Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

of all the style trends, at least cottage core won't look like complete poo poo in 10 years since the entire aim is to look like a house made in 1900-1930

cottage core is new england stolen valor and i will have none of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

yeah I had a week off for camping in Sept and had to cancel after 3 days because of record setting forest fires. going home and sitting around the apartment I work is a lovely vacation

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Been taking every other Friday and every 3rd or 4th week off, it's great. Watching good movies, getting tons of poo poo done around the house, picking up new and old hobbies.

Autumn is on full blast here and the trees are all sorts of shades now, it's magical and gorgeous.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

And video games? You betcha. Probably too many video games tbh

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

i went to vegas back in february before everything blew up and used a week there, then had 3 weeks paternity leave off, then went up north and used a week there, used some random days here and there

it's been a pretty good vacation year in all honesty

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Just checked and I'm on PTO for >50% of the rest of the year. Thanks, past me!

Seeing lots of cozy fires and mulled cider in my future.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
taking thanksgiving week and 4 weeks for christmas. feels good man

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

oh yeah i should put in for end of the year leave

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i have the day before Thanksgiving and the Monday after, plus 2 random 3 day weekends and the last 2 weeks of the year off. Much much better than the 3 days i had last year from my old job.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Shaggar posted:

cottage core is new england stolen valor and i will have none of it

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

yeah I’m off on annual leave from last monday till after new year’s.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
My 4 week holiday vacation starts on Thursday. Should get back just about when everybody else starts their vacations.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
during lockdown i forgot to take a week off of work i had scheduled (me and the guys usually try to schedule/coordinate at the beginning of the year so there's not too much overlap), but i have next week off for whitetail hunting season and i cant wait.

no computers for a week.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

during lockdown i forgot to take a week off of work i had scheduled (me and the guys usually try to schedule/coordinate at the beginning of the year so there's not too much overlap), but i have next week off for whitetail hunting season and i cant wait.

no computers for a week.

Blackula69's wife just woke up in a cold sweat.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Fortaleza posted:

Been taking every other Friday and every 3rd or 4th week off, it's great. Watching good movies, getting tons of poo poo done around the house,

thats what all my time off is going to; small tasks and mindless but time intensive home projects. one week i spent three days lazily shampooing carpet and it felt great; just one thing to do and no pressure or expectations. for lunch i went to a park and wandered for an hour or two

if i took time off and did anything else itd be at the same desk i work at and that would be depressing

Fortaleza posted:

Seeing lots of cozy fires and mulled cider in my future.

oh yeah, i got that ok the list too! we bought some cider and have various liquors to mull over but the fireplace probably also needs a cleaning, so its going on the list after clearing some old boxes from storage

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 26 minutes!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/08/business/digital-nomads-regret.html

:sharpens knives:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
Slippery Tilde

Agile Vector posted:

oh yeah, i got that ok the list too! we bought some cider and have various liquors to mull over but the fireplace probably also needs a cleaning, so its going on the list after clearing some old boxes from storage

i've gotta hire a guy to inspect and clean the chimney, don't think i should've waited this long into the year

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i've gotta hire a guy to inspect and clean the chimney, don't think i should've waited this long into the year

that sounds like me and in turn sounds like my dad when i was a kid every year. i dont think there was a time we ever got it done in the summer, despite every past year realizing it needed a cleaning after the first snow the year before

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

we've got mandartory yearly chimney sweeps but i rent so i just get a card in the mailbox stating when a guy will be over. this year he (a new guy) just showed up, asked when the chimneys were last swept, asked me if i'd used any of the fireplaces after that, said "OK see you in a year" and left.

when my mum lived in the sticks they had a municipal chimney sweep cum fire inspector and one year no chimneys got swept because the guy won some TV talent contest and quit.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
Slippery Tilde

“They make you feel bad because you’re not unplugging and getting into nature,” Ms. Smith-Adair said. “This is my job. I want to unplug, but I also have to get on that Zoom call real quick.” At an R.V. park near Boise, Idaho, she noticed a Wi-Fi hot spot whose name was the equivalent of a middle finger directed at all Californians.

Ms. Smith-Adair’s office became a folding chair on the sidewalk outside whatever McDonald’s or Starbucks was nearby. It wasn’t exactly a peaceful commune with the redwoods. During one curbside conference call in Eugene, Ore., a nearby man with a weed whacker began roaring his motor. Ms. Adair-Smith told him that she was trying to salvage her career. He didn’t care.

lmao

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
that whole article is a treat, start to finish

the woman who decided to sell everything, buy a tesla, and hit the road (with her dog) and see america for a year was my favorite. turns out, pandemic america isnt much fun to see, its cold, people will steal your precious tesla if youre not careful, your dog will get sick, and its hard to do your remote job driving in the middle of nowhere with spotty cell service. who knew?

the guy who was upset about the "haters" who didnt seem to appreciate him continually showing off his tropical adventures while they were stressed out and trapped at home during quarantine was the runner up

graph posted:

:sharpens knives:
guillotines for the lot of them

FMguru fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Nov 10, 2020

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

a lot of californians move to states like idaho or montana because it's "quaint," and they tend to be extremely snobby and dismissive of the locals. i hope they all get run out with their dumb adventure vans.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

3D Megadoodoo posted:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Doin a dry week, wish me luck.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
Slippery Tilde

Roosevelt posted:

a lot of californians move to states like idaho or montana because it's "quaint," and they tend to be extremely snobby and dismissive of the locals. i hope they all get run out with their dumb adventure vans.

tbf reno does sound like a real bummer

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

spankmeister posted:

Doin a dry week, wish me luck.

Better now than last week, am I right?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jabor posted:

Better now than last week, am I right?

Yes, although tbh I was pretty zen the whole week. I just resigned to the fact that the US is a failed state.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

haven't had a drop since 11pm on election night

feelin p good, set my fitbit app up again and I'm hoping to drop another 10 or 15 pounds and attain thinness

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I have dropped 30 kg (66lbs.) in the past two years or so. Slow and steady. Still have about 20 lbs left to go but I think I'll get there in January. Gaining a couple keys during lockdown times didn't help but I'm back on track.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

3D Megadoodoo posted:

don't worry. he'll protect her.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Roosevelt posted:

The city I'm from in Quebec is pretty isolated (2h drive from the closest bigger city) and not very large (~200k people), but our college has a province-unique media program where people study to do stuff like journalism, radio, advertisement, and tv or movie-related trades. So every year we get a bunch of Montreal kids moving in temporarily for college. Montreal's not that far, it's ~500km and if you drive it normally you're there in 4.5 to 5 hours. It's closer by than SF is to LA.

I shared some electives and the multimedia program I was in was located in the same building and had a shared cafeteria. They constantly behaved like they'd soon be part of the star-system by working in the media, and would re-frame everything in terms of it. Something about the combination of "gonna make it big" (rather than just ending up manning the console at a lovely municipal tv station with 2h of non-network programming a day), knowing they'd not stick around, and being the first time they ever lived away from home made them insufferable.

They just walked around like they were Brits landing in any other culture and going to bring in civilization to us poor unwashed masses. I wish I were kidding, but when you'd overhear them discussing things in their in-group, they literally called the rest of us "the natives". It's already loving insulting to take aboriginal folks and just call em that way, but somehow dumping everyone else within that same out-group doesn't feel like equal opportunity dismissal.

Anyway if this is the dynamic within the same province within a day's driving distance, I can't imagine the poo poo people from flyovers get from the city folks just breezing through as "digital nomads" and all the self-assigned pride that comes from this poo poo.

MononcQc fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Nov 10, 2020

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

3D Megadoodoo posted:

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

3D Megadoodoo posted:

idgi

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
he once said something about how he didn't think his little white girlfriend would be safe walking around harlem. don't remember the exact phrasing but her size, gender, and race were absolutely factors.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

tbf reno does sound like a real bummer

It really is.

There's a neat car museum there but everything else is just dire

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I absolutely loved Nevada and I would unironically consider moving to Las Vegas provided I had a solid wfh gig

the weather is perfect and outside of the strip there’s heaps of outdoor activities to partake in (and also legal weed and a really good ethnic food scene)

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

President Beep posted:

he once said something about how he didn't think his little white girlfriend would be safe walking around harlem. don't remember the exact phrasing but her size, gender, and race were absolutely factors.

blonde, petite, huge bobbs

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I absolutely loved Nevada and I would unironically consider moving to Las Vegas provided I had a solid wfh gig

the weather is perfect and outside of the strip there’s heaps of outdoor activities to partake in (and also legal weed and a really good ethnic food scene)

the food is good but the last time I was there it was one hundred and goddamn twelve fahrenheit degrees and the world is warming so as a long term option I crossed it off my list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

las vegas is dogshit garbage