Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

DC Murderverse posted:

look I made that as joke about Dave Grohl being the physical manifestation of what's left of rock but this song is lame

play Everlong

They played Everlong at Christmas 2017.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
play pretender

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

EL BROMANCE posted:

They ended it with a setup that could’ve actually been funny, but they ran it as a punchline. Waste.
Yeah, the dude being married and his wife going missing had potential.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

an improvised gently caress Trump song would’ve been better

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Deutsche Bank wants their money back.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

BoosterDuck posted:

play pretender

this is actually the first Foo song I ever listened to, I didn't hear their earlier stuff until Rock Band

Foos are one of those bands that I understand are great and very talented but I don't get as hype for them as I probably should. Like Jack White, although lots of White Stripes songs bang

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
Van Halen cover would also be acceptable

"Right Now" would be cool and timely

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

honestly every time Dave comes on SNL I realize how much Che owes his comedic voice to him, but I can't see Che ever pulling off those serious moments that make the funny poo poo Dave says hit harder

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

lol this weekend update owns

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
“You wanted a Gordita Crunch, and you got a Chalupa.”

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
When he opened with that first "I" I thought they were gonna cover "Heroes", that would've been cool.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

CapnAndy posted:

When he opened with that first "I" I thought they were gonna cover "Heroes", that would've been cool.

same

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes
Hell yeah Che is blitzed and it's delightful. Everyone is so happy.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXgkuM2NhYI

Well, we can fix it

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

that video clip is pretty fuckin' great

the trump dude clearly was not expecting that and just goes "what" while the anchor returns cool as a drat cucumber

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Foo Fighters are tight! (again)

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

a decount

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

DC Murderverse posted:

that video clip is pretty fuckin' great

the trump dude clearly was not expecting that and just goes "what" while the anchor returns cool as a drat cucumber

The isolated clip without the bleeping, but phonecammed

https://twitter.com/briantylercohen/status/1325155039879471104?s=21

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
This was a classic episode.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

SNL is more entertaining when everyone's got the stick out of their rear end and a few drinks in 'em

edit: "pollsters"/"polesters" got me before I could see it coming and I lost my poo poo, nothing better than a pun that catches you by surprise

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

So what're you guys gonna do with the rest of your night?

I think I'm gonna watch Downfall.

No reason.

pwn
May 27, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

The isolated clip without the bleeping, but phonecammed

https://twitter.com/briantylercohen/status/1325155039879471104?s=21

Thank you my dude :thumbsup:

Edit: in kind please accept this unrelated-but-equally-satisfying phonescam from tonight

https://twitter.com/livi_tho/status/1325243904296247296?s=21

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

this sketch is cute

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
Episode was alright. 4 years ago the show was written around Dave, and this felt more like Dave just being thrown into sketches haphazardly. Neil Brennan brought closure to the Chappelle's Show mess with the 2016 election sketch/Walking Dead parody, and his absence from the writing was greatly missed tonight.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

MorrisBae posted:

Episode was alright. 4 years ago the show was written around Dave, and this felt more like Dave just being thrown into sketches haphazardly. Neil Brennan brought closure to the Chappelle's Show mess with the 2016 election sketch/Walking Dead parody, and his absence from the writing was greatly missed tonight.

it's a shame Neil's too busy making jokes about a 15-year-old starting an onlyfans page

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Times Like These is acceptable

Semi-Protato
Sep 11, 2001

Missed the first Foo song, what did they play?

pwn
May 27, 2004

Semi-Protato posted:

Missed the first Foo song, what did they play?

Shame Shame

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I think I laughed more at this SNL than I have in a long time, but I always get a kick out of when they break, and drat if that didn't happen a ton tonight.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
That snl loving ruled. Just give them all drugs and set em loose.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
Loved Dave Chappelle opening with a long anecdote about his great grandfather, which you expect to turn into some profound observaiton about the promise of America, only to end it with a joke about how he gets no royalties from Netflix for Chappelle's Show.

Surprised we didn't see a reprisal of the "election night" sketch from 4 years ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHG0ezLiVGc
It's good they were able to resist the urge.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

america, look at pete davidson's lips

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

CapnAndy posted:

Also same. Then felt foolish when I realized that it wasn't.

Owned when they finally broke into the song.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Sivart13 posted:

That's a particularly pessimistic take! He's definitely gonna keep having a hissy fit but there isn't really a legal path back from this, even with the supreme court on his side.

I struggle to imagine him actually staying in the white house after January without the country going full molotov. Elected conservatives will be content to hold on to their do-nothing split senate and jettison the Trump liability.

I legitimately wanted to let everyone enjoy this victory this weekend before responding. I wrote this last week in the Wisconsin thread and it’s what’s been keeping me from getting much good sleep for the last six seven weeks.

pwn posted:

Mackieman posted:

[Wisconsin state speaker and noted shitheel Robin Vos] is not actually involved with certifying the election... right?

The power to appoint electors lies with the legislatures, and they’ve been openly discussing their plans to take advantage of people’s ignorance of how elections work.

quote:

Trump’s instinct as a spectator in 2018—to stop the count—looks more like strategy this year. “There are results that come in Election Night,” a legal adviser to Trump’s national campaign, who would not agree to be quoted by name, told me. “There’s an expectation in the country that there will be winners and losers called. If the Election Night results get changed because of the ballots counted after Election Day, you have the basic ingredients for a shitstorm.”

There is no “if” about it, I said. The count is bound to change. “Yeah,” the adviser agreed, and canvassing will produce more votes for Biden than for Trump. Democrats will insist on dragging out the canvass for as long as it takes to count every vote. The resulting conflict, the adviser said, will be on their heads.

“They are asking for it,” he said. “They’re trying to maximize their electoral turnout, and they think there are no downsides to that.” He added, “There will be a count on Election Night, that count will shift over time, and the results when the final count is given will be challenged as being inaccurate, fraudulent—pick your word.”

The worst case for an orderly count is also considered by some election modelers the likeliest: that Trump will jump ahead on Election Night, based on in-person returns, but his lead will slowly give way to a Biden victory as mail-in votes are tabulated. Josh Mendelsohn, the CEO of the Democratic data-modeling firm Hawkfish, calls this scenario “the red mirage.” The turbulence of that interval, fed by street protests, social media, and Trump’s desperate struggles to lock in his lead, can only be imagined. “Any scenario that you come up with will not be as weird as the reality of it,” the Trump legal adviser said.

quote:

We are accustomed to choosing electors by popular vote, but nothing in the Constitution says it has to be that way. Article II provides that each state shall appoint electors “in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct.” Since the late 19th century, every state has ceded the decision to its voters. Even so, the Supreme Court affirmed in Bush v. Gore that a state “can take back the power to appoint electors.” How and when a state might do so has not been tested for well over a century.

Trump may test this. According to sources in the Republican Party at the state and national levels, the Trump campaign is discussing contingency plans to bypass election results and appoint loyal electors in battleground states where Republicans hold the legislative majority. With a justification based on claims of rampant fraud, Trump would ask state legislators to set aside the popular vote and exercise their power to choose a slate of electors directly. The longer Trump succeeds in keeping the vote count in doubt, the more pressure legislators will feel to act before the safe-harbor deadline expires.

To a modern democratic sensibility, discarding the popular vote for partisan gain looks uncomfortably like a coup, whatever license may be found for it in law. Would Republicans find that position disturbing enough to resist? Would they cede the election before resorting to such a ploy? Trump’s base would exact a high price for that betrayal, and by this point party officials would be invested in a narrative of fraud.

The Trump-campaign legal adviser I spoke with told me the push to appoint electors would be framed in terms of protecting the people’s will. Once committed to the position that the overtime count has been rigged, the adviser said, state lawmakers will want to judge for themselves what the voters intended.

“The state legislatures will say, ‘All right, we’ve been given this constitutional power. We don’t think the results of our own state are accurate, so here’s our slate of electors that we think properly reflect the results of our state,’ ” the adviser said. Democrats, he added, have exposed themselves to this stratagem by creating the conditions for a lengthy overtime.

“If you have this notion,” the adviser said, “that ballots can come in for I don’t know how many days—in some states a week, 10 days—then that onslaught of ballots just gets pushed back and pushed back and pushed back. So pick your poison. Is it worse to have electors named by legislators or to have votes received by Election Day?”

When The Atlantic asked the Trump campaign about plans to circumvent the vote and appoint loyal electors, and about other strategies discussed in the article, the deputy national press secretary did not directly address the questions. “It’s outrageous that President Trump and his team are being villainized for upholding the rule of law and transparently fighting for a free and fair election,” Thea McDonald said in an email. “The mainstream media are giving the Democrats a free pass for their attempts to completely uproot the system and throw our election into chaos.” Trump is fighting for a trustworthy election, she wrote, “and any argument otherwise is a conspiracy theory intended to muddy the waters.”

In Pennsylvania, three Republican leaders told me they had already discussed the direct appointment of electors among themselves, and one said he had discussed it with Trump’s national campaign.

“I’ve mentioned it to them, and I hope they’re thinking about it too,” Lawrence Tabas, the Pennsylvania Republican Party’s chairman, told me. “I just don’t think this is the right time for me to be discussing those strategies and approaches, but [direct appointment of electors] is one of the options. It is one of the available legal options set forth in the Constitution.” He added that everyone’s preference is to get a swift and accurate count. “If the process, though, is flawed, and has significant flaws, our public may lose faith and confidence” in the election’s integrity.

Full read, and everybody should read it in full. But to make it short (and I reiterate: Read the full story): Trump will almost certainly declare victory on Tuesday night, when early results show him ahead, and probably even if they don’t, because lol, and then he will be on the trail and on the tweets, rampaging about fake ballots and magically increasing Biden votes as the millions of absentee ballots are counted over the coming days and weeks. You may see him holding rallies (these will not stop with the end of voting) and people chanting, “STOP THE COUNT! STOP THE COUNT!” And with the deadline approaching for the electoral college to convene, states with Republican-controlled legislatures may carry out this evil plan.

Point is, the only real hope of overthrowing the fascist is an overwhelming victory, on or as close to election night as possible... and that’s not likely.

Go read it

I was extremely heartened that the media at large has taken the approach of treating Joe Biden as the next president since Saturday morning, rather than giving Trump oxygen. But the slow burn is burning, and the point of all the lawsuits and recounts continues to be not to achieve results in the court of law, but to achieve results in the court of public opinion. After weeks of this poo poo, it’ll seem “okay” for republicans to ignore the will of the people.

I hope it doesn’t happen. Just being aware that this is the goal of the fascists. With any luck, they’ll be unsuccessful. I’m theorizing that this hasn’t been widely spoken of in the news media because they are actually acting responsible for a change and do not want to legitimize the idea by dint of discussing it as a possibility. But I’m a dumbass who writes about SNL so what do I know

P.S. Vos is already started on doing his part to destroy democracy.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

He’s currently 0-10 on lawsuits during all this. And lol if any state decided to just “appoint electors” against the will of the people it would make Freddie gray riots look like a child’s birthday party.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
They'd burn down every AutoZone. :monocle:

Stabitha
Mar 11, 2005

You lookin' at me? Don't.

CapnAndy posted:

Remarkable work by SNL's team to get Kamala's suit duplicated this quick, I gotta say.

I just came across this article about Maya’s suit. They recreated it in like 85 mins. 😳 I’m amazed by the talent that works behind the scenes at SNL.

https://www.popsugar.com/fashion/ma...UWY9dqgtoe6zPCY

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Stabitha posted:

I just came across this article about Maya’s suit. They recreated it in like 85 mins. 😳 I’m amazed by the talent that works behind the scenes at SNL.

https://www.popsugar.com/fashion/ma...UWY9dqgtoe6zPCY

It really is. I remember when undercover boss came out and it was like “why can’t they do wigs like SNL they have tons of time”

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Baldwin's Trump playing "Macho Man" on the piano was pretty funny. Good job guys, five years in with the character and he was finally funny!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

General Dog posted:

Baldwin's Trump playing "Macho Man" on the piano was pretty funny. Good job guys, five years in with the character and he was finally funny!

The tweet has been deleted (???) but I capped it