Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I’d make eye contact with him and fart. I did it all the time for like two years. I didn’t even know his full name, just heard that his coworkers thought he was a nut for complaining about “the guy who would fart on me in the break room”

Sagebrush posted:

Do they really though

Like you've made the point again and again and again that the Republican machine is this hierarchical top-down messaging and they just quote whatever points are on breitbart that day. Without their guy in the white house, the top of their command structure goes back to being people like Rush Limbaugh, and while that's not great, no one's seriously worried that Rush is going to incite a civil war

Guess we'll find out! lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
i think i'd put it this way: they're useful idiots that can be easily encited.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

rush is dead soon and Mark Levin is Jewish so he only has so much pull with the actual wackos

I think there’s a large contingent of that 70mil voters that will either be completely politically deflated and go back to grilling and not paying attention, that only voted for trump because they couldn’t find a noticeable improvement that Biden offered (“nothing will fundamentally change”), or just voted for whoever the republican was

I don’t think they’re all completely lost and I definitely don’t think the ones that are are brave enough to risk getting sack-blasted by a zoomer in the civil war they crave for on facebook

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Mark Levin is Jewish so he only has so much pull with the actual wackos

there's an easy way around that: "he's one of the good ones."

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

my favorite social psych professor [who wrote a really excellent book on the topic] had a line that blew my mind when first I heard it and I think about constantly:

"propaganda cannot control what people think. it can, however, control what they think about."

Apr 7, 2003

I’d make eye contact with him and fart. I did it all the time for like two years. I didn’t even know his full name, just heard that his coworkers thought he was a nut for complaining about “the guy who would fart on me in the break room”

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I don’t think they’re all completely lost and I definitely don’t think the ones that are are brave enough to risk getting sack-blasted by a zoomer in the civil war they crave for on facebook

The chuds I know / knew have only gotten crazier and more difficult to communicate with over the past four years and I don't see a way to get them back to normality any time soon.

My wife's grandma read the John Bolton book and mentioned some stuff in it to stepmom, and stepmom reacted by calling other family to try to get her pushed into a home for "talking about crazy stuff."

A lot of these people are going to stay in their fanatical Trumpy pseudofamilies if just because they've driven their real families and friends away.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
i think a lot of them will get (more) into evangelical christianity.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
especially the younger ones

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

there's a lot of people to whom the option to live in a fantasy world where you are right about everything and everyone you dislike deserves to be murdered is a solid choice

right now it's vastly easier than honestly confronting the horrors of white supremacist capitalism and there's a whole support system in place to keep people there

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

A lot of these people are going to stay in their fanatical Trumpy pseudofamilies if just because they've driven their real families and friends away.

MLM execs must be raking in crazy-money now that "I'm right and gently caress you for saying I'm full of baloney" has become an acceptable norm.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
my dad has always been a registered democrat, hes a baptist and likes hunting and archery, he voted for trump in 2016 (and bush in 2000 and obama in 2008) but pulled himself back from the deep end

he is absolutely disgusted with trump and the modern republican party, and is very very saddened at what right-wing insanity has done to his church and his archery club, he likened it to invasion of the body snatchers, he had no idea how full of hate his church and friends and acquaintances and neighbors could be

i am very proud of him and have told him this on multiple occasions, ive heard/read so many storeis of "fox news destroyed my parents"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

kitten emergency posted:

i think a lot of them will get (more) into evangelical christianity.

"evangelical christian" isn't a religious descriptor any more. like, it's blatant enough that NPR of all places ran a piece that straight-up said "evangelical christian" is just a dog-whistle for "white conservative"

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

https://twitter.com/JoshNBCNews/status/1326226043246694402

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

very cool and very legal

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

hooooooo boy!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

until there are actual consequences more severe than getting dragged by blue checks on twitter they will continue to act this way

there's no reason for them not to, the upside of cooperating is some nyu trustafarian columnists stop calling you names and the downside is getting denied access to the rich deposits of money in the griftosphere

qirex fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Nov 10, 2020

Apr 7, 2003

It's pretty clear from the video that he's trolling and thinks he's being funny, but there's a serious fuckin' problem here when the halls of power are occupied by people whose highest aspiration is to troll and bully the other half of the country.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

qirex posted:

until there are actual consequences more severe than getting dragged by blue checks on twitter they will continue to act this way

there's no reason for them not to, the upside of cooperating is some nyu trustafarian columnists stop calling you names and the downside getting denied access to the rich deposits of money in the griftosphere

for real "democrats criticize repbulicans" isn't going to fix this.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

It's pretty clear from the video that he's trolling and thinks he's being funny, but there's a serious fuckin' problem here when the halls of power are occupied by people whose highest aspiration is to troll and bully the other half of the country.

its actually hilarious.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol
over in r/AskTrumpSupporters watching the people justify paying money to help support the recount or whatever is classic, 50% of the funds are going to his campaign debt, and the way they justify giving money to an already billionaire is satisfying. because they all believe he is as rich as he says he is but also go along with his hand-held-out antics. “fair weather trump supporters will be noted and treated as so when the election result is overturned”

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

President Beep posted:

for real "democrats criticize repbulicans" isn't going to fix this.
it's hilarious because you can go back to like the time of the slavery debates when the parties were flipped to see how long "mild scolding" has apparently been the only tool in the box for pretty much ever and all that got the republicans of the time was the savage walking stick beating of charles sumner on the senate floor

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

echinopsis posted:

lol
over in r/AskTrumpSupporters watching the people justify paying money to help support the recount or whatever is classic, 50% of the funds are going to his campaign debt, and the way they justify giving money to an already billionaire is satisfying. because they all believe he is as rich as he says he is but also go along with his hand-held-out antics. “fair weather trump supporters will be noted and treated as so when the election result is overturned”

i like how they were all freaking out that AOC said something about making a list of everyone that worked for the trump admin and ensuring they never have a job in government again, yet theyre also noting "fair weather trump supporters"

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

qirex posted:

it's hilarious because you can go back to like the time of the slavery debates when the parties were flipped to see how long "mild scolding" has apparently been the only tool in the box for pretty much ever and all that got the republicans of the time was the savage walking stick beating of charles sumner on the senate floor

more of this. i would love to see dianne feinstein doddering across the aisle to feebly try and throw her iphone at chuck grassley's head

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
seems good

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1325144053479075840.html

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I've been reading @thedonalddotwin twitter and it's been bad for my health

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

this sounds too stupid to be true but here’s my understanding of c obamacare s:

- ACA becomes a thing
- some time passes
- repubs change some aspect of ACA, which crosses some legal threshold
- repubs are now whistleblowing the thing that they changed
- and saying the only way to fix it is throwing out the ACA entirely, as opposed to just undoing the illegal thing that they themselves did

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

the people falling into this who aren't even americans really highlights how powerful this poo poo actually is. i guess that am radio style paranoia with an ai in the back ensuring every individual is targeted for maximum emotional manipulation is pretty obvious in hindsight

i've watched a few friends fall into this hole and man once a few tendrils get under your skin it's basically game over. what's even sadder is no two are alike, either. each person has their own customized story of total insanity being crafted for them so it's not like you could even mass short-circuit it, if such a thing were even possible.

it's just really really sad and i'm not sure how we unfuck this situation

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

has there still been no q posts since election day and what's-his-face left 8kun?

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
what the christ did i wake up to today argh

PIZZA.BAT posted:

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

jesus WEP posted:

- ACA becomes a thing
- some time passes
- and saying the only way to fix it is throwing out the ACA entirely, as opposed to just undoing the illegal thing that they themselves did

this is the classic GOP playbook

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

jesus WEP posted:

- ACA becomes a thing
- some time passes

the really messed up thing about ACA is that the conservatives completely neutered it before it passed, so when it became a thing, it was just a husk of a law that barely did anything. then the same shitheads complained loudly about how bad they themselves made it, and removed the tax penalty for not having insurance, because freedom. the whole point of everyone having insurance is that people stay healthier in general, and costs go down. now they want to axe it completely and the plan to replace it is to go back to the old monstrous system.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

great thread, and by great i mean extremely depressing. very despair inducing.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Roosevelt posted:

the really messed up thing about ACA is that the conservatives completely neutered it before it passed, so when it became a thing, it was just a husk of a law that barely did anything. then the same shitheads complained loudly about how bad they themselves made it, and removed the tax penalty for not having insurance, because freedom. the whole point of everyone having insurance is that people stay healthier in general, and costs go down. now they want to axe it completely and the plan to replace it is to go back to the old monstrous system.

This is true, and also the entire ACA was designed around what the conservatives had previously said they wanted!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

aca is basically a heritage foundation plan to begin with

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
did someone post this already

https://twitter.com/RawStory/status/1325822505429454848

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

its basically bob dole's plan from 1996 and is a carbon copy of romneycare out of mass.

the argument today was that since the individual mandate is zero, it is no longer a tax. since there is no longer a tax involved, the aca is unconstitutional because sebellius only found it constitutional as a tax under congress' taxing authority.

kav, roberts, and barrett all said 'yeah, but this poo poo has been gone for 3 years and there's no problem - we can just cut it off of the law and leave the rest intact' so that's what is most likely to occur.

Apr 7, 2003

I’m Trump

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

:piss:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Did you say "Trump?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

scented candles can't possibly hope to cover up the might of mcdonalds rear end stench everyone knows this