Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Impressive how hard they managed to kill the hype for Tekken since Leroy got announced until now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Haven’t people been saying for ages that games should be balanced with buffs, not nerfs? Is the problem that the buffs were too samey and that the strong chars also got buffed?

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Are there any actual patch notes yet? This move of giving them to certain europeans a day early is very strange.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Dracula Factory posted:

Are there any actual patch notes yet? This move of giving them to certain europeans a day early is very strange.
The 50 page pdf with balance changes got put up a couple hours ago

(most of those 50 pages is empty)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

giogadi posted:

Haven’t people been saying for ages that games should be balanced with buffs, not nerfs? Is the problem that the buffs were too samey and that the strong chars also got buffed?
'games should be balanced with buffs' is not the same as 'characters should be buffed whenever possible'

and even with that mindset in mind its not like anyone is saying you should literally never nerf. just that when something is good a lot of devs' immediate instinct is to nerf, when if a character feels fun, fluid, and strong, why not make every character that good.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

mango sentinel posted:

Announce Kiryu, you cowards!
From a Red Bull France interview with Nagoshi the other day:

quote:

There have been a lot of requests in recent years to add Kazuma Kiryu in a fighting game, be it Tekken, or others... What do you think? Would you like to make a fighting game based on the Yakuza series?

We get a lot of requests for that. Of course, there are exceptions, but fighting games usually have female characters, and I personally don't really want to see Kiryu hit women.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

time for them to put an idolmaster character in

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Put in Haruka instead. She’s the daughter of the Dragon of Dojima, I bet she’s learned most of Kiryu’s moves by now

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Obviously the solution is when one player selects Kiryu, the other player is forced to pick a guy. It’s a real power move to just grey out all the opponents girls

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Gutcruncher posted:

Obviously the solution is when one player selects Kiryu, the other player is forced to pick a guy. It’s a real power move to just grey out all the opponents girls

Put in Goro Majima. It even fits with all the crossover characters being villains (and Noctis) so far.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Fair

Endorph posted:

time for them to put an idolmaster character in

The wrong Iori

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Lord_Magmar posted:

Put in Goro Majima. It even fits with all the crossover characters being villains (and Noctis) so far.

He's looking really hard for Kiryu in Tekken, which he is not. This is why Majima is here.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Majima Everywhere indeed

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

giogadi posted:

I think the problem is that the dlc power creep is insane and extremely obvious.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

e:f,b

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

giogadi posted:

Characters are being buffed into homogeneity in a lot of ways. Bob is probably now T6 levels of bullshit and I dread seeing them online now.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
The only thing people hate more than their main getting nerfed is their least favorite matchup character getting buffed.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/sacaitlin/status/1325842914644283397

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Clearly Kiryu would never hit a woman, but small girls are fair game.

Kiryu in Arcana Heart 4 confirmed.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
All of his attack animations are open-palm when he's fighting a female char, then it's totally fine.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

AFashionableHat posted:

Characters are being buffed into homogeneity in a lot of ways. Bob is probably now T6 levels of bullshit and I dread seeing them online now.

tekken 7 has always done this compared to earlier games, if you dislike the way t7 has gone since the very first version you could always try and start a tag 2/5DR revival now that esports is dead & people aren't feeling compelled to only play Newest Game

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Put Miss Tatsu in Tekken is the obvious solution here.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

darealkooky posted:

tekken 7 has always done this compared to earlier games, if you dislike the way t7 has gone since the very first version you could always try and start a tag 2/5DR revival now that esports is dead & people aren't feeling compelled to only play Newest Game

if there was a reliable way to play them (trying to run online tournaments off of PS3s are not that) I would have already done so.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

American McGay posted:

Think of Aris what you will, and there are obviously valid issues, but I don't think there's any jealousy there. There's a certain joy of experiencing a new release at the exact same time as the rest of the community and digging into all the changes, and the staggered rollout thing kind of tarnishes that.

The biggest problem to me is that sending games out early for review purposes has been a thing in games media since the dawn of time. I know Aris is not in "games media" but he seems to want to have the benefits of being part of the press/PR cycle without any of the downsides which just comes off as kind of whiney. It also doesn't help that I've just grown more and more tired of Aris's schtick over the years. The "I'm an rear end in a top hat but funny" bit only continues to work when you stay funny.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

FanaticalMilk posted:

The biggest problem to me is that sending games out early for review purposes has been a thing in games media since the dawn of time. I know Aris is not in "games media" but he seems to want to have the benefits of being part of the press/PR cycle without any of the downsides which just comes off as kind of whiney. It also doesn't help that I've just grown more and more tired of Aris's schtick over the years. The "I'm an rear end in a top hat but funny" bit only continues to work when you stay funny.

It's simpler than that, IMO.

People who are not West Coast FGC people got something.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

AFashionableHat posted:

With the exception of, yes, Bob, I think basically every character that got buffed, did so totheir unique strengths. Hell it's exactly what Harada said they were doing just the other month, in an inerview when he talked about homenity in characters being balanced but boring and unfun.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
they buffed bob as a social experiment to see if people will suddenly start playing him again or if they can safely chuck him into season 2/3 dlc character hell in tekken 8 instead of main roster spot

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

darealkooky posted:

they buffed bob as a social experiment to see if people will suddenly start playing him again or if they can safely chuck him into season 2/3 dlc character hell in tekken 8 instead of main roster spot

This kind of cynical thinking filled me with a great dread and then a deadness.

this is what they really think about when they think about character inclusions in fighting games these days, aren't they?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Victory Position posted:

This kind of cynical thinking filled me with a great dread and then a deadness.

this is what they really think about when they think about character inclusions in fighting games these days, aren't they?

Maybe Tekken but definitely not all fighting games

Hell two of DBFZ's worst characters were DLC, and even after a bunch of buffs one of them is still pretty bad.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

Maybe Tekken but definitely not all fighting games

Hell two of DBFZ's worst characters were DLC, and even after a bunch of buffs one of them is still pretty bad.

To be fair, Videl was an experiment to see if a character could function without one of the integral system parts of DBZF, one that was basically the cornerstone of the game's defensive play, and the answer seems to be 'nobody cares how many ways you have to touch of death somebody or how brutal your offense can be when you just die the first time someone makes you block because everyone can make you block.'

Who's the other? I know Fused Zamasu is still considered hot garbage so it can't be him.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

im assuming they meant jiren

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

It's kind of sad how DBZ doesn't really lend itself to a fighting game that much, now that my enjoyment of DBFZ has winded down. Almost all the characters fight in the same way, one guy wins all the fights and that leaves no room for side characters to shine, so of course there are 5 goku clones and characters that aren't goku still fight like goku. And it seems like they have already run out of characters (Unless they do a cool Bulma in a mech deal) so they're going to have to invent more original ones to sell DLC and a sequel.

I'm really surprised that naruto and/or one piece haven't gotten big-effort 2d competitive fighters, I know OP has an endless well of characters that would fit great in an FG and I'm pretty sure naruto has lots of goofy different fighters that would fit well into a game. Maybe it just takes a few more years of nostalgia.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Bleach had some wii fighters, didn't it? I wouldn't mind seeing a 2d game if it manages to get a revival with the coming final season. Probably would have fewer Ichigos than dbfz does Gokus. One Piece I think fits best with the dynasty warriors style, as Pirate Warriors having now 4 games shows.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the reality is there's no reason to make a big complex fighting game when stuff like ninja storm sells just as well. not that ninja storm was a bad game honestly but its not like individual characters are insanely distinct and complex. that's the market dbfz was competing with, not traditional fighting games.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Bleach had 7 fighting games for PSP alone.

Also Budokai Tenkaichi 2/3 were a lot of fun and had some good What If campaigns (like what if Raditz also hit his head and was a good person). Budokai 3 was fun as well but the mid-battle gimmicks get old pretty quick. I think Shin Budokai cut most of that crap out, at least.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i like the what if story in tenkaichi 3 where spike the devilman, a guy from the original dragon ball whose power was being able to explode the evil in people, instantly oneshot every single antagonist

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Endorph posted:

i like the what if story in tenkaichi 3 where spike the devilman, a guy from the original dragon ball whose power was being able to explode the evil in people, instantly oneshot every single antagonist

gently caress yes

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i would openly weep if arcsys announced a one piece traditional fighting game

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

They already did, kinda sorta:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qixc-2e5w2A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Countblanc posted:

i would openly weep if arcsys announced a one piece traditional fighting game

Only issue I could see with this is that Luffy is kinda short for a normal person and there are plenty of characters that are liked 5x his height at least, so they would have to normalize models a bit. I think a tag game might also fit with a potentially large roster and a strong camaraderie theme from the show.