Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

dee eight posted:

i have already established myself as a practicing Bokononist ITT

i've always stated that a granfalloon is a long way of spelling goon but never got traction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

i have an absolutely embarrassing amount of guitars for how lovely i am at guitar and my best one by an insanely huge order of magnitude is some cheap epi les paul that came in some promotional pack that was like THIS IS A REPLICA OF SLASH'S GUITAR that i paid a hundred bucks for including a really decent practice amp

guitars are something i'd never spend more than a hundred bucks on without playing first, but that's mostly because the ones that are really expensive seem to have insane quality variances from one to the next

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

i've always stated that a granfalloon is a long way of spelling goon but never got traction

i like this as long as we don't all have to press our drat feet together at goon meets

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
handmade means quality variance, thats why we are onto non handmade stuff for anything actually important

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Picnic Princess posted:

Boomers will have your pets killed when you move rentals and the new place they like doesn't allow pets.

Can confirm, happened to my cat. They tried to act like the victim too when I confronted them about it. What the ever loving gently caress is wrong with this specific age group of people?

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Greg12 posted:

this guy

he's black

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Bonzo posted:

Epiphones are still good right?

Gibson seems to just market to the players who go to Guitar Center to buy the $5,000 "custom made" model from their favorite rock guitarist.

I'm absolutely certain I talked about the guitar thing in this thread already but guitars in general are a huge loving scam and Gibsons are probably the worst in that aspect. Unsurprisingly they are the loving boomerest guitars. If you ever want to piss off a boomer tell him that a Gibson is an overpriced vanity item and that almost no one could tell the difference between a Gibson and an Epiphone, especially once it's ran through pedals. I got into a back and forth about this with a boomer and he just refused to admit that poo poo like the finish has absolutely no effect on the sound. Eventually he relented with, and I'm not even exaggerating, "You might not be able to hear it but it makes a difference.". There are multiple youtube videos of guys playing guitars made out of shovels and poo poo. The loving snake oil bullshit that guitar people fall for is insane and boomers are the biggest marks of all.

ghost emoji posted:

Boomers love to assume any other white person in their vicinity really wants to hear their new racist joke.

especially if they can follow it up with a “can’t say that nowadays can you, they won’t let you joke about anything these days”

I have an uncle that will go on and on and on about nothing. Talking to him at all is such an uncomfortable and unpleasant hassle that I've literally ran away from him when I saw him in public on at least two occasions before he could spot me. One of his biggest hobbies is calling my mom and subjecting her to this. He will straight up talk for two hours about loving nothing and my mother is too nice to just lie and hang up. Anyway, he jumped on the Trump train real hard. So every time he talks to her he can't stop saying how great Trump is and all the awesome stuff he's done, and he gave all kinds of donations to black scholarships, and how the reason she doesn't believe any of this is because she's reading the wrong things. My mom despises Trump so the last conversation she had with him she kept saying that she didn't want to talk about this. He kept ignoring her and doing his whole routine. Finally she actually did lie to him for once and said someone else was calling. So now I'm actually dying to have him pull this poo poo with me because when he does I'm going to say "I've come around on Trump because he wants to preserve the purity of the white race." just to see his reaction. Because he's one of those Trump supporters who is totally not racist and he can't be anyway because his wife is black. Now one would think that fact would make him have an immediate kneejerk reaction but I once saw my other uncle say to him "It was [n word]ism at its finest." when we were all in a nursing home at 3:00am because my grandmother was going to die.

My aunts and uncles are all garbage and I can't stand a single one of them.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Azuth0667 posted:

Can confirm, happened to my cat. They tried to act like the victim too when I confronted them about it. What the ever loving gently caress is wrong with this specific age group of people?

Environmental lead, materially privileged upbringing, generational war trauma.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Picnic Princess posted:

Boomers will have your pets killed when you move rentals and the new place they like doesn't allow pets.

I remember when I adopted my cat, the place I got her from specifically asked me what I would do if I had to move across country, and I of course answered that I would bring her with me. At the time it confused me, because I couldn't think of any other answer.

Now that I've been out in the world, I have learned that a lot of times people will just let their cats go, like toss them outside and forget about them when they become too inconvenient.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

I remember when I adopted my cat, the place I got her from specifically asked me what I would do if I had to move across country, and I of course answered that I would bring her with me. At the time it confused me, because I couldn't think of any other answer.

Now that I've been out in the world, I have learned that a lot of times people will just let their cats go, like toss them outside and forget about them when they become too inconvenient.

One reason I did not adopt at a rescue (but did a different one) was when they asked the same question, I replied as you did, and they said No, No, you bring the animal back to us.

Wasn't an exotic. Could move state lines. But this place didn't want any of their animals to leave the state period.,

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Cowslips Warren posted:

One reason I did not adopt at a rescue (but did a different one) was when they asked the same question, I replied as you did, and they said No, No, you bring the animal back to us.

Wasn't an exotic. Could move state lines. But this place didn't want any of their animals to leave the state period.,

The place we adopted our dogs from said that too.

They came with us when we moved though, because that’s ridiculous we love our dogs and wouldn’t leave them for anything. :colbert:

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Cowslips Warren posted:

This is loving weird. I can't think of a rationale for that.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
What the gently caress? That's insane.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Beachcomber posted:

:same:

I know some pets don't travel well, but there are ways to ease that.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Things Boomers Like: An alarming number of dead pets.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Some shelter people are a little bit nuts. Though seeing boomer poo poo will do that. Or maybe they assume that you might be lying and want to make sure that you can just bring the animal back to them, you don't have to leave them behind.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

CPL593H posted:

I'm absolutely certain I talked about the guitar thing in this thread already but guitars in general are a huge loving scam and Gibsons are probably the worst in that aspect. Unsurprisingly they are the loving boomerest guitars. If you ever want to piss off a boomer tell him that a Gibson is an overpriced vanity item and that almost no one could tell the difference between a Gibson and an Epiphone, especially once it's ran through pedals. I got into a back and forth about this with a boomer and he just refused to admit that poo poo like the finish has absolutely no effect on the sound. Eventually he relented with, and I'm not even exaggerating, "You might not be able to hear it but it makes a difference.". There are multiple youtube videos of guys playing guitars made out of shovels and poo poo. The loving snake oil bullshit that guitar people fall for is insane and boomers are the biggest marks of all.

I have seen arguments about using near dead batteries in your pedals because it definitely changes the sound.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Bonzo posted:

I have seen arguments about using near dead batteries in your pedals because it definitely changes the sound.

I'm a huge fan of taking acoustic principles of acoustic guitars and applying them indiscriminately to electric guitars, myself. That's why I only want the most exotic, endangered tone wood for my guitars.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

CPL593H posted:

i have 2018 Gibson Les Paul "Tribute" that is an excellent instrument. tone is in the fingers.

god damnit this fuckin boomer left like 3 angry voicemails on my work phone when i was taking a dump. and then an email "I DONT WANT TO PAY THROUGH YOUR ONLINE INVOICE PLEASE SEND ME A PAPER BILL WHY ARE YOU TREATING ME THIS WAY!!"

....as if the amount on the paper bill will be different?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

20 Blunts posted:

i have 2018 Gibson Les Paul "Tribute" that is an excellent instrument. tone is in the fingers.

god damnit this fuckin boomer left like 3 angry voicemails on my work phone when i was taking a dump. and then an email "I DONT WANT TO PAY THROUGH YOUR ONLINE INVOICE PLEASE SEND ME A PAPER BILL WHY ARE YOU TREATING ME THIS WAY!!"

....as if the amount on the paper bill will be different?

It's for his ~*~*~records~*~*~

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
i will absolutely side with the online boomer because none of you motherfuckers can secure your poo poo worth one half a goddamn. my doctor asked me to use an online portal for my Deeply Embarassing Medical Files (got a bad case of hosed Bunghole) and i threw him out the god drat window. got my hand behind his head in an armlock and spun him over my leg like defenestration: the ballet

if your security yields to a solid kick i cannot abide it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

shame on an IGA posted:

Re: animalchat there's a video of a spotlessly clean super-efficient crab processing factory on youtube that's one of the most disturbing things I've ever seen, perhaps even more so because they're completely unsympathetic sea roaches.

Yeah that poo poo is disturbing, literally one of the worst things I've seen.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

CPL593H posted:

i mostly agree with all this but to my ears (which suck rear end) gibsons acoustics are still a cut above the rest for the most part. especially some of their low end models sound better than other acoustics at the same pricepoint like a j45 studio goes for 1500$.

the gibson i was complaining about quality problems with was a les paul fwiw.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

thathonkey posted:

my ears (which suck rear end)

I came up when no one wore hearing protection on stage so when I see all the old guys I used to play with (who have stood in from of a 4x12 100watt Marshall turned up to 10 for 25-30 years) talk about what they can and can't hear it funny to me.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

mind the walrus posted:

Things Boomers Like: An alarming number of dead pets.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Thank you thread for introducing me to crab processing video

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Beachcomber posted:

When I started to volunteer at the Humane Society I didn't understand that either but after a year there I understood. People treat animals like poo poo and its truly hard to understand just how beyond the pale some people's actions are. Human brains literally have a hard time processing it. I had to stop volunteering there because I have too much empathy and depression.

I do miss the cats though...

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

limp_cheese posted:

it might be different where you are but some places will let you hang out with the animals just to socialize them if you ask in advance.

you know, when there's not a plague going on.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

limp_cheese posted:

When I started to volunteer at the Humane Society I didn't understand that either but after a year there I understood. People treat animals like poo poo and its truly hard to understand just how beyond the pale some people's actions are. Human brains literally have a hard time processing it. I had to stop volunteering there because I have too much empathy and depression.

My wife really wanted to be a veterinarian until she volunteered at one and saw how many people would bring in a perfectly healthy pet to be put down for reasons like, "We are moving to the west coast and he doesn't like the car so we can't take him", or "yeah we've had him for 10 years but he got mud on the new couch so my mother in law says he has to go".

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
People love to make fun of weirdos that treat their pets like kids but it's way better than the opposite.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
ok furmom

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

This isn't the place to try out your kinks.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
people who take their dogs around in baby carriages are so amazingly inhuman. it's some real clockwork orange poo poo. that said, it's still better than the more conventional ways people very commonly abuse pets.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

my great grandfather was greatest gen, but he treated his dogs like poo poo

we'd go over there and I swear they'd be 10% ticks by weight

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Cold on a Cob posted:

People love to make fun of weirdos that treat their pets like kids but it's way better than the opposite.

These are boomers we're talking about; "treat their pets like their kids" could easily mean "stuffed in a small crate 90% of the time and whipped with an extension cord when they make noise".

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Bonzo posted:

IIRC this is technically a real thing because some very specific fuzz circuits will sound different if you have a lower voltage, which dying batteries are one source of.

Please note that you can also just mod the circuit a little to have a switch that lets you switch to a lower voltage mode and then you can power it with a standard DC power supply and not have to gently caress with batteries.

TONEWOOD and paying $12k for matched new old stock Telefunken 12ax7s or whatever is 100% ~~tone~~ bullshit though and the greatest refutation I have seen came from all of the people surprised that EVH could get the Brown Sound out of literally anything he picked up

e: Boomers especially love paying 6 figures for amps made by a specific weirdo who followed guitarists on their tours and basically just made custom amps

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Nov 10, 2020

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Panfilo posted:

These are boomers we're talking about; "treat their pets like their kids" could easily mean "stuffed in a small crate 90% of the time and whipped with an extension cord when they make noise".

poo poo, that's true.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Work related: boomers love calling the wrong loving department *checks notes* nine times today so far

e: He's trying to call from different numbers now, I'm in boomer hell

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I'm tech support!! I don't schedule people to come install your poo poo!!!

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
Boomers cannot get past the fact that Windows and Office are two different products and love lumping them into, "Does it have the Microsoft?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Shugojin posted:

I'm tech support!! I don't schedule people to come install your poo poo!!!

CANT YOU JUST TRANSFER ME and/or WELL WHATS THE RIGHT NUMBER