Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Android Blues posted:

Yeah, the tragic backstory and disaffected scientist who does crimes for a relatable reason thing were never part of his character until BTAS. He used to be just a goofy bald guy with a freeze ray.

It was a lot of stealing diamonds because people call them "ice."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Snackmar posted:

My absolute favourite example of this is from What If v1 #30 where Kingpin lures Spider-Man to Coney Island, where he has converted a ferris wheel seat into a flying attack bathtub. Also he has a laser cane.

Just in case it isn't clear from this coming from a What If, but the laser cane is something he actually had when he was a Spider-Man baddy.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Android Blues posted:

Yeah, the tragic backstory and disaffected scientist who does crimes for a relatable reason thing were never part of his character until BTAS. He used to be just a goofy bald guy with a freeze ray.

muscles like this! posted:

It was a lot of stealing diamonds because people call them "ice."

Wasn't he largely indistinguishable from the two or three other villains with freeze guns?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Pretty much. He was killed for a quick gag in a Chuck Dixon Robin mini-series just a bit before the cartoon debuted. He's definitely treated as kind of a nobody.
From Robin II #1, which came out in October 1991:

Hearts of Ice first aired on 9/7/1992.

I believe he next shows up alive in 1994 as part of Knightquest, where he's treated more seriously but does not quite have his cartoon backstory fully incorporated yet. He's also completely naked for the entire issue so no costume revamp at that point.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Nov 8, 2020

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Skwirl posted:

Wasn't he largely indistinguishable from the two or three other villains with freeze guns?

He did have the whole "needing to be cold" thing going on, so there was that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

muscles like this! posted:

He did have the whole "needing to be cold" thing going on, so there was that.

That was used to a pretty cool (haha) effect in the Adam West show where is layer was freezing but he had a remote that let him turn it on and off on individual floor tiles, so his henchmen could get around and he could trap Batman and Robin in a cell without bars.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Bring back Mirror Man. A mad scientist type villain whose gimmick is mirror poo poo and only has 2 major appearances. The biggest thing is he found out batman is Bruce Wayne and batman used that to drive the man insane. Not joking.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

There's already Mirror Master from the Flash

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

How many villains are scientists that were ridiculed and scorned by their colleagues that lead them to conduct a disastrous experiment on themselves?

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Has anyone ever died or been seriously injured from a danger room exercise?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
A student was tricked into killing himself in the DR in Whedons run.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Lobok posted:

There's already Mirror Master from the Flash

So? There's like twenty cold themed villains in the DCU.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I've been reading some early Defenders and there's a story thread about Valkyrie doing some time in jail, it doesn't last very long but is interesting. Has there been and extended storyline about a superhero in prison?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I guess it depends on what you mean by "extended" but Daredevil had Ed Brubaker's "The Devil in Cell Block D" which was six issues of Matt Murdock in prison. I don't know if you'll find a lot of stuff that goes longer than one story arc since superheroes in prison is kind of limited in what they can do.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Yeah, that's what I meant. Basically more than one issue or a short side story. Thanks.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
There was a healthy chunk of early Thunderbolts that followed Abe in prison as a recurring B-plot.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

It's not really "superheroes in prison," but Steve Gerber's Hard Time was about a teenage prisoner (a school shooter) who developed psychic powers while serving 50-to-life.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Frank's had at least 3 "gone to jail" storylines

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Although in Circle of Blood he's only in prison for like one issue.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Devil in Cell Block D is a really good story.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Bruce Wayne was framed for the murder of his forgotten ex girlfriend and spent about 4 issues in prison. Then he escaped. Then they found the real killer and the authorities seemed to not care that Bruce Wayne escaped from prison.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Devil in Cell Block D is a really good story.

It's the highlight of Brubaker's Daredevil run. Murdock, Fisk, Bullseye, and Frank Castle are all locked up together.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

It's the highlight of Brubaker's Daredevil run. Murdock, Fisk, Bullseye, and Frank Castle are all locked up together.

I know, it's kinda tragic it's his very first arc.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Madkal posted:

Bruce Wayne was framed for the murder of his forgotten ex girlfriend and spent about 4 issues in prison. Then he escaped. Then they found the real killer and the authorities seemed to not care that Bruce Wayne escaped from prison.

That's a pop culture problem in general where if you're framed and find the person who framed you, then you don't get into any trouble for all the crimes you committed while finding the person who framed you.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The only unrealistic part is a white billionaire going to jail for murder

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Retro Futurist posted:

The only unrealistic part is a white billionaire going to jail for murder

That guy who killed a reporter on his submarine went to jail, I don't know if he was a billionaire, but he was rich enough to have a private submarine with space for two people and enough elbow room to for one of them to decapitate the other.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Skwirl posted:

That guy who killed a reporter on his submarine went to jail, I don't know if he was a billionaire, but he was rich enough to have a private submarine with space for two people and enough elbow room to for one of them to decapitate the other.

He was completely broke.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Alhazred posted:

He was completely broke.

Why didn't he just sell the submarine then?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Skwirl posted:

And be homeless?

radlum
May 13, 2013

Skwirl posted:

I know, it's kinda tragic it's his very first arc.

Yeah; Brubaker did some interesting stuff, but he peaked in his first arc.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Skwirl posted:

It's almost as he wasn't a rational person.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

but i don't want to sell my submarine, i want to murder reporters in it.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
So, any news on what's taking Saga so long to start up again?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Edit: tried to answer about the break and now why it’s taking so long.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Anybody know what the first story of a badguy dressing up as the superhero was. I know Chameleon does it in Amazing Spider-Man #1, but superheroes had been around for 30 years by then, so I'd guess it's not the first.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cornwind Evil posted:

So, any news on what's taking Saga so long to start up again?

They're taking an extended break to figure out where they want to take the series. I don't think they gave a return time at all.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Detective Comics #27

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

They're taking an extended break to figure out where they want to take the series. I don't think they gave a return time at all.

BKV hinted it might be years.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

BKV hinted it might be years.

Is Fiona Staple doing any other books in the mean time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Her wikipedia doesn't have anything since Saga and a bit of Archie years ago. Image's website shows references to two books since Saga, which I believe were alt covers.