Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

smh that Hollywood studios can't just fund a seven hour epic about jihad

we need more films like this

I'd say the Saracens came out looking pretty good compared to the crusaders in the Kingdom of Heaven extended cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Hard to fizzle when there's no interest.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Cacator posted:

I'd say the Saracens came out looking pretty good compared to the crusaders in the Kingdom of Heaven extended cut.

i'm just saying make a long rear end Dune film and then make the next film Dune Messiah or w/e

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

i'm just saying make a long rear end Dune film and then make the next film Dune Messiah or w/e

For the real book length disparity make the first Dune adaptation like five hours long and then make the Dune Messiah adaptation 85 minutes long.

Cacator posted:

I really like that movie a lot. If anyone hasn't seen it it really is like an Alien 3 Assembly Cut level difference in quality. Even much greater in some ways with how much more character and plot was cut out.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Neo Rasa posted:

For the real book length disparity make the first Dune adaptation like five hours long and then make the Dune Messiah adaptation 85 minutes long.

I really like that movie a lot. If anyone hasn't seen it it really is like an Alien 3 Assembly Cut level difference in quality. Even much greater in some ways with how much more character and plot was cut out.

All of Ridley Scott's director cuts are superior. Across the board. I can't think of another director where this is the case. Maybe Zack Snyder?

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

All of Ridley Scott's director cuts are superior. Across the board. I can't think of another director where this is the case. Maybe Zack Snyder?

Legend is a wash, both versions do some things better than the other

Can't remember which cut is hornier, probably Scott's lol

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
Comedy option of Copolla because Redux is so long it makes the viewer feel like they're going crazy just like Lance

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
nvm misread the post

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Comedy option of Copolla because Redux is so long it makes the viewer feel like they're going crazy just like Lance

I'm not saying the French plantation segment is weird and dumb and not particularly greatly executed (I mean it is on all three counts) but like, it's hilarious that they really put that scene back in like right in between them actually approaching Kurtz' territory and "Soon there would be nothing left, it was just me, and Kurtz." :lol:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

All of Ridley Scott's director cuts are superior. Across the board.

Alien DC is not better than the theatrical. The cocoon scene was cut for good reasons.

The Apocalypse Now UHD release has a third cut that splits the difference between theatrical and redux. I’m tempted to pick it up but it would be the third time I’ve bought that movie and I think I’ve only watched the Blu-Ray once.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

david_a posted:

Alien DC is not better than the theatrical. The cocoon scene was cut for good reasons.

Pacing but it is one of the creepiest scenes I've seen in any movie.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

david_a posted:

To be fair, it isn’t actually a true DC. Scott had said the theatrical cut is his preferred version, he just wanted to show fans what could have been and the studio called it a director’s cut for marketing purposes.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Yeah, iirc the studio wanted to say in marketing that they had alternate cuts for all of the Allen movies in their big megabox collection, and offered Scott a (presumably large) amount of money to just gently caress around for a bit and make a different cut they could use.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Yeah, iirc the studio wanted to say in marketing that they had alternate cuts for all of the Allen movies in their big megabox collection, and offered Scott a (presumably large) amount of money to just gently caress around for a bit and make a different cut they could use.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
It's just the In Space Noone Can Hear You In Space movie

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
Ah yes, remembering the time I learned about egg morphing from the Annie Hall director’s cut.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

*Home Improvement grunt*

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Both Gladiator and Alien have an intro before the those cuts of the movie where he's basically like "what's up motherfuckers the film I directed and chose to have released in theaters was absolutely flawless but here's some stuff I threw together so these marketing suits will shut the gently caress up peace"

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Alien 3 is proof that David Fincher is a better director than Scotty Riddle.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

phasmid posted:

i thought no one liked alien 3 better than aliens other than me

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Well, he didn’t say Fincher is better than Cameron. So he might not.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

:hfive:

Bugblatter posted:

For clarification, Fincher is better than Cameron also.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

You've got allies on this forum, my friend :patriot:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I like Alien 3 but saying that it’s better than the original is uh a take alright

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

phasmid posted:

i like Alien 3 better than like 95% of this subforum and even i wouldn't go that far

it's only the second-best Alien movie after Prometheus, after all :haw:

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Nov 10, 2020

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

david_a posted:

I like Alien 3 but saying that it’s better than the original is uh a take alright

Yeah, better than Aliens but not Alien for sure.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

You're in Cinema Discusso.

Aliens is definitely better but you'll find loads of people here with that take. In fairness to Fincher, most of the issues with the finished product were outside of his control and it's far better than it has any right to be. I'd love to see the alternate universe version without all the nonsense surrounding production.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Nov 10, 2020

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

david_a posted:

no way in hell..

it's Alien > Alien^3>Aliens>Prometheus>Alien Resurrection>Alien Covenant

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
[

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i like Alien 3 better than like 95% of this subforum and even i wouldn't go that far

I didn't know I could twist my neck in two directions simultaneously...

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Tuxedo Catfish there not entirely helping the cause where people who love Alien 3 are seen to be maniacs. :v:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

no way in hell..

it's Alien > Alien^3>Aliens>Prometheus>Alien Resurrection>Alien Covenant

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah, better than Aliens but not Alien for sure.

phasmid posted:

Bugblatter posted:

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Yup :cool:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Deranged.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
taste is subjective but good God

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Alien: Covenant is def better than the garbage that is Alien Resurrection.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Better for the alien thread, but if you don't re-evaluate Covenant post-COVID you are doing yourself a disservice.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I think that graphic was made before Covenant, but if it were in the list I'd put it above Resurrection. Covenant has a lot of really interesting stuff going on but it's a mess—just like Resurrection. But it has David which for sure gives it the edge. I feel like Isolation would fit between the two on my list.

Though yeah Covenant deserves a rewatch from me. It was a weird expectations thing for me the first time around.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

feedmyleg posted:

I think that graphic was made before Covenant, but if it were in the list I'd put it above Resurrection. Covenant has a lot of really interesting stuff going on but it's a mess—just like Resurrection. But it has David which for sure gives it the edge. I feel like Isolation would fit between the two on my list.

Though yeah Covenant deserves a rewatch from me. It was a weird expectations thing for me the first time around.

Yeah I made it like a few months before Covenant dropped. I think my actual, real order would be:

Alien (either cut)
Alien 3 assembly cut
Aliens extended
Prometheus
Aliens theatrical
Covenant
Alien 3 theatrical
Alien Resurrection (either cut)

But this is like a pointless thing to rank for me because to me theatrical Alien 3 and Resurrection are the only movies in Actually Bad territory. I love the rest.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The Whedon script for Resurrection is so loving bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

MonsieurChoc posted:

The Whedon script for Resurrection is so loving bad.

Ah see the problem is, scripts have dialogue in them.