Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Zat posted:

"These people are beyond disgusting" is such a ridiculous overreaction.

personally I put people that blow vapes into consoles on the same level as Adolf hitler and JK Rowling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I've heard of cloud storage but this is ridiculous!

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
Is anyone having this issue with Yakuza: Like A Dragon - When I start it up it hangs on the startup screen, but the game never loads? I've been sitting on the screen for 10 Minutes and nothing doing.

EDIT: Gonna Uninstall/Redownload, see if that fixes it.

Fancy Hat! fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Nov 11, 2020

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The Sean posted:

Is Star Wars Squadrons okay? Im hoping its somewhat casual compared to a real fligjt sim. I like the SW universe more than the average person but Im not an absolute fan boy.

yeah its better than ok but its not stellar imo. the sp is very short and its missions have a little variety but not enough to make more dogfights with the ai interesting the whole way through the game.
the mp is very fun but also kinda bare bones and needs some work that it won't get to flesh it out and fix some annoying things like spawns being kinda lovely in the fleet battle or the small number of good maps.

if you have vr its apparently a must buy game but even without it I think it earns its budget price pretty easily.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
https://twitter.com/blockeveryacct/status/1326537349518430210?s=19

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

The Sean posted:

Is Star Wars Squadrons okay? Im hoping its somewhat casual compared to a real fligjt sim. I like the SW universe more than the average person but Im not an absolute fan boy.

Remember if you have Gamepass you can play the 10 hour trials for newer EA games.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Real hurthling! posted:

yeah its better than ok but its not stellar imo. the sp is very short and its missions have a little variety but not enough to make more dogfights with the ai interesting the whole way through the game.
the mp is very fun but also kinda bare bones and needs some work that it won't get to flesh it out and fix some annoying things like spawns being kinda lovely in the fleet battle or the small number of good maps.

if you have vr its apparently a must buy game but even without it I think it earns its budget price pretty easily.

Thank you for responding.

Red Warrior posted:

Remember if you have Gamepass you can play the 10 hour trials for newer EA games.

Thank you, as well. I didn't realize that about Gamepass, and I do have it so the news is a big deal for my question.
Edit: I have the normal xbox gamepass but it looks like it's trying to charge me extra for EA Play.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Nov 11, 2020

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

The Sean posted:

Thank you for responding.

Thank you, as well. I didn't realize that about Gamepass, and I do have it so the news is a big deal for my question.
Edit: I have the normal xbox gamepass but it looks like it's trying to charge me extra for EA Play.

Yeah EA Play stuff including the 10h trials isn't included with standard Game Pass, but you can just convert it into GP Ultimate if you want. (And if you want to go back to non-Ultimate Game Pass later, you can just wait until your Ultimate expires and get normal Game Pass again)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Isn’t the Squadrons trial different from the usual ones because the campaign can be beaten entirely in 10hr?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Isn’t the Squadrons trial different from the usual ones because the campaign can be beaten entirely in 10hr?

Same when Battlefront 2 was on "10 hour trial" mode, you were only allowed to play the first 3 campaign missions because the campaign is only 5 hours long.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Milosh posted:

Anyone try the Series S out yet? My wife would be less mad at me if I got it.
Yes. Not a lot to say about it though!

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
Costco near me had bundles of Series S

Milosh posted:

There was a dozen or so Series S consoles just sitting pretty at my local Costco yesterday so I picked one up. It came bundled with a 2TB Seagate external drive that I can only install previous gen games onto.

I'm pretty happy with it so far! It's smaller and cheaper than the big boxes, and for an extra CAD $5 or so per month I get access to even more Game Pass games than on PC.

e: It's got Blast Corp on it

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zat posted:

Remember though that you can plug in any old USB hard drive or SSD and use it for all the games that are not specifically Series X/S enhanced (and it works as cold storage for games that are).

Hmm...so that doesn't effect the quality of the gameplay of load speeds? I have an SSD in my PS4 Pro, but I also have the original HD, so I'm fine with just swapping that in.

The SSD is a samsung 860 EVO 2tb. So I just need an enclosure, I assume?

Thanks, that's a hell of a nice surprise for me. I mean non-SSD are super cheap, but once you go SSD you just can't go back (assuming you're using the device regularly).

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

Milosh posted:

I have one and it’s a massive upgrade from a One S.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fancy Hat! posted:

Is anyone having this issue with Yakuza: Like A Dragon - When I start it up it hangs on the startup screen, but the game never loads? I've been sitting on the screen for 10 Minutes and nothing doing.

EDIT: Gonna Uninstall/Redownload, see if that fixes it.

Restart the console. I had this exact issue and it fixed it.

Something is up with Yak 7 because its one of those quick resume disabled games

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Hmm...so that doesn't effect the quality of the gameplay of load speeds? I have an SSD in my PS4 Pro, but I also have the original HD, so I'm fine with just swapping that in.

The SSD is a samsung 860 EVO 2tb. So I just need an enclosure, I assume?

Thanks, that's a hell of a nice surprise for me. I mean non-SSD are super cheap, but once you go SSD you just can't go back (assuming you're using the device regularly).

I'm sure it does affect load times to some extent but, according to people, load times are still much faster than on Xbox One X even when using a mechanical HDD.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zat posted:

I'm sure it does affect load times to some extent but, according to people, load times are still much faster than on Xbox One X even when using a mechanical HDD.

Oh no I meant putting the original PS4 Pro mechanical HD back in pro and taking the SSD and putting it in the Series X.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

An interesting decision

https://twitter.com/Halo/status/1326525348234846210?s=20

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Oh no I meant putting the original PS4 Pro mechanical HD back in pro and taking the SSD and putting it in the Series X.

It already has an SSD? I think this is why we're all confused

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I understood that, I was just saying load times are still good even with a mechanical HDD. With an external SSD I'm sure it's even better.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Looking at the visor reflection, headless chief is giving a flower to a guy waving at him near a humvee

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is there a separate gamepass thread or is this the de facto one?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Barudak posted:

It already has an SSD? I think this is why we're all confused

Nope, it was mechanical. I remember how fast Destiny 2 jumped in load times.

Zat posted:

I understood that, I was just saying load times are still good even with a mechanical HDD. With an external SSD I'm sure it's even better.

Ah cool I understand.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Might as well be here, speak friend.

I wish Eastshade were better

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
E: nevermind

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Gamepass Thread: Just Buy It

Seriously if it had Lego games for my son and wife it would be perfect, but jesus christ the value on that thing is insane.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Barudak posted:

Haven't yet played it myself but it's on my radar. What don't you like about it?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Barudak posted:

Might as well be here, speak friend.

What’s wrong with it? It’s downloading as I’m typing this and looks like a chill game

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Mighty number 9 seems unplayable on x
https://m.twitch.tv/clip/MotionlessViscousKittenBCWarrior

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Its doing us a favor.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What’s wrong with it? It’s downloading as I’m typing this and looks like a chill game

For what should be a really chill game about painting cool landscapes theres a lot of impediments to you doing that that aren't fun. Theres a very boring but mandatory crafting system, invisible walls that tell you point blank "earn this much currency to progress", slower than necessary top movement speed, a lack of a good inventory and simultaneously why is there so much inventory, and a very restrictive day/night cycle where if you're out doors at night it boots you back to the last bed you rested at.

Im enamored with the concept but after dealing with all those issues I just fired up Yakuza 7 and relegated it to the "maybe Ill come back pile"

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Digital foundry did a few videos on load times of different types of external drives and even mechanical was faster than the one X, but external SSDs were CRAZY fast.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

RodShaft posted:

Digital foundry did a few videos on load times of different types of external drives and even mechanical was faster than the one X, but external SSDs were CRAZY fast.

What's the best bang / $ external drive? The ~$100 I'm seeing for 500GB feels really steep, given that you can get a 1TB internal PCIe for that cost.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.

Barudak posted:

Something is up with Yak 7 because its one of those quick resume disabled games

Odd because it did a Quick Resume? (But that was before it had trouble starting.... so that might be connected.)

I ended up doing a reinstall and that fixed it. SHould have tried a full shut off, haha.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

What's the best bang / $ external drive? The ~$100 I'm seeing for 500GB feels really steep, given that you can get a 1TB internal PCIe for that cost.

Just get an internal one + an enclosure.

The pre built ones are pretty terrible value.

You can get a really good 1TB SSD and and enclosure for $100.

SSD is absolutely the way to go with these new consoles.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Elmon posted:

I have to mess around with the settings because my x900e isn’t even recognizing hdr on Xbox

Its only HDMI 2 and 3 that have full bandwidth and IIRC you have to set them to enhanced hdmi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNpK8dFCJO8

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
When I installed Rock Band 4 the disc drive was really loving loud. Is that normal? And then it didn't start downloading my ~40 dlc songs, but that seems more like an issue with the game than the system.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Akuma posted:

Trip report: Bright Memory is not a good game. It's like modern Doom but real janky, and not in a particularly good way. High hopes for the sequel!!!

Out of curiosity, janky how? If they managed to leave in the settings menu they might have also left out the Xbox tuned config, but in any case: lol

Edit: the lol was apparently on me for not refreshing

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Monday_ posted:

When I installed Rock Band 4 the disc drive was really loving loud. Is that normal?
I noticed the same when installing Yakuza. Might just be like a hyperspeed read mode used when installing games. I'll try a regular Blu-ray movie and see how that sounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MarcusSA posted:

Just get an internal one + an enclosure.

The pre built ones are pretty terrible value.

You can get a really good 1TB SSD and and enclosure for $100.

SSD is absolutely the way to go with these new consoles.

Yeah, it is really one of those "This is the Future" from AT&T commercials that Tom Sellack did in the 1990s (actually those were pretty drat on point in terms of prediction), like you feel like you should have a flying car after watching boot up to Windows go from 2.5 minutes to 20 seconds.

For what it's worth I really like my Samsung SSD in terms of build quality and how it's been. Then again I'm not sure if SSDs have gotten to the point where like flash drives, even a store brand one, is fine.