Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I really liked the show overall and especially the first season. It got a little weird towards the end when the main characters ended up inventing ‘everything’ wrt the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Echoing the Queen's Gambit is amazing thoughts. My parents asked me like 4 times what the lead actress's name is, and I told them she's been pretty much doing great roles for years. Gonna be Furiosa. Gonna be the lead in the next Edgar Wright film. She's going to BLOW UP. (Anya Taylor-Joy)

air- posted:

HBO max is my most used streaming service lately, they recently added Cradle 2 The Grave and the Lethal Weapon series... the action section has a lot of good stuff and I recently watched Jackie Chan's Police Story as well

HBO Max has the most content I've watched since all these services coexisted. Rick and Morty S4 just showed up. Doom Patrol. Watchmen (and every other HBO show, GoT, etc). All the Studio Ghibli. It's a good set.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Are you a CIA interrogator who is browsing the forums from an unnamed black site? Do you need fresh ideas for how to torture the detainees you're in charge of extracting information from??

Well, good news for you! Because Prime Video is streaming a full 13 seasons of An Evening at the Improv!

Seriously though this was a series that ran from the early 80's to the mid 90's that's just people doing standup. Quite a lot of it has aged very poorly. Quite a lot of it is just plain boring.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Oh God those evening at the improvs. That used to play after SNL and there's a certain weird time capsule charm to them

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The last one I tried to watch was a 1991 episode where a 17 year old Dave Chappelle tells a joke about how he's going to start a fight with a police officer that a friend will secretly film so that he can cash in with a million dollar lawsuit.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I remember when Comedy Central was like 90% old stand up clips. It was kinda horrific.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Maxwell Lord posted:

I remember when Comedy Central was like 90% old stand up clips. It was kinda horrific.

What's on now?

You got exposed to so many good stand ups and some bad ones.

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/2mm9te/comedy-central-presents-unagi

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

More mini-reviews of movies on HBO Max:

Lethal Weapon: I haven't seen this for a while, and it's honestly a really good movie. The characters are well-drawn and interesting, the action is exciting, and the main characters both have good development. A+

Lethal Weapon 2: Also a pretty good movie, although it doesn't reach the highs of the first one. More good action and a solid friendship between two likable characters. The razzing on Murtaugh is a bit too much, though, and should have been left on the cutting room floor. Joe Pesci is right on the line between annoying and sweet, but by the end of the movie I warmed up to him.

Wild, Wild West: Not great, but enjoyable as long as you know it's going to be a silly movie. The two main characters have good chemistry and are good foils for each other. I didn't enjoy the quips between Jim West and the villain, though. (The villain keeps alluding to how Jim West is African American and Jim West makes fun of the villain for missing his legs.) Still, the movie is largely fun and doesn't take itself too seriously.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Maxwell Lord posted:

and Jolly Rancher commercials.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Finally saw The Outpost. It's only ok, but certainly not worthy of the rave reviews it's gotten, which I think have more to do with the dearth of war movies recently than with the actual quality of the film. The script was really silly and fell for every war movie cliche in the book. The only interesting character was Ty Carter, and I think that's just because he was played by a really compelling actor.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

The "stale after" date of standup is, like, always real quick to come up, and even faster these days for some reason. Sets from just a year or two ago seem old. Is Netflix even still doing a lot of standup specials? I haven't seen any on there in ages.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Mescal posted:

The "stale after" date of standup is, like, always real quick to come up, and even faster these days for some reason. Sets from just a year or two ago seem old. Is Netflix even still doing a lot of standup specials? I haven't seen any on there in ages.

An Evening at the Improv is just entirely a time capsule. Its opening graphics, the clothes the performers wear, the look of the brick wall backdrop, the incredibly hacky jokes, the incredibly cringe worthy jokes. It's like someone's weird video they want to go viral, but hours and hours and hours and hours.

Netflix is still cranking out the comedy specials.
Look up Netflix Is A Joke on youtube they're constantly posting clips and highlights of their special. It's practically a sub-channel inside of Netflix. They've even got a Netflix Is A Joke twitter.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Oh also most of the Netflix specials are really bad.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Netflix is still cranking out the comedy specials.
Look up Netflix Is A Joke on youtube they're constantly posting clips and highlights of their special. It's practically a sub-channel inside of Netflix. They've even got a Netflix Is A Joke twitter.

It's also one of the comedy channels on SiriusXM now.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Jim Gaffigan's World Tour series is absolutely dire. Jokes pandering to [current city] are hack as it is. The idea of making a special dedicated to only these jokes is next level insane.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Famethrowa posted:

Jim Gaffigan is absolutely dire.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Famethrowa posted:

Jim Gaffigan's World Tour series is absolutely dire. Jokes pandering to [current city] are hack as it is. The idea of making a special dedicated to only these jokes is next level insane.

gently caress man I was riding in my dad's truck and just saying Dad it's okay that you always have right wing radio on it's your jam don't be ashamed and I heard Jim Gaffigan on O'Reilly.

He is a garbage man with no soul.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

gently caress man I was riding in my dad's truck and just saying Dad it's okay that you always have right wing radio on it's your jam don't be ashamed and I heard Jim Gaffigan on O'Reilly.

He is a garbage man with no soul.

What

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

So like I have a dad and he always kind of listens to right wing talk radio but if you get in his truck he shamefully turns it down/off.

Bill O'Reilly is a right wing crank.

Jim Gaffigan was on his show promoting some poo poo.

Cheese sandwich.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

You should embrace the rightful shame, not enable his lovely private thoughts

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

lament.cfg posted:

You should embrace the rightful shame, not enable his lovely private thoughts

I kept waiting for it to provoke a conversation but instead chew a hole through my cheek.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I Think You Should Leave makes up for all the lovely specials on Netflix.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Gaffigan had an anti-Trump fit a while back, and finally dropped the apolitical part of his public persona (tho I doubt he'd let it work into his act).

He's like a (much) more successful Rodney Carrington- promising, smart, funny, and had so much success with one niche he just settled in it for years and years and ossified.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

GD_American posted:

Gaffigan had an anti-Trump fit a while back, and finally dropped the apolitical part of his public persona (tho I doubt he'd let it work into his act).

He's like a (much) more successful Rodney Carrington- promising, smart, funny, and had so much success with one niche he just settled in it for years and years and ossified.

I liked his bland comedy on CC and his delivery and his acceptance of just boring and mediocre with a little insight but hitch your wagon to that O'Reilly star and we do not forget.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I don't even mind Gaffigan. He's got legit
joke chops when he tries. This one was just insane

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Like was it Fox-era O'Reilly or I STILL HAVE A JOB PEOPLE podcast from his basement O'Reilly, because given all the poo poo stand-ups do to promote I can halfway forgive the former

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Famethrowa posted:

I don't even mind Gaffigan. He's got legit
joke chops when he tries. This one was just insane

He did go crazy a month or so ago and broke from his "no politics" rule to unload on Trump, so that was kinda nice.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

GD_American posted:

I can halfway forgive the former

Very bad take.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

Very bad take.

Have you seen the morning zoo bullshit a road comic has to go on? At that point O'Reilly would probably seem like a haven from fart noises and the extraneous girl that's mock-offended

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Nah, O'Reilly has played a very active part in actively poisoning the mind of a generation and is directly responsible for his role in growing the rift in the US that has a decent chance of dismantling our democracy. Don't think I'm gonna cut Gaffigan a break on this one just because doing press tours sucks. It's blood money and gently caress anyone who takes it full stop.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

feedmyleg posted:

Nah, O'Reilly has played a very active part in actively poisoning the mind of a generation and is directly responsible for his role in growing the rift in the US that has a decent chance of dismantling our democracy. Don't think I'm gonna cut Gaffigan a break on this one just because doing press tours sucks. It's blood money and gently caress anyone who takes it full stop.

This.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
If you buy an iPhone or whatever and get the free year of Apple TV, check out Ted Lasso. It’s so... wholesome. I mean they say bad words and stuff but it’s so relentlessly optimistic. I’m probably only watching it because I’ve seen it recommended in this thread but I just wanted to add my plus 1.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Yep

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

Eh, fair enough. I don't think one "and now for lighter stuff" segment makes him Dennis Miller.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Stewart provides pushback and an alternative viewpoint... comedians are doing a sales pitch

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Did you think you won something here?

Because Jon was a huge hero to us lefties?

I was tired of his poo poo before he retired.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Stewart was just another comedian like Gaffigan.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Watching S1 of Mr. Mercedes on Peacock. The ad breaks are often momentum-halting. Like, a scene will just end at the end of someone's sentence, fade to black, sometimes play an ad, then the next scene will start. I don't feel like I'm losing any information, it's just every third or fourth scene feels like they're a feature-length movie edited down for TV commercials in the 90's. Is this how the actual show was to be seen, or is this an Internet edit version of the show?

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
drat, American Gods really does go off the rails in season 2. The first season was uneven, but interesting and promising. This is just an immediate shitshow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

doctorfrog posted:

Watching S1 of Mr. Mercedes on Peacock. The ad breaks are often momentum-halting. Like, a scene will just end at the end of someone's sentence, fade to black, sometimes play an ad, then the next scene will start. I don't feel like I'm losing any information, it's just every third or fourth scene feels like they're a feature-length movie edited down for TV commercials in the 90's. Is this how the actual show was to be seen, or is this an Internet edit version of the show?

Wikipedia says it was originally on a commercial-free pay TV channel.