Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

I said come in! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyIB2J8fVSk&t=13s gameplay footage of Watch Dogs Legion on Series S with the next-gen update. Its running at 1080p, 30FPS, and ray-tracing enabled.

This is impossible, everyone said the Series S wouldn't be able to do anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lmao last gen: 1080/30

Next gen: 1080/30 but better lighting

Lemme turn that off and run it at 60fps at least you cowards

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Lmao last gen: 1080/30

Thanks to The Wrong Ram, many Bone owners are at 900/300 anyway.

Bowners, if you will.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

they are called boners

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

so whats the deal with a series X on a non-variable refresh rate display?

hopefully games let me decide to crank detail and stick to 60fps instead of pushing the pointless higher refresh rates that my TV cant do.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Laserface posted:

hopefully games let me decide to crank detail and stick to 60fps instead of pushing the pointless higher refresh rates that my TV cant do.

I think all games are built around the expectation that you'll be playing at 60fps (or 30fps) and the 120fps is just an alternate option.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Laserface posted:

It's up to the developers I think. Yakuza 7 has 1440 60 and 4k 30 options for instance (ill be using the 1440 60). While it'd be nice for large amounts of customization in settings across the board, looking at a few next gen enhanced games, it seems developers will be giving more options this generation in general.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Shitloads of Aussies have their series X already. Still two more days for me, which is a day late.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
This account has been uploading footage of a ton of classic Xbox games running on Series X. Oblivion loads so quickly.

https://youtu.be/KBV1cMWwG1I

Morrowind too.

https://youtu.be/SdtrjNadE_I

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Did MS put out any notices for in-store sales? A local retailer is boasting about a launch event with a goodie bag for 99 first purchases.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Hmm. My Series S is now in my Devices online, which shows my warranty is from the date of the order in September and not the date of actual release. That's a bit lame.

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!

Akuma posted:

Hmm. My Series S is now in my Devices online, which shows my warranty is from the date of the order in September and not the date of actual release. That's a bit lame.

My SeriesX shows the warranty expiring in Jan 2022. I assume it’s a 1 year warranty, so that doesn’t make much sense either

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Biodome posted:

This account has been uploading footage of a ton of classic Xbox games running on Series X. Oblivion loads so quickly.

https://youtu.be/KBV1cMWwG1I

Morrowind too.

https://youtu.be/SdtrjNadE_I

nice

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Zerot posted:

https://twitter.com/XboxGamePass/status/1325513418242215938?s=20

Disney Plus may be coming to Game Pass as a part of the Game Pass Perks program.

microsoft bought disney???

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

also lol at 1080p 30fps i feel like the next gen consoles are just slowly walking back to where they started at this point

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Pending charge from Amazon (US) appeared on my bank statement. No email of shipping yet.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Communist Thoughts posted:

also lol at 1080p 30fps i feel like the next gen consoles are just slowly walking back to where they started at this point

Watch Dogs is running like poo poo on everything so I'm not reading too much into it.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Are there any Irish (ROI) goons following stock who could help me source one tomorrow?

:edit: the XSX specifically

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Thom12255 posted:

Watch Dogs is running like poo poo on everything so I'm not reading too much into it.

just seems like raytracing definitely isn't worth investing this much hardware in, its just a dev-time-saving replacement for baked lighting it seems.

i thought they were going all in on trying to get things running close to 4k 60fps but it doesnt seem like it. even the ps5 is still targetting 30fps 4k for the demon souls remake of all things

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
The average video game consumer really cares about their games looking good. It's easy to look at screenshots or videos of a game and see great graphics but it's much harder to see how smooth the gameplay feels*. I suspect that one of the big reasons Call of Duty is so popular is the focus on 60 fps even if only a fraction of the people playing it each year can identify that as a reason.

One of the good things about the half-step consoles this generation is the addition of "quality" and "performance" as options. I personally have mixed feelings about them being in console games but it lets people make a choice.

*There's also the fact that games that make a decision to support high framerates get dragged for looking bad, so it also goes both ways. Consoles are always going to be about compromises and trade-offs.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
I think 30FPS is acceptable enough for most gamers that developers would rather go for the prettiest game possible and run it at 30, rather than making their game a bit uglier to run at 60FPS.
From a visuals perspective - basically all impressions are made based off screenshots (look better in 30FPS games) , and youtube videos - that aren't running at 60FPS anyway, so I can see why this wouldn't be a major focus for devs.

One bad screenshot can sink your ship, look at poor Craig.

Only gaming experts like us really know the pure joy of 60FPS fluidity.

The ideal situation would be what demons souls have done, give you the choice of either. More work for developers though, just something else to enjoy during the crunch.

Edit: I didnt see Zerots post before I posted so I wasn't copying his answer here

Crafty fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Nov 9, 2020

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Thom12255 posted:

Pending charge from Amazon (US) appeared on my bank statement. No email of shipping yet.

Same. I live all of a few miles away from a distribution center, so I guess this is a good sign that I'll actually be getting the X day-of. The communication about this hasn't been all that great, though.

Menidan
Nov 21, 2002

Dollas posted:

anyone that preorder through target get billed/shipped yet?

My estimated delivery got changed from Nov 11 - Nov 16 to just Nov 16. So it’s not looking good.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mine is out for delivery so I just gotta get through a day of being absolutely bodied at work.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
Modern Vintage Gamer has a teardown of the baby Xbox.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKj6vXPq72U

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

just seems like raytracing definitely isn't worth investing this much hardware in, its just a dev-time-saving replacement for baked lighting it seems.

i thought they were going all in on trying to get things running close to 4k 60fps but it doesnt seem like it. even the ps5 is still targetting 30fps 4k for the demon souls remake of all things

Literally, the only use of ray tracing that has impressed me and I'd really want to use is the Minecraft RTX beta, which really changes the atmosphere of the game for the better and inspires more creative builds. I don't really care if the puddles reflect my car lights in Watch Dogs.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Toaster Beef posted:

Same. I live all of a few miles away from a distribution center, so I guess this is a good sign that I'll actually be getting the X day-of. The communication about this hasn't been all that great, though.

Amazon now says it has shipped on the order page and UPS tracking is listed (doesn't work yet) and says 'Delivery appointment scheduled'. Interestingly, my extra controller hasn't done anything yet.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Thom12255 posted:

I don't really care if the puddles reflect my car lights in Watch Dogs.

It looks nice though

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Guess the Xbox One S / Xbox Series S confusion extends to Microsoft themselves...

What looks to be the Southbridge still has Xbox One branding

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

There's a similar looking component on the One S/X motherboard, maybe they reused the same part to save a buck?

If it's just handling miscellaneous low-speed I/O stuff they might not have needed anything new

repiv fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Nov 9, 2020

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

zenintrude posted:

Guess the Xbox One S / Xbox Series S confusion extends to Microsoft themselves...

What looks to be the Southbridge still has Xbox One branding

Could be the same part?

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Target finally lists mine as preparing to ship, but scheduled to arrive next Monday. Boo.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Is there a list anywhere of when stores are making launch day stock available? I saw Walmart is doing noon EST, trying to decide if I want to stay up for midnight or if I could wait and get more sleep.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ouhei posted:

Is there a list anywhere of when stores are making launch day stock available? I saw Walmart is doing noon EST, trying to decide if I want to stay up for midnight or if I could wait and get more sleep.

Amazon.com should have more tomorrow. Check very early in the morning though and keep checking, they will sell out extremely fast.

May 11, 2007

Contains Carbon Monoxide
Target pre-order for S series with delivery date Friday, womp womp

Being shipped from TX

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

703 posted:

Target pre-order for S series with delivery date Friday, womp womp

Being shipped from TX

These console launches feel really rushed all around. I still hope that the first goon to get one posts a picture of it not fitting in their TV stand.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

The gpu in them isn't really a (native) 4k kinda thing. It could also be devs who don't think 30 vs 60 will hurt sales and thus don't push for 60.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

My Xbox is in a Fed Ex facility like 2 miles from my house and I kinda want to walk down there and tell them to give me the loving thing or else.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Mine says it's arriving tomorrow (Grapevine, TX-> SF, CA) but Fedex hasn't actually received the box yet, so I have my doubts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

My Costco order still says pending.

I think I done hosed up going with them lol