Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
death rear end, the rear end that eats.

I'm looking for a new challenge to get me out of my comfort zone. I'm not great at stealth characters so I was thinking about trying to do a low level run where I'm filching the runes. Do people have advice for this, or suggestions for other fun challenges?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
My favorite challenge run is alternating mashing tab and o until I die or win.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
Good news:
Boulder beetles got unremoved!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Either 10+1=12 now or something weird happened.

Does non-body armor actually benefit from the armor skill? Because a friend suggested that's what's happening but as far as I knew armor skill only affected body armor.

e: I have been informed in the discord that aux armor does, in fact, benefit from armor skill. Well then.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Nov 9, 2020

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

f

and in one shot too, impressive

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Woo, that's a real 'gently caress you' moment right there.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Thankfully meaningless unless you care about win rate %

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
Win rate can’t drop below 0 at least.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Honestly I kind of love quick level 1 deaths like that. They tend to be so quick and ridiculous that they're more funny than anything.

My favorite was probably getting killed by a kobold with explosive darts on level 1. Or a fun "get shafted to level 3, take one step and get shafted again to level 6".

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
I'm pretty sure I've lost at least one game to a unique spawning in with a +9 branded weapon and just obliterating me on D:2 because I didn't stop to actually look to see what Terrence or whoever was holding

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010

Epsilon Plus posted:

I'm pretty sure I've lost at least one game to a unique spawning in with a +9 branded weapon and just obliterating me on D:2 because I didn't stop to actually look to see what Terrence or whoever was holding

There's a reason +12 club has its own entry on learndb.

Sometimes the game just wants Ijyb to be a purveyor of death, I guess??

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
I've been playing crawl casually for a long time. Never got too far. I have discovered that listening to a LitRPG audiobook and getting my crawl on is just about as close to turning my brain off as I can get while the sun's up and it's awesome.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Well, 0.26 is shaping up to be... something. Food and hunger removed in favor of the Zot clock, centaurs removed, Charms removed, staves of energy, summoning, and wizardry removed, Summon Butterflies removed. There's a lot that's being removed and some things being added in for ???

https://github.com/crawl/crawl/blob/master/crawl-ref/docs/changelog.txt

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

So Pikel is now basically a summoner. I kinda liked how his slaves would fight for you once you killed him. Nothing major lost but another bit of flavour gone...

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

YOU CAN LOOK AT A PILE AND IT WILL TELL YOU EVERYTHING IN IT!!! where has this been all my life

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

code:
* Spiny Frogs are renamed Cane Toads, for a more authentic Australian
  experience.
I support this.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Unimpressed posted:

So Pikel is now basically a summoner. I kinda liked how his slaves would fight for you once you killed him. Nothing major lost but another bit of flavour gone...

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup: Another bit of flavour gone...

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
This soup's starting to taste pretty bland

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup: Another bit of flavour gone...

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup: Just a rock in some water

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

I like demon pikel and think it's a good reworking of the flavor

I hated leaving his slaves around to kill poo poo on the floor, but offing them always felt weird to me, too (I still did it)

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

FlocksOfMice posted:

obviously the moral of the stone soup story was that all of the meat and vegetables were overpowering the flavour of the rock and ruining the whole thing

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

FlocksOfMice posted:

You see here a bowl of soup, but you are confounded by it. It seems that you do not know how to eat.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
I guess there's also the advent of Kimchi now ( https://www.reddit.com/r/roguelikes/comments/jy50lb/kimchi_is_what_dcss_should_have_become/ ), but those are surely Some Changes.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I've not actually played DCSS in ages, but keep tabs on this thread. So I'm reading the patch notes with disattached interest, and wondering about a few things:

* Monsters don't forget about the player while the player is off level.
-> Seems like a big stealth nerf? Was there something else going on?

* Centaurs are removed.
-> The PLAYER CHARACTER, not the monster. Holy yikes.

Charms being gone is no surprise, it's been long and slow in coming. I guess I'm glad it's finally done? There's a lot of other small good changes, especially Kobolds being super low-LOS now, and can equip stuff to enhance that. Berserker boots, etc.

As usual, a bit of a mixed bag. Anyone got experiences on the final state of no-food-clock?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the crustacean race in kimchi is loving fun as hell and i love just being literally a crab. the molting mechanic is neat.

Problem Sleuth
Apr 12, 2011

WELCOME TO THE NEW FUTURE
No food is good imo

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Unimpressed posted:

Every instance of slave/slavery has been removed. don't @ me about enslavement

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

some of the "slave" related text in the game was really gross

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Serephina posted:

Charms being gone is no surprise, it's been long and slow in coming. I guess I'm glad it's finally done? There's a lot of other small good changes, especially Kobolds being super low-LOS now, and can equip stuff to enhance that. Berserker boots, etc.

As usual, a bit of a mixed bag. Anyone got experiences on the final state of no-food-clock?

I just finished a 15-rune win+zig in the Weekly Challenge game on CPO. Basically there's no food and no hunger-based mechanics, berserk has no hunger cost, just the para and slow at the end. The hunger changes will really only affect low level mages or high level trolls. But the real value is no cognitive load dealing with food.

Also, there are now big toads that will nuke you from orbit in Swamp. The LOS stuff is cool. Scarf of shadows was invaluable in yoinking golden rune.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
Did they fix the stuff with the Zot Clock punishing you for getting shafted? Uh both literally and figuratively.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Kchama posted:

Did they fix the stuff with the Zot Clock punishing you for getting shafted? Uh both literally and figuratively.

The clock is massive now, more so than before. Also, I play formicid 90% of the time and shaft frequently, never dealt with bezotted status

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

if anyone was missing distillation/evaporate poo poo, crawl kimchi has an entire god dedicated to granting you those abilities and also letting you distill potions into various essences which you can explode on enemies or directly 'infuse' into them for even more effects. including an essence that can straight up have a chance of dispelling buffs on tougher enemies if you need it. the great wyrm rules, can recommend. the 4 gods added in this fork all seem cool as hell, although i'm still not entirely sure what the legion from beyond does yet other than boosting your summoning by randomly giving you some summon spell books and letting you tell summons to stay put.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
potion seller,

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the great wyrm is the potion seller except they get uncomfortably excited about you using their potions instead

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Gotta chase that dragon, man.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
I think this is a good find on my Gooncrawl Abom:
code:
G - the +11 plate armour of Card Tricks (worn) {rF+++ rC++ Int+4 Stlth-}.

A full suit of solid metal plate: cuirass, pauldrons, vambraces, waist plate and
greaves. It provides excellent protection. 

Base armour rating: 10       Encumbrance rating: 18
Wearing mundane armour of this type will give the following: 12 AC

It affects your intelligence (+4).
It renders you almost immune to fire.
It greatly protects you from cold.
It makes you less stealthy.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Johnny Joestar posted:

if anyone was missing distillation/evaporate poo poo, crawl kimchi has an entire god dedicated to granting you those abilities and also letting you distill potions into various essences which you can explode on enemies or directly 'infuse' into them for even more effects. including an essence that can straight up have a chance of dispelling buffs on tougher enemies if you need it. the great wyrm rules, can recommend. the 4 gods added in this fork all seem cool as hell, although i'm still not entirely sure what the legion from beyond does yet other than boosting your summoning by randomly giving you some summon spell books and letting you tell summons to stay put.

this sounds cool, is there a webtiles server where i can play crawl kimchi?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

someone awful. posted:

this sounds cool, is there a webtiles server where i can play crawl kimchi?

apparently it's hosted here: http://joy1999.codns.com:8081/

also i clipped images of the 4 new gods added in the fork, because they're neat

agraphede is neat and especially cool if you really want to focus on poison magic. they sometimes gift various poison-related spells (even got evaporate at one point, which plays into the ability to convert curing potions into poison), and are really big on things being poisoned in general. including you. any resistance you have will be stripped, and using a curing potion puts you under penance. when it says it converts a % of damage into poison, it means damage done to YOU. so a chunk of it is dealt out slowly instead of immediately. along with the variety of weird utility spells you just more or less start living on the edge of life and fill yourself with toxins to entertain the vermin god while also being able to inflict it on enemies you might not normally be able to.

already talked about the wyrm, but basically it's one of those 'toolkit' kinda gods like gozag where you can feasibly fit it into any character if you know what you want to do. the god-granted distill/evaporate cost mostly nothing but MP and don't key off of any spellcasting skills so you can use them on anyone independent of armor usage or whatever else. really fun if you like juggling a bunch of neat things to explode on enemies.

imus thea is another fun kinda gimmick god, and some of their boons seem sort of reminiscent of things other gods can grant, such as dith or hep, but overall i feel like the theme comes together a lot better. they outright disallow heavier gear in favor of letting their godly presence deflect ranged attacks and you can also do some fun poo poo with your own. definitely goes well with races that can't even wear most gear as it is.

gonna be frank here, i have barely any idea what the legion does other than gifting spellbooks with some summon spells in it and granting random stuff like 'telling a summon to sit still'. i find summoners boring as poo poo so i don't exactly have a huge urge to explore this one too much.

overall i earnestly kinda wish some of these would make it into more branches. they're fun and thematic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

tylertfb posted:

I think this is a good find on my Gooncrawl Abom:
code:
G - the +11 plate armour of Card Tricks (worn) {rF+++ rC++ Int+4 Stlth-}.

A full suit of solid metal plate: cuirass, pauldrons, vambraces, waist plate and
greaves. It provides excellent protection. 

Base armour rating: 10       Encumbrance rating: 18
Wearing mundane armour of this type will give the following: 12 AC

It affects your intelligence (+4).
It renders you almost immune to fire.
It greatly protects you from cold.
It makes you less stealthy.

I've... got to admit, that's probably one of the best randarts I've ever seen. Could have been a ring, but wow.