Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Zarin posted:

I think that's something the thread has struggled with. Madison Seating has had mixed reviews in this thread, I think.

I've had an Aeron from Madison for like 17 years. But it's the only thing I ever got from them so not very helpful I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Zarin posted:

I think that's something the thread has struggled with. Madison Seating has had mixed reviews in this thread, I think.

Yeah I've seen reviews suggesting they reupholster chairs in their own fabric which makes me leery of dropping $400 with them.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I'm on a crusade here. I need to figure out a way to get my monitor attached to the back of a rocking recliner.

Something like, an aluminum hula-hoop bar that's bolted to the back of the recliner, so I duck under it and the monitor is right in front of me, and if I recline or rock the chair, the monitor is following along since it's fastened to the back.

I know there's a million of these "zero gravity" office chairs but most expect me to adjust the monitor every time I recline, or if they do wrap the monitor from around the back, they're these $6000 monstrosities (and still don't let you rock in them).

Seems like I could pull it off between what's available on Home Depot and Amazon, but if anyone has ideas on how to keep it simple, rigid and light I'm all ears.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Zero VGS posted:

I'm on a crusade here. I need to figure out a way to get my monitor attached to the back of a rocking recliner.

Something like, an aluminum hula-hoop bar that's bolted to the back of the recliner, so I duck under it and the monitor is right in front of me, and if I recline or rock the chair, the monitor is following along since it's fastened to the back.

I know there's a million of these "zero gravity" office chairs but most expect me to adjust the monitor every time I recline, or if they do wrap the monitor from around the back, they're these $6000 monstrosities (and still don't let you rock in them).

Seems like I could pull it off between what's available on Home Depot and Amazon, but if anyone has ideas on how to keep it simple, rigid and light I'm all ears.

I don't think recliners are designed to support weight from the top like that. If you have the recliner already you could take the upholstery off the back to look at the structure inside and see what you have to work with. But if you're trying to attach weight at an odd angle to a couple lovely pine boards you're going to have a bad time.

Another way to go could be to mount the monitors to the wall instead of the chair? Or a floor stand.

https://www.computerdesksdepot.com/products/dw630w-63-hospital-lcd-tv-monitor-arm-over-the-bed-arm-wall-mount

You could even try mounting something like that to the back of a recliner, but the wall would be safer.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I have a lot of love in my heart for this $6000 $3,300 monstrosity.

https://i.imgur.com/mBEKYan.mp4

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
There's lot of things beside the back of the chair I can use, like an overbed table or whatever, but I don't want to have to futz with stuff every time I adjust the recline, and focusing on a static monitor when rocking is gonna be really weird too.

The monitor is only around 18 pounds, so if I can get clever about a lightweight frame or hoop (aluminum piping?) then maybe it won't be too bad if I drill it in all along the pine frame. Since some of the weight is wrapping around to the front of me, it should be balanced.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Right off the bat that's leather and I despise leather furniture. I can only put up with cushy fabric upholstery. I mean, on top of all the other insanity going on there.

feedback loop
Feb 16, 2015
Hey guys, just bought a couple of used Steelcase Think V2s at a great price. The one that works properly has a nice bounce from the cylinder whenever I sit down and adjusts its height slightly while I'm sitting, depending on how I shift my weight. The other one, when I sit on it, feels sticky - rather than moving smoothly, there's a loud thud as the chair shifts downward and then ceases moving suddenly. I get the feeling that I have to lubricate the cylinder in order to get this to work properly, but I don't know how exactly to do that. Any tips? I feel like just getting a new cylinder entirely might be the move.

feedback loop fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Oct 23, 2020

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Zero VGS posted:

There's lot of things beside the back of the chair I can use, like an overbed table or whatever, but I don't want to have to futz with stuff every time I adjust the recline, and focusing on a static monitor when rocking is gonna be really weird too.

The monitor is only around 18 pounds, so if I can get clever about a lightweight frame or hoop (aluminum piping?) then maybe it won't be too bad if I drill it in all along the pine frame. Since some of the weight is wrapping around to the front of me, it should be balanced.

Right off the bat that's leather and I despise leather furniture. I can only put up with cushy fabric upholstery. I mean, on top of all the other insanity going on there.

im sure if you're throwing 3300 dollars on a scorpion chair then you could prob just throw a towel or something over it to barrier against the leather lol

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

feedback loop posted:

Hey guys, just bought a couple of used Steelcase Think V2s at a great price. The one that works properly has a nice bounce from the cylinder whenever I sit down and adjusts its height slightly while I'm sitting, depending on how I shift my weight. The other one, when I sit on it, feels sticky - rather than moving smoothly, there's a loud thud as the chair shifts downward and then ceases moving suddenly. I get the feeling that I have to lubricate the cylinder in order to get this to work properly, but I don't know how exactly to do that. Any tips? I feel like just getting a new cylinder entirely might be the move.

Not a great video (WD40 is NOT a lubricant!) but basically you just need to find the part of the cylinder that moves and apply some oil around it; it'll work it's way in, although you can help it along by applying a bit, actuating the cylinder up and down, and repeat a few times:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSq74_dmr58

Does it feel like the cylinder is bottoming out? Or just sticking on its way to a "compressed" state?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Zero VGS posted:

You might be surprised how well you can focus on a fixed object while rocking.

That being said, I get what you're trying to do; can you use the arms of the recliner as an option for helping support or no?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

My Steelcase Please Think has some kind of rail mounting system at the top of the back where you attach the headrest or the coat hanger or whatever. So theoretically you might be able to fabricate something to use it to attach the monitor. But yeah I don't see this being possibly rigid enough to not drive you nuts/fall apart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRBgF7NBei8

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Oct 23, 2020

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

isndl posted:

2 year warranty so it's mostly worthless like most gamer chairs. PU leather is generally disliked because it'll start peeling relatively quickly and then your chair looks like poo poo in addition to being a poor sitting experience. Actual ergonomics may still be questionable even if they claim to have added lumbar support.

The general rule of thumb is get something with a 10+ year warranty so you know it's not going to fall apart anytime soon, Steelcase and Herman Miller are the most commonly recommended brands but there are newer companies if you look around. If you're on a budget you look for one of those secondhand or hit up IKEA, the Markus is a big cheap chair designed to last but they've also recently introduced an upgraded version for more ergonomic support as well.

Are you referring to https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/jaervfjaellet-office-chair-with-armrests-glose-black-s19275626/ as the upgraded version?

That sounds like an idea. IKEA's shipping calculator is bonkers right now though.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

FaradayCage posted:

Are you referring to https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/jaervfjaellet-office-chair-with-armrests-glose-black-s19275626/ as the upgraded version?

That sounds like an idea. IKEA's shipping calculator is bonkers right now though.

I just ordered a desk shipped from Ikea. They delivered the tabletop only without the legs. The customer service queue that handles order fuckups automatically hangs up on you immediately unless you call then at exactly 837 on a Wednesday. I just gave up and opened a dispute with my cc company.

I guess what I'm saying is I probably wouldn't buy from Ikea unless you can go to a store without significant hardship.

feedback loop
Feb 16, 2015

Zarin posted:

Not a great video (WD40 is NOT a lubricant!) but basically you just need to find the part of the cylinder that moves and apply some oil around it; it'll work it's way in, although you can help it along by applying a bit, actuating the cylinder up and down, and repeat a few times:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSq74_dmr58

Does it feel like the cylinder is bottoming out? Or just sticking on its way to a "compressed" state?

It feels like the latter. I'll give this method a shot today and see how it goes. thanks!

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
Okay. I'm soured on PU Leather and IKEA now.

Thoughts on a Neuechair?

https://neuechair.com/products/neuechair#silver

It has a 12 year warranty, optional headrest (which I...will probably end up getting), and seems well-reviewed.

I'm avoiding the second-hand route due to the fact that $300 is credit from work and I don't want to go through the hassle of (A) finding one (B) being suspected of laundering the credit.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

FaradayCage posted:

I'm avoiding the second-hand route due to the fact that $300 is credit from work and I don't want to go through the hassle of (A) finding one (B) being suspected of laundering the credit.

Keep in mind office liquidators count as secondhand and they're perfectly legitimate businesses that will give you itemized receipts and everything. They're a bit harder to shop from online though.

No comment on the chair, I don't know anything about them.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Welp, I'm ready to try out a gaming chair, Secretlab Titan XL with cloth upholstery. If it sucks I'll return it and pay the fees. It's like 550€ shipped. Pre-orders only, depending on model it ships by end of year earliest.. :v:

https://secretlab.eu/collections/titan-xl-series

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Oct 26, 2020

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
My DXRacer King is all hosed up after only about 4-5 years of solid use, which included a few roadtrips with it in terms of moving apartments a few times.

The lift on it is basically shot, I can't change its height, not that I want it at any height other than max, since I'm tall. It also can't rock on the "zero g" axis anymore because if I unlock it, it will take forever to fiddle with the handle to re-lock it, instead just snapping the lock and returning to neutral, totally flat. Even the position it's locked at right now isn't ideal, but I honestly don't care because it's holding that position.

I weigh 200 lbs and am 6'3", this was a chair supposedly rated upwards of 300 lbs, so I'm not some megafat that broke it. It's just a shoddy chair. Cushion is also falling apart.

Thus ends my foray into "gaming" chairs. I will probably get a new one in the spring, hopefully something solid that lasts but also doesn't cost a loving thousand dollars.

Open to suggestions.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Is there a recommended drafting/high height chair?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You can get 'stool' variants of lots of chairs, e.g. the Steelcase Gesture Stool, Herman Miller Mirra 2 Stool

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Thanks Ants posted:

You can get 'stool' variants of lots of chairs, e.g. the Steelcase Gesture Stool, Herman Miller Mirra 2 Stool

You can also get 'stool' variants, which are the lookalikes at your local Staples for 150 dollars.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Facebook Aunt posted:

https://i.imgur.com/mBEKYan.mp4

They totally should've done this in command & conquer, holy poo poo

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

isndl posted:

Keep in mind office liquidators count as secondhand and they're perfectly legitimate businesses that will give you itemized receipts and everything. They're a bit harder to shop from online though.

No comment on the chair, I don't know anything about them.

I managed to find an office liquidator nearby that had a Herman Miller Aeron for about $500 so I went with that.

Pretty good. Back feels good. Now I just need to adjust the height of literally everything in my setup.

Thanks all for your input.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Hi chairgoons, a kind of addendum to the question on the last page, if you can't spend more than about $300 on a chair, is there really any meaningful difference in comfort or durability between a $250 chair and a $100 one?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Eric the Mauve posted:

Hi chairgoons, a kind of addendum to the question on the last page, if you can't spend more than about $300 on a chair, is there really any meaningful difference in comfort or durability between a $250 chair and a $100 one?

I would say yes, but honestly if you could go to $350 you might open up some other options. At that price, new, you're looking at something from Office Depot or similar, which honestly isn't that bad. It's not going to hold up as long as a $1,000 chair, but it is what it is.

For example, I really like these chairs:
https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/510830/WorkPro-Quantum-9000-Mesh-Series-Mid/
https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/9702132/WorkPro-12000-Series-MeshFabric-Mid-Back/

The split back one is nice, feels like it contours to your back better.

You could also look around for a user chair for $250. Depending on where you live, you might be able to find some real deals. Especially with so many companies going out of business or closing their offices these days.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

FYI for short people with an equally size-challenged budget, I ended up getting a Staples Hyken Mesh Task Chair and it's been SO much more comfortable than my lovely old IKEA chair because I can actually sit against the back of it (it has a 16.5" seat depth, I cannot believe it took me this many years to realize that was my issue). It has a 7-year warranty. The only downside thus far for me has been that sitting cross-legged can be kinda uncomfortable on the mesh with bare legs, which is probably a good thing 'cause that position is terrible for my posture.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah the Hyken is the best sub-$200 chair I know of (I'm 6' and it was fine for me) and I wonder if the WorkPro (thanks IE!) is really upgrade enough over it to be worth twice the price.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

For the price and the number of good reviews it's got, seems like you can't go wrong. That's a good one to know about.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I'll also recommend the Staples Hyken. It is currently on sale for $150 (Black or Gray) shipped with coupon code 53644 .

I have been using one for about 40 hours a week for a few years now. Still feels great.

https://slickdeals.net/f/14524727-staples-hyken-technical-mesh-task-chair-black-at-staples?v=1&src=frontpage

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011
Would you recomend it for some one really short (5ft even). I've been looking for a new chair since I'm working from home now.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

dbzfandiego posted:

Would you recomend it for some one really short (5ft even). I've been looking for a new chair since I'm working from home now.
I'm 5'3", I think it'd probably be fine for you but that depends on your back-of-butt to back-of-knee measurement. Definitely will want to get a footrest if you don't have one already--the chair will probably adjust low enough for your feet to touch the ground, but depending on your desk height and stuff it's much easier to have good posture with a footrest in my short person experience.

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011

Stroop There It Is posted:

I'm 5'3", I think it'd probably be fine for you but that depends on your back-of-butt to back-of-knee measurement. Definitely will want to get a footrest if you don't have one already--the chair will probably adjust low enough for your feet to touch the ground, but depending on your desk height and stuff it's much easier to have good posture with a footrest in my short person experience.

Thanks for the tips. I'll look into a proper footrest then.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Got this for $137 after taxes and discounts, should come in today (next day shipping? someone wanted to clean out a warehouse of this)
https://www.staples.com/staples-vartan-gaming-chair-white/product_24422620

I guess we'll see if it's an improvement over mine

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

For what it's worth I ordered something from Staples two days ago that claimed 2 day shipping, and as soon as ordered it the landing page said "lol just kidding, it's not actually in stock we'll let you know when it ships."

I don't have any immediate need of the item (obviously, or I wouldn't have ordered it from Staples) but that's just straight-up lying to get sales and it's scummy.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I got it today. Was expecting half the screws to be threaded the wrong way and pieces to be missing but thankfully not. Seems comfortable.

Forcing me to sit up straight instead of slouch, which was the intended purpose

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Eric the Mauve posted:

I think this is the best chair I've had aside from the Steelcase leap v2 that I had to return (couldn't afford it, emergency).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0814KKHWH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabt1_winRFbRPQ7ZKW?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Solid, well articulated, adjustable seat depth which was harder to find in my searches than I thought.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
I think I found a decent deal on a steelcase leap for $245. The fabric is kind of ugly but oh well. Anything I should look out for before purchasing? I can't tell if it's a v1 or v2.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Nohearum posted:

I think I found a decent deal on a steelcase leap for $245. The fabric is kind of ugly but oh well. Anything I should look out for before purchasing? I can't tell if it's a v1 or v2.

It's a V1. V2's have flatter armrests.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Are there any head rests compatible with a Herman Miller Mirra? Recently scored one for 200 bucks.

Also, there seems to be a gap between the outer skin of the arm rests and the cushioning. Anyway to fix that myself or should I just replace the pads?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
super long shot, but anyone have any thoughts on this Fully Desk Chair? they're running a 15% off sale, and I like my Fully desk so I trust them a bit more than random brands on Amazon/Wayfair/Staples/whatever. literally the only review I've found of it is Wirecutter saying it's a reasonable alternative to the HON Ignition (which looks to have awful QC), but I don't really trust Wirecutter with this kinda thing anymore. it's a relabeled version of the "Able Desk Co Desk Chair" (which is another brand Fully owns for some reason) if anyone's tried that.

having a really loving bad time trying to find a chair for under $1000 right now. would be willing to go up to $600 or so but I'm in NYC with no car with COVID rates spiking, so there's zero way for me to get any kind of secondhand furniture, and no one seems to have any ideas on midrange chairs. I'd even get a loving Secretlab at this point if the Titan with fabric wasn't backordered until January :smith: