Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

joepinetree posted:

I am having an issue where the slats on my bed foundation sag on my side (im 260lb). I've been looking at different ways to reinforce it.

So far, I've come across 3 alternatives

- going to home depot and buying wood cut to the right dimensions to go in the gaps in the slats to reinforce them

- replace the slats entirely with heavy duty slats (0.75 inch) that can be bought on amazon or overstock for between 80 and 150

- Buy an ultra low profile box spring (tempurpedic has a 2 inch one) to put on top of the slats. (which costs about 300-400)

Anyone have any experience with any of these?

Why doesn't this guy have a box spring?

Also curious why vertical supports was not in the list of possible fixes. I'm also a big guy and we recently got a new bedroom set and went from an indestructible metal frame to a wood frame that had the potential to be problematic and if it turned out to be weak my plan was to cut 2x4s and install ~4 vertical supports but it turns out the bed has like a dozen 2x2 vertical supports so it seems like its good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

cailleask posted:

If I’m looking at a purple 3, is it better to get it from a retailer, or directly online? Last mattress we got was Serta iComfort from Macy’s, whose warranty was a joke. No thanks on that again!

weve had a purple 3 for 18 months now and love the poo poo out of it. Best mattress I've ever had.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

bird with big dick posted:

weve had a purple 3 for 18 months now and love the poo poo out of it. Best mattress I've ever had.

I’ve had a Purple 4 for a little over a year now and it’s the best thing.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

bird with big dick posted:

Why doesn't this guy have a box spring?

Because they're useless

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
I just had to take the foam topper off my bed. I realized how soft it had gotten, and how much I was sinking into the bed, and it was messing with my back. My mattress is old and beat up, but it's much firmer and more comfortable than the topper. I really need to get a new mattress, so here I am.

I've been thinking about a Purple queen mattress, but I could only really afford the basic model. How is that? Would it be worth it to get a Purple Pillow first to see how it feels? I could use a new pillow anyways.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
We have a purple 2 2.0 and it's great for us. We like things a bit more on the firm side though. I really like the old purple pillow, the new one is too lofty for me though as a side / back sleeper.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Mattress related. We got bed bugs for the first time in my nearly 30 year life... About 3 weeks after we got a new mattress. We're currently doing the 'cimexa my entire house' strategy because the landlord said "oh well sucks for you"

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.

Synastren posted:

Generally speaking, pain in shoulders and hips comes down to a lack of pressure relief. In other words, that is traditionally because the top of the mattress is too hard.

I have a Tempurpedic mattress. For the past few weeks, I have been sleeping on my father's old mattress. We moved in a hurry bc he sold the house which I lived in to move in with his partner. They are together and everything went into storage so the house could be staged. As his mattress weighs considerably less than TP and it seemed like a good idea. It was not.

This mattress is from Costco and I understand that different strokes for different folks but my stroke is apparently Tempurpedic. "Mine is memory foam too!" was a total lie.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
How long can one expect their bed to last? Having been separated from, and now reunited with, my bed, I'm happier than I was before but am not as comfortable as I remember feeling like I was when I got it. I think that it's possible that in the 10 years that I've had it, the memory foam has compressed a lot.

Is this something to expect of a memory foam mattress in ten years?

I'm primarily a stomach / side sleeper with chronic lower back pain.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

What are Black Friday/Xmas sales like on mattresses? Worth waiting for?

Going to be looking for a king size of some kind. Side sleeper, leaning more towards something durable than anything.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

The Rat posted:

What are Black Friday/Xmas sales like on mattresses? Worth waiting for?

Going to be looking for a king size of some kind. Side sleeper, leaning more towards something durable than anything.

Sorry about the delay, folks!

Black Friday sales will probably be fine. Traditionally, mattress sales don't much care for Black Friday, so it's hard to forecast appropriately. For that matter, the period of time between Thanksgiving and Xmas will be likely "meh" but the period between Xmas and New Years may be good.

Durability is generally something you get with a particular price tag (I'd expect any king sized mattress over 1k to be likely fine, unless you are noticeably over, say, 250 lbs), rather than any particular feel. As a tip, make sure you get enough pressure relief to accommodate hips and shoulders. If you are of the persuasion that firm denotes durability (common, but unfounded in modern mattresses afaik), look into something that is foam, or a sturdy hybrid, or a firm pillowtop.

Apologies to not responding to luscious in the thread. Things moved to PMs. Relatedly, apologies to folks looking for specific advice on products who live outside of the United States--while manufacturers are international, collections may not be, and I may not be able to pull specifications for products you may have available to you. I'll still help however I can, though!

Floofy
Jan 17, 2004

Synastren posted:

Sorry about the delay, folks!

Apologies to not responding to luscious in the thread. Things moved to PMs. Relatedly, apologies to folks looking for specific advice on products who live outside of the United States--while manufacturers are international, collections may not be, and I may not be able to pull specifications for products you may have available to you. I'll still help however I can, though!

Dang. I was going to ask why the higher end purple mattresses aren’t sold in Canada.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Floofy posted:

Dang. I was going to ask why the higher end purple mattresses aren’t sold in Canada.

My main guess would be based on the weight of the product, and the expense of international shipping. Those hybrids are a lot heavier than folks may realize; most of the weight is in the smart grid, but coils have their own weight as well.

For reference, their standard pillow is a shade over 10 pounds in weight (~4.5 kg), and is simply a pillow.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Floofy posted:

You can ask purple this directly, see what they say.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
synastren, do you ever get shoppers that just can't intuitively tell the difference between firmer and softer beds? ive been kinda for the last week thinking about buying a bed as ive sampled a bunch in stores, my own, friends etc and i couldnt for the life of me tell you which ones are firm or soft or which i even prefer without actually sleeping a night in them

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Verviticus posted:

synastren, do you ever get shoppers that just can't intuitively tell the difference between firmer and softer beds? ive been kinda for the last week thinking about buying a bed as ive sampled a bunch in stores, my own, friends etc and i couldnt for the life of me tell you which ones are firm or soft or which i even prefer without actually sleeping a night in them

Generally speaking folks are not good at parsing out what the difference is across different firmnesses. It's more useful from a buying perspective to identify what things disrupt your sleep (e.g., pressure, spinal alignment issues, etc.), and focus on determining if one mattress or another provides more relief from those disruptors. Firmness and softness are just composite measures of whether a product offers more support (i.e., promotes a straighter posture) or more pressure relief (i.e., allows for more pressure relief). If you know what your disruptors are, you are better equipped to key into a relative level of firmness--but be aware that there are specific attributes that can complicate selection!

For example, if a side sleeper wakes up and their arm is usually asleep or shoulder is sore, that is a pressure relief issue. In general, then, we should look on the softer side; that doesn't mean we go super soft or anything, though! In one of the weirdest episodes in my bed selling experience, I once worked with a lady of a certain advanced age who slept on her side, but pain in her shoulder kept her from falling asleep. We agreed that her bed was too firm, and explored some options. She fell in love with a hybrid with a very soft memory foam top. A few weeks after purchasing, she called, infuriated that while she could fall asleep in her desired position, she was waking up in the middle of the night, unable to sleep. What was actually transpiring was that the mattress was providing as much pressure relief as it could, and so she was able to maintain her position until she was comfortably asleep; as she stayed in that position, her pressure would still build on her joint, and she would wake up late at night with similar pain as before. As she had aged and sustained injury to that joint, she was no longer able to sleep that way, and no mattress that I am aware of was going to compensate for that physical damage. I postulated that, and she grudgingly came back in and reselected a similar mattress with less pressure relief on top (so that she could not fall asleep in that position), and it worked perfectly for her.

A good measure of pressure relief is how far you sink into the mattress. A good measure of support is how far your pelvic region sinks relative to your shoulders.

General advice for what to look for:
1) Does this mattress put pressure on your back in any area as you lay in your preferred sleeping position? (note: this can take several minutes to determine, but is of particular note to stomach sleepers)
2) Does this mattress put pressure on major pressure points, like hips and shoulders?
3) Do you start to feel hot in a few minutes in your typical sleeping position?

If you have specific questions, I'm glad to offer whatever help I can!

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
im chronically tired so nothing really disrupts my sleep. i just dont really feel rested after 8-10 hours and often have a headache as a result. before i go out and buy a new mattress or anything im probably going to try to see a sleep doctor, but i was just doing research now so id be a little more informed. thank you for that info!

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Verviticus posted:

im chronically tired so nothing really disrupts my sleep. i just dont really feel rested after 8-10 hours and often have a headache as a result. before i go out and buy a new mattress or anything im probably going to try to see a sleep doctor, but i was just doing research now so id be a little more informed. thank you for that info!

Fun fact from my previous life as a cognitive psychology PhD student: You will not remember waking up if you are awake for only a couple of minutes. The exact amount of time is fuzzy, but general consensus was (as of 5ish years ago) that you needed to be conscious for 15 minutes or so to remember waking up. Just because you don't know you're waking up doesn't mean you're staying asleep! :eng101:

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Synastren posted:

Fun fact from my previous life as a cognitive psychology PhD student

I've been meaning to ask about your mattress sales origin story and how these paths connected, as I've been reading this read for no explainable reason for 3+ years

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Scudworth posted:

I've been meaning to ask about your mattress sales origin story and how these paths connected, as I've been reading this read for no explainable reason for 3+ years

It's not nearly as interesting as you may expect.

My life blew up, I left my program, and my wife worked for the company. My tires were spinning as I was trying to figure out what to do with my life, and she goes "You should just work for us. It's easy, and you'd be good at it."

Turns out she was right.

There are a lot of perks to my academic background which express themselves (e.g., reducing behaviors and perceptions to operational definitions allows me to hone in on folks' sleep disruptors) to the benefit of both me and whomever I work with. It was definitely not worth the student debt.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Synastren posted:

Fun fact from my previous life as a cognitive psychology PhD student: You will not remember waking up if you are awake for only a couple of minutes. The exact amount of time is fuzzy, but general consensus was (as of 5ish years ago) that you needed to be conscious for 15 minutes or so to remember waking up. Just because you don't know you're waking up doesn't mean you're staying asleep! :eng101:

thats fair. i figure the doctor might tell me to buy a thing or use a thing to monitor my sleep to make sure this isnt happening. generally speaking though, ive always been fantastic at getting to sleep, never suffered from insomnia, obvious waking moments, etc. as a kid i used to set my alarm in a way that it would wake me up early a couple times before school because waking up and falling back asleep was so comfortable and easy that i got enjoyment out of it

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Verviticus posted:

Have you been tested for apnea? Chronic tiredness and waking up with headaches are common symptoms. Went away almost immediately for me when I started sleeping with a CPAP.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

no, though i'll try to see a sleep doctor in the coming weeks. i feel like it would be unusual - i dont snore and im in pretty good shape. i dont really have any of the normal risk factors as far as i know

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Verviticus posted:

thats fair. i figure the doctor might tell me to buy a thing or use a thing to monitor my sleep to make sure this isnt happening. generally speaking though, ive always been fantastic at getting to sleep, never suffered from insomnia, obvious waking moments, etc. as a kid i used to set my alarm in a way that it would wake me up early a couple times before school because waking up and falling back asleep was so comfortable and easy that i got enjoyment out of it

I would have described my sleeping exactly the same (no problems falling asleep, don't wake up during the night, use the snooze alarm and am able to go right back to sleep, etc.). I have moderate-to-severe apnea.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Thanatosian posted:

I would have described my sleeping exactly the same (no problems falling asleep, don't wake up during the night, use the snooze alarm and am able to go right back to sleep, etc.). I have moderate-to-severe apnea.

are you overweight/do you have any other obvious risk factors?

either way, id be interested in hearing how you figured it out, what your treatments were, did you resolve it? im not particularly looking forward to the idea of sleeping with a cpap

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Verviticus posted:

are you overweight/do you have any other obvious risk factors?

either way, id be interested in hearing how you figured it out, what your treatments were, did you resolve it? im not particularly looking forward to the idea of sleeping with a cpap

I am overweight, and I do snore.

The other things that tend to go along with apnea a lot of the time are bruxism (teeth grinding) and GERD (acid reflux), if your dentist has mentioned either of those to you.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

So have had my current mattress for over 10 years now and looking to get a new one. Currently wife and I are interested in the avocado pillow top. Anyone happen to have that or at least point me in a direction of trusted reviews about it?

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Synastren posted:

Pillows are tricky beasts, best tried and coupled with your mattress, as the same pillow will feel a bit different on a different mattress. Unfortunately, that's not usually a possibility with online mattress purchases.

Short heuristics to finding the right pillow:
The thickness should be determined by how you most commonly sleep. Thickest for side sleepers, thinner for back sleepers, thinnest for stomach sleepers.

The goal of a pillow is to fill the space between your head and your mattress. You want to try to keep your spine roughly aligned, especially near the base of your neck. The most common neckache issues are due to a pillow that is either too tall or too short.

The squish of a pillow is the most subjective part. In general, I find that folks who gravitate towards softer beds like the feel of firmer pillows more, and vice versa.

If you're not spending at least $20 on a pillow, it will likely be garbage--imo $40 is a good starting point for a decent quality pillow.

ed: Almost forgot about the one thing folks don't usually consider with respect to pillow: weight. For example, I've heard nothing but good things about the Purple pillow... except that it weighs roughly 10 lbs. :v:

This is a (very good) old post on pillows. Question - what do yo recommend for someone who sleeps on stomach & side and often switches positions throughout the night? It seems like this is a hard trade off given your heuristic around thinnest for stomach and thickest for side... I'm having a hard time imagining anything other than just trying to swap pillows when you change positions, which is basically what I do now, but often times I'm not really conscious enough to swap pillows and wind up with a sore neck/shoulders from sleeping on the thick pillow on my stomach or the thin one on my side.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

This is a (very good) old post on pillows. Question - what do yo recommend for someone who sleeps on stomach & side and often switches positions throughout the night? It seems like this is a hard trade off given your heuristic around thinnest for stomach and thickest for side... I'm having a hard time imagining anything other than just trying to swap pillows when you change positions, which is basically what I do now, but often times I'm not really conscious enough to swap pillows and wind up with a sore neck/shoulders from sleeping on the thick pillow on my stomach or the thin one on my side.

There are a lot of specialty pillows for back/side sleepers which usually involve tapering down in the center with loftier sides; that could maybe work for you, but would require some awkward pillow position. I have a couple of ideas, so if you want to try a few and report back, I'd find that extremely helpful.

Idea 1: two thinner pillows, overlapping around the center. You should be on your side where the pillows overlap, then when you roll forward onto the tail, it should be much flatter.
Idea 2: high loft foam pillow, with significantly rounded edges. I'm thinking something shaped like the mid loft Tempur Adapt Pro pillow. It's a similar idea to the former, but would perhaps require getting a new pillow.

Unrelated pillow usage tips!
If you sleep on your back, try tucking the pillow an inch or two under your shoulders. That ensures that the pillow does not crane your neck and constrict your airway.
If you sleep on your side, try angling the pillow along your jawline. It should provide superior support, and generally feel better.
If you have a contour pillow (one of those shaped pillows with a scalloped shape), rotate the pillow based on your sleeping position: on your side, the thicker side should be under your neck, while the thinner if you're on your back!

Synastren fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Nov 20, 2020

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Might wanna check that last sentence there

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Synastren posted:

There are a lot of specialty pillows for back/side sleepers which usually involve tapering down in the center with loftier sides; that could maybe work for you, but would require some awkward pillow position. I have a couple of ideas, so if you want to try a few and report back, I'd find that extremely helpful.

Idea 1: two thinner pillows, overlapping around the center. You should be on your side where the pillows overlap, then when you roll forward onto the tail, it should be much flatter.
Idea 2: high loft foam pillow, with significantly rounded edges. I'm thinking something shaped like the mid loft Tempur Adapt Pro pillow. It's a similar idea to the former, but would perhaps require getting a new pillow.

Unrelated pillow usage tips!
If you sleep on your back, try tucking the pillow an inch or two under your shoulders. That ensures that the pillow does not crane your neck and constrict your airway.
If you sleep on your side, try angling the pillow along your jawline. It should provide superior support, and generally feel better.
If you have a contour pillow (one of those shaped pillows with a scalloped shape), rotate the pillow based on your sleeping position: on your side, the thicker side should be under your neck, while the thinner if you're on your side!

Thanks, this is helpful. It's also making me consider something that maybe is topic-adjacent, so not sure if you have any perspective. Maybe it warrants its own A/T thread but I'll start here...

Should I just train myself to sleep on my back & side instead of stomach & back? Is this something you've advised or have experience with?

I did a little searching for articles on this, and it seems like the common recommendations boil down to:
- have a good pillow for sleeping on your back
- put a pillow under your knees for hip & lower back support
- put pillows around you, to support your arms if that helps or to partly cover your face if that sensation is relaxing
- stretch before bed, especially hamstrings & hip flexors

I figure it makes sense to try this out, since it seems easier to get a pillow setup that can work for back/side than stomach/side, and since it seems like back sleeping is the best for long-term spinal health anyway.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Warning to anybody with a Zinus mattress: they contain fiberglass. If it has a removable cover, or has a cut in it anywhere, you might be risking spewing fiberglass everywhere.

Found this story about a couple who washed their mattress cover and covered their place in fiberglass: https://www.kmov.com/news/news-4-investigates-the-danger-lurking-in-your-mattress/article_2bb77cc2-4eb7-11ea-b4c6-0319ba20d45f.html

And according to this list of what mattresses do and do not have fiberglass:

quote:

Zinus’ response:
“All our mattresses contain glass fiber.”

If your Zinus mattress has any holes in it, patch them immediately. If it has a removable cover, do not remove it.

I’ll be putting a new mattress on my wish list.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Pollyanna posted:

Warning to anybody with a Zinus mattress: they contain fiberglass. If it has a removable cover, or has a cut in it anywhere, you might be risking spewing fiberglass everywhere.

This came up in this thread exactly a year ago. Nearly to the day, which is weird.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Trying to figure out buying a mattress during Covid is a special kind of troublesome.

We're not comfortable going into a mattress store so we're stuck going online. According to sleep like the dead and some other reviewers that seem to be unbiased, Saatva seems to be kind of the best brand?

We're debating stepping up the quality to their latex hybrid model but not entirely sure.

Anyone have a Saatva? Is there a general consensus as to like... what the best way to go is if that's not the best brand? We're mainly looking to buy from a company that has a good return policy and would like a mattress that gives us at least 5 years, the one we're on now started sagging after a couple and that was a bummer. Budget isn't a huge concern. I'm a relatively big guy 6"2 210 and my partner is teeny but she can fall asleep on anything and pretty much doesn't care. I'm a stomach/side sleeper.

Chili fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Nov 27, 2020

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Chili posted:

Anyone have a Saatva?

Saatva in this thread - https://forums.somethingawful.com/query.php?action=results&qid=1606457831

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Link was dead but I went searching back through the thread. Doesn't seem like it's the knock-out brand I was hoping for. Didn't realize it was basically another biab. I do know we tried a purple a couple of years back and that still seems to be a popular pick. So yeah, guess that may be the way we go as well. I basically just want someone to say "hey get this one". Like yeah, that's ordinarily ridiculous advice but since we can't really try them, we'll go for 'quality' and if it's not our jive we'll return it.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Chili posted:

Link was dead

Sorry, it was just the results page from using the shiny new "search in this thread" box, (praise be to Jeffery, Jeffery is good) I didn't know the links could die.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
What's a good platform bed frame for memory foam mattresses that doesn't destroy your shins and toes (Ikea Malm) and is going to be quiet during vigorous activities?

This looks nice, but I'm pretty sure the slats are too far apart for a memory foam mattress

Not as nice looking, but seems sturdy enough that it should be quiet

Shyfted One fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Nov 30, 2020

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
So I just got a Helix Dusk, seemed like it was a well rated BIAB for the price and their site directed me to the Dusk with the type-of-sleeper tool they have, of which I'm primarily a stomach sleeper. It's a hybrid, and their middle firmness option besides the Midnight.

I'm coming from a latex foam mattress (Dreamfoam from Amazon) which was generally much softer but slept very hot. That being said I had very little discomfort/back pain on the Dreamfoam, at least outside of specific times that were likely work related.

I've had the Dusk about a week now, and I'm noticing decent back pain the middle of my spine in the morning, right above the center of my back but below my shoulders. What I'm curious about is if this is likely related break-in/adjustment period for such a change, swapping to a firmer mattress, both, or something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Mazz posted:

So I just got a Helix Dusk, seemed like it was a well rated BIAB for the price and their site directed me to the Dusk with the type-of-sleeper tool they have, of which I'm primarily a stomach sleeper. It's a hybrid, and their middle firmness option besides the Midnight.

I'm coming from a latex foam mattress (Dreamfoam from Amazon) which was generally much softer but slept very hot. That being said I had very little discomfort/back pain on the Dreamfoam, at least outside of specific times that were likely work related.

I've had the Dusk about a week now, and I'm noticing decent back pain the middle of my spine in the morning, right above the center of my back but below my shoulders. What I'm curious about is if this is likely related break-in/adjustment period for such a change, swapping to a firmer mattress, both, or something else.

It's been a week, so it's difficult to really parse out. If it persists for another week or two, it's worth reevaluating!

I'm routinely frustrated trying to find exact specifications of online-only BIABs. Their vague hand-waving specs pages only serve to make it difficult to make an expert opinion. :v: