Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

OxMan posted:

been around on the software level since the 360 in 2006. No one ever used it.
That stuff is not the same as the other stuff you listed because developers did use the default options in 360 because it was required that they did. When it's a certification requirement they have no choice.

Let's not piss all over a feature not being used until there's evidence of it not being used, eh? The public has no visibility into whether things are mandated by the platform holder or not so why assume the worst? Unless you like being grumpy and pessimistic...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

lmao i even played abit of a new game the other week or so and i still cant remember this cutscene. but oh man, look at that og hud, so much better.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I am dumb and misremembered

It does sound like they removed the screaming NPC from 3-1 though and I am not happy with that, unless they just removed him for the video.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

CJacobs posted:

The top right corner used to have the level name and number, and an icon that represented its current world tendency in real time, looks like it's been removed outright which is an interesting choice.

i think the icon in the new hud, the way its animated, might be the real time world tendency now maybe?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Hakkesshu posted:

I am dumb and misremembered

It does sound like they removed the screaming NPC from 3-1 though and I am not happy with that, unless they just removed him for the video.

Honestly it just won't be the same without RRRRrrrRRRRRGHHHH. PLEEEASE... HELP ME every two minutes.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Hakkesshu posted:

There's almost no chance they removed Rydell. Why make that assumption based on 30 seconds of footage?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Volte posted:

There's almost no chance they removed Rydell. Why make that assumption based on 30 seconds of footage?

Because I can’t hear him

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Hakkesshu posted:

Because I can’t hear him
Maybe they changed the range at which you can hear him, or had already rescued him in that video. I seriously doubt they deleted any NPCs from the game.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljAMpxifs4g

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
That shot of 3-2 in the end. :darksouls:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

What external hard drive should I get for all the PS4 games? I don't need anything fancy. Preferably something that doesn't need external power. I just want enough space for those 15 PS+ games coming at launch and a handful of other titles. Just want to leave maximum space on the PS5 SSD for PS5 games only

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

John Wick of Dogs posted:

What external hard drive should I get for all the PS4 games? I don't need anything fancy. Preferably something that doesn't need external power. I just want enough space for those 15 PS+ games coming at launch and a handful of other titles. Just want to leave maximum space on the PS5 SSD for PS5 games only

2TB drives often go on sale for $60 or so. Any brand will work fine.

I have this one for my PS4: WD 2TB Elements Portable External Hard Drive, USB 3.0 - WDBU6Y0020BBK-WESN https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06W55K9N6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_YUQPFb5NX0RDV

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Zerot posted:

2TB drives often go on sale for $60 or so. Any brand will work fine.

I have this one for my PS4: WD 2TB Elements Portable External Hard Drive, USB 3.0 - WDBU6Y0020BBK-WESN https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06W55K9N6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_YUQPFb5NX0RDV

I will second this exact drive, I just bought the 5 TB one about 2 weeks ago, I also have an older WD external from a few years ago that is still going strong.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

anothergod posted:

Idk why but I am super annoyed by the trolls coming in here complaining about the lack QoL improvements that I have literally never even considered.

I just want a console that isn't a beefed up PlayStation 2 for once. Can we just get that? It's been like twenty years.

What are you looking for in a console?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

One of the dumbest features I'm excited for is to see my game time on certain games

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ordered that hard drive. I assume I don't need to do any kind of formatting or anything?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Ordered that hard drive. I assume I don't need to do any kind of formatting or anything?

It'll do it for you when you plug it in to have it keyed to your account.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Harlock posted:

One of the dumbest features I'm excited for is to see my game time on certain games

you can see them now if you use exophase but some games might be bugged, as i've just discovered. so dont be surprised if some dont show up right. psn thinks i only played kiwami 2 for 6 hours a few months ago even tho i finished it in 60 hours and it thinks i spent 6mins completing re2r.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Nov 7, 2020

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

What the hell is with the HUD in Demons Souls lol
looks like an early access hud

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
Highly ugly distraction

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
the thick bright white lines on the ds hud elements suck balls. get that poo poo outta here

Zongerian
Apr 23, 2020

by Cyrano4747
No reviews still but here is hoping they didn't add fail poo poo like re specs and password matching to Demons Souls

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Why is password matching fail poo poo? Being able to play with specific people is great

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

yeah no password matching would be a huge disincentive to me, or it would be if anyone i knew would have a ps5 anyway.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Remake feels like too generous a term for the new Demon’s Souls. It seems like it is 99% the same game with an extremely well done coat of paint. It’ll be good because the original is good, but surely there were some stuff that even the original creators wished they could have tweaked after the fact.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I really like that the narrator went out of his way to mention that the game runs at 60fps when he gets to Valley of Defilement. One can only speculate as to why. :thunk:

And I agree that the UI looks a bit flavourless. I'm also not a fan of the new sword sound effects. They're so heavy on treble that I feel like they're about the give me tinnitus. I'm still really excited for this game but I do feel like a lot of the changes to the presentation were for the worse.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Zongerian posted:

No reviews still but here is hoping they didn't add fail poo poo like re specs and password matching to Demons Souls

Here’s what they said in the last interview they did

quote:

Are you introducing any sort of respec system?

Such as?

The ability to change your stats midway through, instead of committing to a certain build all the way through.

So what we have done is allow you to... Okay, let's talk about this a little bit... This might not be quick. I'm sorry. What we have done is we've updated the character creator. And we've given thousands upon thousands of new permutations where you can create and you can play. And then once you've chosen a character, what you can do is after you've paid a number of souls for it--in the Nexus--you can actually store your character and then go in and change your character in the Nexus. So that's the quick interpretation of it, I guess. I'll leave it up to you to find out where it is and how you do it.

So I guess they kinda did? I don’t really understand it :shrug:

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Ethiser posted:

Remake feels like too generous a term for the new Demon’s Souls. It seems like it is 99% the same game with an extremely well done coat of paint. It’ll be good because the original is good, but surely there were some stuff that even the original creators wished they could have tweaked after the fact.
What do you define a remake as if not making the same game again from the same blueprint? Remaking it, if you will?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
we've gotten so many updates of older games this gen that the line between "remake" and "remaster" has become blurry

there's a wide, wide gulf between an uprezzed port, a bluepoint graphics update, and something like FF7R

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Akuma posted:

What do you define a remake as if not making the same game again from the same blueprint? Remaking it, if you will?
It sounds like (from their description both in this video and their description of how they did SotC) it's actually the original underlying game code from the PS3 version with their own modular systems on top for rendering, audio, etc. It still qualifies as a remake to me, but it's different than the Resident Evil or Final Fantasy remakes which are actually new games from scratch that implement the same story and gameplay as the original.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

anothergod posted:

Idk why but I am super annoyed by the trolls coming in here complaining about the lack QoL improvements that I have literally never even considered.

I just want a console that isn't a beefed up PlayStation 2 for once. Can we just get that? It's been like twenty years.

Same I have never even one time considered the PlayStation UI or anything on that level in the entire time I’ve owned it. It’s a console for games.

I do like folders, but the PlayStation UI crams so much poo poo into your dashboard anyway that the folders feel like they can’t really clean it up that much.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Akuma posted:

I define it in video games the same way it is defined in movies or television shows. You reuse the same general pieces and ideas, but try to put your own spin on them or tweak them to fit more with the current day.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
FFVIIR is a sequel to the original which is acceptable if slightly insane thing to do

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Ethiser posted:

I define it in video games the same way it is defined in movies or television shows. You reuse the same general pieces and ideas, but try to put your own spin on them or tweak them to fit more with the current day.
So this is more of a "shot for shot remake" ala Psycho than The Fly, but by that token the first one is still called a remake...

Zongerian
Apr 23, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Volte posted:

Why is password matching fail poo poo? Being able to play with specific people is great

It's garbage play with everyone

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

WaltherFeng posted:

FFVIIR is a sequel to the original which is acceptable if slightly insane thing to do

Lol it's literally a remake, not a sequel

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

OxMan posted:

It makes me a Lil bummed to see you guys excited for system level stuff because the second AAA multiplat development starts in earnest, none of this stuff will ever be used again by most any game that's not Sony studios or PS5 exclusive. The difficulty system level stuff, along with options for example, for default inverted view, has been around on the software level since the 360 in 2006. No one ever used it. I was so stoked when I saw ps4 had native keyboard and mouse support. Outside of War Thunder, again, nothing. I think based on history those system level options will be used never and there's gonna be max, MAYBE 50, 100 games at most with smaller indies and such, that are even going to use the full haptic controller stuff, and if you doubt that, tell me how many ps4 games you've played where the touchpad and motion sensor were seamlessly integrated wholly into controlling a game, because even Sony gave up after like, making you wipe a stone tablet with the touchpad in uncharted or whatever.

I dont usually buy non sony games on ps if i can help it

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
Link explaining how game sharing works on PS5.

It's basically identical to ps4 with different wording.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

bradzilla posted:

its not. they only remade the first few hours. and then its clearly a sequelish with the remnants of sephiroth, those 3 from advent children trying to change time while the spirit thing trying to stop it or whatever but now zack is alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

bradzilla posted:

Yeah sure, and The Phantom Pain is Metal Gear Solid 5 instead of Metal Gear Solid V. You just keep telling yourself that.