Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Sirotan posted:

Filled 14 leaf bags yesterday, 8 last weekend, and I've still got two trees with leaves so I'll probably be at it again later this week. A hard barrier really isn't required for blowing leaves around, just make several manageable piles and then pick them up from there. Get an electric blower and a 100' extension cord and make your life easier.

Besides lawn care this weekend I also made progress on fixing up my front door. This door is (as best I can tell) original to my house so ~80 years old. I counted 6 different layers of paint. The mortise lock was also filled at some point in the past. I still need to replace some of the glass bead trim and one of the lights before I can paint it. I would have loved to find a place that could have stripped off all the paint in a dip tank, but instead I spent 6 hours and got it to this state:

(fancy hinges now installed)

Where's you get those hinges? They match my houses originals perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

SpartanIvy posted:

Where's you get those hinges? They match my houses originals perfectly.

https://www.houseofantiquehardware.com/door-hinges-satin-nickel-butt-ball-tip-steel-4

It is the only one I could ever find with the correct zig-zag screw pattern. The original hinges were identical, except brass. Screw holes were just a tad bit off but I made it work, though I did strip one screw and now gotta figure out where I can find a replacement.

Edit: Neat, I just called House of Antique Hardware and they're gonna just send me some new screws for free.

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Nov 9, 2020

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

PCjr sidecar posted:

loving maples.

I feel your pain, I have sycamores the other side of my property line, we cross our fingers every year that the wind blows South for the 2 weeks it takes for the leaves to drop, no such luck this year.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

OSU_Matthew posted:

Same... I just mulch right back into the lawn with my battery powered mower and it’s excellent. Plus it’s real good for the lawn from what I understand.

I also collected the first batch or two of leaves for my compost bin... it was getting too nitrogen heavy and needed the carbon to balance out.

I leave a healthy amount of leaves to mulch back in, I'm actually about to mow it in a little bit, but this was too much to leaf (:haw:), it would have resulted in dead grass.

But like someone else said upthread, I now have several bags of brown/carbon to add my my compost to balance out all the greens from the kitchen scraps and such. I was using shredded newspaper during the end of summer/early fall because I ran out of the previous seasons chopped leaves. I prefer to use more "natural" things, even though in theory newspaper is ok? But also my paper shredder is tiny so it takes a WHILE to shred enough paper.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Nov 9, 2020

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Is this the advice thread? I don't know where else to post this but I wanna know how hosed I am and what I should do.

I bought and moved into a condo in February and for the last month or so we've had a hopefully small roach problem. We called an exterminator who sprayed something along all the baseboards but still saw one every 4 or 5 days after. About half were dead, half were alive saw about 10 total after he came the first time. Since we kept seeing them we called him back to spray again this past week. In the 6 days since he came we've found 2 dead and 2 alive roaches. Kind of concerning, but maybe just bad/worse luck than last time.

We share walls with two other condos, and I highly suspect the roaches are coming from a specific one of our neighbors. When I found the first one I called the Condo board and they pretty much said, "that's gross sorry about that, good luck."

So I'm not sure if the exterminator we found is effective, I don't know if it matters since the neighbor might be the root and until they fix it nothing will change, and I don't know if I should press the HOA for more assistance.

If it matters I'm on LI in NY and we think they're brown banded cockroaches.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

What's a good way to figure out how much weight I can hang from the rafters in my garage?

I've got a kayak hanging there now and want to hang a large ladder. Both weigh about 50lbs each.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Epi Lepi posted:

Is this the advice thread? I don't know where else to post this but I wanna know how hosed I am and what I should do.

I bought and moved into a condo in February and for the last month or so we've had a hopefully small roach problem. We called an exterminator who sprayed something along all the baseboards but still saw one every 4 or 5 days after. About half were dead, half were alive saw about 10 total after he came the first time. Since we kept seeing them we called him back to spray again this past week. In the 6 days since he came we've found 2 dead and 2 alive roaches. Kind of concerning, but maybe just bad/worse luck than last time.

We share walls with two other condos, and I highly suspect the roaches are coming from a specific one of our neighbors. When I found the first one I called the Condo board and they pretty much said, "that's gross sorry about that, good luck."

So I'm not sure if the exterminator we found is effective, I don't know if it matters since the neighbor might be the root and until they fix it nothing will change, and I don't know if I should press the HOA for more assistance.

I would say if you've got a hoarder neighbor that's infested you're pretty boned. You can poison and bait but if you can't cut the roaches off from food and optimal living conditions you'll never stop them.

I guess your best bet in that situation (short of moving) would be to try and seal that wall up as best as you can to keep them from coming through, but that's a formidable task.

I wish you the best with it. I lived in an apartment once where our neighbors were destitute and had packed 8 people into a 2 bedroom and not only had a roache infestation but bedbugs. Both of which came through the walls for my roommate and I.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

porkface posted:

What's a good way to figure out how much weight I can hang from the rafters in my garage?

I've got a kayak hanging there now and want to hang a large ladder. Both weigh about 50lbs each.

Hang heavier and heavier things from it until it collapses, then rebuild it and weigh the last thing you hung from it.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Clayton Bigsby posted:

You should hear some of the houses here in Sweden. Most houses use a water based heating system where warm-ish (with bigger pipes and radiators maybe up to 45C in the winter, with thinner shittier ones up to 70C) water is used. Traditionally the water was heated with a wood, coal or oil burner. In the past 20-30 years it's become far more common to use air/water heat pumps or geothermal heat pumps. Of course most people opt to have a tank heated by the heat pump instead of a water heater (since it's far more efficient).

So you have a radiator system being fed with say 30-35C water during late fall / early winter, and a hot water tank you want to keep at 60-70C. The switch between heating the two is via a electronically controlled three way valve. The problem is that if you are heating the hot water tank and the system switches over to the radiator circuit, for a short period of time you're dumping 60-70C water into the radiator system. As that extra hot water wanders around it causes a lot of expansion and contraction, and the whole house will tap and knock like crazy until it settles down again. Annoying as gently caress.

The solution is to install a tank at the start of the radiator circuit that will buffer this hot water and let the temp even out a bit before it goes into the system. But few installers bother with this since it technically works and they're not the ones having to live with it.

Huh, I'm about to move into a Swedish house with an air pump and water-based heating, so this is good to know!

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
Probably not the right thread but I've got a crew coming in to install a water conditioner this Wednesday. I've got almost $2k on my FSA Visa that I have to use this year and was curious if anyone had tried to claim this as a medically necessary expense - my wife has notoriously fickle psoriasis so it's not trying anything dishonest. Just curious if anyone had been down that road or anything similar.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

mischief posted:

Probably not the right thread but I've got a crew coming in to install a water conditioner this Wednesday. I've got almost $2k on my FSA Visa that I have to use this year and was curious if anyone had tried to claim this as a medically necessary expense - my wife has notoriously fickle psoriasis so it's not trying anything dishonest. Just curious if anyone had been down that road or anything similar.

You would need a doctor to write a letter of medical recommendation for it. Good luck!

Also the rules are pretty relaxed this year so double check your receipts for things like otc medicine and feminine hygiene products. Also stock up. Ask your doctor for an otc prescription for fsa - mine gave me a 8x11 printed page with like 20 or 30 things on it "as needed." (advil, Tylenol, Sudafed, etc.)

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Epi Lepi posted:

There is a pest control thread here which may help:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3944991

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
The heating element on our old rear end in-wall oven busted. It basically flared up/caught on fire at one of the corner bends.

It's a GE. Model number:
J KS06 003AD

I've found this: https://www.appliancepartspros.com/search.aspx?model=jks06%20003ad

But not sure about the site. Any other reliable sites you guys use for old spare parts?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

BonoMan posted:

The heating element on our old rear end in-wall oven busted. It basically flared up/caught on fire at one of the corner bends.

It's a GE. Model number:
J KS06 003AD

I've found this: https://www.appliancepartspros.com/search.aspx?model=jks06%20003ad

But not sure about the site. Any other reliable sites you guys use for old spare parts?

Repair Clinic for sure, but I might be biased as their warehouse is a short drive from me. They have a ton of great walkthrough videos for doing repairs to just about everything. Here's everything for the model number you listed:

https://www.repairclinic.com/ProductDetail/56199

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Darkrenown posted:

Huh, I'm about to move into a Swedish house with an air pump and water-based heating, so this is good to know!

Hit me up if you have any questions, we've renovated a couple places from the ground up now so have seen some poo poo.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Sirotan posted:

Repair Clinic for sure, but I might be biased as their warehouse is a short drive from me. They have a ton of great walkthrough videos for doing repairs to just about everything. Here's everything for the model number you listed:

https://www.repairclinic.com/ProductDetail/56199

awesome, ordered - thanks! (and it's going to be here day after tomorrow - dang that's fast)

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

H110Hawk posted:

Yup. And :laffo: at the idea of a little bit of mesh on a fence is going to keep the squirrels out.

Took a picture of my sunflowers to show friends, mesh is pictured there:

:laffo: My neighbor just took down all the wire mesh because surprise surprise, the squirrels gave 0 fucks. He put so much of it up, including around his patio cover, etc. It's all gone. Those super fat squirrels who ate all of our sunflower seeds now can run along the fence with glee.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Hit me up if you have any questions, we've renovated a couple places from the ground up now so have seen some poo poo.

Thanks! I don't have any specific questions yet, but I do have a vague goal of installing District heating and Solar panels at some point, so if you, or anyone else, has tips in that area they'd be welcome. The air pump is 17 years old, it seemed fine in the inspection but it's getting towards the end of its lifespan as far as I know. The roof is the same age but should be good for 15+ years for the solar panels.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Darkrenown posted:

Thanks! I don't have any specific questions yet, but I do have a vague goal of installing District heating and Solar panels at some point, so if you, or anyone else, has tips in that area they'd be welcome. The air pump is 17 years old, it seemed fine in the inspection but it's getting towards the end of its lifespan as far as I know. The roof is the same age but should be good for 15+ years for the solar panels.

If by district heating you mean fjärrvärme, ehhhhh... I'd pass. Would much rather have full control over my system. If you have an air/water heat pump (I assume you do if you have water based heating) consider replacing it or going with geothermal/bergvärme if possible. At least that's what I would do. Fjärrvärme is convenient but in my experience it rarely makes more financial sense. At least in this part of the country, perhaps you get a better deal where you are.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
I do mean fjärrvärme, yes. I'm not against geothermal, but it costs a lot more to set up. The current setup is an airpump and an electric boiler for waterborne heat and hot water, plus electric underfloor heating in a couple of places. I'm not against just getting a new pump either, I just thought fjärrvärme would make sense with water based heating. I'll need to look into it more carefully, but it seems like Geothermal would be around 150k, fjärrvärme 60k, new air pump 20-30k.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Darkrenown posted:

I do mean fjärrvärme, yes. I'm not against geothermal, but it costs a lot more to set up. The current setup is an airpump and an electric boiler for waterborne heat and hot water, plus electric underfloor heating in a couple of places. I'm not against just getting a new pump either, I just thought fjärrvärme would make sense with water based heating. I'll need to look into it more carefully, but it seems like Geothermal would be around 150k, fjärrvärme 60k, new air pump 20-30k.

Holy poo poo, you guys are talking about actual drill down to the hot stuff geothermal, not just a heatpump?

Is that something that’s only viable in certain areas?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
They are probably talking about "bergvärme" which is hard to translate to english, but from a swedish language perspective it tends to get translated into geothermal. But not really geothermal, more like a borehole 130-200m deep with a loop of brine in it, that is hooked to a special heat pump.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

His Divine Shadow posted:

They are probably talking about "bergvärme" which is hard to translate to english, but from a swedish language perspective it tends to get translated into geothermal. But not really geothermal, more like a borehole 130-200m deep with a loop of brine in it, that is hooked to a special heat pump.

That's a downhole or borehole heat exchanger and they exist in the US as well.

They're uncommon because it's rare for them to be economically viable (cost of the electricity for circulating the water). Although that's a thing with the type of geothermal most people are thinking about too.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

yeah, that *can* be called "Geothermal" in English, although clearer term I've seen used for that is "Ground Loop Heat Pump".

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hubis posted:

yeah, that *can* be called "Geothermal" in English, although clearer term I've seen used for that is "Ground Loop Heat Pump".

Ground loop geothermal is not the same as borehole. Ground loop is only a few feet deep, spread out over a fairly large area.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
It's quite popular in the nordic countries at any rate. Considered to be very economical to run over here, cost of installation is the big deal. Our house is heated by one at any rate.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

It's quite popular in the nordic countries at any rate. Considered to be very economical to run over here, cost of installation is the big deal. Our house is heated by one at any rate.

Yeah, you have the temperature differential (average temps vs. ground temp) to make it really worth it. That's simply not the case in most of the US.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Motronic posted:

Ground loop geothermal is not the same as borehole. Ground loop is only a few feet deep, spread out over a fairly large area.

Oh, interesting. I guess I'd always conflated the two in my head as being sort of the same thing.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Groundloop is done here too, but less commonly. I assume it works better in areas where the surface gets warmed by the sun more.

In theory I could get borehole heat and then run the pump for it off of solar panel energy, but the setup costs would be around $30k, so it'd take a while to pay back. Another plus, boreholes can also provide cooling in the summer.

Does the US have fjärrvärme/district heating as an option? To explain, certain power plants also make a lot of hot water, which is then sent through insulated pipes to people's homes to be used as hot water and for radiators rather than having your own boiler. It tends to also be hooked into various community heating/cooling systems too.

A potentially nice thing about having fjärrvärme in the area even if you don't use the system yourself is that when you have your own power generation from solar or whatever, the power company lets you "store" power (really they just use the power and keep a tally) in the water heating system during the warmer part of the year and then they'll return an equal amount of free power during the winter. You could just sell your excess power, of course, but power prices tend to be lowest in the summer and highest in winter, so it seems like storing it is the better deal.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Hubis posted:

Oh, interesting. I guess I'd always conflated the two in my head as being sort of the same thing.

They are right? Just different options for the same method depending on what climate and geology it’s being installed in.

Darkrenown posted:

Does the US have fjärrvärme/district heating as an option? To explain, certain power plants also make a lot of hot water, which is then sent through insulated pipes to people's homes to be used as hot water and for radiators rather than having your own boiler.

Definitely don’t have it in the UK - it seems like a wonderful thing, though I guess you have to be fairly near to a power station for it to be an option?

We don’t even have central hot water heating within blocks of flats here - every single 1 bed flat has its own electric or has boiler, which has always bugged me as being a massive waste of resources - not to mention space in all the flats.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Darkrenown posted:

Groundloop is done here too, but less commonly. I assume it works better in areas where the surface gets warmed by the sun more.

In theory I could get borehole heat and then run the pump for it off of solar panel energy, but the setup costs would be around $30k, so it'd take a while to pay back. Another plus, boreholes can also provide cooling in the summer.

Does the US have fjärrvärme/district heating as an option? To explain, certain power plants also make a lot of hot water, which is then sent through insulated pipes to people's homes to be used as hot water and for radiators rather than having your own boiler. It tends to also be hooked into various community heating/cooling systems too.

A potentially nice thing about having fjärrvärme in the area even if you don't use the system yourself is that when you have your own power generation from solar or whatever, the power company lets you "store" power (really they just use the power and keep a tally) in the water heating system during the warmer part of the year and then they'll return an equal amount of free power during the winter. You could just sell your excess power, of course, but power prices tend to be lowest in the summer and highest in winter, so it seems like storing it is the better deal.

For residential I don't think it's very common here to do smart waste heat exchanging, sounds like socialism. Some states have "Net Energy Metering" which is what you described for solar. Your bill is reduced kwh for kwh for generation you provide. That is going away over time in favor of a more sustainable wholesale purchase / retail sale or other things which make small scale solar generation take a lot longer to pay off.

As I recall a hospital in downtown los angeles started doing heat exchanging with datacenters as a way to pre-heat their water, and I think there is a law requiring some amount of waste heat scavenging from our booming datacenter industry. (It helps that in Los Angeles our DC's are nestled right up next to or literally inside of other high density buildings.)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Darkrenown posted:

Does the US have fjärrvärme/district heating as an option?

It used to be a thing in a few select places, might be a thing in some very odd little pockets somewhere but basically nowhere I'm aware of other than NYC. ConEd Steam is still being used for heat in some commercial buildings I think and also some crazy things you wouldn't have thought of like elevators and very old commercial dishwashers.

Nearly 50% of the energy going into that steam is waste heat from other things last I heard.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

When I lived in an apartment a decade ago it was heated by district heating, so the heating of water for all the apartments was centralized. The heat was the byproduct of some industry nearby.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Darkrenown posted:

So you have an air/air heatpump (luftvärmepump) in addition to an electric boiler? One compromise would be an air/water heat pump (luftvattenvärmepump) which should be a fair bit cheaper than bergvärme but still highly efficient. Had one at the old house and it took our annual electric consumption from 40,000 kWh to around 18,000. (We had an electric boiler before which is terrible.)

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

wooger posted:

Definitely don’t have it in the UK - it seems like a wonderful thing, though I guess you have to be fairly near to a power station for it to be an option?

Depends on your definition of near. We just got a new plant here in town and it covers the entire city. Probably a good 10km or more from where I live, and people here get their heat from it. We have huge pipes running underground throughout the city and even outside it.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

wooger posted:

We don’t even have central hot water heating within blocks of flats here - every single 1 bed flat has its own electric or has boiler, which has always bugged me as being a massive waste of resources - not to mention space in all the flats.

I assume there's some distance requirement, but it's not like the power station is close enough to see. In fact, I think what they actually do is pump the hot water to a large accumulator tank in the city and then the water is sent out from that.

And yeah, I'm from Scotland, so I've a lot of experience of UK flats. Included freezing my rear end off due to draughty 100 year old single pane windows, another nice thing about living in Sweden is double-glazing is almost universal and triple pane windows aren't uncommon.

Clayton Bigsby posted:

So you have an air/air heatpump (luftvärmepump) in addition to an electric boiler? One compromise would be an air/water heat pump (luftvattenvärmepump) which should be a fair bit cheaper than bergvärme but still highly efficient. Had one at the old house and it took our annual electric consumption from 40,000 kWh to around 18,000. (We had an electric boiler before which is terrible.)

Yes. I'll look at luftvattenvärmepumps too then!

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Nov 12, 2020

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Darkrenown posted:

I assume there's some distance requirement, but it's not like the power station is close enough to see. In fact, I think what they actually do is pump the hot water to a large accumulator tank in the city and then the water is sent out from that.

And yeah, I'm from Scotland, so I've a lot of experience of UK flats. Included freezing my rear end off due to draughty 100 year old single pane windows, another nice thing about living in Sweden is double-glazing is almost universal and triple pane windows aren't uncommon.

I get the sense that decent double and triple glazed windows are for some reason much cheaper in Scandinavian countries and Germany than in the UK. I see no reason for this.

The majority of UK houses have the worst poo poo white PVC double glazing here, I’ve never seen a place in Sweden or Finland that didn’t at least have aluminium framed double glazing.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

wooger posted:

I get the sense that decent double and triple glazed windows are for some reason much cheaper in Scandinavian countries and Germany than in the UK. I see no reason for this.

The majority of UK houses have the worst poo poo white PVC double glazing here, I’ve never seen a place in Sweden or Finland that didn’t at least have aluminium framed double glazing.

Aluminium is used a fair bit, but most older house have wood framed windows. If the house was built in the 20s/30s/40s the wood's likely heartwood and will last centuries if maintained reasonably well.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
HingeChat finally inspired me to tackle my pantry door that scrapes the floor and welp, Previous Owner strikes again

I guess when they went to rehang it they had lost the pins, so they just dropped some screws in and painted them to look like the ancient painted hinges :lol:

these are also what I need so thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

When I lived in an apartment a decade ago it was heated by district heating, so the heating of water for all the apartments was centralized. The heat was the byproduct of some industry nearby.

I had district heating in all my apartments in Stockholm. Fairly instant, abundant hot water at high pressure? Sign me the gently caress up. Here in LA, we've got a gas-fired tankless heater that manages to take 1) 5 minutes to get hot water to the shower 2) run out of hot water somehow???

One of the more ingenious "because we can" projects the Stockholm energy co did was when they realized how relatively close the main sewage treatment plant for the city (Henriksdal) was from one of their combined district heating / power plants (Hammarbyverket). They bored a ~2km tunnel from the sewage plant to the heat plant, and sent the (relatively) warm treated effluent to the district heating plant. There they use industrial size heat pumps to recover the heat generated by the treatment process and heat a few neighborhoods.