Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

By popular demand posted:

No one ever accused sub-fanfic level hack authors of being lazy, not at vomiting words to page.

Hey, there were some good authors in that, but you can only do so much when the mere premise is trash garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I was reading it's synopsis and just going "oh no" throughout.

Did anyone take it seriously? Anyone at all?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
GW does, unfortunately:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/03/15/sunday-preview-beasts-vs-other-beasts/

Well known nickname for Thraka, the Beast*.

*Technically he was known as The Beast of Armageddon before that, but 1) nobody really calls him that 2) shut up

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

JcDent posted:

GW does, unfortunately:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/03/15/sunday-preview-beasts-vs-other-beasts/

Well known nickname for Thraka, the Beast*.

*Technically he was known as The Beast of Armageddon before that, but 1) nobody really calls him that 2) shut up

I sincerely hope that they don't keep trying to push this, because if even I can see it's stupid and undermines a fairly cool part of the lore in an attempt to make things more "Grim" then it should be obvious, right?

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I wonder if this is GW trying to get around the awkward Margaret Thatcher joke they're stuck with in Ghazgull's full name. It's an old 80s joke stuck right there in canon, mocking the hyper-serious plot material all around it.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Loxbourne posted:

I wonder if this is GW trying to get around the awkward Margaret Thatcher joke they're stuck with in Ghazgull's full name. It's an old 80s joke stuck right there in canon, mocking the hyper-serious plot material all around it.

As someone who's worked with GW's IPs professionally (40K specifically) I can assure you that the current pack of GW employees do not get the joke and, despite being Brits, probably don't even understand the reference. I once had a GW bigwig editor tell me, with a straight face, that all 1,000,000 (or however many there are) space marines talk and act the same way in canon. Nobody over there understands the joke in WH/40K.

Orks are the best because they're the only ones having any fun. That Eldar was right, they live in paradise.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Andy Chambers swears the Thatcher/Thraka thing isn't true.

According him the name comes from a LARP that he was part of back in the day where they'd made up some Ork language based on Tolkeins 'Black Speech'. In that language his name meant 'Metal head big ork leader' and the similar sounding name to Thatcher is pure coincidence.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

As someone who's worked with GW's IPs professionally (40K specifically) I can assure you that the current pack of GW employees do not get the joke and, despite being Brits, probably don't even understand the reference. I once had a GW bigwig editor tell me, with a straight face, that all 1,000,000 (or however many there are) space marines talk and act the same way in canon. Nobody over there understands the joke in WH/40K.

Orks are the best because they're the only ones having any fun. That Eldar was right, they live in paradise.

There's an entire bit in Deathwatch about how no Space Marine uses contractions, slang, etc.

When I was playing Sgt. Martinez I admit he did so constantly mostly out of spite for how dumb that kind of generalization is.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Is GW the biggest company trying to restrict Badwrongfun?
It's so stupid to consider that at this generation of gaming the hobby still carries that around.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Night10194 posted:

There's an entire bit in Deathwatch about how no Space Marine uses contractions, slang, etc.

When I was playing Sgt. Martinez I admit he did so constantly mostly out of spite for how dumb that kind of generalization is.

Yeah, I know. It's horseshit. Apparently every space marine talks like an Ultramarine. I can't imagine, like, a Space Wolf or an Imperial Fist talking like a goddamned Ultramarine. I wrote this whole thing in a Deathwatch adventure once where, if the PCs lingered on a ship's bridge too long dithering about what to do, the Brother Captain would threaten them with something like, "Brothers, do you not have enough to do? If not, I'm sure my bosun can find you work cleaning the heads. If that doesn't suit you, or if you do have work to do, get the hell off my quarterdeck". GW told me a space marine would never say that. Writing for Deathwatch was infuriating, more so than the other lines. That said, I did sneak Walter from The Big Lebowski into that book as an Imperial Fists venerable dreadnaught named Brother Szobchak. Once the players get him active again (they find him in stasis) he insists on tagging along with them, making their lives more complicated, and bitching about how modern space marines aren't a patch on his battle brothers who died face down in the mud of a thousand worlds... I still don't know how I got that one past GW.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Considering the Regimental Standard I feel there are writers who get the joke about 40k nowadays and the Kirby era of GW should just be a dark period best left forgotten.
I almost need to take a closer look at how W&G writes about Marines just to see if they present them differently.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Yeah, I know. It's horseshit. Apparently every space marine talks like an Ultramarine. I can't imagine, like, a Space Wolf or an Imperial Fist talking like a goddamned Ultramarine. I wrote this whole thing in a Deathwatch adventure once where, if the PCs lingered on a ship's bridge too long dithering about what to do, the Brother Captain would threaten them with something like, "Brothers, do you not have enough to do? If not, I'm sure my bosun can find you work cleaning the heads. If that doesn't suit you, or if you do have work to do, get the hell off my quarterdeck". GW told me a space marine would never say that. Writing for Deathwatch was infuriating, more so than the other lines. That said, I did sneak Walter from The Big Lebowski into that book as an Imperial Fists venerable dreadnaught named Brother Szobchak. Once the players get him active again (they find him in stasis) he insists on tagging along with them, making their lives more complicated, and bitching about how modern space marines aren't a patch on his battle brothers who died face down in the mud of a thousand worlds... I still don't know how I got that one past GW.

My god, you wrote the Dreadnought whose 'ancient wisdom' always amounts to 'I'm bored as poo poo, this mission COULD REALLY USE A DREADNOUGHT'? Thank you. He was one of the best NPCs in the books.

E: In general I think Deathwatch actually had pretty good writing, even if you could tell the writers were having to work around the GW of the time. It had one of the stronger themes of the 40kRP lines (even if I'm not 100% sure it was intentional?) with the Marines having to confront that the Imperium was losing this war because it was acting like the Imperium and that the Lord Commander was a loving idiot who believed every propaganda line about willpower and victorious spirit, flailing around as they slowly lost while the propaganda-poisoned Marines had to overcome it if they were going to make any progress. Despite existing as Imperial showponies and constantly being tempted to slip back into the warm delusion of manufactured heroism.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Nov 10, 2020

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Night10194 posted:

My god, you wrote the Dreadnought whose 'ancient wisdom' always amounts to 'I'm bored as poo poo, this mission COULD REALLY USE A DREADNOUGHT'? Thank you. He was one of the best NPCs in the books.

E: In general I think Deathwatch actually had pretty good writing, even if you could tell the writers were having to work around the GW of the time. It had one of the stronger themes of the 40kRP lines (even if I'm not 100% sure it was intentional?) with the Marines having to confront that the Imperium was losing this war because it was acting like the Imperium and that the Lord Commander was a loving idiot who believed every propaganda line about willpower and victorious spirit, flailing around as they slowly lost while the propaganda-poisoned Marines had to overcome it if they were going to make any progress. Despite existing as Imperial showponies and constantly being tempted to slip back into the warm delusion of manufactured heroism.

Hahahahahaha, I did! I loved writing Brother Szobchak because he was funny and because Deathwatch was a little too grimdark for me. I'm flattered that you like him so much!

I worked on every 40KRPG line, but Rogue Trader and Only War were my babies. I developed the character classes for OW. My instructions were, "Watch a lot of WWII Movies and get to writing". FFG initially hired me for Rogue Trader because I'd been at Palladium and brought Robotech back to market in the late aughts and because I was (and still am) a huge fuckin' Patrick O'Brien/Master and Commander nerd who is obsessed with the age of sail. Fuckin' Black Crusade was my least favorite even though I love noise marines and there's a lot of deep story to draw from there. I wasn't allowed any creative freedom to come up with new demons or anything else. I did name all the ships in a Chaos battlegroup after Pixies songs, though (the flagship was Debaser) so I had some fun at least. At the end, though, I was super burned out on 40K. I never liked it and was only doing it for the paycheck. Getting transferred to Star Wars was the best thing that happened to me.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I really have to wonder why they wouldn't do anything with new demons in the RPG. In the wargame it's because they'd need models so the infinite forces of darkness are represented by Purple Person, Red Guy With Horns, Fat Green Guy, and Bird since they can make those out of plastic more easily, but in an RPG you can just describe whatevs.

E: Also, I as a GM and a reader burned the gently caress out on 40k eventually (and turned on it fully thanks to 2016), and I can definitely see how having to deal with it over and over (and I didn't even have GW sitting over my shoulder, because I was just writing dumb games for friends) would be pretty drat grating.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I know functionally nothing about Warhammer 40K except grimdark grimdark grimdark derp and the super basic outline of various factions from reviews in this thread and osmosis. What exactly is War of the Beast and why is it yet another perfect exemplar of GW doing a GW?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Omnicrom posted:

I know functionally nothing about Warhammer 40K except grimdark grimdark grimdark derp and the super basic outline of various factions from reviews in this thread and osmosis. What exactly is War of the Beast and why is it yet another perfect exemplar of GW doing a GW?

Orks are fun comic relief football hooligans. It turns them into murderous, 'efficient' fascists who have massive slave mines and farm humans for meat and generally sucks any hint of fun out of them to try to make them 'scary' and able to be 'taken seriously'.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Night10194 posted:

Orks are fun comic relief football hooligans. It turns them into murderous, 'efficient' fascists who have massive slave mines and farm humans for meat and generally sucks any hint of fun out of them to try to make them 'scary' and able to be 'taken seriously'.

Also, long, lovingly detailed descriptions of endless factory halls full of human women who have had their arms and legs chopped off, eyes and tongues removed, and they're all pregnant.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Night10194 posted:

I really have to wonder why they wouldn't do anything with new demons in the RPG. In the wargame it's because they'd need models so the infinite forces of darkness are represented by Purple Person, Red Guy With Horns, Fat Green Guy, and Bird since they can make those out of plastic more easily, but in an RPG you can just describe whatevs.

E: Also, I as a GM and a reader burned the gently caress out on 40k eventually (and turned on it fully thanks to 2016), and I can definitely see how having to deal with it over and over (and I didn't even have GW sitting over my shoulder, because I was just writing dumb games for friends) would be pretty drat grating.

Literally space barbies. I was only allowed to stat out demons which had models/minis, and nothing else. Didn't matter that it was an RPG. Working on GW products was extremely stifling because by the time I got into it in the late-aughts, the first couple generations of Warhams had come and gone and no one understood the joke anymore. Everything was to be deadly serious, and both 40K fans and GW itself was high on their own supply. The satirical underpinning of 40K was completely forgotten by that point, and any reference to it was ignored, hastily covered up, or shouted down. It was exhausting. Like, I had a tendency to name Orks poo poo like Grabthroat Shinkicker and Bawbag Gitstomper, and names like that always got changed in final editing at GW for not being "40K enough".

Edit: Oh, and say what you will about Harmony Gold and Lucasfilm/Disney, but when I was working on those IPs I was never flat-out told "no". It was either a collaborative experience of editing or having things cut for space reasons and used in another book. The only issues I ever had when working on Star Wars was when I worked on Force and Destiny because gently caress Jedi.

CroatianAlzheimers fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Nov 10, 2020

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Cythereal posted:

Also, long, lovingly detailed descriptions of endless factory halls full of human women who have had their arms and legs chopped off, eyes and tongues removed, and they're all pregnant.

A clever warboss who can consistently recruit large fleets and aim them at Terra is plenty scary on his own, orks can easily crush smartly led and well disciplined enemies with sheer numbers and manic enthusiasm.

which serves to make this edgy excrement even worse for being unnecessary and tryhard in addition to revolting.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

The only issues I ever had when working on Star Wars was when I worked on Force and Destiny because gently caress Jedi.

I'm part of a freeform/guided roleplay game that's a mashup of Star Wars and Stargate. It's been running off and on for something like twenty years now. One of the main rules in it is No Jedi. No Force powers. Not Even a Little Bit.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

By popular demand posted:

A clever warboss who can consistently recruit large fleets and aim them at Terra is plenty scary on his own, orks can easily crush smartly led and well disciplined enemies with sheer numbers and manic enthusiasm.

which serves to make this edgy excrement even worse for being unnecessary and tryhard in addition to revolting.

The Warboss in Only War who is getting bored with winning too easily and beginning to go full 'Conan with the crown upon his troubled brow' as he contemplates who knows what (and who keeps enemy champions as captives for sport, and I like to imagine forced them to live together like a sitcom) is already super good while still being a funny but significant enemy, damnit! They don't need weird tryhard 'horror'.

Though Orks in general are much more necessary in 40k (because someone has to remember to have fun) than Orcs in Fantasy (who are fine, but not as critical).

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Everyone posted:

I'm part of a freeform/guided roleplay game that's a mashup of Star Wars and Stargate. It's been running off and on for something like twenty years now. One of the main rules in it is No Jedi. No Force powers. Not Even a Little Bit.

A gamer after my own heart. Whenever I run SW games it's always fringy space trucker stuff or the campaign I ran wherein the PCs were a touring band that got duped into smuggling contraband for the Rebellion by some former Alliance intelligence officers. I never run games with Jedi/Force stuff.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Night10194 posted:

The Warboss in Only War who is getting bored with winning too easily and beginning to go full 'Conan with the crown upon his troubled brow' as he contemplates who knows what (and who keeps enemy champions as captives for sport, and I like to imagine forced them to live together like a sitcom) is already super good while still being a funny but significant enemy, damnit! They don't need weird tryhard 'horror'.

Though Orks in general are much more necessary in 40k (because someone has to remember to have fun) than Orcs in Fantasy (who are fine, but not as critical).

That freeboota who captures and enslaves human ships is great too on a smaller scale.
he doesn't quite get human psychology so in true ork fashion sneaks up behind people randomly and punches their lights out, which seems to work.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Welp, the Ork Death Stars were dumb but that little detail didn’t make it into the summary I saw.:allbuttons: gently caress GW forever.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The SWRPG campaign I'm playing in right now is about a band of descendants of the heroes from the previous campaign heading into unknown space to rescue a friend of their parents.
It's not very serious, we have an absolute rust bucket of a ship and a droid with a penchant of singing dirty sea shanties.
Our first adventure involved saving a bunch of crabs.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Cooked Auto posted:

The SWRPG campaign I'm playing in right now is about a band of descendants of the heroes from the previous campaign heading into unknown space to rescue a friend of their parents.
It's not very serious, we have an absolute rust bucket of a ship and a droid with a penchant of singing dirty sea shanties.

Can... can I join?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

A gamer after my own heart. Whenever I run SW games it's always fringy space trucker stuff or the campaign I ran wherein the PCs were a touring band that got duped into smuggling contraband for the Rebellion by some former Alliance intelligence officers. I never run games with Jedi/Force stuff.

Our game is larger scale than that. If you want a close look, just make a character. We used to allow Earth characters to come in but at this point the newbies are all New Republic. Also, our game takes place in the Expanded Universe/Legends timeline.

While we currently have an "official" adventure going, it's currently very slow and the site is overall more of an online social club than anything else. But they're a fun bunch and fairly friendly so it's a pretty cool place overall.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Can... can I join?

Sadly the answer to that is no.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Cooked Auto posted:

What up my fellow badwrongfunner :awesomelon:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I heard this to the tune of the Homestar Runner song.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Can... can I join?

You can still join our bunch. Lurking is fine and honestly a little encouraged at first in terms of posting in the adventures.

We had one person who joined a few years back trying to be Luke Skywalker's abandoned daughter, but she quit after the "No Force Powers At All Even A Little Bit" was made clear to her. And also because she hadn't grasped that people joining are active New Republic military and not people who somehow stowed away on the wrong cargo ship or something.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
Yep, double-posting.

While it's not my "cuppa" some of you might be interested in backing Evil Hat's

Thirsty Sword Lesbians which has 49 hours to go.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Everyone posted:

Yep, double-posting.

I'm gonna throw some cash their way even though I don't want the game. The title rules and the art's great. I'm not the biggest Evil Hat fan, but whatever. The developer seems to have their heart in the right place.

Everyone posted:

You can still join our bunch. Lurking is fine and honestly a little encouraged at first in terms of posting in the adventures.

We had one person who joined a few years back trying to be Luke Skywalker's abandoned daughter, but she quit after the "No Force Powers At All Even A Little Bit" was made clear to her. And also because she hadn't grasped that people joining are active New Republic military and not people who somehow stowed away on the wrong cargo ship or something.

Hell, I might. You guys need a combat engineer?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Games about emotions are not a thing for an aging misanthrope such as I but-

quote:

This game is not for fascists, TERFs, or other bigots. The team behind Thirsty Sword Lesbians supports racial liberation, intersectional feminism, and queer liberation. We love and respect transgender people, nonbinary people, intersex people, and women. This game is a joyous celebration of lives and identities otherwise marginalized. If you don’t agree, fix your heart before sharing a table with other people.

I'll toss them a few bucks because I love them. :sparkles:

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Cythereal posted:

Also, long, lovingly detailed descriptions of
This "warboss" is not orky at all.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Yup, everything I see about that miscarriage of literature screams that the author doesn't get Orks, W40K or just basic writing.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

This "warboss" is not orky at all.

It's part of the 'Orks farming humans for food' bit. The author not only thought that was a great idea, he thought the protagonists should visit the livestock breeding area.

The setting's utter hatred of women is one of the big reasons I'm no longer a fan (and don't you loving dare say the Sisters of Battle are somehow a pro-feminist thing). Even otherwise well written books like The First Heretic felt an inexplicible need to make the one female character of the book begin the story as a teenage prostitute who gets gang-raped.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Nov 10, 2020

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Cythereal posted:

It's part of the 'Orks farming humans for food' bit. The author not only thought that was a great idea, he thought the protagonists should visit the livestock breeding area.

The setting's utter hatred of women is one of the big reasons I'm no longer a fan (and don't you loving dare say the Sisters of Battle are somehow a pro-feminist thing).
let me tell you about the EVEN MORE FEMINIST super sisters of battle, the sisters of silence, who don't even speak at all!

(sorry)

i don't even get why orks would farm humans?? for food??? ughhh

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Everyone posted:

Yep, double-posting.

LGS option, nice. Thanks for the heads-up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

90s Cringe Rock posted:

i don't even get why orks would farm humans?? for food??? ughhh

Doesn't make logistical sense and orks get bored with pointless cruelty rather fast, orks is made for fighting!
And yeah GW isn't great at feminism. At all.