Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Hi I got some Oneaudio Pro-30s the other days because my open SHP9500s just didn't have enough bass to make my head hurt. I found a Peace/APO setting for the SHPs but can't find one for the Oneaudio. Can anyone take a guess at a Peace/APO setting that'd work well for them? I don't always want to blow my ears out with bass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mesopotamia
Apr 12, 2010
I've had a pair of NAD HP50s for the last 4 years, which finally gave up the ghost and broke this week.

When I bought these, Bluetooth headphones were only just starting to take off and the quality was roundly considered a bit meh. Do you now get actually great audio from them?

Almost exclusively will use them with my phone, but also still lucky enough to have a headphone jack if that means better audio.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Any impressions of the new Grado true wireless IEMs?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Just looking at the specs compared to the price, I think you could do better. 260$ is about the same as what the Sony WF-1000XM3 cost, which come with active noise cancelling, configurable touch controls, their own software (which gets regular regular updates both app- and firmware-side) and better overall battery life. Not seeing anything about an IPX rating either, although they both have that in common. Can't speak to the audio quality, but my WFs are excellent and the Grados would be pretty hard-pressed to do better.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Lowness 72 posted:

Any impressions of the new Grado true wireless IEMs?

The only grados worth getting are the SR80e

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Well have I got news for you!

Which is why I was considering their wireless IEMs but my hunch is they are just rebranding some cheap-o chinese IEMs and slapping their logo on. No way they are reproducing Grado open-ear sound with those.

Lowness 72 fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Oct 25, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It's possible. They do look basically identical to a number of cheap Chinese earbuds I've seen while browsing Amazon, both in terms of how the earbuds themselves are shaped and in how the charging case looks.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Lowness 72 posted:

Which is why I was considering their wireless IEMs but my hunch is they are just rebranding some cheap-o chinese IEMs and slapping their logo on. No way they are reproducing Grado open-ear sound with those.

I can tell you with 100% certainty Grado does not make that product. Grado Labs is 10 people in a run down basement in Brooklyn, I've been there. They're not making wireless IEMs. They probably gave some tuning notes to whatever oem they're working with but there's no universe in which those things are worth $259.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
My Beyerdynamic DT 770 have broken after six years of abuse. I think I got the recommendation for them from this thread, so now I'm back. Should I just get an identical replacement, or is there something else I could look at? I need something about the same in terms of functionality, but my budget is larger now (say, 300 USD). Removable cable would be a plus, but I don't want wireless.

Edit: strongly considering ATH-M70X. I have a pair of ATH-M50X at work, and they are very needs suiting.

Athas fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Oct 30, 2020

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Hey. I'm used to using earbuds and on-ear headphones and I recently got a pair of closed-back ones. I don't know if I'm too used to the other two kinds, but it seems like the bass is way too loud. Like I can barely tell individual double-bass notes apart, it's just overpowering noise. Is there a way I can change the settings on Windows 10 to make it less noticeable?

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Very much has to do with the headphones you're using. Which models are you talking about?

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
LVL40 Wired headset.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Spermando posted:

LVL40 Wired headset.

Well there you go, that's pretty much what all $30 gaming headsets sound like.

e: if you can return those and you really only have $30 to spend and you need closed back headphones, go for the monoprice retro, they're surprisingly good for gaming and don't sound like complete rear end.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Nov 4, 2020

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Are there any particularly good inexpensive wireless Bluetooth earbuds for iPhones? All I care about is that they will work reliably and have decent sound

Been doing research but trust goon opinions over Amazon

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

anker soundbuds curve are good for the $20-ish they usually go for

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Soundbuds are great in all but freezing weather.

For cold weather I have the KSC75 with a bluetooth adapter clipped inside my cloak. Anything with the battery in the earpieces just goes "nope" in Finnish weather.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The Anker earbuds give a warning on Amazon that they're explicitly not compatible with the iPhone 11 and up. I don't know which one that is, since I'm an Android user, but if you specifically want them for an iPhone then you should probably make sure about that first.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
?? weird, I have an iPhone 11 Pro with soundcore spirit x 2019 and they work fine. For $30 it's decent enough sound.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

powderific posted:

?? weird, I have an iPhone 11 Pro with soundcore spirit x 2019 and they work fine. For $30 it's decent enough sound.
I was specifically talking about the Anker Soundbuds Curve that Clark Nova mentioned, so that's probably the reason. Those have a big honking

quote:

Please note: This item is not compatible with the iPhone 11 series

warning at the top of their details. The Soundcore Spirits seem to be fine.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

iirc the iphone 11 was had bluetooth issues when it first launched. There are people in the amazon reviews saying it works as of iOS 13.2, but I don't have an iphone that new to test it with myself :shrug:

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't see that warning on the current listing that says "upgraded" at the beginning, though I totally believe that it was there and that it was a thing. I guess be careful if you do pick them up to make sure it's actually upgraded and not old stock. Or just do the soundcore spirit x for a few bucks more.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Hm, there's a different listing for what seems to be the exact same earbuds without that warning, so I'm not sure what's up with that. Well, who knows? :shrug:

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Looking for bluetooth earphones similar to the picture attached with one very specific feature - I want to be able to advance the song by double clicking on a button. It seems that all these earphones that I've looked at require you to press down on the volume up button for 2 seconds to advance the track which I don't like. Anyone have any recommendations? Preferably under $70 USD and USB-C charging if possible.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Busy Bee posted:

Looking for bluetooth earphones similar to the picture attached with one very specific feature - I want to be able to advance the song by double clicking on a button. It seems that all these earphones that I've looked at require you to press down on the volume up button for 2 seconds to advance the track which I don't like. Anyone have any recommendations? Preferably under $70 USD and USB-C charging if possible.

The android 'standard' is 2 clicks on the headphone cable button for next track, 3 clicks for back one track, 1 click for play/pause. So.. bascially most headphones do this. It's the player app that might be the thing.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

My 10 year old wants wireless headphones and threw out airpods as a suggestion. She really hates the fit/feel of the Apple earpods (or whatever the heck they call the included earbuds these days, they're too big for her ears basically) and is using a pair of cheap in-ear earbuds with replaceable tips.

Is it reasonable to assume that airpods are a bad option if she hates the standard Apple headphones and I should just look at some in-ear option instead?

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Nov 6, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Airpods Pro would be an option, they're a completely different kind of shape and much more like standard silicon-tip earbuds than those weird-rear end earpods. They also cost like a two hundred dollars, though, and do you really want to hand those a ten year old? I'd recommend looking at some cheaper alternatives, there are plenty of recommendations for that on the last few pages of the thread.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Maneki Neko posted:

My 10 year old wants wireless headphones and threw out airpods as a suggestion. She really hates the fit/feel of the Apple earpods (or whatever the heck they call the included earbuds these days, they're too big for her ears basically) and is using a pair of cheap in-ear earbuds with replaceable tips.

Is it reasonable to assume that airpods are a bad option and I should just look at some in-ear option instead?

It's absolutely reasonable to assume airpods are bad. All airpods. A ten year old does not have any need for $100+ headphones.

KSC75+bluetooth adapter is my go-to right now, and it's amazingly comfortable. Might be too large for her. Wouldn't do in-ear for a child, it often causes problems.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
There’s the new $50 Beats earbuds and the $150 Beats earbuds and the $250 Beats earbuds if you want Apple convenient features on some Bluetooth earbuds and aren’t worried about a flat frequency curve. Since you’re considering AirPods these are totally up your alley.

There’s also stuff like the Solo 3.

If you leave the ecosystem there’s a lot of good options in different form factors and price points from companies like Plantronics, etc.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Cardiovorax posted:

Airpods Pro would be an option, they're a completely different kind of shape and much more like standard silicon-tip earbuds than those weird-rear end earpods. They also cost like a two hundred dollars, though, and do you really want to hand those a ten year old? I'd recommend looking at some cheaper alternatives, there are plenty of recommendations for that on the last few pages of the thread.

Yeah, $100 for airpods on sale I'm ok droping, but airpods pro are probably a bridge too far bug agreed on the fit.

endlessmonotony posted:

It's absolutely reasonable to assume airpods are bad. All airpods. A ten year old does not have any need for $100+ headphones.

KSC75+bluetooth adapter is my go-to right now, and it's amazingly comfortable. Might be too large for her. Wouldn't do in-ear for a child, it often causes problems.

Sorry should clarified “are AirPods bad if you hate the feel of the Apple in the box headphones” was my real question and I've edited my post accordingly. Airpods are fine, just have a specific fit question.

Ok Comboomer posted:

There’s the new $50 Beats earbuds and the $150 Beats earbuds and the $250 Beats earbuds if you want Apple convenient features on some Bluetooth earbuds and aren’t worried about a flat frequency curve. Since you’re considering AirPods these are totally up your alley.

There’s also stuff like the Solo 3.

If you leave the ecosystem there’s a lot of good options in different form factors and price points from companies like Plantronics, etc.

Yeah, BeatsX on sale or Beats Flex maybe are reasonable other options here, they also have the W1 chip which is nice.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Nov 6, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Maneki Neko posted:

Sorry should clarified “are AirPods bad if you hate the feel of the Apple in the box headphones” was my real question.
Yeah, the standard AirPods would be a definite no for her, they're the same basic shape as the earpods Apple ships with their phones. You can just Google image search for it, I'm pretty sure that shape is what you're talking about there.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, the standard AirPods would be a definite no for her, they're the same basic shape as the earpods Apple ships with their phones. You can just Google image search for it, I'm pretty sure that shape is what you're talking about there.

Thanks, thats what I was assuming!

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

redeyes posted:

The android 'standard' is 2 clicks on the headphone cable button for next track, 3 clicks for back one track, 1 click for play/pause. So.. bascially most headphones do this. It's the player app that might be the thing.

No, that's not correct. Most of these bluetooth headphones with a volume / play / pause remote control that I've seen are 2 seconds hold the volume up button to advance to next track.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Busy Bee posted:

No, that's not correct. Most of these bluetooth headphones with a volume / play / pause remote control that I've seen are 2 seconds hold the volume up button to advance to next track.

Huh, all the ones I have are actual clicks but its probably specific to the brand. I have 6 pairs of various not good ones though.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

redeyes posted:

Huh, all the ones I have are actual clicks but its probably specific to the brand. I have 6 pairs of various not good ones though.

Bluetooth In-ear earphones? Can you share which ones you have?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

redeyes posted:

Yeah, it's entirely a manufacturer thing. Most of them provide the user manuals on their website for download, so you can just browse for one that has the kind of controls you want and buy that.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think busy bee is hoping one of the people who has headphones that do that will chime in with a mfg and model so they don’t have to go on a PDF hunt. The anker soundcore spirit I have do the long press thing. My Bose QC 35 v1 have double tap to skip to next track, but I don’t know about their earbuds.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Hey thread, I'm in the market for a new pair of walking around headphones after finally getting sick of in-ear buds not staying in my left ear no matter what I try. I've been eyeing up the Audio Technica M50x's but figured I'd ask in here if anyone had any better ideas. One of the things I really want is a detachable cable because my work enviroment seems to eat headphone cables and being able to just replace the cable instead of the whole lot appeals to me, as does being able to swap out for different length cables.

Budget - Around £100-150
Source - iPhone SE2 with the Apple dongle and my old iPod which I listen to stuff out of when working on projects so I'm not constantly distracted by the internet, so wireless is out.
Isolation Requirements - Yeah, since I want these for walking to work and such.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over ear
Past Headphones - I have a pair of AKG K92s at home that I really like, but the long cable makes me not want to use them outside home.
Preferred Music - Basically everything (including rap and country) but recently mostly jazz and kpop.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Nov 8, 2020

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

The Bose quietcomfort 35 II is $199 now on Amazon.

I’m looking to get some noise cancelling headphones for my gf and I’m wondering if there’s any better deals for under $200.

She isn’t an audiophile or anything, and likes cranked up bass. Mostly the noise cancelling is important along with general comfort and Bluetooth wireless. The Alexa stuff doesn’t matter.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Snowy posted:

The Bose quietcomfort 35 II is $199 now on Amazon.

I’m looking to get some noise cancelling headphones for my gf and I’m wondering if there’s any better deals for under $200.

She isn’t an audiophile or anything, and likes cranked up bass. Mostly the noise cancelling is important along with general comfort and Bluetooth wireless. The Alexa stuff doesn’t matter.

You could probably save a bit of money on Sony WH-900 or refurbished 1000XM2 or 1000XM3. If that isn't a huge concern, the QC35 will be exactly what she is looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I got a set of cheapo wireless buds last year or maybe it was this year I dunno but I shoulda known the sound would leave me wanting. Klipsch just released an updated version of their buds in the zippo case so I picked up the original T5 on sale on amazon. Very happy so far. Gf always has trouble with earbud "squishies" but out of box they fit my ears fine, so snugly that I've had the rubber turn inside out when pulling out of my ear. But the sound detail is much closer to what I expect. One thing I noticed was listening to an old folk song and hearing the guys lips open before he began to sing.