Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Kenny Logins posted:

pocket doors are a good move if you want your “””doorway””” to gradually become an arch nobody bothers with anymore

if you’re living in less than 1000 sq ft the area that normal swinging doors make unusable adds up fast.

pocket and other sliding doors are probably good for claiming back ~100 sqft in a 2 bedroom 2 bath apartment with a few closets.

not to mention the wall space where you might be able to add a bookshelf or something that the open door won’t block it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

if you’re living in less than 1000 sq ft the area that normal swinging doors make unusable adds up fast.

pocket and other sliding doors are probably good for claiming back ~100 sqft in a 2 bedroom 2 bath apartment with a few closets.

not to mention the wall space where you might be able to add a bookshelf or something that the open door won’t block it.

Yeah, this is the first place I've ever lived (aside from living with my parents as a kid) where I've not just blocked all interior doors open (aside from the bog and bathroom and the wind closet*) with this or that piece of furniture. It's 99 square metres so it's pretty big for an apartment in Finland. A previous tenant did remove the door from the vestibule to the kitchen for some reason (I found it in the attic).

*) And interior front door, which is technically an interior door. But I don't have one now because the house is old. Anyway.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

3D Megadoodoo posted:

wind closet*)

*) And interior front door, which is technically an interior door. But I don't have one now because the house is old. Anyway.

we call those arctic entries

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Fool posted:

we call those arctic entries

I live about 700 km from the Arctic circle. So we don't.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I just remembered my first apartment (one room, vestibule, bathroom cum bog) and because my bed blocked the door between the vestibule and the... room room, I was pleasantly surprised when I moved out and found I had stashed a vacuum cleaner behind the door at some point when moving in (it was probably my mum's). So now I have two vacuum cleaners.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
yeah in a 2500 sqft 4 bedroom suburban house it won’t make much of a difference.

my place used to have a hallway that was just empty space to let 3 doors (closet, bedroom, bathroom) swing open.

that got walled on one side and replaced with 1 sliding barn style door and suddenly my closet goes from 50 to 100 sqft by pulling this hallway space inside it.

it’s nice to be able to close spaces off, but a solid core sliding/pocket door is a lot more space efficient if you can do it.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Truman Peyote posted:

I really hate the way barn doors look. it's like steampunk for people who describe themselves as "a little bit country"

e: we had a pocket door when I was growing up and I dont believe it has ever been closed except for when we had new dogs that hadn't been trained not to walk on the carpet yet

you dont have to make everything rustic if you dont want to. Mine is just an aluminum extrusion.

the issue is that if pocket doors jump the rail or of parts fail, well, you probably have to rip the wall open to fix them. And you also usually cut a few studs away to mount em and unless you're completely reframing, you're not gonna be adding headers for them.

barn doors are better if you have a place for the door to slide to.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
I just want star trek doors for all my rooms complete with *woosh* noise when they open and some underpaid stagehand pulling the cord behind the scenes.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I've never actually seen a barn with a "barn door" by the by. I'm sure they exist. Having just wide double doors was a pain in the rear end because you needed a shot lead of clearance.

they're pocket doors but the door slides on the outside of the wall instead of being concealed like so

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

TerminalRaptor posted:

I just want star trek doors for all my rooms complete with *woosh* noise when they open and some underpaid stagehand pulling the cord behind the scenes.

same but slide whistle sounds

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

rotor posted:

my bathroom has a pocket door

sticking an unlockable door on a bathroom?

kinky

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

pseudorandom name posted:

sticking an unlockable door on a bathroom?

kinky

? they lock about as well as most interior doors, you just gotta get a latch

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

my house only has doors that open up, like a DeLorean

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

My front door is custom-made with a rounded top and 120 years old now and doesn’t close properly from the outside so I’ve never ever left the house from the front.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Fortaleza posted:

My front door is custom-made with a rounded top and 120 years old now and doesn’t close properly from the outside so I’ve never ever left the house from the front.

or by any other means, we know

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

TerminalRaptor posted:

Hey that stage hand gets paid scale just like everyone else!

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

rotor posted:

? they lock about as well as most interior doors, you just gotta get a latch

lol no they don't

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Fortaleza posted:

actual_david_mitchell_big_red_button_in_the_living_room.youtube.mp4

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

fair point

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I sleep in a big door with your wife.

you rather bastard

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Jonny 290 posted:

always tryin' to jamb it in

heyo!

alway twisting the ol’ knob

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I live about 700 km from the Arctic circle. So we don't.

That does seem like it might be a p.long hallway?

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

3D Megadoodoo posted:

bathroom cum bog

:same:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
lol we're gonna close the last two weeks of the year and that means that we're required to burn 6 vacation days

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lol we're gonna close the last two weeks of the year and that means that we're required to burn 6 vacation days

they trying to desperately save money or something?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

my job is closed then too but I don't need to use time to do it

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
we typically close at the end of the year for like a week or so to chain up the holidays, but they've never required us to take most of our vacation for it before

it's dumb, my boss just doesn't want to pay people to come in for like a day or two before xmas

but hey it's cool we're allowed to go up to -24 hours of vacay lol small business

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Truman Peyote posted:

my house only has doors that open up, like a DeLorean

I liked that joke about how wherever you drove your DeLorean, the white lines on the road all disappeared

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I've never had a job till now that has given me anything but Xmas Eve, Xmas, and new years day so I'm pretty excited to day drink and play Vidya for a few days

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

people aren't taking time off so pto balances are getting unwieldy

do you have any idea how much it pains a cfo or treasurer to see a large pile of cash just sitting in an account and not being allowed to properly invest it?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

It sucks that since non-holiday Saturdays count, there's no way to get a full two weeks of Winter vacation this Yule. I have to work on Monday the 22rd and it's stupid.

e: I mean I guess I should be happy that six vacation days gets me a net of 13 days off, but I'm not.

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

bonus points if you live in the UK where it seems architects conspire to place radiators in the shittiest spots and seem to strongly despise proper rectangular rooms.

(that and the houses are already tiny)

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I liked that joke about how wherever you drove your DeLorean, the white lines on the road all disappeared

lol

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

qirex posted:

people aren't taking time off so pto balances are getting unwieldy

do you have any idea how much it pains a cfo or treasurer to see a large pile of cash just sitting in an account and not being allowed to properly invest it?

my job let us cash out unused pto, I brought my balance down to 60 hours from 200

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

with the joys of unlimited pto I've banked nothing while taking little time off :sun:

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

PokeJoe posted:

with the joys of unlimited pto I've banked nothing while taking little time off :sun:

lol owned

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

there’s a lot to laugh about john delorean but on a clear day you can see general motors is a good read

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

PokeJoe posted:

you're doing it wrong. take at least a week every quarter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

PIZZA.BAT posted:

you're doing it wrong. take at least a week every quarter

this didnt work for some of us in 2020 because sometimes its better to stay logged into slack and keep an eye on things than sit in the house watching the same tv and loving up the same loaves of bread you would be baking anyways, but now you have no idea what the gently caress is going on at work, and you'll come back in a week everybody would be all DID YA HAVE A GOOD WEEK OFF? WHAT DID YOU DO? and you just get sad all over again.

i tried a week off around may and it was loving terrible