he hasn’t won yet

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

At a minimum, police should go back to service revolvers. With a revolver you have 6 shots and a long reload time. You better know what you're aiming at and not miss, because you've only got 5 more chances. Now, at the slightest threat, its nothing to them to unload 17 shots into someone before needing to reload (in a split second).

A big part of the switch from revolvers to high capacity pistols was the 1986 Miami Dade Shootout, which was a wild loving incident that got turned into a couple of made for tv movies and documentaries... unless you are in a made for tv movie shootout, if you are a beat cop (and it wasn't beat cops in the shootout, it was the FBI), a service revolver should be sufficient.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
https://twitter.com/Read_N_Learn/status/1324914743174451200

lmao

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

This is exactly how it should be.

When you carry a weapon your relationship with the community and the people around you instantly changes because you have something that can instantly end someone's life.

cops have guns in their cars though. pew pew.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

it’s hard to read all dem auto queue words

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

lmao

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

cops have guns in their cars though. pew pew.

that's appropriate, as long as cops don't all have cars.

most of them walk the beat with sticks and pepper spray, maybe tasers. one in eight or so drives in a car with a couple of shotguns locked in the trunk, and you radio that guy when you need him. for anything where two or four shotguns are not enough firepower, you call in the swat team.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Sagebrush posted:

yeah.

i’m pretty glad to see what austin is doing. it’s just a first step but the APD budget is ~$430 million. they’re moving ~$150 million of that out over the next ~2 years. mostly by:

• moving 911 dispatch out from under the police (this is $80 million alone). this will give the dispatchers the choice of sending fire, ems, or other services without even contacting the police dept.
  • move police internal affairs from the police dept to the same city dept as the civilian police monitor / oversight board
  • removing armed officers from (most) traffic enforcement, like how parking enforcement is handled now without armed officers. this probably includes speeding and taillight tickets, but not a 911 call reporting obviously drunk people or other things that rise above a normal class c misdemeanor (ticket) from what I have seen being talked about
  • moving victim services out from under the police department to under the city manager as victims often have relationships with the police that make things more difficult (like officer domestic violence)
  • cancelling the next two cadet classes to re-tool training (this could be anything from good to useless depending on implementation)

that still leaves a lot to do, but the ideas all seem pretty good to me.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

thats some good poo poo op. I basically don't want to have a police force of any kind save maybe a swat team for actual active shooter situations, which are obviously rare

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

policing in america looks messy as hell. I’m surprised that there is little or no independent civilian oversight in many us jurisdictions. but I’m in no place to comment other than what is posted online and what makes it to the news down here.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

“I want to reiterate that am committed to New Zealand Police remaining a generally unarmed police service."

[new commissioner] Coster said police valued their relationships with the various communities they served, and this meant working with them to find solutions that worked for both.

"How the public feels is important - we police with the consent of the public, and that is a privilege."

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

ADINSX posted:

Just a glance at the Seattle 911 calls for service map shows the overwhelming majority of calls are for petty theft (where the crime has almost certainly already occurred and is no longer in progress), reports of someone feeling unsafe, reports of "something suspicious", traffic accidents, or "crisis".

for 18 months i had a linux machine scraping the Fayetteville, AR police dispatch record and the top two dispatch sites were the two walmarts in fayetteville

the first had a 42:1 ratio of calls versus the #3 site, and the smaller walmart had a 28:1 ratio versus #3

lol we're paying tax dollars to harass poor people over shoplifting calls so helen walton can drink more indigenous baby blood to prolong her life

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

istr an article from years ago pointing out that all walmarts in the country do that, and are always responsible for the majority of the calls in any community in which they exist. they're basically outsourcing store security to city police to save a few dollars.

what a poo poo company

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yep the local cops turn into loss prevention security guards so the waltons can get the Good Cocaine and kill people . nobody cares or wants to guillotine them. its hosed up

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
helen walton literally killed a minwage frozen food factory worker by running over them when she was driving drunk and the judge went "welp, you're rich, nothing we can do"

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
she later moved to texas and got a DUI which the local cops, and i quote, "chose to let the statute of limitations run out"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

probably her lawyer told them if they looked the other way she'd buy them a tank

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Jonny 290 posted:

nobody cares or wants to guillotine them. its hosed up

that's the part that gets me. i understand how it got that way, it just flabbergasts me that it works.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
lol trumps chief of staff got the rona

let’s see if trump goes two for two

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

kitten emergency posted:

lol trumps chief of staff got the rona

let’s see if trump goes two for two

i mean round one aged him 10 years and with a baseline age of like 74
idk idk

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

good shits on Twitter tonight

https://twitter.com/im_in_the_walls/status/1324903364178612224?s=21

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

lol i can’t stop laughing at this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

The GOP’s going to look in the mirror, take a deep breath, and say “We gotta lower the age of consent.”