Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Zonko_T.M. posted:

The First Porter is the only one who is too far from the borders of other prepper's network areas to really do this. You can't get a zipline close enough to overcome the terrible steep slope that dork lives on, and it makes him IMO the biggest pain.

If you’re talking about The First Prepper rather than the Retired Porter that’s exactly my thoughts!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Midjack posted:

If you’re talking about The First Prepper rather than the Retired Porter that’s exactly my thoughts!

Nah, that guy was a pain but it wasn't too hard to place a zipline at the peak above his house and a couple of ropes to get down. Somehow he took the most deliveries to get connected, which was annoying.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I just beat the game. Great game, I got fatigued near the end and I think most of Episode 13 did nothing but bog it down with (totally expected) unnecessary Kojima poo poo, but I'm happy to have played it.

Maybe I'll plat it on PS5.

I think this is definitely the best Kojima game since at least Peace Walker, I hope he keeps this going.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

When Lockne gives me the cold shoulder do I just hike back the way I came?

Oh man this was one of the most grueling parts of the game for me. I didn't go back the way I came, I went through the mountain pass that should be evident on the map. I may have lucked out but I didn't hit a single enemy going that way, just needed a good amount of ladders and anchors.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Ok spoilers but I'm on Chapter 3 and two questions

When does the game really start to open up, and I know there's 14 chapters, but are they all the same size? That'd be rad.

Also I stole a MULE truck, is there a way to drive it up to the Elder, or Hermit I forget his name?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

When you beat Chapter 3 you are 38 missions down of 70. I recommend playing the main quest until you get the ziplines, then feel free to do side-content in the East and East-Central Regions.

Chapter 5-8 takes place in the mountains where things REALLY become a pain in the rear end.

Chapter 9-14 is 8 missions that form the endgame.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I asked this in another thread but this place is way more appropriate.

What's the deal with killing in Death Stranding? I thought it was supposed to be a big no-no but then you're given all these lethal weapons and I've just gone through killed my way through every MULE camp I find and.... Nothing happens? Some of these kills were from a long time ago too, like in previous regions, but when I go back and check them out the dead bodies are still just laying around. Nobody seems to comment of my mass murdering either, which seems odd. I thought you could trigger void outs?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I’m in Chapter 13 now and this is absolutely excruciating. This is my first and probably last Kojima game. There were some good ideas and moments of fun in the middle but the beginning and end are just miserable.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

The boss fight against the B-movie villain was a pain!

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

My god why am I literally watching cutscenes I’ve already seen before. When does this game end. This is dragging on so long!

And now the credits play again. Kojima needs an editor.

Overall I liked the game quite a bit. The core loop was really fun after I figured out the menus and mechanics and I had a blast building roads and planning routes. The cooperative gameplay was so cool and I really looked forward to connecting new regions to the network.

However, the story was some primo garbage and the last 3 chapters completely put me off and left me soured. I had some intention to go back and 5 star old areas and connect some more regions I hadn’t connected but now I feel like I’m completely over it.

What a bizarre game!

Harriet Carker fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Nov 7, 2020

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Proletarian Mango posted:

I asked this in another thread but this place is way more appropriate.

What's the deal with killing in Death Stranding? I thought it was supposed to be a big no-no but then you're given all these lethal weapons and I've just gone through killed my way through every MULE camp I find and.... Nothing happens? Some of these kills were from a long time ago too, like in previous regions, but when I go back and check them out the dead bodies are still just laying around. Nobody seems to comment of my mass murdering either, which seems odd. I thought you could trigger void outs?

Game may be glitched if corpses aren’t necrotizing. The corpses will eventually spawn BTs and a MULE will bump into them and that causes a voidout.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

dantheman650 posted:

My god why am I literally watching cutscenes I’ve already seen before. When does this game end. This is dragging on so long!

And now the credits play again. Kojima needs an editor.

Overall I liked the game quite a bit. The core loop was really fun after I figured out the menus and mechanics and I had a blast building roads and planning routes. The cooperative gameplay was so cool and I really looked forward to connecting new regions to the network.

However, the story was some primo garbage and the last 3 chapters completely put me off and left me soured. I had some intention to go back and 5 star old areas and connect some more regions I hadn’t connected but now I feel like I’m completely over it.

What a bizarre game!

Your thoughts are my thoughts. I'd go more like the last 5 chapters, though (final zone on), and I didn't care for the nightmares; I was playing COD WW2 (free PS+ game) at the same time and couldn't stop comparing how much better COD was at those bits even though the goals were very different... which is pretty damning. That said, MGS3 is really good and avoids most of the problems of DS.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/1325363964260179969?s=20

:allears:

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Death Stranding is a 4/5 whereas Horizon would be a 5/5. Both have strong USPs: a heavy emphasis on physical traversal, and fighting robot dinosaurs witha bow. Horizon edges out because of it's story delivery. It's Hero Journey as gently caress but it paces out it beats and revelations better instead of cramming them into the last 10% of the runtime. Aloy was refreshingingly idealistic as a hero in a sea of gruff loners, and I never once thought of Sylens as Lance Reddick with a bunch of tubes in his face.

I think Kojima's next game could benefit from starting from a conventional premise and branching out. Maybe having a different protagonist like a Raiden type.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

dantheman650 posted:

However, the story was some primo garbage

:wrong:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Death Stranding is a 4/5 whereas Horizon would be a 5/5. Both have strong USPs: a heavy emphasis on physical traversal, and fighting robot dinosaurs witha bow. Horizon edges out because of it's story delivery. It's Hero Journey as gently caress but it paces out it beats and revelations better instead of cramming them into the last 10% of the runtime. Aloy was refreshingingly idealistic as a hero in a sea of gruff loners, and I never once thought of Sylens as Lance Reddick with a bunch of tubes in his face.

I think Kojima's next game could benefit from starting from a conventional premise and branching out. Maybe having a different protagonist like a Raiden type.

I feel the complete opposite. HZD was like a 3 out of 5 for me, and the story was... fine. I guess. I think Death Stranding is basically a masterpiece

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I realistically haven't given horizon enough of a shot yet to come in too hot about it but it seemed perfectly fine with nothing special about it but nothing obviously bad either

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I'll say this about HZD: The game is one of the best looking games I've ever played, with the exception of how lovely the dialogue animations were. But the environments are insane. Photo mode was better than the actual game itself

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
With ps5 is the 4k mode on pro an uncapped framerate? Or locked to 30? Wondering if I take this for a spin on ps5

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I haven't heard anything yet but I'd expect it'll get a PS5 patch. I don't think Horizon has gotten one yet so I don't know how well PS4 Decima works on PS5 but at this point I'd expect (dynamic) 4K 60 fps.

E: Scratch that, Killzone Shadow Fall runs at a dynamic 4K 60 fps on PS5 without a patch and that's a Decima game. But neither Horizon or Death Stranding have unlocked fps modes as far as I know so right now they're probably both still 30 fps.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Stare-Out posted:

I haven't heard anything yet but I'd expect it'll get a PS5 patch. I don't think Horizon has gotten one yet so I don't know how well PS4 Decima works on PS5 but at this point I'd expect (dynamic) 4K 60 fps.

E: Scratch that, Killzone Shadow Fall runs at a dynamic 4K 60 fps on PS5 without a patch and that's a Decima game. But neither Horizon or Death Stranding have unlocked fps modes as far as I know so right now they're probably both still 30 fps.

Death Stranding got a photo mode patch post release so I wouldn't put it past them to include a 60 fps mode.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I hope the patch will add some Dualsense stuff too. There's no doubt Kojima's going nuts about that controller.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
So I didn’t explain very well but basically even if he doesn’t patch it there is a chance.

For example if a game runs at unlocked before then it’ll just max out at 60fps. But if the developer locked it to 30 before the ps5 can’t go away from that.

So I wonder is it locked 30 currently or can it go above. Otherwise it will need that patch

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

teacup posted:

So I didn’t explain very well but basically even if he doesn’t patch it there is a chance.

For example if a game runs at unlocked before then it’ll just max out at 60fps. But if the developer locked it to 30 before the ps5 can’t go away from that.

So I wonder is it locked 30 currently or can it go above. Otherwise it will need that patch

pretty sure it's locked to 30 on console, would be a bit of a jittery mess otherwise

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

After a year of knowing I need to play this, being unable to, resenting the fact that a work so wild and crazy and obtuse was bestowed upon gamers of all people, wasted on them, that this high faulting richly weird obtuse fancy pants aggressively artsy fartsy zaniness was for ME, not gamers, I have finally got to play and am ~5-6 hours into Monster Energy Presents Hideo Kojima’s Magnum Opus Death Stranding for the PlayStation 4 by Kojima Productions published by Sony Computer Entertainment rated M for Mature starring Norman Reedus, Mads Mikelsen, Guielmero Del Toro, Lindsey Wagner, Conan O’Brian, Nicholas Winding Refn, Monster Energy Drink, and many more, and despite having barely scratched the surface I feel more than qualified to state objectively, not only as a podcaster, an intellectual, an occasionally retweeted microinfluencer, but also as one who possesses an unassailable level of good taste and innate awareness of what is cool:

Death Stranding is the first good video game.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Time to strand up some more deathies!

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Robotnik Nudes posted:

I've been thinking this and saying this and people just look at me weird when I do.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Lou Takki posted:

I've been thinking this and saying this and people just look at me weird when I do.

History will vindicate this along with many other stunning truths the cattle cannot accept, such as that the Prequels are the only good Star Wars movies and other such suppressed wisdom.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Robotnik Nudes posted:

I like the cut of your jib.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

I like the cut of your jib.

Then smash that mf touch pad!

I’m so excited to see that this game features an implementation of sorts of my theory of Capital as Clout#

I looked back a bunch in this thread to around release time just to get a swab test of what the vibe and goonsensus was at the time, mainly because I wanted to gawk at haters and philistines having Gamer-Type Opinions and engaging in the classic goon sport of having a boring, bad, hand me down pink boy opinion and constantly reiterating it in a stupid rear end in a top hat way over and over. Because I am a painpig who is on this site.

I’m glad to see that enough folks have at least been able to sense that they are confronted with a work that’s not even on the same level as the false idols of A Good Game of the Past, let alone the swill they’re developing erectile dysfunction, a vitamin D deficiency and Skinner box induced oxytocin deprivation of their own from while they suck the test of a digital succubus in exchange for virtual head pats, trophies to celebrate their time investment, and the happy chemical when the number goes up, up up towards no fulfillment of any objective! And even though these.

You know. Video Games.

Sure these “Good Ones” of Gamers may not actually understand the depth, the layers, the way to “read” the “text” which A Video Vagina Game: Dick Strangling confronts them with, but they at least can whiff its powerful mojo enough to perform as Death Strumming Understanders and Appreciators. Some have even found some engaging and rewarding experience just splashing in the waist high water of their Game Toucher capacity for comprehension, and I can no more condemn this than I could condemn condemn thousands of 10th graders telling each other they liked Gravity’s Rainbow. Sure it’s a bit ridiculous to a more mature, worldly, literate, sophisticated, libidinally overclocked, cultivated, all grown up I can buy my own insurance and everything, cool as hell, virtuous, hypothetically fabulously wealthy, liked and retweeted, Slack radiating, minds more open than a French politician’s marriage, does all the cool drugs and that doesn’t include getting addicted to pain meds like and dumbass but still means a lot more than weed and a gram of mushrooms five years ago you won’t stop talking about to make yourself look more interesting to your obnoxious bougie friends, Polly, considerate, gentle, sensual, supple, book reader, art liker/comprehended etc kind of crowd, but god dammit it would just be senseless cynicism and misanthropy fir the sake of reinforcing my own misery!

I’m just tickled as hell that those 10th graders even know what Gravity’s Rainbow is and that they’re getting such a head start on my generation when it comes to lying for clout or pussy about having read it and hoping no kind of killjoy Kenosha Kid showing up to reveal you never did.

That’s a long way of saying, I’m glad to see that the overwhelming power/stank of its artistic mojo has caused people to mostly adopt an attitude of appreciation and reverence/vomited in submission to its pungent, rich aroma of the ceaslelessly flowing ballsweat of Kojima Hideo’s massive BTs (Big Testicles)

Furthermore I

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Robotnik Nudes posted:

[I didn't read past that, I'll be honest.]

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
+1 Like(s) received from CJacobs

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

[I didn't read past that, I'll be honest.]

That’s fine. Hideo Kojima created Death Man Stranding not (just) for money but out of a love and a passion for an idea and desire to see it made real regardless of whether, not even with the goal of everyone playing and paying attention to every second. The fact they have the ability experience it, to stew in its juices, to say nice things about it are all merely secondary effects of the core desire, which was to make it and put it out in the world.

Kojima and I are, I come to realize, so very alike, for I also post not for money or clout, not even for the sake of the content of my posting but a love of posting itself and desire to see words spew out of the fertile black oily ghost juice connecting our world to the inhuman other harbinger of our atomizations and doom: the internet!

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.
Sir. Please keep your juices away from me.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Technically Bloodborne was first but Death Stranding shows its very possible to have at least two Very Great things at the same time.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Robotnik Nudes posted:

I’m so excited to see that this game features an implementation of sorts of my theory of Capital as Clout#

I looked back a bunch in this thread to around release time just to get a swab test of what the vibe and goonsensus was at the time, mainly because I wanted to gawk at haters and philistines having Gamer-Type Opinions and engaging in the classic goon sport of having a boring, bad, hand me down pink boy opinion and constantly reiterating it in a stupid rear end in a top hat way over and over. Because I am a painpig who is on this site.

I’m glad to see that enough folks have at least been able to sense that they are confronted with a work that’s not even on the same level as the false idols of A Good Game of the Past, let alone the swill they’re developing erectile dysfunction, a vitamin D deficiency and Skinner box induced oxytocin deprivation of their own from while they suck the test of a digital succubus in exchange for virtual head pats, trophies to celebrate their time investment, and the happy chemical when the number goes up, up up towards no fulfillment of any objective! And even though these.

You know. Video Games.

Sure these “Good Ones” of Gamers may not actually understand the depth, the layers, the way to “read” the “text” which A Video Vagina Game: Dick Strangling confronts them with, but they at least can whiff its powerful mojo enough to perform as Death Strumming Understanders and Appreciators. Some have even found some engaging and rewarding experience just splashing in the waist high water of their Game Toucher capacity for comprehension, and I can no more condemn this than I could condemn condemn thousands of 10th graders telling each other they liked Gravity’s Rainbow. Sure it’s a bit ridiculous to a more mature, worldly, literate, sophisticated, libidinally overclocked, cultivated, all grown up I can buy my own insurance and everything, cool as hell, virtuous, hypothetically fabulously wealthy, liked and retweeted, Slack radiating, minds more open than a French politician’s marriage, does all the cool drugs and that doesn’t include getting addicted to pain meds like and dumbass but still means a lot more than weed and a gram of mushrooms five years ago you won’t stop talking about to make yourself look more interesting to your obnoxious bougie friends, Polly, considerate, gentle, sensual, supple, book reader, art liker/comprehended etc kind of crowd, but god dammit it would just be senseless cynicism and misanthropy fir the sake of reinforcing my own misery!

I’m just tickled as hell that those 10th graders even know what Gravity’s Rainbow is and that they’re getting such a head start on my generation when it comes to lying for clout or pussy about having read it and hoping no kind of killjoy Kenosha Kid showing up to reveal you never did.

That’s a long way of saying, I’m glad to see that the overwhelming power/stank of its artistic mojo has caused people to mostly adopt an attitude of appreciation and reverence/vomited in submission to its pungent, rich aroma of the ceaslelessly flowing ballsweat of Kojima Hideo’s massive BTs (Big Testicles)

Furthermore I

Sir this is a McDonald's

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Have modders figured out a way to put custom music into the PC version of this game? I played through the whole thing with the mopey sadboy music on the ps4 and I want a new experience on PC. That possible?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
is it a particularly easy engine to mod? i've been asking the nerds who mod skater xl (unity) for that for ages and they just tell me to turn down the game music and play spotify or whatever so I can't imagine anyone could be bothered with a more complicated engine like the HZD one

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

is it a particularly easy engine to mod? i've been asking the nerds who mod skater xl (unity) for that for ages and they just tell me to turn down the game music and play spotify or whatever so I can't imagine anyone could be bothered with a more complicated engine like the HZD one

I'm not sure. I believe you could put audio files on your pc and use them in the pc version of MGSV but obviously this is a different animal than that game. I know a lot of people really like the licensed music in this game (and it fits with the somber tone, I get it) but I grew to really dislike it by the end, especially because the music options for structures was limited to those song also. I'd love to swap some of those tracks around for some musical variety on my end of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Got this on the Autumn sale and am thoroughly enjoying this honest to god walking simulator. I just got given a baseball cap and I adore the game's traversal system.