Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

Oh yeah this is a real big one. One of the things that CLOD was supposed to implement -- don't know if they actually did, but it would help explain the lovely performance -- was a complete physically simulated engine model. All 16 pistons running on their conrods, valves opening and closing, fuel going in and exhaust coming out, air going into the supercharger, yada yada. The idea being that if you were shot in the engine, yes, the bullet would damage specific components and create ~~realistic~~ engine failures, like power loss because a cylinder was punched open or oil pressure dropping because a line was cut, as opposed to just rolling a die and failing some subsystems which is IMMERSION BREAKING and I CAN TOTALLY TELL.

agh get hosed

Lol what do they want, ANSYS running in the background just for the engine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

piratepilates posted:

Is there any literature or research of damage suffered to engines historically? I'd imagine it's easy enough to just randomly choose between:
- engine is fine
- engine is running slower
- engine doesn't work at all

when you get hit, and that'd closely enough match what it was like if an engine got hit.

I doubt it really matters. It's not like fighter pilots would know that the bullet hit cylinder #3 and now the manifold pressure is dropping and now he knows that he has 30 less horsepower so he needs to change his angle of climb to maintain speed or whatever. They would just check their gauges and make sure everything is within acceptable ranges and keep going. As long as the plane is still flying, exactly what part of the engine got shot up is a problem for the maintainers, not the pilot. And the pilot definitely isn't getting back to the air base and saying "bullshit, I know for a fact the bullet came in from this direction and should have it the intake manifold, not the magneto"

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

piratepilates posted:

Is there any literature or research of damage suffered to engines historically? I'd imagine it's easy enough to just randomly choose between:
- engine is fine
- engine is running slower
- engine doesn't work at all

when you get hit, and that'd closely enough match what it was like if an engine got hit.

What if you just told them you totally did it, lock down the source code, and absorb the kudos?

Unless the game has a mechanic feature (upcoming DLC), it's not like they can get out and look.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
While flight sim devs have committed almost every sin in the Game Dev Bible, straight up lying to their customers about features hasn’t been one of them (yet).

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i mean would it count as lying when you install a password cracker into your paying customers' computers and then, when discovered, first claim it doesn't exist, then claim it "only activates when it detects a pirated version," despite third-party hackers determining that it cracks all your passwords and emails them to the developers immediately regardless of the situation?

if a sim developer had done something like that, i mean.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

Sagebrush posted:

i mean would it count as lying when you install a password cracker into your paying customers' computers and then, when discovered, first claim it doesn't exist, then claim it "only activates when it detects a pirated version," despite third-party hackers determining that it cracks all your passwords and emails them to the developers immediately regardless of the situation?

Pretty Mean Development, Guys

e: oh wait, it was FSLabs that did that. PMDG also nuked your FS install though if you had pirated versions. Not just like their product didn't work, it would delete essential game files and you'd have to completely reinstall it.

i am kiss u now fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Nov 7, 2020

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I landed on a carrier for the first time! Been addicted to VTOL VR. I've not really gone far with military flying stuff since it gets overwhelming quick in any game I've tried before, but it's just the right mix in VTOL to feel progress and challenge.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnDyllHN6cI

Hugely wish for something similar to do GA instrument approaches with with a nice VR friendly flight deck. I haven't figured out VR for X-Plane yet, but hope to soon.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

uXs posted:

This is exactly what I want to do as well. Well, or buy one.

What are you planning to do for pedals? And monitors?

The design of my rig will have me flying flight sims and general gaming with the seat all the way back. The stick center mounted, throttle on the left side, pedals bolted to the chassis floor. For racing, I remove the stick extension from the base, slide the seat all the way forward, and there is a second, elevated heel rest underneath inverted fanatec CSL pedals. It ends up putting me in a roughly GT1 type seating position, with the rudder pedals just forward and underneath my knees and out of the way. Monitor is going to be wall mounted with a swing arm for general gaming, but I plan on most simming to be done in VR.

MrYenko fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Nov 7, 2020

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Sagebrush posted:

It astounds me that there was no legal action as a result of that. I mean that's almost cyber terrorism.

Stingwing
Mar 26, 2010

Thank you Mr President for Making America Great Again! USA #1! I shouldn't have to understand other cultures, I'm a god damn American hero.
I think this scam also counts as lying:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIyZw39ZiX8

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

One of my favorite things in P3D is being able to turn on visualizations for airspace, VORs, instrument approaches, and things like that—guessing MSFS doesn't have those functionalities out of the box?

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

HookedOnChthonics posted:

One of my favorite things in P3D is being able to turn on visualizations for airspace, VORs, instrument approaches, and things like that—guessing MSFS doesn't have those functionalities out of the box?

It does for airspace/navaids/fixes, hit f on the map screen when making a flight.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I think its a pretty simple request that Flight Sim 2020 just simulate every single thing happening on earth with every single citizen of earth and every building be perfectly rendered.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I want to crash into my friend as he's driving to work.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Same but in game

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
OPERATION BLIND DRUNK
Mission for 2020 November 14 @ 2000 UTC

It is a period of civil war. Georgia is split between pro-Soviet pinko commies and freedom-loving capitalist Georgians. A US carrier group has moved in to assist in defense as the Reds mount an assault.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15Grz7yEp70GOFfjch3zD1mp2TpDStdapDdqNVTAOu6c/edit#gid=0

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

What's the exact model/variant of the C172 in MSFS2020 (not the Glass cockpit one)? My lady wants to get me a proper checklist but needs to know the specific one I guess, she says the checklist in-game is dogshit, but I told her that it just says "Skyhawk" without a letter next to the name so I don't quite know. She also noticed there's several things different in the sim to the one that she flies IRL. I take it these things have variants up the rear end and are basically the VW Bug of the sky.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It is a Cessna 172S with G1000. The premium edition bonus one is also a 172S but with regular avionics.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Speaking of obsessive damage models, guess what DCS WW2 has now... (online test server only for now).
I like my sims really "simmy" so damage models that do stuff like CloD and now DCS are right up my alley, can't have do many finite states and new ways for things to go wrong.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Sagebrush posted:

It is a Cessna 172S with G1000. The premium edition bonus one is also a 172S but with regular avionics.

Thanks!

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

downloaded flight sim to try on my new monster rig, went to do a tutorial and they were all grayed out. somehow the 95GB download did not include any tutorial mission or indeed any aircraft, which must be downloaded from the content manager within the game. what the gently caress is going on with this program

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Jenny Agutter posted:

downloaded flight sim to try on my new monster rig, went to do a tutorial and they were all grayed out. somehow the 95GB download did not include any tutorial mission or indeed any aircraft, which must be downloaded from the content manager within the game. what the gently caress is going on with this program

I’ve had that happen as well, but not every time I’ve installed it.

:iiam:

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

you'd think "downloading content" was an extremely loving solved problem at this point in history

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Jenny Agutter posted:

you'd think "downloading content" was an extremely loving solved problem at this point in history

welcome to flight sim

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

sitting for a couple hours doing nothing while my GPU is pegged at 100% because there's a 3d hanger rendered behind the 16GB download progress bar. i'm sure it'll be worth it but lol

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Is that new? I never had to do that when it came out. Maybe they are trying to make the initial download smaller for people.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
They had to come up with a cross-platform (Steam, etc) way to allow their own marketplace and moddability. The Windows UWP stuff wouldn't allow you to access the underlying files and development mode would be basically impossible without them externalizing the whole bulk of their modifiable content.

So basically they wrote all this stuff because Windows Store apps are sort of terrible.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Jenny Agutter posted:

sitting for a couple hours doing nothing while my GPU is pegged at 100% because there's a 3d hanger rendered behind the 16GB download progress bar. i'm sure it'll be worth it but lol

Turn on v-sync from your video card's control program, like Geforce Experience or something.

I think this is how The Sims 3 fried video cards too back in the day. Since there's nothing to render the GPU would just run frames into infinity and make them redlined on the menu screens.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
That is part of why I force a capped frame rate in the Nvidia control panel. At least then it won't try to run anything at 3000fps or what have you.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
What's the best way to play Flight Sim 2020? I want to have mod support when the mod community starts fixing areas that are kinda fuctup.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

Otis Reddit posted:

What's the best way to play Flight Sim 2020? I want to have mod support when the mod community starts fixing areas that are kinda fuctup.

On a computer connected to the internet.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Otis Reddit posted:

I got it on steam because I wanted the premium deluxe package and Microsoft’s store just isn’t robust and there’s some strange fuckery going on if you buy the DLC versions on gamepass where if you ever cancel gamepass you have to buy the whole game again.

Steam also doesn’t lock down the whole install directory like the windows store version does so while this probably doesn’t matter much for mods, who knows, it might in the future.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

GutBomb posted:

I got it on steam because I wanted the premium deluxe package and Microsoft’s store just isn’t robust and there’s some strange fuckery going on if you buy the DLC versions on gamepass where if you ever cancel gamepass you have to buy the whole game again.

Steam also doesn’t lock down the whole install directory like the windows store version does so while this probably doesn’t matter much for mods, who knows, it might in the future.
This was the right move, too, my guy. The Windows Syotr gets confused between my Windows and XBox gaming accounts (for some reason I had to have a separate Win10 XBox account) and then for a month or more I couldn't access many of the a/c in the sim.The last patch fixed that, which is nice, but Steam has been super easy to use and I have a ton of Steam games already, I should have just bought it there (where I had X-Plane 11.)

Microsoft is very unreliable in some ways.

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

I wonder how many "avionics are suddenly just turning off" reports were from people leaving the ignition switch on Start after they received their honeycomb yokes

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Mine would suddenly turn off when changing between internal and external cameras. Sometimes it would get stuck in the external mode and have a person modeled in the cockpit and the screens off.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Otis Reddit posted:

Don't buy any version but the basic bitch one. Any *premium* plane is DRMed and can never be fixed by the community. Windows store vs steam doesn't really matter too much.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Bedurndurn posted:

Don't buy any version but the basic bitch one. Any *premium* plane is DRMed and can never be fixed by the community. Windows store vs steam doesn't really matter too much.

Cannot emphasize this enough. Unless you’re attached to the included airports (imo don’t be, spend your money on third party ones) the planes aren’t worth it.

The best current “vanilla” planes are all the ones the community can team up and fix and improve heavily.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Cojawfee posted:

Mine would suddenly turn off when changing between internal and external cameras. Sometimes it would get stuck in the external mode and have a person modeled in the cockpit and the screens off.

Having the pilot pounding on the cockpit for you to rescue them was a real nice touch they did.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

First Time Caller posted:

I wonder how many "avionics are suddenly just turning off" reports were from people leaving the ignition switch on Start after they received their honeycomb yokes

Ooh hey look its me, I am that pilot. That explains everything now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So since FS2020 came out I've built a new PC (not for this, but it helps). For some reason my Game Pass app doesn't want to install FS2020 now though, it constantly gives me an error over installing something called "Digital Ownership".

Anyone had this? I was thinking about buying one of the bigger versions of the game anyway (via Steam), but I'd kinda like to figure this Game Pass issue out first though.