Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Real hurthling! posted:

idgi, the save should be on your hdd or in sony's cloud right? i know you know its not scratched into the disc
Read the tweet again, it's an update to the PS4 version to allow you to "export" it to the PS5 version. I ain't buying the PS4 version again to continue playing my save on the PS5.

Edit: beaten

Akuma fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Nov 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

anyway thats cool i 100%ed spidey but never got the dlc so now i can enjoy that and photo mode without doing any more drone chases. insomniac sicko mode

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Akuma posted:

At first this was great news because I was thinking I could continue my progress! Then I remembered I sold the PS4 version already so I can't export it...

use your free trial of psnow to download it and update it and then export it.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

[turns on the univbee signal]

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
Getting nervous about Amazon not having shipped yet, I live on an island and sometimes stuff takes an extra day or two from shipping estimates to get here.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Akuma posted:

Read the tweet again, it's an update to the PS4 version to allow you to "export" it to the PS5 version. I ain't buying the PS4 version again to continue playing my save on the PS4.

Edit: beaten

thats dumb. sonys dumb

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

No Man's Sky seems really cool, is the next gen version available at launch?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Real hurthling! posted:

thats dumb. sonys dumb
Goddamnit not as dumb as my dumb typo that you quoted

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

John Wick of Dogs posted:

No Man's Sky seems really cool, is the next gen version available at launch?

Yes it releases tomorrow I think? The update is for Series X, PS5, and PC. Its a massive update.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

GreatGreen posted:

Does it bother anybody else that PS5 games are apparently being standardized to include a "Worse Graphics 60fps 4k" mode and a "Better Graphics 30fps 4k" mode but no "Better Graphics 60fps 1080p" mode?

The vast majority of displays are still 1080p, after all.

Sorry, dynamic 4k is here now and you ain't going back.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
When does star citizen come out for PS5?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I hope returnal completely and totally owns the way nex machina and resogun completely and totally own and not the way matterfall, alienation, and their cancelled battle royal do not own very much except alienation kinda a little.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I said come in! posted:

Yes it releases tomorrow I think? The update is for Series X, PS5, and PC. Its a massive update.

Does it go on sale often? I'll probably be playing a few other games first

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I know it's kind of obvious already due to people getting the DualSense 5 but KontrolFreek mailed me already that all the stick covers/freeks will work from Dualshock4->DualSense 5 and of course Xbone->XSX/S.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

When does star citizen come out for PS6?

FTFY

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

GreatGreen posted:

Does it bother anybody else that PS5 games are apparently being standardized to include a "Worse Graphics 60fps 4k" mode and a "Better Graphics 30fps 4k" mode but no "Better Graphics 60fps 1080p" mode?

The vast majority of displays are still 1080p, after all.

It's not quite this easy - Miles Morales cuts out ray tracing altogether to hit 60fps. If its 60fps mode aimed for 1080p with RT enabled, the RT would likely end up looking pretty bad, because even the quality mode's RT reflections are at a lower resolution than the game's internal resolution in order to save performance. So a 1080p 60fps mode with RT enabled would have super low resolution reflections that would probably look worse than their screen-space reflections and cube maps. Also, the higher the resolution, the more rays are shot out, and the better results. I'm guessing if they were able to get RT running in a way that looked good at 60fps, we'd likely be seeing that as an option.

Real hurthling! posted:

I hope returnal completely and totally owns the way nex machina and resogun completely and totally own and not the way matterfall, alienation, and their cancelled battle royal do not own very much except alienation kinda a little.

I missed Nex Machina when it released but went back to it a few months ago and got totally hooked. I beat the secret final boss and got all the achievements. Returnal is one of my most anticipated games nows.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Nov 10, 2020

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

il serpente cosmico posted:

It's not quite this easy - Miles Morales cuts out ray tracing altogether to hit 60fps. If its 60fps mode aimed for 1080p with RT enabled, the RT would likely end up looking pretty bad, because even the quality mode's RT reflections are at a lower resolution than the game's internal resolution in order to save performance. So a 1080p 60fps mode with RT enabled would have super lower resolution reflections that would probably look worse than their screen-space reflections and cube maps. Also, the higher the resolution, the more rays are shot out, and the better results. I'm guessing if they were able to get RT running in a way that looked good at 60fps, we'd likely be seeing that as an option.

The Digital Foundry video about that Spider-Man screenshot does a great job of explaining how much of a give and take ray tracing is.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

It’s entirely possible that they just weren’t able to get a stable 1080p/60fps with ray tracing turned on or without heavily downgrading the ray traced reflections to the point where it just didn’t actually look much better than the standard screen space reflections

Augus fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Nov 9, 2020

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Holy poo poo that digital foundry backwards compatibility video makes me feel a lot better about what I was assuming would mainly be my demon’s souls machine for a while, basically every ps4 game at a solid 60 is really dope. Also as they say in the video, the standard boost for each game would’ve been sold at the beginning of the generation as a ‘remaster’ is why I wasn’t expecting Control or any other game to have a free PS5 version to be free (but now we know that 505 is definitely just a lovely publisher and chose to blame it on Sony rather than it actually being worth a paid upgrade or whatever), but also I’ve been pleasantly surprised by how many games I’ve already bought, or just looked at that include a free upgrade.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Real hurthling! posted:

why is godfall always online if the devs insist its not a games a service game?

i think they dont want you item duping like diablo 3 on ps3 to avoid making the game a wasteland of hacked characters and items but thats just my speculation

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Imhotep posted:

Holy poo poo that digital foundry backwards compatibility video makes me feel a lot better about what I was assuming would mainly be my demon’s souls machine for a while, basically every ps4 game at a solid 60 is really dope. Also as they say in the video, the standard boost for each game would’ve been sold at the beginning of the generation as a ‘remaster’ is why I wasn’t expecting Control or any other game to have a free PS5 version to be free (but now we know that 505 is definitely just a lovely publisher and chose to blame it on Sony rather than it actually being worth a paid upgrade or whatever), but also I’ve been pleasantly surprised by how many games I’ve already bought, or just looked at that include a free upgrade.

To be clear, you won't be getting nearly every ps4 game at 60fps. Games that are locked at 30 fps on ps4 will not run at 60 fps on ps5 without a patch. DF's video specifically used games with unlocked framerates to demonstrate the best uses of back compat.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

release the giant ps5, cowards

https://twitter.com/LeaderGrev/status/1325917042218823685

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Pizza warmer design confirmed

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I have pre-ordered Demon's Souls (Scythe version) and Miles Morales (normal version, I don't need to replay Spider-Man), but the web store won't let me pre-order Devil May Cry 5, it won't even show up for me.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
Wish I could get a PS5. I have a feeling I’m not getting one for a long time with the way they get vacuumed up when they are in stock.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.

Rexicon1 posted:

Wish I could get a PS5. I have a feeling I’m not getting one for a long time with the way they get vacuumed up when they are in stock.

Yeah I’m expecting to get one in March if I’m really lucky

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

il serpente cosmico posted:

It's not quite this easy - Miles Morales cuts out ray tracing altogether to hit 60fps. If its 60fps mode aimed for 1080p with RT enabled, the RT would likely end up looking pretty bad, because even the quality mode's RT reflections are at a lower resolution than the game's internal resolution in order to save performance. So a 1080p 60fps mode with RT enabled would have super lower resolution reflections that would probably look worse than their screen-space reflections and cube maps. Also, the higher the resolution, the more rays are shot out, and the better results. I'm guessing if they were able to get RT running in a way that looked good at 60fps, we'd likely be seeing that as an option.

I missed Nex Machina when it released but went back to it a few months ago and got totally hooked. I beat the secret final boss and got all the achievements. Returnal is one of my most anticipated games nows.

dmc5 does 1080p raytracing at 60fps

acksplode
May 17, 2004

DMC5's raytracing is the occasional puddle reflection or whatever, Spider-Man's raytracing is the reflections off most of the surfaces you see in the game.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.
Yeah ray tracing is going to be different on a game by game basis and developers are going to have to decide what concessions they want to make.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Has anyone’s Sony order shipped yet? Mine says “Preparing to ship”

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

thought raytracing was lighting not just reflections

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

Vikar Jerome posted:

It’s about how lighting interacts with objects in the environment.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Vikar Jerome posted:

Its where your lighting goes once it leaves the light source. In traditional lighting you need to put all the shadows and reflections and shade all the textures correctly. In rt the game uses optics/physics to figure out all that stuff

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Vikar Jerome posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FMlPUEAZfs

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.
This video does a great job of explaining how raytracing works with an example from Spider-Man.

https://youtu.be/crjbA-_SoFg

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Full raytracing isn't really feasible on current hardware, outside of edge cases like Minecraft, so this generation we'll be seeing a lot of "conventional rendering but with better reflections" or "conventional rendering but with better shadows"

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Yeah ray tracing can be used in targeted ways. A game's lighting doesn't have to be entirely ray traced, and this generation of consoles won't be powerful enough to do that anyhow. We're going to be seeing ray tracing applied like a spice, in small amounts and where it can have the most impact.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Eat My Fuc posted:

Has anyone’s Sony order shipped yet? Mine says “Preparing to ship”

I just got an email less than an hour ago that said my order had shipped and the order tracking page says it’ll be here by Thursday.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

acksplode posted:

Yeah ray tracing can be used in targeted ways. A game's lighting doesn't have to be entirely ray traced, and this generation of consoles won't be powerful enough to do that anyhow. We're going to be seeing ray tracing applied like a spice, in small amounts and where it can have the most impact.

Yeah this is why people got so mad at that image from Spider-Man because there were objects missing in the reflections. It’s not going to be a fully fledged thing for some time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Okay, I can't decide which ps5 game to get. My main plan is to use this as a none loud PS4 backlog machine till next black Friday, but I plan on buying one digital game. Spider man I'm waiting for a sale, but I can't decide Demon Souls, Cold War, or Cyberpunk in December. Help thread. I like shooters, (and love zombies,) but don't know if I should just wait to see if Cold War is actually good, and if the zombies are good. I have Bloodborne and I've never played it, and don't know if Demon Souls is worth starting with or if I should play the other games first (and get dark souls cheap on ps4) and then buy it later. Cyberpunk looks fun, and I feel like I might have the most FOMA if this thread is saying it's amazing and I don't have it.