Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Neat little tidbit for us nerds. If you were wondering how long it takes to get from tape out to production, someone shaved a Zen 3 die and microscoped it and embedded in the Zen3 die is a copyright of 2019. So a year or more for this part, apparently.

https://twitter.com/FritzchensFritz/status/1325500804434972675

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

movax posted:

Has anyone had a Zen 2 (3900X specifically in this case) CPU "die"? Rebuilding a workstation from work where the machine suddenly "died" and the mobo would get stuck on the yellow DRAM light — OK, RAM goes bad sometimes, no problem... replace it.

Well, I also decided to take it for myself and move it to a mini-ITX setup and ended up in the follow scenario:

* BNIB B550-I + BNIB G.Skill RAM + 3900 X = no boot / yellow DRAM light
* BNIB G. Skill RAM + the previous X570 Prime mobo = no boot / yellow DRAM light
* known good (i.e., pulled from a running TR system) RAM, single stick on both mobos + 3900X = no boot / yellow DRAM light

AFAIK, this was never overclocked. I feel like the chances of the B550-I being DOA out of the box is low, but the only thing I feel like could explain this if the CPU was not broken is both motherboards being bad. Skeptical of that.

No bent pins I can see, also don't have another AM4 CPU to test with and of course I try to do this just a few days after Zen 3 launched. RMA to AMD?

Yeah I had a 3700x die almost right out of the box. If you peep my previous posts in this thread you'll see the details.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

It's highly unlikely for most components to fail without cause if they don't do so immediately, but I don't think it's strictly impossible. You could have just been the statistical aberration.

RMA regardless, don't admit to turning on XMP.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is there a working discord for catching 5900x restocks? The nvidia one is terrible at catching zen3.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

hobbesmaster posted:

Ryzen 5 TDP listings have been a bigger lie than most

N..no they're not? They list a typical power and a max power and a fully loaded chip never exceeds the max. The only way to hit that is in encoding or 3d rendering stuff. All the measured power benches for the chips have shown them to be within like, 2w of what the rating says they should be.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Fauxtool posted:

is there a working discord for catching 5900x restocks? The nvidia one is terrible at catching zen3.

They're also just terrible in general, if we're in the same one. I haven't seen any restocks logged on the more popular websites since release day though.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Been having fun with the 3600 machine this weekend. It's so nice and fast and I will be similarly excited when my 5900x backorder gets fulfilled.

If you care for a goofy vid, here's my doing the christening on it tonight on twitch:

https://clips.twitch.tv/PluckyArborealKumquatFunRun

I did manage to use up almost all my 128GB when I started running filters on a 210,000 x 150,000 Photoshop image

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Marxalot posted:

They're also just terrible in general, if we're in the same one. I haven't seen any restocks logged on the more popular websites since release day though.

the tumadre/atr stonks one. It worked great for getting my multiple 3080s, but its worthless for a 5900x

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Fauxtool posted:

the tumadre/atr stonks one. It worked great for getting my multiple 3080s, but its worthless for a 5900x

Ah, yeah same. That got me a 3080 within like 4 days of being there. Yet the only zen3 restock I've seen since release was a single 5800x posting at best buy :v:

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Nov 9, 2020

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Try this one, it’s been pretty useful for me: https://discord.gg/stockdrops

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Nice. Now to see if literally any retailers start posting CPUs soonish

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Someone earlier was talking about the CPU refusing to reduce clock speeds when idle. I think it might just have been reporting. I was seeing the same in task manager (and cpu-z), but AMD's own tool reports that it works fine:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Qwertycoatl posted:

Someone earlier was talking about the CPU refusing to reduce clock speeds when idle. I think it might just have been reporting. I was seeing the same in task manager (and cpu-z), but AMD's own tool reports that it works fine:

Zen 2 has a problem with a lot of monitoring software (or monitoring software has a problem with Zen 2...) where it triggers CPU boosting when the CPU isn't actually supposed to be doing anything.

Ryzen Master is supposed to be more accurate because it doesn't do that. And apparently Zen 3 is better about this in general.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

movax posted:

The guy that built this wasn't the sharpest at paying attention. I shared that I typically nudge DDR voltage up for stability with multiple sticks (~1.375 V or so, so nothing egregious whatsoever) so for all I know, maybe he loving ramped it up at some point and murdered the IMC on the CPU.

I've had mine at 1.5V for a year :lol:, probably should back that off now that I have a Zen 3 CPU to abuse.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MaxxBot posted:

I've had mine at 1.5V for a year :lol:, probably should back that off now that I have a Zen 3 CPU to abuse.

That’s kind of impressive for DDR4. B-die?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

hobbesmaster posted:

That’s kind of impressive for DDR4. B-die?

Yeah the XMP was already like 1.4V IIRC.

EDIT: 1.45V actually, so not much of a bump

https://www.newegg.com/patriot-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820225144?Item=N82E16820225144

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Nov 9, 2020

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Marxalot posted:

Ah, yeah same. That got me a 3080 within like 4 days of being there. Yet the only zen3 restock I've seen since release was a single 5800x posting at best buy :v:

i found out that the nvidia-snatcher added zen3 and ps5s recently. its all good now. Xbox being added today as well
im super done with losing sleep over discord false alerts.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Microcenter in Denver is sold out of everything Zen 3, and is down to two 3950Xs.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Guess I'll be waiting a while for my 5900X :')

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I guess I'll put off (re)building this machine until December then... loving hell. Guess I'll RMA the 3900X for starters right now and see which shows up first.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

ijyt posted:

Guess I'll be waiting a while for my 5900X :')

I'm kind of surprised non 5600x pre-orders are so high relative to the 5600x. I would have thought that would be the sweet-spot for most consumers, at least for gamers.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Xaris posted:

I'm kind of surprised non 5600x pre-orders are so high relative to the 5600x. I would have thought that would be the sweet-spot for most consumers, at least for gamers.

I'm gonna guess it's more of that there was less of them, there could have be a ton of 5600X's sold.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Anyone upgrading from a 2600 or 3600 might want more cores while they're at it, while anyone upgrading from a 2700X or 3700X might not want to lose two cores in the upgrade. The 5600X may make sense for a new system but may not be the choice of someone upgrading.

But there are probably also way more 5600s than the higher models.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Marxalot posted:

Nice. Now to see if literally any retailers start posting CPUs soonish

I literally just woke up and I think I just speedran trying to get a ryzen :laffo:

copped a 5900x

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Nov 9, 2020

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
did you just keep adding to cart over and over or what?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I am getting so tired of the amazon 'add to cart - your cart is empty' dance.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
No, just added once on amazon. Though I did notice some discords were pinging way earlier than others. Notably this one started dinging way before the ATR-Grift one (which only pinged for the 5600x)

https://discord.gg/yUAk993

The stockdrops one posted nothing about the amazon drop

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Marxalot posted:

No, just added once on amazon. Though I did notice some discords were pinging way earlier than others. Notably this one started dinging way before the ATR-Grift one (which only pinged for the 5600x)

https://discord.gg/yUAk993

The stockdrops one posted nothing about the amazon drop

Thanks... this will be the third discord I am on for this (and ampere). I can't loving WAIT to be done with this.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Got in quickly enough to get a 5600X first try. Hope it ships on Thanksgiving like they say it will. :toot:

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I have a 3600 with an aftermarket noctua cooler, and a tomahawk max. Is there some non-video guide to getting the best performance? I don't want to push it to the absolute limit but I figure I should try and get an extra 10% if possible. I just ordered a 3080 and I figure I should do that. I also have set my ram to stock I think, not sure if I need to overclock that.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Marxalot posted:

I think I just speedran trying to get a ryzen :laffo:

copped a 5900x

Do you have a good wiki game strategy guide link for how to find this rare category drops?

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

etalian posted:

Do you have a good wiki game strategy guide link for how to find this rare category drops?

I haven't started the wiki, but I think working nights and having my boss wake me up with a giant group text at 3pm was key. Also like 3 dumb discords with literally every channel but the relevant bot ones muted.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Marxalot posted:

Also like 3 dumb discords with literally every channel but the relevant bot ones muted.
This is the pro tip

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

redreader posted:

I have a 3600 with an aftermarket noctua cooler, and a tomahawk max. Is there some non-video guide to getting the best performance? I don't want to push it to the absolute limit but I figure I should try and get an extra 10% if possible. I just ordered a 3080 and I figure I should do that. I also have set my ram to stock I think, not sure if I need to overclock that.

Overclocking is kind of a waste with AMD IMO. In gaming in particular it can actually reduce performance vs. letting the stock boosting system do its thing.

What RAM do you have? If you really want you can go down the rabbit hole of Ryzen memory overclocking and see what that does for your 3dmark Time Spy score or whatever, but if you bought cheap RAM to start with it probably won't do a ton. Sometimes people get lucky though!

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-memory-tweaking-overclocking-guide/

e: If you are running at 1440p ultra settings or 4K, the GPU is going to be the main bottleneck anyway. The CPU & RAM matter less the higher the resolution.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Nov 9, 2020

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
I am trying to decide if I want to patiently wait for the bh photo 5600x I pre-ordered or try to snag one before then and cancel my preorder. Currently using a 6600k and it's hurting

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

sean10mm posted:

e: If you are running at 1440p ultra settings or 4K, the GPU is going to be the main bottleneck anyway. The CPU & RAM matter less the higher the resolution.

Going to disagree with this as it relates to an RTX 3080: if you're chasing 1440P @ 120+ fps, with a 3080 you are absolutely going to be bottlenecked by single-threaded performance in most games with a ryzen 3600. i can think of very few games where my 3080 GPU utilization is the limiting factor, usually utilization varies from 50% to 80% but I've never had a game use it 100% at 1440p chasing 140 fps whereas the single-threaded performance tends to be maxed out at like say 90-120 fps. but nominally yes, there's little to be gained by OC-ing a Ryzen CPU these days, what comes out of the factory with PBO is about all the juice you're going to get. Just throw on PBO or Auto-Overclocking using Ryzen Master and forget about the CPU side of things. That said, RAM timings are actually important

For example, manually setting your ram / overclocking it can have a big performance difference on Zen2, comparing stock timings to manual.
https://www.techspot.com/review/1891-ryzen-memory-performance-scaling/

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

sean10mm posted:

Overclocking is kind of a waste with AMD IMO. In gaming in particular it can actually reduce performance vs. letting the stock boosting system do its thing.

What RAM do you have? If you really want you can go down the rabbit hole of Ryzen memory overclocking and see what that does for your 3dmark Time Spy score or whatever, but if you bought cheap RAM to start with it probably won't do a ton. Sometimes people get lucky though!

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-memory-tweaking-overclocking-guide/

Thanks for the reply

https://www.crucial.com/memory/ddr4/bl2k8g32c16u4w

I have that ram. I think I put the timings in manually but I can't remember if I tried overclocking it or not. Since it's 3200 should I just set the clock to 3200?

Yeah I'm running at 1440p but I want to make sure I'm not leaving any performance on the table. I was reading an article about how CPU still matters and can make a 10-15% difference at that resolution anyway, which is not nothing.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)
Man it's tempting to pick something up. This chip is to DDR4 what sandy bridge-to-haswell was to DDR3. Part of the longevity of that system is explained by how easy it's been to find DDR3 ram. When memory fabs, intel, AMD all switch over to DDR5, Zen2 and 3 will forever be the quickest chips to pair with all the world's DDR4. Maybe in five years I'll grab one of your old systems... this ivy bridge is just as fast as it was on the day I got it

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I've noticed my benchmarks come out lower if I am running Ryzen Master. Consistently and noticeably. Is that likely just the extra overhead of having another application running?

I have boost set to automatic in the BIOS, so it seems like Ryzen Master is a tad redundant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I bought 32gb of 3200 MHz Crucial RAM, is this good or bad for a 5900? I know there was a lot of memory talk but I didn't really keep up with it. I could still return this and pick up something else if there is much room for improvement.