Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

I’d be interested to know if there was any third party verifiable data on this “it’s crazy oil Arabs” theory, I always assumed most whales were middle class people making poor decisions with credit cards.

Easily possible. Look at Funko pops, people spending $$$ a month on those, probably others doing the same for Gatch Game X to the tune of several grand a year minimum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

CodfishCartographer posted:

Depends on the genre. Some lesser-known games that's in whale territory, but for bigger games that's nothing - big whales can drop 100k a month.

These whales tend to be absurdly rich and live in like Dubai, and so dropping several thousand on a game is nothing to them. Those who spend somewhat more reasonable amounts (like a few grand per year) are still very wealthy, and view the game as a hobby. Note that they don't view GAMING as a hobby, just the one specific game they like. So to them dropping a few hundred on Mobile Hero Legends or whatever is like dropping a few hundred on photography gear or some golf clubs or something.
Imagine doing that but also golf could just vanish at any moment. One day you get up, open your closet, and all your golf clubs are just gone. Your regional trophies are gone, your local golf course is an empty void in space, even your favourite golf hat has evaporated into smoke.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

The slimy fucks behind those free to pay mobile games know exactly what they're doing. Here's a video of one of them giving a lecture on how to most effectively reel in people and get them to spend stupid amounts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNjI03CGkb4

The bit around the 2-3 minute mark where he talks "hook, habit, hobby" is pretty telling.

THen he basically goes through all the slimy psychological tricks they use to try and incentivize buying.

THEN he talks about how the end goal is to make spending money on the game itself a good thing, as it becomes a status symbol among players to "support" the game etc.

There was a Jimquisition where Sterling used it as part of a larger dissection of how hosed up and predatory this stuff is, but somehow watching the actual video is even worse than Jim loving Sterling makes it out to be, and that guy's not exactly subtle.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

Cyrano4747 posted:

THEN he talks about how the end goal is to make spending money on the game itself a good thing, as it becomes a status symbol among players to "support" the game etc.

This is one of the weirder BWM trends from the last few years. Star Citizen was the best example of it. Where the game itself essentially became secondary. They were donating or buying internet tokens to maintain their status within the community. Same things happens on Twitch streams. Companies have gotten really, really good at A/B testing their way into peoples wallets so the BWM is exponentially worse than before the "very online era" since there are no real life obstacles to draining their accounts.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Just got a text from my dad

quote:

I am considering buying <friend's> house in <suburb of Houston> as a rent house. Are you interested in going half and half?

and I would like to thank the hundreds of pages of this thread for preparing me for this moment when I can comfortable say "no" without a second thought.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
There's a funny show about running a not-World of Warcraft game working for not-Ubisoft, Mythic Quest. One of the main characters is the guy in charge of monetization. They add some ridiculous sword to the game, and he flippantly suggests selling the in-game item for $50,000 USD in real money, thinking it will be a chase item and either nobody buys it or some rich dude buys it.

The item sells in less than a day, and it was bought by some regular dude with a credit card. The monetization guy is unfazed, but everyone else is kinda bothered by it

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Cael posted:

Just got a text from my dad

and I would like to thank the hundreds of pages of this thread for preparing me for this moment when I can comfortable say "no" without a second thought.

If this is in The Woodlands then lol because of the amount of houses that are about to be up for sale since Exxon is laying off a gently caress load

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Cyrano4747 posted:

The slimy fucks behind those free to pay mobile games know exactly what they're doing. Here's a video of one of them giving a lecture on how to most effectively reel in people and get them to spend stupid amounts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNjI03CGkb4

The bit around the 2-3 minute mark where he talks "hook, habit, hobby" is pretty telling.

THen he basically goes through all the slimy psychological tricks they use to try and incentivize buying.

There was a Jimquisition where Sterling used it as part of a larger dissection of how hosed up and predatory this stuff is, but somehow watching the actual video is even worse than Jim loving Sterling makes it out to be, and that guy's not exactly subtle.
Almost all retail stores do behavioral psychology shenanigans too.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Dik Hz posted:

Almost all retail stores do behavioral psychology shenanigans too.
Yep:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

quote:

Recommendations on how to Prepare Financially to Leave the U.S. at a Moments Notice.

The state of affairs currently as me feeling very unsure about the stability of things. For my own piece of mind I would like to take steps move a small amount from savings to create an additional Emergency (with a capitol E) fund, in case I were to feel the need to pick up and leave quickly.

I was thinking maybe an international checking account / saving account being held in a foreign currency. I know this sounds drastic, but planning, even insane planning, helps me cope.

quote:

$4000 for flood insurance!?!

We are in the final stages of purchasing a home and just got completely blindsided by multiple flood insurance quotes ranging from $3300-$5000 a year. All the research I've done said the average is $700-$1200 a year.

The house is apparently in an 'AE' fema designated zone.

Home is in Londonderry, NH

Anyone have any tips or ideas how we can get affordable insurance?

quote:

If your flood insurance is that expensive it’s because you NEED flood insurance. Your house will eventually flood.

I would very much buy a different house.

quote:

As my hydroscience professor tells every class of civil engineers: “friends don’t let friends buy houses in the 100 year flood zone.” We’re not friends, but I highly suggest you don’t buy that house. If you do, definitely get the insurance. If you’re in the 100 year flood zone, there is a 26% chance your house will flood before your 30 year mortgage is up. If you’re in even more of a flood zone this chance goes up.

quote:

quote:

Should this have been disclosed on the property disclosure? That its a high risk flood zone?

It’s always been part of any property disclosure I’ve seen.

quote:

It acknowledges that its in a flood zone, but not to what degree. I guess thats my fault, there's so many things to keep track of I missed one 🙃

quote:

Wth do they build houses in flood zones lol this sucks

quote:

The Happening - movie - remember the ending about the ocean.

It happened with some life in RL if I'm not mistaken in the ocean... that movie got me thinking that we really don't even know if plants have an unknown defense mechanism against climate change. I also remember there's a place like a garden museum somewhere that contains toxic plants that by approaching could make you drop to the floor unconscious. Any thoughts?

quote:

I tend to think the growing popularity of cannabis and psilocybin is some kind of worldwide fungal or plant network way of snapping humans out of whatever sleep they’ve been in. The substance is tempting enough to draw people in then it slaps them in the face. It takes two to tango.

quote:

Spend money on your plants before yourself. They will remember.

quote:

oxen and horses put back to work in cuba

quote:

I feel like Cuba has one of the best chances of any nation of coming out okay through collapse, unless Dorian 2.0 wipes them out I guess. The only ones I can think of that will do better are tiny isolated island nations like Tristan da Cunha.

quote:

quote:

French Polynesia has hundreds of volcanic islands with high plateaus, mild weather and no typhoon/hurricane. Volcanic soil is extremely fertile, there are ponds and water streams all over the place, but it's especially remote almost like Tristan Da Cunha that no one will go there after the collapse, I'm considering buying land there on a remote outer island.

Small islands are often effectively owned by some local family which basically dictate everything in there

quote:

I have done research, not the case. By small I mean islands that are already 50 to 500-ish km², not that small, yet uninhabited. Some of them used to be inhabited prior to European contact but the populations have moved to the bigger islands for work and opportunities in the 70-ish years since the end of WW2 when they got equal rights and all, with some of them only becoming uninhabited over the last 20-40 years. There are even villages and infrastructure left abandoned on some of them. Hundreds and sometimes thousands of people used to live there in autonomy, the islands have more than enough fresh water and food to support a small community like my family and close friends.

quote:

Any money spent on anything other than land - secure land - is wasted.

quote:

People looking for island paradises will always find that the natives are the greatest threat against their happiness.

quote:

Hence why one should purchase a boat instead. Makes for a better island.

quote:

Downsides of a boat. killer whales launching coordinated attacks on boats. Disturbances in nature are everywhere now and some, like this one, seem to focus directly on humans

https://news.yahoo.com/pod-crazy-killer-whales-launching-142351438.html

quote:

Has anyone considered bugging out on a boat?

I've been debating for some time now whether it's better to buy land and get a garden going, or to buy and equip a sailboat. The boat has some distinct advantages :

Water is a great way to avoid hungry, gun toting hordes.
Boats are designed for long distance self sufficiency, including water tanks, storage, generators, storage, etc.
Water transport will probably be a career in the post-collapse world, either for people or goods. There's even a transport network already running near me.
Boats can be docked temporarily for foraging, and are readily equipped for fishing.
Escaping oppressive governments is suddenly dramatically easier than it used to be.
It's significantly cheaper to buy a boat than a house with land.
Your transportation is your house is your storage, making travel, preparedness and escape immensely easier.
No roads to block your way.

The drawbacks I can think of are :

Boats require heavy maintenance. They may only be worth keeping to survive the first year or two of the collapse (which might be enough) before losing functionality. No-one is going to be applying fiberglass in a post-collapse world.
Boats more or less preclude any chance of gardening or keeping animals, unless you're maintaining seaweed beds of some sort. So even if you do plan to dock somewhere eventually, you're not going to have that supply of bamboo / fruit trees / rabbits you always wanted.
Boats are cold and humid, which can cause issues for food and clothing you have in storage.
There is no dedicated water source, unless you rely on a de-salinator or sail in freshwater. Local rivers combined with collecting water from sails might compensate for this.
Despite the storage, boats would still be fairly small in comparison to a properly equipped set of tools, food, water, etc.
Does anyone have any thoughts on this, whether it's a good idea, what boats might last the longest, how you'd equip your boat, where you'd keep it, what you'd do with it, etc.

quote:

My boat is my backup plan if it looks like cites are unlivable. I have a 33' and my brother has a 41' (he already lives aboard it too). My two kayaks are usually on board. And my marina is fairly well secured so that initial raiders will go for easier and more useful targets. I can walk to my marina in a few hours if I can't drive (or bike).

My boat currently has 60 watts of solar panels and I am planning on upgrading this to about 180 watts and adding an electric stove top. I currently have a kerosene heater but I plan on upgrading to a solid fuel heater soon. I keep enough fuel on my boat to run the motor for about 24 hours which is more than enough to get me away from any major urban centers in a hurry even if there is no wind. I always keep extra foul weather gear, blankets, etc. Plus my fresh water tank is always filled when I get back.

I live in the Puget Sound area and there are thousands of uninhabited islands between here and Alaska that I can hold up at. Around here there are fresh water sources along the shore every few miles so I have no worries about water. I can forage greens and berries 9 months out of the year and not only is there fish and crabs but I often see deer swiming between the islands around here which would be easy pickings if I needed to.

quote:

Look up Seasteading.

quote:

Look into getting a propane fuel engine. Propane will last indefinitely if stored in a container that won't rust.

It's why I recommend stocking up as much as possible. I currently have two 1,000 gallon propane tanks (titanium, won't rust) and a third is being installed at my business property. I figure it'll come in handy soon enough.

quote:

Don't be so down on sprouting. If you do it right, all you would really need is five 1 quart jars to harvest everyday. They provide protein and vitamins. You're gonna want to avoid scurvy.

I've got about 30 pounds of mung beans (give or take) at any given time. I eat them all the time. Add them to ramen noodles and baby, you've got a stew going.

quote:

quote:

Yeah but... Pirates

Some of us plan on becoming the pirates.

quote:

Scared masses have a way of self-selecting themselves out of the gene pool, when the heat is on. It's a sad fact that those who cannot innovate and thrive in high-stress, dangerous environments simply won't survive. That means that the next generation will be comprised of the offspring of intelligent, resourceful people. Some will be pirates. Some will be paladins (for lack of a better term).

quote:

I would try and find books that ARE about : Single handers (people operating vessels alone - whether or not you plan to be alone...there is always the chance that you will end up that way) People who have managed to make it self sustaining Sailors who equip and manage their vessel on a very strict budget People who were amateurs that over years logged a lot of miles, and are offsetting their debt by publishing a how to. Lots of honest good stuff in here.

Also try learning what you can about Celestial Navigation, Dead reckoning, Weather, seasonal patterns, and global sailing seasons. A great resource for this is The Lo Tech Navigator. Not only does it explain the theory quite well, but also instructs on how you can actually build some critical sea nav pieces yourself. Depending on tech is good, but the failure rate on electronic devices is ultimately 100%. So knowing how to do it all old school...is well...we're all here so we get the value there.

Take up some basic sailing courses. Search in your area, there are almost always small sailing associations that you can join for a very small amount if anything and learn to sail at least small dhingys. It has been said by more than one person that these are the absolute best way to learn basic sailing theory as it puts your in a very tactile relationship with the forces at play.

The Boat:

My set up here would be, steel, monohull, full keel, dacron sails, junk rig, preferably between 38 and 45 feet. This covers the basic problems of extended voyages on a sailing vessel. A steel hull will give you better durability. Yes there are issues over a glass boat...but I would rather careen, sand and paint and just blow thru coral that you don't have charts for rather than get sunk. Monohulls...really hard to knock down, and are mostly self correcting in a capsize. While the catamaran in waterworld seemed nifty, if those get knocked over, which they can more easily...game over pretty much. Full keels are more solid in the water, smoother sailing and don't have fins that get stuck if in shallow waters...plus you can carefully careen them on low tides to to bottom repairs with a much reduced risk of damaging the hull...or fin keel. Dacron is the toughest and most durable for the price. Junk rigs while many people will rail against, are slower. But easier to sail alone, easier to reef in rough weather, self tackings, less stress on sail material and reduce rolling of the boat in heavy seas. The size is optimal for comfort, less roll in the swell, and sufficient size to increase speed as the result of a steel hull.

Load out:

Tons has been written on this and everyone has they bug out supply list in their own mind. All I will say is what my father is fond of saying "Keep it simple stupid". The more tech, the more systems you have, the more parts, more weight, more tools you need to have to operate it. I am very much of the opinion that some time spent learning the old school, and keeping the vessel ship shape is way more important than learning to depend on expensive tech which will fail you eventually. If you've read "Sailing around the world alone" a self steering wind vain is replaed by simply learning to ballance the sails and lashing the helm. Just one example. But if all you need is your boat, the required mechanical components (rigging, chain, anchors etc...extra of all of that is worth getting) sails, sheets, etc then you CAN get buy...as the poster mentioned, on 15th century (and way earlier) tech but with a sturdy seaworthy 20th century vessel.. You will be able to outlast all the retirees in factory mint hunters packed with GPS and radar.

Necessities:

Food gathering supplies (out of scope here). Water gathering supplies. A good rain water collecting system is good, and good holding capacities, and always be on the hunt for land based fresh water supplies. As much diesel as you can carry, and always be on the lookout for more. For power, I am a fan of water impellers. Simple in design, always operating even if you are drifting, easy to repair...just be sure to really tie that sucker on hard. Anything else...vitamins, medicine, etc...obviously whatever you can get your hands on...bring it. I would pack the boat with this before worrying about spending cargo space with tools and parts for tech. Also, as good a set of paper charts and know how to navigate with them. These can be gotten fairly cheaply and in compendium style collections.

The bug out mentality: The interesting thing about sailing for a bug out..is that you have to apply everything we are all trying to learn and assemble just by being readers of this subreddit. Even in a regular sailing voyage, the sea will test you, demand all of your respect and faculties, strength of body and mind. You need not be some tough as nails sailors...teens circumnavigate alone annually. But you will need to muster all of the know how, planning, smarts etc to stay alive. But since you got through this TL;DR mess, it means you are not afraid to scour for information to equip yourself against anything. And all of that learning will pay off equally as well in a sailing scenario as it would on land. You will always need to go ashore for various things...I cannot think of a single situation where people don't out of necessity. But armed with plans, information, maps, (everything you would want in a land based scenario) your passage times can be relatively short compared with your land falls to resupply, repair in uninhabited or non-hostile places. The south pacific is absolutely filled with such havens.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Buying Wet Masonry: Wth do they build houses in flood zones lol this sucks

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

And if the Feds didn't cover all the high risk flood insurance at a huge loss, none of the private companies would offer flood insurance for a lot of these places because lol no one in their right mind underwrites against a known inevitable and recurring disaster. It's a pre-existing condition, if you will. Don't build/buy in obvious and known flood zones you dimwits.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
I like the gradual shift in tone starting from someone complaining about flood insurance eventually arriving at libertarian island fortresses and a guy thinking that living on a boat after a world catastrophe is too dangerous because swarms of orcas are gonna eat you.

Masterful compilation, 10/10

threelemmings fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Nov 9, 2020

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

Buying Wet Masonry: Wth do they build houses in flood zones lol this sucks

Basements with mold: my house equity is under water!

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
When I first was looking into buying a house I found this crappy little house with a great garage type out building and a greenhouse in a a convenient if run down neighborhood for cheap. But it backed to a local creek that is known for flooding pretty often and it had a pump installed in the dirt basement with a huge drain hose coming out. Also the roof was shot and it had a lot of deferred maintenance. But since I was/am an idiot my younger self could only see the dreams I had projected onto the property. I knew it was 8n a flood zone and asked one of my customers at the bank who was an insurance agent if he could get me a quote for flood insurance. His reply was, "If you get me the property information I can get you a quote, but usually it is the reason people choose not to buy the property in the first place. It is likely from what you describe that the flood insurance payment would be significantly more than the mortgage payment."

That was one of the best reality checks anyone ever gave me. Plus now that I am older and have a second kid I cannot imagine how much is a pain in the rear end a flood would be even if everything was covered.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
jfc you guys it's not that hard: if it's a 100 year flood zone just look up the last time it flooded and then wait until 100 years after then to buy insurance.

it's called math maybe you should google it

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

When I did real estate law it amazed me how often people dropping 6-7 figgies on what is likely the major capital investment of their lives start becoming penny wise and pound foolish on protecting that investment. Title insurance being another one of those things people object to paying when the cost is negligible compared to the purchase price.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

DaveSauce posted:

jfc you guys it's not that hard: if it's a 100 year flood zone just look up the last time it flooded and then wait until 100 years after then to buy insurance.

it's called math maybe you should google it

quote:

quote:

Your house will flood once every 100 years in an AE zone.

It's risky as all hell.

Sorry, my recommendation is walk away from the house. There is no "cheaper" flood insurance; it's all issued by uncle sam, doesn't matter who you get to issue the policy.

Pardon me for being pedantic, but the better way to say this is that any given year OP’s house has a 1% chance of flooding.

quote:

If it is only a 1% chance, then is it really that big of a deal? It looks like it flooded 8 years ago and there is an average of one flood per 100 years so youre pretty safe. Can you skip it?

quote:

Not quite always I own i piece of property where the back corner is in a flood zone but the house it self isn't and the house is raised on top of that. The mortgage company requires flood insurance but the insurance people don't understand why so I get charged the same as a non-required but am required. I could fight it but it was going to cost like 6 000 and I didn't see the point in dropping 6 years of flood premiums on something I might lose anyway.

quote:

I was referring to instances when food insurance is required, which seems to be OP’s case.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

quote:

Not quite always I own i piece of property where the back corner is in a flood zone but the house it self isn't and the house is raised on top of that. The mortgage company requires flood insurance but the insurance people don't understand why so I get charged the same as a non-required but am required. I could fight it but it was going to cost like 6 000 and I didn't see the point in dropping 6 years of flood premiums on something I might lose anyway.

Just cut off the back piece of your property bing bong so easy

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
That’s a weird definition of “100-year floodplain,” but I looked it up, and it appears to be correct. Something that happens once per hundred years does not have 1% chance of happening in any given year.

PalaNIN
Sep 19, 2004

LRLRRRLLRRLRLRLRRLRLR
Being World Magnates: Some of us plan on becoming the pirates.

edit: should have gone with water instead of world

PalaNIN fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Nov 9, 2020

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I posted this in the "we live in a bad cyberpunk dystopia" thread but maybe I should have posted it here.

Spend your retirement traversing the wastes between the arcologies with a vehicle that mixes an F-150 and a ATV and an RV and an APC.
https://earthroamer.com/

This one is a half millions dollars, "pre-roamed," and comes with a gun case and a wine rack.
https://earthroamer.com/pre-roamed/pre-roamed-226/

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

If it is only a 1% chance, then is it really that big of a deal? It looks like it flooded 8 years ago and there is an average of one flood per 100 years so youre pretty safe. Can you skip it?

I love the logic here. Let's pretend it won't flood for another 92 years, but also ignore the fact that it JUST flooded, and who knows if the owner cleaned up/fixed everything that was damaged.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

George H.W. oval office posted:

Just cut off the back piece of your property bing bong so easy

You could theoretically subdivide your lot and sell off the other half. I have no idea what the actual insurance implications of this would be, though. Seems like a lot of effort just make your flood insurance optional.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

doingitwrong posted:

I posted this in the "we live in a bad cyberpunk dystopia" thread but maybe I should have posted it here.

Spend your retirement traversing the wastes between the arcologies with a vehicle that mixes an F-150 and a ATV and an RV and an APC.
https://earthroamer.com/

This one is a half millions dollars, "pre-roamed," and comes with a gun case and a wine rack.
https://earthroamer.com/pre-roamed/pre-roamed-226/

Wow. I feel like for under a hundred thousand I could put a really nice camper on top of a really nice used truck and call it a day.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

DaveSauce posted:

I love the logic here. Let's pretend it won't flood for another 92 years, but also ignore the fact that it JUST flooded, and who knows if the owner cleaned up/fixed everything that was damaged.

He’s lucky that there isn’t any sort of global trend driving up sea levels in a way that could affect those statistics as well.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

CodfishCartographer posted:

I don't have any actual data on hand but my experience is from working at mobile game companies for several years, and being married to someone whose job it was to keep an open line of communication between whales and mobile game companies.

E: to clarify: I have had access to this data in the last, but only using in-house tools. I'm not currently at a mobile game company so can't check them at the moment.

It’s way ethically easier to make fun of the bwm rich idiot who spends his fun money wastefully than the bwm middle class dude losing his house due to a gambling addiction, so game makers are incentivised to promote the Big Whale Money narrative.

I’ve got no doubt a few of the rich idiots exist but I wonder if they are the bulk of the revenue or if they are just providing ethical cover for the exploitation of regular idiots.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

My dad and my aunt joined some football prediction pool for $300. Everyone who makes it to the end will split the pot.

They decided to both make identical picks in order to maximize their potential winnings.

They both picked the Jets to beat the Chiefs last week.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

It’s way ethically easier to make fun of the bwm rich idiot who spends his fun money wastefully than the bwm middle class dude losing his house due to a gambling addiction, so game makers are incentivised to promote the Big Whale Money narrative.

I’ve got no doubt a few of the rich idiots exist but I wonder if they are the bulk of the revenue or if they are just providing ethical cover for the exploitation of regular idiots.

This study is from 5 years ago, but I would guess that the figures are still pretty similar.

quote:

A recent study from Swrve has determined that only 2.2% of a free-to-play player base ever pay for the content on average, with almost half of the revenue coming from ten percent of that number, a minuscule 0.22%. Less surprisingly, two-thirds of all players who begin playing an app stop playing within one day of starting.

Swrve began the study by tracking 10 million new players to over 30 different mobile games over the course of ninety days. During this time period, they found that the only revenue to come out of player's pockets was from 2.2 percent of the entire 10 million. Within that 2.2 percent, a tenth of that number was responsible to 46 percent of the revenues. To simplify it, out of ten million users, only 22,000 users are responsible for a little less than half of revenues. These are the "whales" who essentially fund the game.

The business model is basically:

1) Ads
2) Whales
3) A large base of free players to keep the game alive for the whales.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
Yeah the newest version is here, the trends haven’t changed:

https://cdn2.hubspot.net/hubfs/5516657/Monetization%20Report_final.pdf

It’s easy to find this sort of stuff but pretty hard to find a demographic study of whales breaking down income, gender, age etc. I don’t want to derail further with my conspiracy theory though, I’m just suspicious of the rich idiot theory.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

I mean... *gestures at literally every other system in the U.S.*

Seems like a reasonable supposition.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

You could theoretically subdivide your lot and sell off the other half. I have no idea what the actual insurance implications of this would be, though. Seems like a lot of effort just make your flood insurance optional.

Yes, subdividing your mortgaged property. This is something that will go well.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
My girlfriend just subdivided her property, sold one of the plots off, and paid off her mortgage with it the proceeds. Seems to be going pretty well for her. :shrug:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

quote:

Gun stocks tumble after upbeat vaccine news, lack of civil unrest

(Reuters) - Shares of firearms sellers tumbled on Monday as promising data from a COVID-19 vaccine trial knocked stay-at-home stocks, and as civil unrest failed to materialize after Democrat Joe Biden emerged as the winner of last week’s presidential election.

Smith & Wesson Brands SWBI.O and rival Sturm Ruger & Co RGR.N fell more than 9%, while Vista Outdoor VSTO.N, which sells ammunition and a range of sporting goods, fell over 12%.

Previously on Reddit...

quote:

Invest in firearms?

trump announced that he will allow local police to buy military weapons. With that and these protests/riots, would it be a good idea to invest in Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc. (RGR) stock?

quote:

Buy gun stocks when they elect Democrats, sell when they elect Republicans.

quote:

I just put all of my "play money" and about 15% of my 401k into RGR and SWBI for the election. Polls have Trump down.

quote:

I'd go military defense over guns. ITA, XAR, PPA, DFEN.

quote:

I tried using guns as an investment, yet always seem to lose money. The best way to go about it is through private sales. I went through a gun store and bought an original early(1918) Type 38 Arisaka thinking the value would go up on it, needless to say they are going less than what I paid for them lol.

quote:

Gun companies to invest in?

quote:

Wait till a Democrat becomes president, gun sales skyrocket when rednecks think someone is gonna take away their guns. Buy options and profit

quote:

quote:

The problem with guns, as a business, is that they are relatively cheap and last forever. After so many gun control scares, all the gun nuts (self included) have as many guns as they will ever want.

There's always more to want

quote:

$RGR

quote:

$AOBC, $RGR, $VSTO

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

therobit posted:

Wow. I feel like for under a hundred thousand I could put a really nice camper on top of a really nice used truck and call it a day.

You could but Earthroamers really are amazing. Its a luxury camper on top of a very well appointed vehicle with tons of custom touches to blend those 2 without compromising the offroad ability or the rv. But thats also an extremely niche product that does more in both categories than most people need.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

SpartanIvy posted:

My girlfriend just subdivided her property, sold one of the plots off, and paid off her mortgage with it the proceeds. Seems to be going pretty well for her. :shrug:
Unless the property appraised for more than the loan balance without the additional parcel, that's not generally something that's gonna be possible because you get a mortgage for the whole property as described in the deed encumbered by the lien, and you're impacting the mortgagee's rights. So your GF is fortunate that the property appreciated enough (or the loan's balance fell enough due to time/inflation) to be able to do that; that's likely not gonna be the typical case!

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

At least when I practiced banks would go along with it so long as all or part of the sale went to paying down the mortgage so that the remaining parcel adequately secured their interest. Fun times if the seller takes the money and runs though!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SpartanIvy posted:

So she subdivided something of value, on a property with a note so small that it could be paid off by selling that thing. That sounds a bit different than subdividing a literally worthless corner of your lot off for the express purpose of dropping flood insurance which is required by the note you have on the property as it is right now.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Previously on Reddit...

Gun stocks tumble after upbeat vaccine news, lack of civil unrest posted:

I don't even know why The Onion tries anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Atticus_1354 posted:

You could but Earthroamers really are amazing. Its a luxury camper on top of a very well appointed vehicle with tons of custom touches to blend those 2 without compromising the offroad ability or the rv. But thats also an extremely niche product that does more in both categories than most people need.

It seems extremely niche. You can get a customized Sprinter for like a quarter of the price.