Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

kastein posted:

I just drill through the corners from the back using the framing as a reference then go and draw lines between them. Oh, and hold a shopvac next to the cutter next time, even if it doesn't eliminate the dust it sure cuts down on it.

My former roommate left a trailer full of tools for me to use, it has hardie shears in it.

I also bought the wrong size window.

Speaking of reaping the rewards of my own idiocy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Oh no

What happened, rough opening vs actual size mismatch? That's one gently caress-up I've never made.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Step one: cut hole and measure the framing in the wall you did 18 months ago because you probably don't remember correctly.

Step two: buy a window with those dimensions.

Is what I should have done. I replaced step one with "guess" it's just an off-the-shelf from HD though, I can return it.

No one local to me has a 36×48 single hung, so it's on order.

HD is completely out of Tafco casement windows in sensible sizes, and all the window dealers (Anderson, Milgaard etc.) Are such a pain in the rear end to deal with. Just list prices on your website and let me order online you loving dinosaur assholes.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I am now watching both you and Kastein rebuild houses that I might have just burned down and hoped not to get caught for insurance fraud. :)

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I've made soooooo many jokes about that, my insurance policy has a $425k fixed price replacement policy, they won't lower it.

The county must have seen the roofs on the garage and house, because they did their 5 year drive by and raised my taxed valuation for "structures and improvements" by $50k, assholes.

Anyway, lazy Sunday, started staining the French doors with Spar Urethane.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
They hit everyone on the KP for a bunch this year even with no improvements done, so you might have just gotten unlucky.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

kastein posted:

They hit everyone on the KP for a bunch this year even with no improvements done, so you might have just gotten unlucky.

I don't do poo poo to my house as far as improvements, they still raise the assessment stupid amounts every year, they don't need or give a reason.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Elviscat posted:

Not too bad, could've used a little more vibrating, there's some porosity there, it'll work though.

I need to get some more cookware now that my roomates have moved out.

If you have an Ikea, we've had really good luck with their cheap non-stick stuff. It works better than name-brand stuff, in our experience, and I read an article claiming that basically no non-stick lasts, however expensive it is, so just get the cheap stuff and replace often.

Elviscat posted:

UPDATE: don't cut hardie backer with an angle grinder, if you do, don't wait until you're halfway done to put on your respirator, if you do that, don't do it in 2020 and spend the next 24 hours playing "respiratory distress caused by inhaling concrete dust or the COVID you're quarantined for"

It was just the concrete dust.

Uh, yeah, don't breathe that poo poo.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Darchangel posted:

If you have an Ikea, we've had really good luck with their cheap non-stick stuff. It works better than name-brand stuff, in our experience, and I read an article claiming that basically no non-stick lasts, however expensive it is, so just get the cheap stuff and replace often.

Uh, yeah, don't breathe that poo poo.

Thanks for the recommendations!

To my credit I left and put a respirator on pretty quick.

Today, sketchy window transport:

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

RE: cookware, I've been looking into this recently and apparently using nonstick cookware for everything is "wrong" and I'm supposed to only have one nonstick pan for eggs. My current nonstick cookware is pretty scratched up from metal utensils (I know) which is supposed to not be good for you. However, it seems like the just get cheap Ikea stuff and replace it more frequently would work out. There are nice stainless steel sets out there but they're pretty expensive, I keep on meaning to go to HomeGoods and see if I can find them at a huge discount (which everyone online says I should be able to do).

I did recently get a Lodge cast iron skillet for $27 that I've been using all the time and it's great.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
Ikea’s 365 stainless cookware is cheap enough for “I need it now” and perfectly serviceable until you decide to upgrade. I have a full “nice” cookware set and I still use the Ikea pot with strainer insert that I bought 17 years ago when I was a freshman in college because it’s such a good size and convenient.

You don’t have to either buy the one cookware set to rule them all or have nothing to cook with. When you’re ready to upgrade give the cheap stuff to a women’s shelter or refugee center or something. They always need stuff to help people get set up in independent apartments. It’s not like when you’re fleeing for your own safety you can bring the dishes.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

IMO just get one good, heavy 10 or 12" pan with a lid and branch out from there as needed.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I have the pictured frying pan, a nice non-stick Dutch Oven and I think a lot of the other stuff will be coming from family soon, I'll flesh that out next year, really appreciate the recommendations.

I've been through a few sets of non-stick stuff over the years, and it bugs me on frying pans since it always gets trashed so quick, steel wool and the stainless are way better. I'll probably pick up some nice non-stick pits and sauce pans though.

Windows went in today, I mega hosed up and didn't verify the finished size on the Tafco website, and home depot just lists the rough opening size, so I had to use plywood to shim some sides and give me some meat for screws to grab onto. That made me really sad, but it was a learning experience.

Check out how these Tafco "double casements" are put together:

That silicone is the ONLY thing holding the two sections together, thanks Tafco! I could've done that myself.

Made for very bendy windows when trying to get them in place.

But they are!

They're everything I could ever want from a super cheap casement, the mechanism is robust and smooth, the locking bar is well made, and compensates for the degree or two the window is out of level well, it looks like they'll be pretty easy to service if they break.

If HD ever stocks them again I'll be buying sets of 2 regular casements and mounting them close though, that "connection" is janky as gently caress.

Ripped out the old lovely frame for the old lovely slider, found some interesting poo poo that I forgot about when building the deck.

Oh well, nothing vicor and mortar can't fix.

This is a woodpecker, they love to drop suet all over my deck.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

First set of French Doors in!

The cheapo hardware is from the front door, just holding it in place because I still need to do a couple layers of stain, and I don't want to stain my nice new hardware, whole house is getting matching sets of mediocre Baldwin hardware.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Check out how awesome and level my kitchen floor is.

Didn't stop me from getting the French doors in to replace the slider, I sized both doors to fit this hole, because I didn't want to rip the whole wall open in the kitchen, which is not under remodel at the moment, it went pretty well, they hosed around an put 2x6's in to kinda half-rear end fir the old slider to the vinyl siding, so I tore that out and put some new 2x4 king studs in, the existing header APPEARS to be adequate.

Either way the second set of doors are in. I'm not thrilled with the reveal where the doors meet, but the jamb was kinda fucky and I think that's the problem. Otherwise I'm super thrilled with how they look.

Ran out of Vycor most of the way through waterproofing the windows.

The doggy pictured behind the doors helped level out the mortar for the porch door in the future new bedroom.

smoothed over them, they'll be in the mortar permanently

Throwing a Lowes special $250 full-light steel door in there, because it likely won't be used much, and I'm not paying >$600 a door for every door on this stupid house, but once that's done the house will be sealed back up, and maybe this winter won't be too awful.

E: I love these doors so loving much, the previous kitchen slider was super hosed up, the outside handle was broken, and you had to HAUL on it to get it to close because of that pictured hump (of course they didn't shim it level) and the screen door would just fall off the tracks, also because of the hump.

Plus that fir looks so good with the spar varnish on it, it's worth every penny of the 2x what a set of Lowes or HD French doors cost. They operate perfectly, a light push and the latch clicks, no fiddling to get it to close or the deadbolt to operate, exactly as it should be. The cheapo Baldwin hardware is perfectly functional, and so much nicer than the "GATEKEEPER" Walmart lock, pictured on the 1st french door, in function, plus they're all rekeyable, so they're all keyed the same, I've wanted this for years.

Plus look at the spare I made for my GF.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Oct 31, 2020

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Man, the property looks gorgeous, but I have to ask...

When it comes to not just knocking the place down and starting over from a muddy plot, because it sounds like you'd have had less work approaching it from that direction, is it because there was something genuinely worth keeping about the interior/exterior or just because it took a while to realize how hosed the place was?

Because the impression here is that you're left with not an awful lot from the original structure by the time you're done with this.

Also :gonk: at finding asbestos in there, that's always been one of my nightmare scenarios when I've been out doing plumbing work. Mesothelioma scares the poo poo out of me.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Not the OP, obviously, but there are at least two problems that come to mind with knocking a place down (make that 3):

1. Where do you live?
2. Getting a building permit in your jurisdiction and all of the related legal mess with a knock down and rebuild.
3. Your mortgage company won't like not having an asset to sell when you default.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

Man, the property looks gorgeous, but I have to ask...

When it comes to not just knocking the place down and starting over from a muddy plot, because it sounds like you'd have had less work approaching it from that direction, is it because there was something genuinely worth keeping about the interior/exterior or just because it took a while to realize how hosed the place was?

Because the impression here is that you're left with not an awful lot from the original structure by the time you're done with this.

Also :gonk: at finding asbestos in there, that's always been one of my nightmare scenarios when I've been out doing plumbing work. Mesothelioma scares the poo poo out of me.

Pretty much what the poster above me said, with the following additions:

-If I knew how bad the foundation was, it would have changed the calculus (deliberate measures were taken to hide it, btw)

-you can technically live in it while you remodel

-permitting is a relative nightmare.

-the timeframes for remodeling are more lax, tou can start a project then slacken off

-all told it'll probably still be $25,000ish cheaper to remodel, bulldozing would require major excavation, new septic etc. Several parts of the house can probably be saved, like, uh, the rafters.

-I had hoped to dig up some neat old architectural stuff that could be restored, and I've found some things, like milled-on-site 25' boards used in the flooring or siding, it's just not salvageable though, based on damage to the house over the last century. In general the house was a cobbled together piece of poo poo when it was built, since it was built to be a lumber camp, the intervening 110 years have not improved that.

-Asbestos is bad, but if you can remediate and handle it properly it's not horrible, there's actually very little, and I can and will encapsulate the little that's left with approved products.

Not a ton of progress this week since I've been slammed with work, had my family and GF over for the last time before I destroy the downstairs, there's a fire in the stove and it's cozy.

This week the zipper walls go up, and the remaining drywall on the first floor comes down.

Hrvstmn31
Aug 2, 2014

You did what in your cup?
Maybe I missed it but what type of insulation are you gonna put up behind the drywall. I've only done sparse research on it and didn't take notes which is a terrible habit.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Hrvstmn31 posted:

Maybe I missed it but what type of insulation are you gonna put up behind the drywall. I've only done sparse research on it and didn't take notes which is a terrible habit.

I'm just going with typical R-21 Kraft-faced fiberglass batt, all the walls will be exposed which lets me insulate it like a new house, and the walls will all be furred out to 2by dimensions, which lets me fit R-21 and also get the walls level.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Got the bottom plate notched and installed for the outside wall, friction fit on the lowest floor joists, because I'm a super pro measurer and planned it that way I got lucky still need to shim under the higher joists, and then I'm going to put some steel ties on all the joists I can, just to tie everything in a little better. Then a rim joist and sheeting will go on.

I'm unsure if I need a capillary block here, so I'll put one on for fun.

It's super fun working in the drip line under a busted gutter in November in the PNW.

Finishing this mini-project (drainage, landscaping, etc) will probably be on hold until summer after that.

Also got the zip doors installed for the gutting of the rest of the downstairs. One to the kitchen, one to the upstairs.

Moving the last of my roomates' old furniture tomorrow, and the couple items I had laying around, then the real fun begins.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
Are those still the original wooden floors inside? Anything salvageable in them? Because it has a very satisfying rich colour.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Nah, that's just cheap MDF laminate.

The original flooring is buried under there, but because the house has sagged so much, and because the walls were built on top of it, it's just not salvageable, which is a shame because it was milled on-site when this property was a lumber encampment 110 years ago.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Elviscat posted:

Nah, that's just cheap MDF laminate.

The original flooring is buried under there, but because the house has sagged so much, and because the walls were built on top of it, it's just not salvageable, which is a shame because it was milled on-site when this property was a lumber encampment 110 years ago.

It's a bummer that nothing much is salvageable, would be cool to be able to say that 'this part here was milled on site 110 years ago'.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Elviscat posted:

The doggy pictured behind the doors helped level out the mortar for the porch door in the future new bedroom.

smoothed over them, they'll be in the mortar permanently

I was going to yell at you if you didn't leave the prints there for some future person to find and laugh/wonder at.

quote:

Plus look at the spare I made for my GF.

Probably not a big deal with glass doors and all, but might be a good idea to blur or otherwise obscure the teeth on that key. Black Hat talks have told me they can reproduce keys from that picture. Of course, Black Hat has also told me that most rekeyable locks are almost trivially easy to brute force. Hell, most home-grade locks, for that matter...

Those french doors look great!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Lol it's a kwikset/qwikpick anyways, even if you blurred it any competent lock nerd can pick that in 5 seconds, drunk, with a paperclip and a spring out of a windshield wiper blade. And any crook is going to pick the window with a brick instead. I wouldn't sweat it.

Looking good - always nice when the house holds itself up again.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Darchangel posted:

Probably not a big deal with glass doors and all, but might be a good idea to blur or otherwise obscure the teeth on that key. Black Hat talks have told me they can reproduce keys from that picture. Of course, Black Hat has also told me that most rekeyable locks are almost trivially easy to brute force. Hell, most home-grade locks, for that matter...

Did I miss the part where he also listed his home address?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

The Locator posted:

It's a bummer that nothing much is salvageable, would be cool to be able to say that 'this part here was milled on site 110 years ago'.

Yeah, at least the floor beams and studs and stuff I'll be able to say that about.

Darchangel posted:

I was going to yell at you if you didn't leave the prints there for some future person to find and laugh/wonder at.

I thought about that! But as pointed out, there's nothing valuable in my house outside the gun safe, my doors are glass, anyone who has the capability to make keys from a picture will pick my in 10 seconds, and all the good stuff is in the garage, protected by a ½" sheet of plywood "door" with a master lock on it.

I do appreciate you bringing it up though, it's always good to think about security!

In that vein, I ripped the plywood separating the remodel from the rest of the house, and realized I should secure the new door somehow, but I had to run out to my GF's for dinner, and didn't have time to install the lock set. Sooooo:

kastein posted:

Lol it's a kwikset/qwikpick anyways, even if you blurred it any competent lock nerd can pick that in 5 seconds, drunk, with a paperclip and a spring out of a windshield wiper blade. And any crook is going to pick the window with a brick instead. I wouldn't sweat it.

Looking good - always nice when the house holds itself up again.

Thanks man! The Smartkey reverse sidebar cores at least take a wee bit of knowledge and skill to pick
https://youtu.be/XqsAFdFsQmQ

I thought about getting fancier hardware, then I said gently caress it, if my house gets burgled it'll be by methheads smashing a window.

Thanks for the encouragement too, I'm entering a tough phase right at the start of the PNW's "long dark" where it gets dark at 4pm, and rains non-stop, it's triggering some remodel anxiety and I'm being less productive than I should.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I drew some lovely floor plans, dimensions kinda accurate, 1 square=1 foot, the unlabeled drawing is the 2and floor.

Partly to square the next bits in my mind, partly to procrastinate on any real work.

Thinking out loud here: next steps are demo drywall and floor->set beams->demo old walls->redo floor->build new walls, fir old walls square->demo stairs->rebuild stairs->build drop ceiling->wire->plumb->insulate->drywall->paint->install flooring->millwork

Sprinkle inspections in to taste.

Then work on redoing siding and whatnot.

Easy! I have 7 months to do all that, maybe.

gently caress me.

Bonus: I found a picture of the rotten wall I had to rebuild prior to putting in the new deck. It's loving awesome.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I think if I saw that wall I'd just give up. I forget if you said this, but are you able to have heat in the house right now, or at least are you free from the elements? It got Los Angeles cold here recently (high 40s) and drat that would suck to not have four walls for that, and we don't even have the rain you have.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I'm pretty lucky on that front, the downstairs has never been able to be heated effectively because it's so drafty, but the kitchen has a wood-burning stove, which will keep it toasty, and the upstairs where my bedroom is is actually well insulated, and a little electric oil heater keeps it warm enough for cheap (electric bill typically went from ~$75 to over $300 in the winter) and I have a new roof, so everything's good and waterproof. More electric heat can be brought in if needed, and I've got the zip doors up to stop air transfer. I've gotten opening and sealing openings in the envelope of the house down pretty good.

My big habitability concern is that from age 14-19 I made money crawling through attics and crawlspaces running wires, years later I developed a horrific allergy to mouse excrement from that, it triggers an asthma attack, my eyes swell shut, I break out in hives, and end up in so much pain I can't move or do anything.

The upstairs closet door is foamed shut for that reason. Contaminated air was blowing in.

Every joist bay in this house has a mouse nest in it.

To work around this poo poo, I have to wear a respirator, and maintain perfect 100% respirator hygiene, which is difficult.

E: *snip*

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Nov 13, 2020

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I didn't want to, but I installed a window today because the weather broke and it was very nice.

Apparently I was smoking crack when I framed the opening, and I made it for a way too big window.

Hardie shears are really nice.

Cut

Caulk

Flash

Very nice not having a prison bathroom again.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Huh, I hadn't spotted that big ol' chimney before. Does the place have a wood-fired furnace or something similar?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Yup! Nice little wood burning stove in the kitchen, helps keep the electric bills down, heats only the kitchen and the upstairs somehow.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Physics... It's everything.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Everything is so bad.

https://youtu.be/XrPcEMd3JL4

It's gonna be a busy weekend.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
:lol:
Your title makes more sense every day.

Good luck!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Haaaaaahahahaha :suicide:

Jesus gently caress even my place didn't have ridiculous poo poo like THAT going on with the floor.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I don't even understand what I'm looking at. Is that furring over self-leveling compound?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Original floor->furring->self leveling compound.

Basically patches on top of patches to scam people into renting/buying a house that was rotting into the ground. I think.