Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
In theory having not too many skill points + a whole new tree should promote build diversity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Rinkles posted:

In theory having not too many skill points + a whole new tree should promote build diversity.

With the hierarchical structure of the skill trees I don't think it works well. When it takes like 15 points in a tree to get to the skill you actually want, it still drives specialized builds and min/maxing stats.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Rinkles posted:

And Zane currently only has one meaningfully distinct viable build, so it's good his new stuff looks viable. Although it does seem to play particularly well with Seein' Dead, and probably the best way to mix things up for him would be to make the Under Cover tree better.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Arms Race trailer:

https://twitter.com/Borderlands/status/1321854654276280320?s=20

I think that's the voice of Salvador?

Looks like it could be fun, but unclear on what you can take out of it to the main game. Seems like it can get you using gear you may not have tried before, and relive earlier levels where you didnt have to completely optimize and shotguns are dirty good.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

Looks like it could be fun, but unclear on what you can take out of it to the main game.

Said something about extracting loot. So I think it might be kinda like Division 2 Dark Zones, high risk high reward loot? Or knowing Gearbox it will just be trash greens and completely not worth bothering.

Also glad there are no skills so it's a generic shooter where your character choice doesn't matter.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

No skills, pets, or action skills whatsoever in Arms Race. loving weird.

I mean their Mayhem scaling would've hosed it up otherwise (IB and clone can basically play for you), but that's their fault.

I was expecting something like Battleborn where you start without any skills but quickly level up. This takes away most of what makes Borderlands the game it is.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
I heard them say you don't start with any, I'd kinda assumed you'd get some in each run? I guess we'll see when they play through it tomorrow.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Fenn the Fool! posted:

I heard them say you don't start with any, I'd kinda assumed you'd get some in each run? I guess we'll see when they play through it tomorrow.

Yeah this is my assumption, like you gain parts of your skill tree as it progresses or something. There has to be right cause like, the shooting in BL3 was way better than the older ones but it's not enough on its own to sustain a big boss fight without the fun skill synergies and abilities you get, imo at least. Also this Arms Race mode is apparently coming out on the same day as the other piece of season pass content, new skill trees, so if they're completely disabled for the entirety of that game mode then that seems extremely dumb.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Think it's pretty clear cut

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah I read that and there's not many ways to read it in any other way, just hoping against hope I guess and baffled at the decision (I mean this probably just means I don't buy the content so it's saving me money).

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Oct 29, 2020

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

also new models, compatible with old heads and skins

part of the new season pass, but you also get them if you had the super deluxe or some such version of bl3

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

This sounds fairly divorced from the primary game outside of some loot carrying over. Since there's no action skills to explain away, I would have been a little more enthusiastic about this if it offered a selection of characters to play as instead of just our PC sans skills and inventory.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
I'm torn on arms race. I like the general idea of the mode but getting rid of most of what makes the game fun seems like a weird decision. Hopefully the randomness of having to use different guns will balance that out at least a little.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Rinkles posted:

also new models, compatible with old heads and skins

part of the new season pass, but you also get them if you had the super deluxe or some such version of bl3

Those look cool! I think the version it's included with is the new edition that comes with the second season pass, which is part of.

For now, I think removing skills and focusing Arms race on the guns sounds right, guess we'll see. With action skills it'll be all Phasegrasp making the guns irrelevant.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

Those look cool! I think the version it's included with is the new edition that comes with the second season pass, which is part of.

super deluxe, the old everything included bundle, gets it too, but not the rest of season pass 2

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

They're saying the "Like, Follow and Obey" skins and heads, previously only for streamers, are now free for all via in game mail after updating your Shift account, but it's not worked for me yet.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I've had them for months :c00lbutt:

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

They're added directly to your quick change station, instead of your in-game mail. Took me a while to figure that one out

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Checked the Quick Change too, nothing yet.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Did you remember to verify/add your age and country in the shift settings? I missed that part the first time.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Psychedelicatessen posted:

Did you remember to verify/add your age and country in the shift settings? I missed that part the first time.

Got it now, looks like I needed to opt into the marketing emails.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
Hahahaha gently caress that for a few skins.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
So it looks like Season Pass 2 is out right now, along with the..."Designer's Cut", Arms Race, and Final Form Cosmetics. I'm still not entirely sure what constitutes the Designer's Cut (sounds like an extra skill tree for each character) but the Director's Cut is currently planned for Spring 2021.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Finally played and finished the game. It's not 2, but it was quite fun and engaging.

Is there a consensus on what DLC is worth getting?

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I personally enjoyed the the entire first season pass, but if I had to pick and choose I'd go for 'Moxxi's Heist' and 'Guns Love and Tentacles'.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

Sephyr posted:

Finally played and finished the game. It's not 2, but it was quite fun and engaging.

Is there a consensus on what DLC is worth getting?

I thought they were all pretty fun. Krieg's is probably the weakest but it's not offensively bad, just kinda ho hum overall.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I really enjoyed Bounty of Blood. The whole vibe of it felt rather refreshing.

Also, the song that the bard sings has been stuck in my head this morning.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Yeah I'd say the season 1 pass is worthwhile, even if the Krieg one lets it down a little.

https://borderlands.com/en-US/news/2020-11-09-borderlands-3-patch-hotfixes-nov-9/

MAJOR updates to Zane which I think will actually diversify him, two tree have had their capstone and mid-capstone swapped, and Seein' Dead has been nerfed. Sounds like some of Amara's Phasegrasp-related filth has been removed too

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I think Handsome Jackpot was my favorite DLC - it felt like the strongest stand-alone out of them. All the DLC are better than the main storyline, though.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

IDK about every change (like switching skills without buffing the underpowered capstones), but it's good that they finally got around to fixing poo poo that was obviously not working as intended.

Bleh at more anointment types (including ones for dlc you don't have)

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
Opened the game for the first time in months.

Clicked the PLAY button. Nothing happens.

Clicked the PLAY button again. Nothing happens.

Quit game.

They busted the UI again. Lol.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
So here's what they mayhem 11 legendary drop rate looks like :

So like, not much different really. New Fl4k tree is pretty nice though. I just slapped together a trapper/hunter build with both capstones. One of the gravity snare mods gets rid of the bouncing and confuses enemies instead which made slaughter shaft super easy. Trapper also makes him tanky as hell which is nice.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

BizarroAzrael posted:

Yeah I'd say the season 1 pass is worthwhile, even if the Krieg one lets it down a little.

https://borderlands.com/en-US/news/2020-11-09-borderlands-3-patch-hotfixes-nov-9/

MAJOR updates to Zane which I think will actually diversify him, two tree have had their capstone and mid-capstone swapped, and Seein' Dead has been nerfed. Sounds like some of Amara's Phasegrasp-related filth has been removed too

quote:

The Siren can no longer “Fakegrasp” to activate Anointments,

Wow, that’s been unfixed for a good long time now then. My Amara’s been using a fakegrasp/fear loop buildup since last year’s Halloween event. (Kinda glad they fixed it actually, that setup was noisy as gently caress even if it was basically unstoppable.)

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
Arms race is ok. I completed about 5 runs last night and got a few of the new legendaries. It still feels kinda half baked and I don't think it's something anyone will want to do for fun after the get the items they want.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Zane is kind of loving insane right now. I know they are probably going to nerf this, but holy poo poo. Moxsy has a pretty awesome ricochet build for Zane right now and it loving murders everything.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Mr Scumbag posted:

Opened the game for the first time in months.

Clicked the PLAY button. Nothing happens.

Quit game.

They busted the UI again. Lol.

There was a 4.1GB download when I launched the game last night. Maybe you ran into that?

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
I'm on PS4 and I cannot for the life of me find where to buy the season 2 DLC pass. It doesn't show up in my PS4 store, and I when I go through the link in the game menu, it doesn't appear in the filtered list of store products.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

Listerine posted:

I'm on PS4 and I cannot for the life of me find where to buy the season 2 DLC pass. It doesn't show up in my PS4 store, and I when I go through the link in the game menu, it doesn't appear in the filtered list of store products.

I found it on the playstation app. Just type in borderlands 3 season pass 2 and it should pull up. I tried find some way to drop a link but I couldn't find it in the new app.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Are sniper rifles and rocket launchers ever worthwhile as main weapons?

It feels that they don't do enough damamge/run out of ammunition way too fast to be effective. And pretty much every enemy can hit you with flawless accuracy from across the map with a pistol or just pounce to chew your face in two seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Someone did not get a Yellowcake I see.