Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Bust Rodd posted:

Finally, and this seems like my biggest complaint, but when the ending of the episode is just a literal Deus Ex Machina descending from heaven to shoot all your problems and then fly away without consequences, my “LAZY & BAD WRITING” alarms go haywire.

Chekhov's X-wings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

What is all that crap? gently caress, I hate fan fiction on how you can do things better than what we got here. TVIV does this all the time for shows that are nowhere near "bad" or "im gonna skip it next time!!".

The well is poisoned from people wanting epic Game of Thrones style arcs. The same bullshit plagued the Raised by Wolves thread with people coming in on how they would have done things so much better instead of going along for the ride.

E: Do you also think Han Solo coming in at the last minute to save Luke was bullshit? He comes in, shoots the other TIE's away then flies off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mcPOd28oN0

Up until this point he was shown to not give a poo poo and hosed off. Just like the X-Wing pilots here - well, we lost him, gently caress. Then it turns out no - they didnt gently caress off, they kept searching and saved them.

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Nov 7, 2020

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
X-Wings are so cool.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Everyone posted:

We just did. Din encountered the two X-wing cops and left off on semi-friendly terms. They were looking for underground Imperials. You think they're not going to be factor later on when he runs into Grand Moff Darksaber again?

Maybe, maybe not. Moff Gideon wasn't hiding from anything or anyone. He was out there in full imperial regalia with his literal stormtroopers.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

A.o.D. posted:

Most of what you said here would have been worse than what we actually got.

Yeah I’m one dude posting on a web forum rattling off 3-4 ideas in 5 mins, not a team of rich Hollywood writers working together for months. “X-wing pilots are jerks, and cops, and also heroes, but still jerks” is stupid. I would rather the show lean on the characters we spend the entire episode with instead of bookending 45 minutes with the only 2 characters who get agency being Feds.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I can't really judge this episode since I straight up couldn't watch it, but it definitely seems like it's down there with Ep5 and the previous episode as contender for the worst episode of the show. That doesn't mean there's not plenty to like, and it's hard to argue that it is straight up bad, just that it didn't really work for you and that's fair. I really enjoyed everything up until the spiders.

Wait what? S2E1 is one of the BEST episodes of the show, what are talking about? It has literally everything that makes this show good (maybe a little light on baby Yoda)

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Thom12255 posted:

X-Wings are so cool.

:hmmyes:

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Okay I no longer think Mandible is a verpine.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Verpine

But also verpines have never appeared in any live-action star wars so its anyone's guess.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
The way Mando said "May the force be with you" sounded amusingly forced and insincere, like someone getting pulled over and pulling some "uh Blue lives matter thank you for your service OK can I go now?" type toadying.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

John Wick of Dogs posted:

That spider chase scene was more exciting and tense than anything in the sequel trilogy and most anything in the other movies

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Bust Rodd posted:

”X-wing pilots are jerks, and cops, and also heroes, but still jerks” is stupid.

Why? None of the things you said are necessarily mutually exclusive, especially if you are, in fact, a criminal on the run.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Designing and implementing the way a giant frog would behave when scared and trying to run away from something must have been weird and deeply unsettling to do. It’s an extremely awkward movement and animation

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I want to know how we heard the x-wings reconfiguring their wings through the vacuum of space.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s because the writers are all actually brilliant geniuses who think of everything.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

withak posted:

I want to know how we heard the x-wings reconfiguring their wings through the vacuum of space.

Magic.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Bust Rodd posted:

Wait what? S2E1 is one of the BEST episodes of the show, what are talking about? It has literally everything that makes this show good (maybe a little light on baby Yoda)

I think it's much like episode 5 and this one. They're not bad episodes, I'd say they're quite good, I just preferred the others. The last one pretty much felt like a better redo of episode 5, though by virtue of redoing things lacking that original spice, which is why I'd say both episodes are as good as eachother.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Panfilo posted:

The way Mando said "May the force be with you" sounded amusingly forced and insincere, like someone getting pulled over and pulling some "uh Blue lives matter thank you for your service OK can I go now?" type toadying.

If he only just found out about Jedi in the last season how does he know about the Force?

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
Lone Wolf and Cub fight and are cornered by native threat of the week #12, are about to die, and are saved by the US cavalry suddenly swooping in and saving them. The soldiers ignore the bounty on Wolf because he helped round up some bank robbers last time he was in town. The Army guys sure are jerk-offs but they helped out this time.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Panfilo posted:

At first I thought it weird that he gave them a Jedi greeting, since he has apparently never heard of the Jedi so far, but then I remembered that in Episode 4, Dodonna sends the X-Wing pilots off into battle with "May the Force be with you", and Ackbar says "May the Force be with us" during the second Death Star battle, so maybe by now it's either an established Rebellion/New Republic greeting or it's become a common saying like "Dank farrik" or "I swear by the Gotra" that people say without giving a thought to the meaning behind it.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

I tried to be more aware of the cgi and the cool projection technology they used this time. One thing I did notice was how well they use practical effects to set up the cgi. I think this is key and the main reason Jurassic Park holds up so well. They set up the dinosaurs with actual lifelike puppets or the huge t-Rex robot, then when they use some dates cgi to show them in a wider shot they’ve already got our buy-in as viewers that these are real creatures.

The same thing happens on this show a ton and I think I really noticed it with the frog lady. Obviously they spent a ton of work making that costume look legit and it looked amazing, down to the weird pulsing bits. Because of this when she goes full frog hopping mode in cgi we’ve already bought that she’s a real thing so the cgi holds up.

The effects on this show are amazing. Honestly the x-wing chase was not only better writing but it also felt like it has better effects than anything in the new trilogy and I feel like it’s because of this.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Dave Syndrome posted:

At first I thought it weird that he gave them a Jedi greeting, since he has apparently never heard of the Jedi so far, but then I remembered that in Episode 4, Dodonna sends the X-Wing pilots off into battle with "May the Force be with you", and Ackbar says "May the Force be with us" during the second Death Star battle, so maybe by now it's either an established Rebellion/New Republic greeting or it's become a common saying like "Dank farrik" or "I swear by the Gotra" that people say without giving a thought to the meaning behind it.

Also people probably weren't as aware say when episode 4/begins, but by Jedi when Mon Mothma says that the Emperor himself is going to be at the new Death Star it's not a "we can take them all down at once" Dirty Dozen moment, the music is foreboding and people are shook at this information.

Like by the time of RotJ people are definitely aware that the force is an old respectful salutation and that Vader/the Emperor are on some weird poo poo even if theu don't know all the terminology or read Wookiepiedia.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The episode was great

And then the xenomorph eggs showed up

And then the spiders

Why did it have to be spiders

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I thought the X-wing pilots coming in to save Mando & co at the end gave the whole episode a nice arc of Mando learning that the New Republic is not like the Empire he grew up with, and they aren't necessarily out to screw him over just because he crosses their path. Sure they didn't go out of their way to help him further, but they could have just left him for death or finished him off if they wanted to and no one would have given them trouble over it.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
The Tatooine lady said "by the force" last episode didn't she? I think it's well established in the universe that people use the word in the same way people use the word omg. For some like in the NR there is a connection to the Jedi Order but to most it's just 'good luck!'.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Davros1 posted:

Can we talk about the awesome scene when he turned over his jetpack to the mercenary?

I love how they managed to give a flippin' jetpack a personality

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Vinylshadow posted:

I love how they managed to give a flippin' jetpack a personality

Hahaha I hadn’t thought of this you’re right

It settled down so perfectly then did a perfect thunk

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Thom12255 posted:

The Tatooine lady said "by the force" last episode didn't she?

Yeah, she says "Thank the Force!" when she sees Baby Yoda again.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Baby Yoda wasn't just cooing this time, but really trying to talk. Will we get first words this season?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

On Paul Sun-Hyung Lee being a pilot in this episode. You knew CBC was going to have a piece on it!

quote:

His hobby of making costumes turned out to be useful. During the fitting, members of the wardrobe department were struggling with how to attach an ejection harness when Lee intervened.  

"I said, 'If you guys don't mind, I've actually built this costume and I have on my phone meticulously curated photos of how it works.'" Then the cosplay hobbyist showed the wardrobe experts how to buckle the harness. 

quote:

But nothing prepared Lee for what came next. The wardrobe department wanted a photo of him in costume but his helmet was still being painted, so they took out a prop from the original Star Wars film.

Lee says recognized the helmet the moment they uncovered it.

"I look at it because I know the pattern. I said, 'Is that Bigg's helmet?' And they said, 'Yeah, how do you know?' Because I'm a nerd."

So Lee, a lifelong Star Wars fan, placed the helmet belonging to Biggs Darklighter, a minor character from the original 1977 film, on his head and started to cry.

"Because this is one of the first movies I remember seeing with my dad, with my sister — and I was not expecting to hold, let alone wear a piece of my history on my head."

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Madurai posted:

Baby Yoda wasn't just cooing this time, but really trying to talk. Will we get first words this season?

Hearing the Child say "baba" when looking at Din was adorable

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Tom Tucker posted:

I tried to be more aware of the cgi and the cool projection technology they used this time. One thing I did notice was how well they use practical effects to set up the cgi. I think this is key and the main reason Jurassic Park holds up so well. They set up the dinosaurs with actual lifelike puppets or the huge t-Rex robot, then when they use some dates cgi to show them in a wider shot they’ve already got our buy-in as viewers that these are real creatures.

The same thing happens on this show a ton and I think I really noticed it with the frog lady. Obviously they spent a ton of work making that costume look legit and it looked amazing, down to the weird pulsing bits. Because of this when she goes full frog hopping mode in cgi we’ve already bought that she’s a real thing so the cgi holds up.

The effects on this show are amazing. Honestly the x-wing chase was not only better writing but it also felt like it has better effects than anything in the new trilogy and I feel like it’s because of this.

It's important to remember that even the spaceship CGI has a practical element to it. Whenever they show you a cockpit shot, they're filming that in a surround projection stage that is projecting the effects in the background. As a result, the actors in the cockpit are lit by what's happening outside of the ship and are reacting to things they can actually see. If you see a laser bolt reflect off of Mando's helmet in a dogfight, that's an actual reflection (possibly touched up a bit to make it look better).

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

A.o.D. posted:

It's important to remember that even the spaceship CGI has a practical element to it. Whenever they show you a cockpit shot, they're filming that in a surround projection stage that is projecting the effects in the background. As a result, the actors in the cockpit are lit by what's happening outside of the ship and are reacting to things they can actually see. If you see a laser bolt reflect off of Mando's helmet in a dogfight, that's an actual reflection (possibly touched up a bit to make it look better).

This reminds me of something I wondered about as they were trying to escape the spiders in the tunnels. Each blaster shot of his lit him up and his immediate surroundings in bright red light and it was accurate to where his blaster was -- how do they do that? Is he holding something that produces the light? Is someone shining it on him from off camera? Is CG lighting just that good?

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

its cool that the aliens are just clothed big versions of real animals

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Bust Rodd posted:

This episode apparently lives or dies by whether or not you naturally empathize with the frog woman and... yeah this is the worst episode of the show for me.

I love Frog Lady. It was a good episode with arguably some of the best action design in the entire Star Wars media franchise. The X-Wing chase and the spider battle scenes were both really well done/shot and felt super Star Wars-y. My only issue with the episode was the weird rear end direction of the comedic through line with Baby Yoda, but other than that, it was a dope episode imo.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

I liked how weird the egg eating made me feel. It was funny but not funny because it’s bad, but not that bad. I dunno, I think the conflicting part about it that people don’t like is what I liked about it. A little bit of comic moral ambiguity. It felt deliberate to me

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Maybe, maybe not. Moff Gideon wasn't hiding from anything or anyone. He was out there in full imperial regalia with his literal stormtroopers.

On a pissant planet way the gently caress out in the middle of nowhere. Gideon is absolutely hiding from the greater power of the New Republic. It's just that right there the New Republic was pretty far away so he could get away with doing the Moff thing.

I like the way this show has kind of re-scaled and re-balanced the power dynamic of the Star Wars universe by setting it way out on the frontier/outlands/etc. In previous shows/movies, TIE Fighters are almost a joke because of X-Wings or the the Millennium Falcon(which is practically a Q-ship) and it takes a full Star Destroyer to show the Empire as a real threat. Here.a single TIE is loving scary dangerous because the heroes don't actually have access to a fighter/ship of their own. The same thing happened earlier with the Walker in episode 1.4. And in this episode two X-wings are a potentially lethal threat to Din with his patched, slightly crappy ship.

Slashrat posted:

I thought the X-wing pilots coming in to save Mando & co at the end gave the whole episode a nice arc of Mando learning that the New Republic is not like the Empire he grew up with, and they aren't necessarily out to screw him over just because he crosses their path. Sure they didn't go out of their way to help him further, but they could have just left him for death or finished him off if they wanted to and no one would have given them trouble over it.

Figure Din's situation with the X-wings was on a bit of a sliding scale. If he's been a full part of the plot to the point of maybe killing the guard himself, they'd have arrested or killed him. I don't think they'd have let the spiders eat him regardless since they're basically decent people. If he'd managed to save the guard's life in addition to the rest, they might well have helped him patch his hull in addition to letting him go. If he'd actually gone to the NR authorities with the plot in the beginning and helped them shut it down without endangering any one, he'd have been in their good graces and could have given them his ID code without trouble.

In truth I think if patching the hull had truly been a matter of life and death, the pilots would still have helped. Since it was really more a matter of convenience (and since the guard did get killed) then nope. Still, Din can still potentially claim the bounties on the three criminals, which should help him get his ship repaired.

And in the meantime, Din has made "not unfriendly" contact with the New Republic - which he also knows is out looking for Imperials. I can't help but think that's going to be a thing in the future.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Nov 7, 2020

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Panfilo posted:

I like how they responded with “and also with you.” since that’s what happens in my head every single time because of Catholic school.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Corridor Crew put up their latest Stuntperson Reacts to Good/Bad stunts and they had the lady who was the stunt double for the Armorer on. Apparently that whole fight scene where she wrecks the stormtroopers was a one off they did hundreds of times.

It was also shot by Dave Filoni of all people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9Oa4rCROXM&t=300s

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

mistermojo posted:

its cool that the aliens are just clothed big versions of real animals

What do you think humans are?

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Everyone posted:

Figure Din's situation with the X-wings was on a bit of a sliding scale. If he's been a full part of the plot to the point of maybe killing the guard himself, they'd have arrested or killed him. I don't think they'd have let the spiders eat him regardless since they're basically decent people. If he'd managed to save the guard's life in addition to the rest, they might well have helped him patch his hull in addition to letting him go. If he'd actually gone to the NR authorities with the plot in the beginning and helped them shut it down without endangering any one, he'd have been in their good graces and could have given them his ID code without trouble.

In truth I think if patching the hull had truly been a matter of life and death, the pilots would still have helped. Since it was really more a matter of convenience (and since the guard did get killed) then nope. Still, Din can still potentially claim the bounties on the three criminals, which should help him get his ship repaired.

And in the meantime, Din has made "not unfriendly" contact with the New Republic - which he also knows is out looking for Imperials. I can't help but think that's going to be a thing in the future.

I disagree somewhat with him being able to claim bounties; that came about as a result of him committing a crime and governments aren't generally cool with letting criminals prosper for that sort of thing. The X-Wing pilots didn't seem so unhappy before he tried to bargain, pretty baselessly, with the bounties on the criminals. That struck me as Mando pushing his luck a step too far and the X-Wing guys deciding that yeah, their job is pretty much done since he's switched towards being a seemingly greedy jackass. They didn't know he had a passenger or a kid, or that a cockpit might not be enough for everybody.

I figured it was both sides sort of misunderstanding what was going on, since if Mando was alone what the NR guys did was pretty much a decent frontier western law enforcement type resolving an unofficial debt. That they think he won't get geeked for having his transponder on makes me think that the NR is going to quietly cancel the warrant upon review, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

CubanMissile posted:

I like how they responded with “and also with you.” since that’s what happens in my head every single time because of Catholic school.

I've read quite in a few "Making of" texts that this blessing is exactly what Lucas based "May the Force be with you" on.