Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
One term-two Trump position I did like was to order H1-B visa priority by highest to lowest salary.

Biden couldn't be more neoliberal tho so instead we get to go back to HR posting job listings with impossible requirements, nobody applies, and then shrugging their shoulders as they declare in writing they couldn't find a suitable American candidate so instead we're hiring this other person who doesn't fit the impossible requirements either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

As with a lot of things, there's two sides to the coin. There's value in handling the visa process such that it protects US citizen's jobs and we don't have under market labor undercutting things. However, do not forget that the visa process itself is a path to citizenship for many people which this change can absolutely derail (to the point where you have to wonder if that wasn't the primary purpose, especially knowing the administration.)

You've been working on a H1B visa for 5 years. You have to change jobs for whatever number of reasons why people have to change jobs. Now though, the cost to hire you just went up 30% overnight for the same type of position and you have 60 days to figure out a way to not erase 5 years of your progress towards US citizenship that you were planning on applying for the next year.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
That's a fair assessment, my take would be to keep H1-B to highest-paid specialized workers, maybe with some clause after X time working in the US you can opt to transfer to a different visa, and increase the number of regular lottery visas so most of the rank-and-file (least privileged positions) aren't in a position where employers know they can make you do basically anything they want because at-will employment grants them the power to effectively deport you.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

that sounds really complex, when you could instead abolish borders

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

There was a point where I was working on getting a visa for the US but that problem was solved by first San Francisco and then the US as a whole sliding into a lake of poo poo. Suddenly my home country wasn't so bad.

Assorted Gubbins
Oct 28, 2017

Jaded Burnout posted:

There was a point where I was working on getting a visa for the US but that problem was solved by first San Francisco and then the US as a whole sliding into a lake of poo poo. Suddenly my home country wasn't so bad.

Don't you live in the UK? How's it looking for getting freight into your country in a timely manner after December 31?

edit: apparently the software will be ready by December, everything will be fine!
https://www.theregister.com/2020/11/06/uk_border_software/

Testing? NO NEED I'M SURE IT'LL BE FINE.

EVERYTHING'S FINE.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

lol nobody has a clue, it's good though

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Assorted Gubbins posted:

Don't you live in the UK? How's it looking for getting freight into your country in a timely manner after December 31?

I never said my home country was looking *good*.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

that sounds really complex, when you could instead abolish borders

:hmmyes:

srsly tho, free trade is bullshit without freedom of movement. either lockdown the movement of people and goods or let them both move with the same degree of freedom.

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
:kingsley: : Why you change thing.
:) : Thing has been changed for these reasons.
:kingsley: : I don't like change of thing.
:) : Thing has also been discussed and agreed with your and other managers.
:kingsley: : I'll have you know I'll be checking this tomorrow with my manager.
:) : :nyd:

I told him I's save him the trouble, forwarded him the relevant email and told him I don't appreciate being called a liar. :yotj: can't come quick enough!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

This week will be fun. They sent a ton of people home with their computers, without going through IT.

So basically what everyone else was doing back in March.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

This week will be fun. They sent a ton of people home with their computers, without going through IT.

So basically what everyone else was doing back in March.

Corporate is switching our hardware standard from HP to Dell starting on wednesday. The whole ordering/imaging/naming process is changing as well. Except no one at the local level, IE: the people who actually use that process on a daily basis have no idea how it's going to work.

I'm about to place an order for 300 new desktops for our new tower and I may or may not have to enter the names of each device to be able to order them and they may or may not come pre-imaged, no one loving knows. That, that is not going to work.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

mattfl posted:

Corporate is switching our hardware standard from HP to Dell starting on wednesday. The whole ordering/imaging/naming process is changing as well. Except no one at the local level, IE: the people who actually use that process on a daily basis have no idea how it's going to work.

I'm about to place an order for 300 new desktops for our new tower and I may or may not have to enter the names of each device to be able to order them and they may or may not come pre-imaged, no one loving knows. That, that is not going to work.

INSTALL GENTOO

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

INSTALL GENTOO

We're transitioning to Epic next year as well and need to upgrade a lot of devices.

I have 140 brand new HP pc's in my backroom so I just said to my boss. Hey, instead of spending 100k on new Dell devices can't we just put out these brand new HP devices that are identical to what the Dells will be?

No, we must order the Dells for "reasons".

I'll remember that I tried to save our hospital 100k and you said nah we good when it comes raise time next year!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

mattfl posted:

We're transitioning to Epic next year as well and need to upgrade a lot of devices.

I have 140 brand new HP pc's in my backroom so I just said to my boss. Hey, instead of spending 100k on new Dell devices can't we just put out these brand new HP devices that are identical to what the Dells will be?

No, we must order the Dells for "reasons".

I'll remember that I tried to save our hospital 100k and you said nah we good when it comes raise time next year!

Why do you have so many new PC's just sitting

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

PLEASE DO NOT FINGER-gently caress THE CABLES IN THE DATACOM ROOM

"We didn't knock the internet out, we touched some cables but didn't unplug anything."

:rolleyes:

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

At the end of last year we were asked to put in a 2020 equipment order. So I got to spend like 500k and order everything I thought I'd need for the year for various projects and lifecycle replacement. Then COVID hit and put all those projects on hold. Then we found out we're moving to Epic next year and being told that this is a different lifecycle replacement plan and must be done with Dell equipment even though the HP equipment is identical.

Funny how our move to Epic and move to Dell are happening at the exact same time and apparently Dell is in bed with Epic or the other way around....

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Glad we don't have enough money to do EPIC

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

I heard what the cost was and was like, woah. I don't feel bad for milking these overtime hours anymore lol

This isn't just one hospital making the transition either, this is enterprise wide across 50+ hospitals in multiple states across the country. Cerner more or less hates us right now lol

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Bob Morales posted:

If they were us, it would be because someone ordered our Elitedesk G3 towers with a 1TB, 2.5", 5400 RPM disk and 8GB of RAM. Okay for a lot of purposes, but absolutely miserable in the labs.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

We've officially sent out enough KnowBe4 campaigns that people are complaining about how much spam they are getting.

I can't recall the last time someone submitter a phishing email that WASN'T a KnowBe4 email to IT

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Bob Morales posted:

excuse me it's not an acronym it is a word, "Epic", like the story of your organization

(used to work there, one of the many many things the CEO is incredibly nitpicky about is that)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

DACK FAYDEN posted:

excuse me it's not an acronym it is a word, "Epic", like the story of your organization

(used to work there, one of the many many things the CEO is incredibly nitpicky about is that)

An "epic" is a glorious recounting of a nation's events. Like the Iliad or the Odyssey, our electronic health records chronicle the story of a patient's healthcare over time.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Drive me nuts when my boss knows I have a call or ticket open with a vendor, and he says "Hey see if they will fix xxxx while you're talking to them so we don't have to open another ticket"

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Today I learned we're moving our entire company to laptops. We just replaced all desktops a year ago. :sigh:

My boss doesn't believe in sysprep or making images for all the traction I've gotten with it.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I just learned more in 30 minutes from my CDW rep about wtf is going on with our HP -> Dell and Cerner -> Epic transition than I've learned from asking the same questions to my bosses the past 3 months.

In turn my bosses have learned more about our HP -> Dell and Cerner -> Epic transition in a 30 minute call from me than they previously knew lol!

Communication from the corporate side to the hospital side is absolutely non-existent in this company.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Irritated Goat posted:

Today I learned we're moving our entire company to laptops. We just replaced all desktops a year ago. :sigh:

My boss doesn't believe in sysprep or making images for all the traction I've gotten with it.

Can you do autopilot instead? It's a lot easier than imaging.

Although I am cringing when I think about asking what you currently do instead.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

mattfl posted:

I just learned more in 30 minutes from my CDW rep about wtf is going on with our HP -> Dell and Cerner -> Epic transition than I've learned from asking the same questions to my bosses the past 3 months.

In turn my bosses have learned more about our HP -> Dell and Cerner -> Epic transition in a 30 minute call from me than they previously knew lol!

Communication from the corporate side to the hospital side is absolutely non-existent in this company.

I'm curious to hear the reasoning why Dell was needed cause I know of two large healthcare systems that recently went to EPIC from Cerner that are both using HP 800s.
Unless the reason is pricing.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Cyks posted:

I'm curious to hear the reasoning why Dell was needed cause I know of two large healthcare systems that recently went to EPIC from Cerner that are both using HP 800s.
Unless the reason is pricing.

Dell is cheaper than the HP, but not by a whole lot.

There has to be some other back room deal that went on for this change. We've been an HP shop for almost 10 years. The last time we were a Dell shop was when they had those old Optiplex's where the capacitors on the motherboard would blow and you had to replace the motherboard. Dell would ship up like a pallet of the motherboards for us to replace.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Internet Explorer posted:

Can you do autopilot instead? It's a lot easier than imaging.

Manual! When we did deployments last year, we used a single Clonezilla image :D :cry:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

"Internet Explorer" posted:

Probably what they did at my old job. Your first day is watching some helpdesk lackey with a paper checklist setup all your poo poo.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Our version of SASVA is flash based and our transition to Viya is happening in June.

We asked our SAS guys what the plan was for the interim period after flash gets turned off in January.

"Plan?" :confused:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Tell me the thing you're migrating to uses Silverlight

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I'm convinced most infosec tools are created by people who enjoy busywork. Like the kind of people who would tattle on you to a teacher love this kind of job.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Bob Morales posted:

Probably what they did at my old job. Your first day is watching some helpdesk lackey with a paper checklist setup all your poo poo.

We do the checklist and such too. It's so sad. I've recommended and tried to get MDT running. I recommended PDQ Deploy. Just silence.

Oh, we also run such an old version of VNC that if the resolution is high enough or the scale changes, the mouse gets offset and actually working on the PC is a bastard. We knew about this over a year ago and :shrug:

I want out of here so bad but I can't bring myself to do another service desk job, despite 10+ years of it and honestly, I'm overqualified for it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

User pushing me to mount an NFS share from a site over 500 miles away so they can write a backup of their database to it.

Yeah, not happening dude. There's better ways to do that.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

We have an old phone system. Mitel 3300. It's fine I guess. But there are like 6 web interfaces depending on what you want to do. System admin, voicemail, conferencing, etc

One of these web interfaces doesn't time you out. The other ones all have a timeout setting where you can pick the amount of time that elapses before you're signed out.

Support has already told met here's not a way to change that setting. After informing my manager, I'm supposed to escalate the issue higher until they fix it.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

mattfl posted:

Dell is cheaper than the HP, but not by a whole lot.

There has to be some other back room deal that went on for this change. We've been an HP shop for almost 10 years. The last time we were a Dell shop was when they had those old Optiplex's where the capacitors on the motherboard would blow and you had to replace the motherboard. Dell would ship up like a pallet of the motherboards for us to replace.

We're in the motherboard follies with HP right now. Again. One of the labs bought a Z8 workstation and loaded it with 288GB of RAM. They're PET scanning lab rats o they generate a LOT of image data. It died, just wouldn't turn on.We gave it to Hardware, they ordered a new board under warranty. This takes two months, we don't have spare Z8s so we have to eat the time. It comes back a couple of weeks ago and is running "slower". We check it out, half of the DIMM slots are dead. We give it back to Hardware. Yesterday I hear "hey mllaneza" walking past their area. Turns out they got the new board in only a few days. But the power connector got a little crushed. A logic board that fails a visual inspection goes right the gently caress back to HP.

The last time we had an even bigger issue. They ran out of logic boards for Elitebooks, G2s or 3s I think they were. For weeks. Customers are pissed, we have several laptops in the shop that aren't in condition to be swapped for spare systems. Finally, we get 5 boards in ! I get three of them. Of mine, two were still serialized and not working properly, one was just plain dead with visible liquid damage. We're pretty sure someone told the factory to just put as many of X part number in boxes no matter what the condition and ship them out just to somehow reset the clock. One of the five was good.

Then a week later I had my one on one and got yelled at for having three tickets over 20 days old.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
I am having fun. I can't be too specific, but I am supporting a customer that, as a subset of their business, provides ISDN trunks. Other business units of the company uses their ISDN service for incoming calls. There is an issue with calls dropping, so we are having a vendor meet to troubleshoot. We get to a certain point and their ISDN techs flat out said "Well, at this point if you were one of our customers we would be letting you go to figure it out, but since it is internal, let us see what we can do." What they have done so far is take some debugs and say "I don't see a problem" when we are getting a disconnect from their end in an environment with no recent changes that has worked for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bob Morales posted:

We have an old phone system. Mitel 3300. It's fine I guess. But there are like 6 web interfaces depending on what you want to do. System admin, voicemail, conferencing, etc

One of these web interfaces doesn't time you out. The other ones all have a timeout setting where you can pick the amount of time that elapses before you're signed out.

Support has already told met here's not a way to change that setting. After informing my manager, I'm supposed to escalate the issue higher until they fix it.

Do you spend millions a year with them? That strategy might work.

Otherwise, yeah...