Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Midjack posted:

lmao at an unironic “privatize the post office” poster in 2020. Enjoy paying 10 bucks to mail a postcard.

I'd rather the opposite direction--make it strictly for government use.

We've lost the thread here though, all I'm trying to assert is that there is no reason the USPS has to be a cheap vehicle for spammers. Other countries actually let people opt out of getting their mailboxes stuffed full of spam but the U.S. hasn't because :capitalism: The federal government can and should tell mass spammers to piss off and FedEx their glossies if it means so goddamn much to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I don't think the USPS should go away, but the landscape has changed tremendously since 1990. It's still useful for official mailings and such but it's usually weeks to months between something that isn't junk , and having the "we'll just scan it and let you know" service would let me not have to sort through garbage daily for Just In Case. It's like complaining about the DNC list because we don't want telephony to disappear.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

We've lost the thread here though, all I'm trying to assert is that there is no reason the USPS has to be a cheap vehicle for spammers. Other countries actually let people opt out of getting their mailboxes stuffed full of spam but the U.S. hasn't because :capitalism: The federal government can and should tell mass spammers to piss off and FedEx their glossies if it means so goddamn much to them.

again, just complain the spam makes you horny and they have to stop

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Tunicate posted:

again, just complain the spam makes you horny and they have to stop

This feels like the wrong time to hold up the line at the post office to complain that the mail gives you an commerce boner

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
also, if you like weed and don't live in a legal state, you should probably be in favor of the USPS.

because it's currently by far the least risky way to transport weed across great distances (because, unlike UPS and FedEx, they can't open your poo poo without a warrant) and unless you're buying in the hood, your dealer is almost certainly getting their supply in the mail.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Eric the Mauve posted:

We've lost the thread here though, all I'm trying to assert is that there is no reason the USPS has to be a cheap vehicle for spammers.

it's fine if a bunch of businesses i dont care about mail me things that i throw away and it keeps the post office open. lots of people make a living off that crap. inefficiency is good, it's what puts food on the table

the only reason spammers can do this is because there is a cheap mail option available to all. making everything cost $3 to mail is about as silly as trying to stop spam email by forcing a dollar per email

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Nov 10, 2020

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

Eric the Mauve posted:

None of this is stuff that FedEx/UPS can't handle, at rates that preclude mass spambombings by shysters. The USPS's primary purpose in 2020 is a vehicle for shysters (and political organizations, but I repeat myself) to cheaply mass spambomb.

I have nothing against the USPS. I'd still find it Cool and Good if the absolute minimum charge to mail something was, say, $2, with no way for mass mailings to get around it. High enough to make mass spambombings unprofitable.

lmao

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

remigious posted:

Also the USPS is a great job provider (or at least it was, not sure if that has changed). My mom was a mail carrier for like 15 years and never graduated from high school. She would have had a cushy retirement plan too if alcoholism hasn’t ruined everything :(
I was friends with a rural postal worker, his beer drinking killed him ~4 years into retirement. He wanted to travel the country and world more, but he didn't get to.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Lordy, how much beer do you have to drink to die from it??

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Volmarias posted:

Checks from my health insurance still come in the mail, government correspondence (tax bills etc), the folks who can't use internet, it sucks but there's still some stuff in the mail.

What now?

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

I just got a call from "Amazon" saying that there was a problem with my Visa card ending XX. They got the card wrong, but they had my name and knew that I signed up for Prime last week. I just contacted Amazon and they went no, not possible, must be a coincidence. What gives?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Some plans (usually those without co-pays) do reimbursement rather than they pay the doctor then the doctor bills you the diff. I think it's a vanishing number of plans since most have moved to an HMO or PPO model, but they still exist.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Proteus Jones posted:

Some plans (usually those without co-pays) do reimbursement rather than they pay the doctor then the doctor bills you the diff. I think it's a vanishing number of plans since most have moved to an HMO or PPO model, but they still exist.

It's out of network stuff for me, from what I can tell, and I suspect it's how the billing works on the insurance end. I'll get a statement in the mail along with a check. The statement will say "your doctor billed X, we negotiated Y, we covered Y1, here's the check for that. You're going to pay them Y (or X) and here's our part of that payment. Have fun!

American health care is incredibly stupid.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Sanford posted:

I just got a call from "Amazon" saying that there was a problem with my Visa card ending XX. They got the card wrong, but they had my name and knew that I signed up for Prime last week. I just contacted Amazon and they went no, not possible, must be a coincidence. What gives?

My vote is that it was a coincidence.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

I actually got two $15 checks from my insurance last week because I somehow overpaid, even though the only thing I paid out of pocket were co-pays. :shrug:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Volmarias posted:

This feels like the wrong time to hold up the line at the post office to complain that the mail gives you an commerce boner

“That’s the wrong kind of package to mail, sir.”

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Tubgoat posted:

Lordy, how much beer do you have to drink to die from it??
Drinking too much often can lead to fatty liver, which then scars, leading to cirrhosis of the liver and too much of that destroys your liver.

It's similar to having hepatitis, but can be worse or fatal. A doc I visit had had a 24 year old die from destroying their liver.

It's reversible if caught early. Drinking too much can also cause jaundice, wet brain, and you will get very little nutrients if you're downing a 30+ beers every night.

m0therfux0r
Oct 11, 2007

me.
USPS also keeps prices down for the private parcel services. Without it, UPS and Fed Ex are only competing with each other instead of a third company that's only business plan is "breaking even", so it'll get expensive as hell.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

30+ beers every night.
Okay then! :stare:

I sure hope the booze library has the white cases in tomorrow. :yum:

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Midjack posted:

“That’s the wrong kind of package to mail, sir.”

King Missile to the rescue!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

goatsestretchgoals posted:

King Missile to the rescue!

I just want to let you know that I got that ancient reference

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Just saw this on ebay. This is just the laziest attempt in the world to set up an illegal gambling operation right?

7 ounce bath salts in a sealed bag with real cash inside.
You can get $1,5 or $20
Each bath salt bag has at least $1 in each one.
Each Bill is inside a little plastic bag so it won’t contaminate the bath salts

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Sounds like a low budget version of the jewelry candle thing, but without the lobbyist oversight to keep them out of jail.

If it ends up working out maybe I'll dust of those plans for a russian roulette tontine ring.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

And you can smoke the bath salts or whatever too, sounds like a plan!

Raffles aren't illegal, but some raffles are almost gambling.

Quaint Quail Quilt fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Nov 16, 2020

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
What the gently caress are people smoking when you hear police blotter about folks high on "bath salts"? All I know is it's not actual epsom salts. Is it meth? Say meth! I can't figure out what it is.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Research chemicals.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tubgoat posted:

What the gently caress are people smoking when you hear police blotter about folks high on "bath salts"? All I know is it's not actual epsom salts. Is it meth? Say meth! I can't figure out what it is.

cocktails of drugs too exotic and untested to be banned yet, sold in gas stations as different products which are 'not' for 'ingestion'

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

novel synthetic cathinones mostly, underground pharma has been doing some crazy poo poo exploring the chemistry around somali warlord chaw.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Nov 16, 2020

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Tubgoat posted:

Synthetic chemicals made at sketchy chemical plants imported into the US labeled as "bath salts" to get through customs. Basically anything psycho-active that isn't on an FDA list yet.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

May or may not make you hulk out and murder your whole family before making you commit suicide by cop.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

That does not sound like a relaxing bath.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
When they first touched down in media, there seemed to be a consistent narrative of paranoid oppression experienced by the user of bathsalts, across many cases. Of course, it might've just been the only ones they wrote about.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Tubgoat posted:

When they first touched down in media, there seemed to be a consistent narrative of paranoid oppression experienced by the user of bathsalts, across many cases. Of course, it might've just been the only ones they wrote about.
I think that's just life in 21st century America. :shrug:

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

FMguru posted:

I think that's just life in 21st century America. :shrug:
That absolutely did occur to me as I was writing that post, but I'm not about to remove my parents' faces withtout a whole lot of chemical encouragement (tempt me as they might some days).

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Dik Hz posted:

Synthetic chemicals made at sketchy chemical plants imported into the US labeled as "bath salts" to get through customs. Basically anything psycho-active that isn't on an FDA list yet.

When it does get put on a list they'll immediately switch to another chemical, keeping the same branding and packaging.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

The Lone Badger posted:

When it does get put on a list they'll immediately switch to another chemical, keeping the same branding and packaging.
Yup. Add a methyl group away from the active site and it's a brand new chemical that's not on the list for another 2+ months.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

cakesmith handyman posted:

That does not sound like a relaxing bath.

Hey the package only promised to get you salty and in hot water.

If you ended up in legal hot water while shedding salty tears after the mood/mind altering effects wore off, then the product worked as advertised.

Overnight Blaze
Mar 7, 2017

Tubgoat posted:

When you're binging unresearched stimulants you tend to get a little paranoid

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Wizzanthos posted:

When you're binging unresearched stimulants you tend to get a little paranoid

Especially since some of these things have an extremely long biological half-life.
(Sticking methyl groups on willy-nilly can do that)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Tubgoat posted:

bath salts are a random mix of whatever the gently caress, typically low grade hallucinogens and things that get you high like weed but angrier and a bit delusional

in one state a legislator's son dosed on bath salts in a hot tub, passed out, and drowned. aside from violating a cardinal drug rule "don't dose in water" this lead to an attempt to ban bath salts as well as "spice", which is just synthetic weed crystals sprayed onto inert plant matter

both bath salts and spice have some popularity because they're quasi legal and you can get them for cheap from shady corner stores and gas stations. this means they tend to be consumed by teens and street people with no money, and if you're absuing something like this out of boredom or to escape your lovely life then the odds are pretty good you're going to have a big freak out because the downside to this cheap bag of random intoxicants is that you're really rolling the dice on how your body will react, as the drug bag can vary widely on strength and composition

last year in new hampshire there was an incident where a bunch of local users overdosed at the same time in different locations, meaning probably whatever came in through the local shady corner store was way stronger than usual or had something weird in the mix

https://manchesterinklink.com/multiple-spice-overdose-calls-at-new-horizons-keep-first-responders-busy/

but yeah for every example of someone going nuts and eating someone's face, there's a hundred cases of a bunch of teens in a basement somewhere hard up because the weed man isn't answering his phone and so it's time to have a crappy buzz gotten from a cheap drug mystery box

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 17, 2020