Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Soricidus posted:

seriously I’d be hammering the button to give apple money if they’d just make a high-end macbook without the goddamn touchbar. it’s literally a dealbreaker.

I’d pay extra to not have it, timb, for real

for a while the touchbar was a $200 option on the 13" models and it was funny looking at that and thinking "i'd pay $200 to not have a touchbar"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

the no touchbar version also had only 2 USB ports versus 4 on the touchbar version

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
good poo poo today. ordered an mba for the wife. stoked about the mini, I’ll be buying one as soon as my Apple friends can get the on Friends and Family employee discount.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Juul-Whip posted:

the no touchbar version also had only 2 USB ports versus 4 on the touchbar version

who cares you still need to buy a dongle for anything useful anyway

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Jenny Agutter posted:

lol whered you find this picture

Check out more on https://twitter.com/uncovermac?lang=en or https://www.instagram.com/uncovermac/

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

the touhcbar is cool, I use mine all the time :shobon:

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

FCKGW posted:

same with that goldenchaos thing it actually is great

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

FCKGW posted:

I’ll say I use it more frequently than the old physical buttons, in that I have to press the volume or brightness controls multiple times before they start working.

in 20 years of using Macs, I never thought about muting my computer outside of the half-second it takes to press one physical button, until the Touch Bar came along. thanks timb

thimb

e: lol that ios title caps “Touch Bar” in autocorrect gently caress off you clowns

Scott Forstall fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Nov 11, 2020

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
tim delivered unto us the silicon wafers, inscribed with the word of stebe

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

the air is the only one from this lineup that makes sense to me. a passive cooled laptop that’s not too slow. you don’t lose any ports compared to the previous generation and it comes with the same amount of RAM. what’s the benefit of air cooling the same chip in the pro and mini? higher sustained peak performance which only matters in a handful of situations? situations where you are probably also wanting to connect more than one external monitor? forget it.

I would buy the air since it solves the biggest complaint about the previous generation: how slow they were with the lovely Intel low power chips. otherwise wait for a future gen of the pro (or desktops) where the platform will be truly unleashed, you’ll be able to get more than the bare minimum of ram and you’ll get more than just 2 ports for hooking up all your dongles.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

look what steve has wrought

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

each chip infused with an infinitesimal quantity of his blood

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
https://twitter.com/rafahari/status/1326461689047511040

really dont like the big font titlebars coming up in the next macos

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
ugh. strong desktop linux vibes

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

for a moment i thought the giant radiuses on the corners was in the actual application (as some kind of iphone nod), fooled a bit by the title bar buttons being moved very far into the window, but that's just twitter being bad as usual.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

poty posted:

lol that looks garbage

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

“with this big new ui update all the icons are now identical identical for consiste-“ *farrrttttttt*

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
Windows having rounded corners on a display without rounded corners is really dumb. Just wasted real estate.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
and yet you leave spaces between words :thunk:

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
so i guess 16" is the mbp to get. big sur more like big poop

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Granite Octopus posted:

“with this big new ui update all the icons are now identical identical for consiste-“ *farrrttttttt*

icons are supposed to look different from each other, size, shape and color are the 3 most basic ways humans distinguish things from each other

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

qirex posted:

icons are supposed to look different from each other, size, shape and color are the 3 most basic ways humans distinguish things from each other

what about smell

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

fart simpson posted:

what about smell

there are people who unironically want smell-o-vision and i can barely think of anything i want the internet to be able to make me experience less than smell

Juul-Whip posted:

the air is the only one from this lineup that makes sense to me. a passive cooled laptop that’s not too slow. you don’t lose any ports compared to the previous generation and it comes with the same amount of RAM. what’s the benefit of air cooling the same chip in the pro and mini? higher sustained peak performance which only matters in a handful of situations? situations where you are probably also wanting to connect more than one external monitor? forget it.

I would buy the air since it solves the biggest complaint about the previous generation: how slow they were with the lovely Intel low power chips. otherwise wait for a future gen of the pro (or desktops) where the platform will be truly unleashed, you’ll be able to get more than the bare minimum of ram and you’ll get more than just 2 ports for hooking up all your dongles.

i'm pretty into the mac mini. with that said i wonder if we'll see mods to add active cooling to increase the length of time it can run all-out before being thermally constrained, or if it's sufficiently locked down in firmware to make that not matter

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

fart simpson posted:

what about smell

Why do you think they’re called organic LEDs? Smell-o-vision is here!
e: fb

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
after studying the issue for 40 million hours, our team of 1,000 ivy league grad design gurus realized that 2011 gnome 3 was the peak of Design

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That's weird, since everyone knows it was aqua 2002

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Isn't 5nm like incredibly small? Intel is still on 14 or some poo poo and AMD is 11?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Schadenboner posted:

Isn't 5nm like incredibly small? Intel is still on 14 or some poo poo and AMD is 11?

Afaik, and I am by no means a lithographist, it depends on how you measure it and what you measure.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

fart simpson posted:

what about smell

you smell terrible so what?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
i might get the mbp air or the mbp but i’m going to wait for the reviews either way

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

if the keyboard isn't too much of a disaster on the new air i'll consider getting the cheapest one for couch shitposting

the price premium for 16gb of ram and 1tb of storage is too obscene to consider

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

mediaphage posted:

there are people who unironically want smell-o-vision and i can barely think of anything i want the internet to be able to make me experience less than smell

i'm pretty into the mac mini. with that said i wonder if we'll see mods to add active cooling to increase the length of time it can run all-out before being thermally constrained, or if it's sufficiently locked down in firmware to make that not matter

the Mac mini and mbp have fans, only the MacBook Air is fanless

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

dunno why you guys are so worried about virtualization you can just use the win10 arm build

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

poty posted:

Apple: Feels like they only got halfway through the redesign.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

FCKGW posted:

the Mac mini and mbp have fans, only the MacBook Air is fanless

yeah im an idiot and just realized that. mini supremacy, I kinda wish I could justify it right now

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Schadenboner posted:

the numbers don't have much relation to feature size anymore, but yes intel is on a comically large process compared to everyone else

i'm sure 14nm+++++++++ will fix everything this time though

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

i want to see what happens when someone tries to update xcode on a fanless air. doing that causes my current macbook to go into meltdown mode and become uncomfortably warm even with the fan at full blast

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The_Franz posted:

i want to see what happens when someone tries to update xcode on a fanless air. doing that causes my current macbook to go into meltdown mode and become uncomfortably warm even with the fan at full blast

apple has full control over the absolute maximum tdp of the chip so it'll probably just be like an ipad going full bore instead of whatever it is that intel does with boost behavior

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

dunno why you guys are so worried about virtualization you can just use the win10 arm build

who will be the sole hacker trying to port win10 arm to the new mbp? who amongst us is brave enough to dare? bold enough to venture to a new land from which none have returned?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

hobbesmaster posted:

apple has full control over the absolute maximum tdp of the chip so it'll probably just be like an ipad going full bore instead of whatever it is that intel does with boost behavior

an ipad or iphone going full bore can easily become uncomfortable to touch in spots so let's hope they're a little more aggressive for the laptop