Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Has anybody seen Marona’s Fantastic Tale? I just streamed it from a local theater and thought it was excellent. Absolutely loved how the art style reflected the world of a dog’s POV. Got some big cries out of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Hedrigall posted:

Not sure, it’s not in Aus either but maybe it’s available in a lot of south east Asia

I’m gonna mess around with VPN this weekend to try to find it, or otherwise see if I can get it by..... other means

I tried "other means" and it's not available on any of the places I usually use. Hope you have better luck than I did, this is a tough one to find.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The Saddest Rhino posted:

admittedly the art style is good and the animation is fluid but that furry movie looks, well, extremely horny
that's how I'd describe beastars too but beastars is still solid

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I’m watching All dogs go to heaven two

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Hedrigall posted:

I’m watching All dogs go to heaven two

Is it any good? I remember liking it, but I was a wee babe at the time and I basically liked anything with cartoon animals in it (this is still kind of true of adult me).

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
It’s ok so far, the songs are quite decent

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Some anti feline propaganda with the devil being a cat though 😾

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
The Harrowing of Dog Hell

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

I wonder if anyone remembers All dogs go to heaven the TV series.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
They made a spinoff TV series for everything in the 90s. I used to watch the Little Mermaid one. I most remember the song about the lobster mobsters. And the red tide.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
periodic reminder to watch Thundercats ROAR! because of how extremely good it is.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
An all dogs Christmas Carol is on my Christmas movie list this year because I live for this trash

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
So it turns out some dogs do go to hell :ohdear:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

I have been laughing about this for far too long.

Also I kind of think it should be the thread title.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I finally got to watch How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World a couple days ago. I have to say that DreamWorks makes loving gorgeous movies and I will absolutely see it again on a big screen if it comes up for second-run during these pandemic times (I've been literally in empty theatres for stuff like Tenet and New Mutants already). That said, as someone who watched the Netflix series I am kind of miffed that a large part of the plot revolved around "will they, won't they?" bullshit with Hiccup and Astrid, especially since most of the final season of Race to the Edge was resolving exactly that. It also seemed kind of insulting because in the second film they were acting very much like a couple so reseting and rebuilding all of that again for this film seemed like a really bad idea.

They could have still capped the series with the wedding but I feel that they could've made a better movie by just not having a hard reset on a relationship that had been established years ago

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

It's endemic to a lot of movies that they have to reset the relationship because writing a healthy pre-established relationship is soooooo hard.

Like say what you will about the Mummy Returns, I love that Rick and Evie are a happily married couple with a kid with zero hints of relationship troubles.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Hedrigall posted:

Like hitlers dog and the evil Lassie

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bootleg Trunks posted:

Like hitlers dog and the evil Lassie

If Lassie went to hell for killing that man by freezing him to death and pushing him off a mountain than God deserved the rebellion against them.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Can we work out the full taxonomy of the afterlife destinations of the animal kingdom

For instance, I have it on good authority that sheep go to heaven, goats go to hell

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

For instance, I have it on good authority that sheep go to heaven, goats go to hell

Go to hell?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Goats don't die, they just go home.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Hedrigall posted:

Can we work out the full taxonomy of the afterlife destinations of the animal kingdom

Cats go to the Cat place.

It's heaven for them, Hell for mice and other small critters.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
All dogs are to be visited by three ghosts in the night https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1xMKL_XxXQ

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

The Heaviside Layer.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

!!! this IS the Cat Place

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Ducks used to go to hell until Satan met Scrooge.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Scrooge invited Satan to dive into his money pool, he did that and promptly died from grevious head injuries and brain damage

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Scrooge invited Satan to dive into his money pool, he did that and promptly died from grevious head injuries and brain damage

That's actually a plot point in Scrooge's first comic adventure

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cK-ks-_GscM

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It took me far too long to cotton on to the visual pun on scrooge's vault. He can swim in his money because it's his liquid assets.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

I looked at Wikipedia on a hunch and it turns out that Toy Story turns 25 in three days., which seems like a momentous sort of occasion given how much of a game-changing film it was.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Animated movies handled the 3D leap far more gracefully than video games did.

Then again, Disney actually waited until the technology was mature to mandate that all their thatrical features must be CG.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I kinda want to see the alternate world where we got like 5 years of 90s movies that looked like Rapsittie Street Kids: Believe in Santa.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

My kid watched the Toy Story movies a bunch a for the past year or so and even though Toy Story one aged well, it is very sparse in the backgrounds. The models kind of move janky too. It’s still really impressive.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I think it helped that most of the well regarded early CG stuff built its premises around the concept. Toy Story makes relatively little use of humans, and them looking a little off does make some sense from the perspective of toys to which they are basically gods, and they used mostly nonhuman characters from then on until the technology was more refined. Similarly, Beast Wars doesn't have primary human characters at all, and Reboot's cast looking like contemporary video game characters make sense because that's what they more or less are. Even Zoids comes to mind as one early anime use of CG, exclusively for the titular giant animal mechs, which actually works really well. (Mind you, they clearly put a ton of work into it, I could go on about that)

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Counterpoint: it’s a real shame we didn’t get 80 minutes of this on the big screen:

https://youtu.be/BiExlLCI710

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Having rewatched them recently, Toy Story 1 is still quite good and the rest of them don't need to exist and I don't care for them.

Buzz Lightyear of Star Command animated TV show is fine and can stay

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Counterpoint: Toy Story 2 is a near-perfect example of how to do a sequel to a movie that didn't necessarily need a sequel. Expand on the concept in a logical way that doesn't undermine the original, but does introduce a little more complexity. Yes, the original is a more pure and self-contained story, but a sequel can't and shouldn't be that.

I will say none of them are quite as funny as I seem to have thought back in the day. They kind of got by on a general idea of "this ain't your grandma's Disney movie" and I guess also that very '90s style of "irreverence" directed at nobody in particular. But obviously there's a lot more to them than just comedy, so that's okay.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Counter-counterpoint: Toy Story 1 is best in the context of woody not being special and never being Andy's favorite again, as it underscores the power of one of my favorite scenes ever, when woody finally has to articulate that Buzz is a better toy and Andy's right to love him more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Each Toy Story film builds upon the existential horror of the ideas posited by the first Toy Story film