Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

So last night I saw a Newegg combo available that I could actually use (RAM), slammed the buy button, and got the predictable 'that item is not longer in stock' only to realize it was the RAM that was out of stock and not the 3080. Newegg deducted the cost of the RAM and actually allowed me to order it and it is in the 'packaging' stage at the moment so I think.... just maybe.... my watch is over?

Now for an actual card question, the card I snagged was a MSI Ventus 3X card. I plan to install it in an MSI Tomahawk X570 motherboard. Do I need to buy some sort of special GPU support to hold it up? Am I correct in that I don't need a special 12 pin power adaptor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
What’s this about an 3060 Ti with 12GB of VRAM now? Hope that’s not true, because I’d otherwise suggest their PMs to lay off the cocaine.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

drat Dirty Ape posted:

So last night I saw a Newegg combo available that I could actually use (RAM), slammed the buy button, and got the predictable 'that item is not longer in stock' only to realize it was the RAM that was out of stock and not the 3080. Newegg deducted the cost of the RAM and actually allowed me to order it and it is in the 'packaging' stage at the moment so I think.... just maybe.... my watch is over?

Now for an actual card question, the card I snagged was a MSI Ventus 3X card. I plan to install it in an MSI Tomahawk X570 motherboard. Do I need to buy some sort of special GPU support to hold it up? Am I correct in that I don't need a special 12 pin power adaptor?

The hugeness of the 3080s is massively overplayed. You won't need a support unless your case is mounted on a pogo stick, or you move it around a lot.

You won't need the 12 pin, the 3rd party cards all use 2x or 3x 8pins.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/kopite7kimi/status/1325820848393973760

apparently this is the source

On the one hand this person has been pretty on-the-mark with their leaks, OTOH I also find it hard to believe

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Haven't there been like 6 rumored future 30 series from "reliable sources" that were either rumored to be cancelled a week later or never actually existed?

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

While I don't doubt the info Kopite Kimi has, there's been a lot of "confirmed" info coming out about various SKUs which are not long later cancelled or nixed. I guess nvidia are throwing around a lot of ideas at the moment, and we'll need to wait to see what actually shakes out as a releasable product.

sean10mm posted:

Haven't there been like 6 rumored future 30 series from "reliable sources" that were either rumored to be cancelled a week later or never actually existed?

Yeah this.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

AirRaid posted:

The hugeness of the 3080s is massively overplayed. You won't need a support unless your case is mounted on a pogo stick, or you move it around a lot.

You won't need the 12 pin, the 3rd party cards all use 2x or 3x 8pins.

Excellent. Just need an impossible to purchase zen 3 and I am good to go. Thanks.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I honestly don't see the 3060 getting 12GB. It'll make no sense next to the 8GB and 10GB 3070/3080.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

at this point i'm wondering if nvidia is making up random SKUs and revealing them to different partners so they can narrow down who's leaking stuff

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Cross-Section posted:

:hehe:

fingers crossed that this actually fits in my NR200 build that I'm doing

I got the same exact bundle on Friday and it's in route to be delivered Thursday!
The PSU looks to be fairly new and no trusted opinions on it but I need one anyways so I'll go with it.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jeff Fatwood posted:

Loli/anime avatars assemble. Someone's discriminating against big anime titties and that will not stand.

also
lol someone begged Gamers Nexus to buy one and Steve replied "Not going anywhere near that. Disgusting."

PCG Review Jesus doesn't want to people sinning due to big anime titty GPU builds.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

had a weird crash saturday night. pc would turn on but no display. start freaking out about using a 650w psu with the 3080. Switch back to 980ti still no display. Oh must be the PSU but let's test a stick of ram and no gpu just in case. no display. go buy new 750w psu next morning. no display. "mobo must be dead grumble grumble" BUT let's test all the RAM individually. 1 bad stick.

test all failures thoroughly kids.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
whats most likely: radeon 600, rx 5800 or rx 6700?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Crunchy Black posted:

Watching Ian Cuttress have to defend his take that the big anime tiddy GPUs were sexist was very funny this afternoon

you can't just post this and not link it wtf man

e: lmfao
https://twitter.com/IanCutress/status/1325870001161695234

Truga fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Nov 10, 2020

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Zeta Acosta posted:

whats most likely: radeon 600, rx 5800 or rx 6700?

RX 6700, either of the others would confuse the hell out of people. Not that the others are impossible, but unified branding is something AMD will want to project if they have any control over it.

Hell, I wish a 12GB RX 6700 were available right now.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Truga posted:

you can't just post this and not link it wtf man

https://twitter.com/IanCutress/status/1325914636382769154

https://twitter.com/GamersNexus/status/1325982218460798977

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Where's the lie

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It was the only one I could find guys I swear.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Does Dr. Cuttress really have an Erdős-Bacon-Sabbath number of 13 because that is loving insane

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

redreader posted:

Yep I got one like that (motherboard combo) on Saturday and my shipping notification from the actual delivery company has been updated. I had to enter a code to log into newegg and had already linked it to paypal, where I also logged in. So it wasn't instant but I was done within about 30 seconds from when the link posted.

I also did my order through Paypal, but none of my poo poo was logged-in. Felt like it took forever, and I was pretty much convinced this would go like the Zen 3 launch last week where it'd spit me back out to an empty cart with no order after checkout.

But it all worked out somehow; I went back after the fact and noticed that the specific bundle I picked up never actually appeared on StockDrops (at least not on their Twitter, I stopped following their Discord). I wonder if that might have saved me in this instance.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

At 12.5”, it looks like the Gigabyte AORUS is 1” longer than most other 3080’s”. I’m gonna have to take a Dremel to my HDD cage, or figure out where else to put them. Jesus these things are big.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Dangerllama posted:

At 12.5”, it looks like the Gigabyte AORUS is 1” longer than most other 3080’s”. I’m gonna have to take a Dremel to my HDD cage, or figure out where else to put them. Jesus these things are big.

At this rate in a few years the GPUs will be big as a whole desktop setup...

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

etalian posted:

At this rate in a few years the GPUs will be big as a whole desktop setup...

quote:

GPU max length
330 mm with the top HDD cage installed, 480 mm with the top cage removed

eh, ill be fine

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Yeah as long as I put my GPU in the proper PCIE slot, and where else would you put it, I have the entire length of my case for ridiculous graphics card coolers.

One of the main things to look for in a case now is GPU clearance, IMO.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

sean10mm posted:

He's been the "reliable source" for a lot of those, yeah. I mean, for all we know he's getting legit information, but from way too early in the pipeline: it sounds more like the info is getting pulled from meeting notes where they discuss all possible variants they might consider producing, rather than further down the line where the decision to actually produce them has been made.

IIRC so far he's "confirmed" the 3080 20GB, several different 3080 Ti's, and a bunch of other stuff. He goes well with wccftech: report/confirm everything, and figure people will remember your hits but not so much your misses.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

To be fair the 3080 20GB and 3070 16GB were corroborated by multiple leaks direct from board partners, they definitely existed at some point

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

Thanks to that Discord Channel I was just able to order a Founders Edition 3080 from Best Buy, says it is arriving on Thursday, fingers crossed!

Kharohz
Jul 25, 2007

THE BELL TOLLS FOR THEE

Starkk posted:

Thanks to that Discord Channel I was just able to order a Founders Edition 3080 from Best Buy, says it is arriving on Thursday, fingers crossed!

Same, but for a 3070. Thanks!

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Starkk posted:

:same:

Cancelling my Amazon 3070 order later today but I'm glad I was able to snag this. Getting a 3070 felt like a compromise for some stupid reason and I'm glad I just bit the bullet on this.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Once again I was on top of the drop and Best Buy would not let me put it in my cart

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
I think I got a card from Best Buy, I've got the email from them and it says preparing for pick up (I freaked and clicked in store instead of shipping)

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Managed to order an EVGA 3080 from Best Buy this morning - the XC3 which I guess is not as good as the FTW3, but gently caress it, at this point I'll take anything. Credit to that god drat Discord. Now here's hoping the thing actually ships soon... :pray:

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Reporting back on waking up my PC with my friend's 3080 installed. Pretty sure I got the BSOD again because the PC rebooted. I didn't see it since the monitor didn't get a video signal fast enough.

I couldn't get any video signal for a few tries when I first installed his card. He said he struggled too.

Anyway, if I'm getting it with his card too and it's an nvlddmkm.sys error which is related to nvidia drivers, do I need to do a clean Windows install next? I'm wondering if it's the 1usmus power plan that Xaris recommended since I think that was the last thing I did before getting them.

I'm remembering that the first time I woke up with his card, I didn't have Geforce experience running and no BSOD.

Any chance this is a PSU issue? I just got a brand new Seasonic GX-750 before getting this card.

KingKapalone fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Nov 10, 2020

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Bold Robot posted:

Managed to order an EVGA 3080 from Best Buy this morning - the XC3 which I guess is not as good as the FTW3, but gently caress it, at this point I'll take anything. Credit to that god drat Discord. Now here's hoping the thing actually ships soon... :pray:

Same, I have an FTW3 Ultra in queue still for 9/19 that I may have give to a friend

Suburban Dad posted:

You're me. I didn't even get it to my local store, but one 25 min away. Whatever. I was rushing like crazy on my phone, then had to sign in, then 2 step verification on my account so I thought I'd be SOL but it went through. Hyped.

The pcbuildhelper discord is the one that alerted me before the others. I just joined it yesterday so I recommend it. https://discord.gg/DErCSrfU

Luckily the store I shipped to is the closest of the 3 in my city.

Thanks to StockDrops - https://discord.gg/GUpHHTRwg9

That link should have no expiration

jisforjosh fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Nov 10, 2020

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

jisforjosh posted:

I think I got a card from Best Buy, I've got the email from them and it says preparing for pick up (I freaked and clicked in store instead of shipping)

You're me. I didn't even get it to my local store, but one 25 min away. Whatever. I was rushing like crazy on my phone, then had to sign in, then 2 step verification on my account so I thought I'd be SOL but it went through. Hyped.

The pcbuildhelper discord is the one that alerted me before the others. I just joined it yesterday so I recommend it. https://discord.gg/DErCSrfU

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

FlamingLiberal posted:

Once again I was on top of the drop and Best Buy would not let me put it in my cart

Their mobile app is much more reliable for what it's worth (though as a Canadian I haven't got poo poo yet either)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Less Fat Luke posted:

Their mobile app is much more reliable for what it's worth (though as a Canadian I haven't got poo poo yet either)
Almost every time I get on these sites they end up crashing from traffic

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

In the off chance I can help a Goon who wants a 3070 and has had poo poo luck, before I cancel it, does anyone want this?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08KXZV626/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

EDIT: Hashed out a deal with Hasturtium.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Nov 10, 2020

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

FlamingLiberal posted:

Same, apparently there's "one more step" but it was not clear what that step is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

denereal visease posted:

Same, apparently there's "one more step" but it was not clear what that step is

It just makes you wait before letting you add to the cart.