Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Admit that you're at least a bit jealous of the feature.

Will quick resume work well with switching to apps like Netflix? If so, that's pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

John F Bennett posted:

Admit that you're at least a bit jealous of the feature.

I'm not, but I don't use Rest Mode either.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Bad Parenting posted:

I can't remember where I heard/read it but someone was saying there's quite a few games that don't play nice with the S/X quick resume thing and it's more like a beta than a finished feature, doesn't sound like something I'd want to rely on for saving my progress

They found a major bug with the feature and had to turn it off for some Xbox Series X|S enhanced games. It doesn't sound like it will be fixed by launch, but it's still working for almost everything else. It also isn't supported for some games that rely on a multiplayer server connection.

Another limitation is that I believe it doesn't create new Quick Resume ... save states? ... for each user profile. You can't have user 1 and user 2 have their own instance of Watch Dogs Legion in the background.

One thing that I would like to see Sony do, if they add this feature, is make it more customizable and user facing. It would be neat if you could set how many games you want saved in the background at a time or an interface to see what games are currently saved. Or turn it off for storage savings.

The fact that there are some menus and screens in the PS5 OS that talk about multiple games being closed makes me think that this feature is on the way. Maybe the pandemic has caused some features to be pushed back (though I don't know if that excuse works for the USB saves and cold storage not being in there, sadly).

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
I’m way more jealous of 1440p 120fps output than quick resume, personally.

Quick resume is a feature that’s best used when you have five games you don’t really want to play, but you want to play something.

ghostwritingduck fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Nov 7, 2020

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

i'm jealous of any mofo playing nuDemon's Souls on launch day if i can't get my hands on this curvy thicc box

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Zerot posted:

The fact that there are some menus and screens in the PS5 OS that talk about multiple games being closed makes me think that this feature is on the way. Maybe the pandemic has caused some features to be pushed back (though I don't know if that excuse works for the USB saves and cold storage not being in there, sadly).

It wouldn’t surprise me if the cold storage and USB saves thing were both related to the same issue, since they both involve the PS5 file system and USB access.

I don’t use either feature now (expanded storage for the PS4 is the equivalent here) and doubt I’ll ever use them going forward so it’s never going to bother me, but I can see why people would.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

i'm jealous of any mofo playing nuDemon's Souls on launch day if i can't get my hands on this curvy thicc box

Take my energy.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Vikar Jerome posted:

could... could it be!?

spoiler: astrobot cameo

PLAYSTATION SILENT HILL REAL? :popeye:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

JordanKai posted:

PLAYSTATION SILENT HILL REAL? :popeye:

yes. but if not, it will be so funny if the leak originated from this.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I like that Spider-Man and other games give us performance profile choices now, but I wish they'd let us compromise resolution instead of framerate or RT. 1080p is fine. Let me render at 1080p. I don't know why they won't permit this.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

ketchup vs catsup posted:

I’m seeing all these videos about ps5 games and I really don’t like that Sony is sticking with this performance vs graphics mode stuff.

To me the idea of a console is to minimize settings and configuration and fragmentation - don’t make me choose between speed and graphics, give me both.

If this really is a big problem for you, you can actually set to prefer performance or graphics by default at the system level os and never have to pick it again.

PS5 is good.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
There's quite a lot of poster ITT that only ever play one game at a time and despise the idea of switching between games.

I am guessing that one game was bloodborne, and will now be Demons souls

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

rabidsquid posted:

if you arent switching games every six minutes i dont even know why you would buy a console, and if you cant quick resume you end up losing 40 hours of your life over the course of ten years if you swap those games every six minutes for eight hours a day over ten years.

this is me

Crafty posted:

There's quite a lot of poster ITT that only ever play one game at a time and despise the idea of switching between games.

are u ok

Augus fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Nov 7, 2020

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
He never misses

https://twitter.com/kazhiraiceo/status/1325037498725265409?s=21

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

It makes me a Lil bummed to see you guys excited for system level stuff because the second AAA multiplat development starts in earnest, none of this stuff will ever be used again by most any game that's not Sony studios or PS5 exclusive. The difficulty system level stuff, along with options for example, for default inverted view, has been around on the software level since the 360 in 2006. No one ever used it. I was so stoked when I saw ps4 had native keyboard and mouse support. Outside of War Thunder, again, nothing. I think based on history those system level options will be used never and there's gonna be max, MAYBE 50, 100 games at most with smaller indies and such, that are even going to use the full haptic controller stuff, and if you doubt that, tell me how many ps4 games you've played where the touchpad and motion sensor were seamlessly integrated wholly into controlling a game, because even Sony gave up after like, making you wipe a stone tablet with the touchpad in uncharted or whatever.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Crafty posted:

poo poo, you're right, gonna take 7 seconds to switch between demon's souls and spider-man, why could they have not put a quick resume in!? :negative:

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Surprise State of Play
https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1325060694576869377

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

OxMan posted:

It makes me a Lil bummed to see you guys excited for system level stuff because the second AAA multiplat development starts in earnest, none of this stuff will ever be used again by most any game that's not Sony studios or PS5 exclusive. The difficulty system level stuff, along with options for example, for default inverted view, has been around on the software level since the 360 in 2006. No one ever used it. I was so stoked when I saw ps4 had native keyboard and mouse support. Outside of War Thunder, again, nothing. I think based on history those system level options will be used never and there's gonna be max, MAYBE 50, 100 games at most with smaller indies and such, that are even going to use the full haptic controller stuff, and if you doubt that, tell me how many ps4 games you've played where the touchpad and motion sensor were seamlessly integrated wholly into controlling a game, because even Sony gave up after like, making you wipe a stone tablet with the touchpad in uncharted or whatever.

Disagree, Sony has created tools to make it easier for developers to add it to their games.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

caldrax posted:

PC Gamer's review says this:

I guess maybe that's different from what Xbox is doing but the way they make it sound it's going to be negligible enough to barely matter. I'm excited about fast load times more for the crazy tricks they'll be able to pull off technically within the games themselves than my need to "play the game now! No faster, faster!"

Game Switcher doesn’t sound like much at all. From the Wired review:

“However, there's no real equivalent of Xbox Series X|S's 'Quick Resume' feature, which holds several games in suspended state and allows you to jump between them without losing progress. The closest on PS5 is the new 'Switcher', which remembers which apps or games you've run recently, but doesn't seem to store your place in them. We tried swapping between Spider-Man and Capcom's Devil May Cry 5: Special Edition, and had to load game saves from scratch.”

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Here it is on YouTube if that's easier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQXBMiLSYJo

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

morestuff posted:

Game Switcher doesn’t sound like much at all. From the Wired review:

“However, there's no real equivalent of Xbox Series X|S's 'Quick Resume' feature, which holds several games in suspended state and allows you to jump between them without losing progress. The closest on PS5 is the new 'Switcher', which remembers which apps or games you've run recently, but doesn't seem to store your place in them. We tried swapping between Spider-Man and Capcom's Devil May Cry 5: Special Edition, and had to load game saves from scratch.”

Yes, that’s exactly what the quote said. It shows you want games you played recently and allows you to choose them.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh that is certainly a hud. what the gently caress

edit: man the hud looks ugly, better be auto-hide or something. too clean.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

State of Play video is here, shows off several different locations and gameplay.

imo the new UI sucks, it's really sharp and clean but very flavorless. Purely function over form, reminds me of Code Vein in that way. Everything else about it seems solid though, the new camera is great. Seems to resolve a lot of the Souls game camera jerkiness by letting it flow smoothly, instead of keeping it locked to a specific x/y space right above and behind the player's head.

edit: Also not a fan of the UI being stuffed so far into the corners. Hopefully it's similar to Dark Souls Remastered and the player is able to change the size between a few different presets. Nice that they decided to add decimal commas to large numbers like your soul count, though!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Nov 7, 2020

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

are those new cutscenes!? i dont remember that dragon intro to boletaria...

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

oh sweet, they added flavor text back to death so maybe they can patch that loving hud. i think its the white outlines imo

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The HUD looks fine, the original one was nothing special either

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

the original one had way more character

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The top right corner used to have the level name and number, and an icon that represented its current world tendency in real time, looks like it's been removed outright which is an interesting choice.

Vikar Jerome posted:

are those new cutscenes!? i dont remember that dragon intro to boletaria...

It's not new, no.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I liked the serif font better, otherwise I'm struggling to see any way that it is really materially different in a negative way. I like the diamond layout of the quickbar.

Other than this I guess:

CJacobs posted:

The top right corner used to have the level name and number, and an icon that represented its current world tendency in real time, looks like it's been removed outright which is an interesting choice.
I've played Demon's Souls probably 25 times and I didn't realize that icon showed the world tendency :pwn:

edit: really glad that performance mode is 4K with dynamic resolution rather than native 1080p like I feared. My 4K TV will finally have a purpose after two years

Volte fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Nov 7, 2020

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

History Comes Inside! posted:

It wouldn’t surprise me if the cold storage and USB saves thing were both related to the same issue, since they both involve the PS5 file system and USB access.

Both are strange omissions, especially since you can still put PS4 games and pictures/videos on USB drives. I hope it's remedied quickly.

The high cost and size limitations of PS5-capable SSDs mean that cold storage is going to be super important for people with slow or limited internet.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Volte posted:

I liked the serif font better, otherwise I'm struggling to see any way that it is really materially different in a negative way. I like the diamond layout of the quickbar.

Just doesn't really gel with the aesthetic of the game imo. It's very sleek and modern in a game that's got none of that at all incorporated visually.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Fedule posted:

I like that Spider-Man and other games give us performance profile choices now, but I wish they'd let us compromise resolution instead of framerate or RT. 1080p is fine. Let me render at 1080p. I don't know why they won't permit this.

give me the option to do 144p at 720 fps

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.
The HUD looks fine, as long as I can see everything clearly I don't really care. I don't actually think there's a ton of difference except obviously it being higher res.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

CJacobs posted:

State of Play video is here, shows off several different locations and gameplay.

imo the new UI sucks, it's really sharp and clean but very flavorless. Purely function over form, reminds me of Code Vein in that way. Everything else about it seems solid though, the new camera is great. Seems to resolve a lot of the Souls game camera jerkiness by letting it flow smoothly, instead of keeping it locked to a specific x/y space right above and behind the player's head.

edit: Also not a fan of the UI being stuffed so far into the corners. Hopefully it's similar to Dark Souls Remastered and the player is able to change the size between a few different presets. Nice that they decided to add decimal commas to large numbers like your soul count, though!

No one is going to care about this but it is legitimately bizarre to me that they made the dragon appearing in Boletaria the opening cutscene to the level as opposed to something you encounter after you warp into the level and walk forward a bit.

It is one of the most striking opening experiences in an area in the entire Souls series and now they made it so the player isn’t even there when triggering the cutscene? It is not a huge deal or anything, but it is a pretty strange and unnecessary creative change??

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

poo poo yeah, if I can do 4k at 60 fps give me 1080p at 120

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Hakkesshu posted:

No one is going to care about this but it is legitimately bizarre to me that they made the dragon appearing in Boletaria the opening cutscene to the level as opposed to something you encounter after you warp into the level and walk forward a bit.

It is one of the most striking opening experiences in an area in the entire Souls series and now they made it so the player isn’t even there when triggering the cutscene? It is not a huge deal or anything, but it is a pretty strange and unnecessary creative change??
They didn't change that at all. Are you thinking of the Undead Burg in Dark Souls?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Hakkesshu posted:

It was always that way.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Idk why but I am super annoyed by the trolls coming in here complaining about the lack QoL improvements that I have literally never even considered.

I just want a console that isn't a beefed up PlayStation 2 for once. Can we just get that? It's been like twenty years.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

anothergod posted:

I just want a console

let me preorder the ps5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

anothergod posted:

Idk why but I am super annoyed by the trolls coming in here complaining about the lack QoL improvements that I have literally never even considered.

I just want a console that isn't a beefed up PlayStation 2 for once. Can we just get that? It's been like twenty years.

I mean Nintendo is right over there.