Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
How about a longform listicle?

Lest We Forget the Horrors: A Catalog of Trump’s Worst Cruelties, Collusions, Corruptions, and Crimes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Lol, “ATROCITY KEY.” The sloppy-wet big boy president has committed so many wrongs that they need to be color-coded.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

I've been retreating from current events for emotional health reasons, but I came across this Longform about some guys who were dumb and eager enough to take a canoe down the Mississippi River during the 2011 flood. It also alludes to a how the river itself has changed. Makes me want to reread Mark Twain's retrospectives about the river.

https://www.outsideonline.com/1886261/57-feet-rising?page=all

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

The Students Left Behind by Remote Learning [propublica]

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/EricLevitz/status/1313893493132201986

HouseOfLeaves99
Mar 20, 2009

As a teacher in a Title 1 school in Georgia, this hit close to home. Had to stop reading about a quarter of the way through. This year has been heartbreaking so far.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

I Called Everyone in Jeffrey Epstein’s Little Black Book - What I learned about rich people, conspiracy, “genius,” Ghislaine, stand-up comedy, and evil from 2,000 phone calls

quote:

Jeffrey Epstein’s little black book is one of the most cursed documents ever compiled in this miserable, dying country. Totaling 97 pages and containing the names, numbers, and addresses of a considerable cross section of the global elite, Epstein’s personal contact book first turned up in a courtroom in 2009 after his former butler, Alfredo Rodriguez, tried to sell it to lawyers representing Epstein’s victims for $50,000. Rodriguez described the book, apparently assembled by Epstein’s employees, as the “Holy Grail.” It is annotated with cryptic marginalia—stars next to certain entries, arrows pointing toward others–and the names of at least 38 people are circled for reasons that aren’t totally clear. There are 1,571 names in all, with roughly 5,000 phone numbers and thousands of emails and home addresses. There are celebrities, princes and princesses, high-profile scientists, artists from all over the world, all alongside some of the world’s most powerful oligarchs and political leaders—people like Prince Andrew (circled), Ehud Barak (circled), Donald Trump (circled).

Epstein’s little black book isn’t little at all—it’s gargantuan. Its defining feature is its size and thoroughness, and there are just as many boring numbers as exciting ones–for every Jordanian princess there are three reflexologists from Boca. The listings are at times preposterously detailed, often containing additional names and numbers for people’s emergency contacts, their parents, their siblings, their friends, even their children, all alongside hundreds of car phones, yacht phones, guest houses, and private office lines. Some individuals have dozens of numbers and addresses listed, while others list just a single number and first name. Epstein collected people, and if you ever had any interaction with him or Ghislaine Maxwell, his onetime girlfriend and alleged accomplice, you more than likely ended up in this book, and then several years later you received a call from me.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I wonder if that childhood friend of Epstein's asked to be quoted in the entirety to make sure he couldn't be taken out of context. Die alone, scum.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
That was a good article, I liked this bit especially:

quote:

After Epstein’s arrest in 2019, a media narrative coalesced around the question of his strange place in the global elite: Epstein the master salesman, a man who had skillfully conned his way into the world’s most powerful circles, fooling everyone in the process. But after my travels through the book, after hearing more of the petty gossip and childish drama of the people who rule our world, I realized this was obviously incorrect. Built into the premise of Epstein the mastermind scammer is the notion that some kind of legitimate path to a legitimate global aristocracy exists. To call Epstein a grifter is to assume he circumvented some genuine meritocratic world order, where the “real” virtuosos dutifully climb the “real” ranks into the oligarchy, powered by nothing but their native talents.

The truth is that the elite world that Epstein ascended into, the one I tapped into by way of the black book, is populated with hordes of loathsome, boring, untalented people living their bumbling, idiotic lives while just so happening to wield some share of the preposterous global bounty that he and the rest were after. For all the mystery surrounding Epstein’s fortune, its existence is hardly more inscrutable than the wealth of any of his other billionaire peers. He earned it the same way they all did, which is to say precisely not at all.

This wasn’t some masterful hack into the global aristocracy. It’s what everyone does. It’s what the whole thing is. There is no scam here. It’s grifters grifting grifters all the way down.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/newrepublic/status/1316008325742505984

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

The Great Grift of Grafton

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

These are my absolute favorite articles, when Libertarians implode trying to implement libertarianism. I ESPECIALLY like it when their solution is to sue somebody. Any more of these would be appreciated.

Here is a play by play of an overreaction to antifa-supersoldiers in Forks, Washington, of all places:

https://www.wired.com/story/antifa-social-media-rumor-forks-washington/

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
I've been looking for an article for a while and mabye you guys could help me. It was an description of what it was like to be on the 'set' of 'Eden', back in 2016. And the mayhem that ensued. My google-fu is failing me.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

bollig posted:

These are my absolute favorite articles, when Libertarians implode trying to implement libertarianism. I ESPECIALLY like it when their solution is to sue somebody. Any more of these would be appreciated.

Here is a play by play of an overreaction to antifa-supersoldiers in Forks, Washington, of all places:

Older one in case you missed it a few years ago https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/06/30/colorado-springs-libertarian-experiment-america-215313

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

love it, thanks

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Pro-click. There's a lot of good insight towards the end, not just "how I found stuff that should have been secret just lying there on the Internet".

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

bollig posted:

Not to hand it to them or anything, but operating courts to settle private disputes is one thing libertarians absolutely believe the government should be doing. They are 100% behind the idea that they should have access to an organized system of thuggery they can use to bludgeon the underclass in order to protect their own wealth while extracting the last few drops of blood from those without the resources to use the courts to their own advantage.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

bollig posted:

In 8th grade our school had us all break into groups and do a weeklong trip to an area of the state as part of our civics class. My group had the Olympic Peninsula and while it is an extraordinarily beautiful part of the state my one memory of the day we spent in Forks is the two thirty year old guys in a pickup truck who catcalled the 13 year old girls in our group.

So. Yeah.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

How wealthy parents are using niche sports like squash, fencing and rowing to get their kids into Ivy League schools. And failing.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2020/11/squash-lacrosse-niche-sports-ivy-league-admissions/616474/

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Cervixalot posted:

How wealthy parents are using niche sports like squash, fencing and rowing to get their kids into Ivy League schools. And failing.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2020/11/squash-lacrosse-niche-sports-ivy-league-admissions/616474/

quote:

“The guys who get recruited to the Ivies—it turns out these guys are beasts,” she said. “I saw them at showcases. They were like stallions.”

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Cervixalot posted:

The crazy thing is that until covid, I'd think there were probably more athletic scholarships available than ever before. They're just not hoity-toity athletics and not at hoity-toity schools. You know what was growing? Scholarships for fishing and video gaming.

If this hell world recovers enough, I'm thinking that women's wrestling scholarships will be on the rise as well. Men's wrestling has been in a freefall for a few decades at the college level, but the amount of women in amateur wrestling is skyrocketing.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
The Verge on the Wisconsin Foxconn plant that never was:

quote:

Multiple employees recall seeing people cry in the office. “The best is when you’re in the elevator with somebody and then they just scream out of nowhere,” said an employee who experienced this several times. “They’ve had enough, because things don’t make sense here.”

“Imagine being in a job where you don’t really know if it’s real or not. Or you know it’s not real, but you don’t know it’s not real. It’s a constant thing you’re doing in your head day after day,” said one employee, who returned to the rented building Trump had spoken at, where workers had been assembling TVs, only to find the line shut down and the lights dimmed a couple of weeks after the photo op was over. “I think all of us were on the verge of a major breakdown.”

It was just the beginning. Foxconn would spend the next two years jumping from idea to idea — fish farms, exporting ice cream, storing boats — in an increasingly surreal search for some way to generate money from a doomed project. Frequent leadership changes, a reluctance to spend money, and a domineering corporate culture would create an atmosphere employees described as toxic. Many of the employees The Verge spoke with have since left the company, and all of them requested anonymity out of fear of retaliation. It has been a baffling ordeal for the people who thought they were building the Silicon Valley of the Midwest — “Wisconn Valley,” Walker called it — all the more so because so many others still believe the vision.

“All people see is the eighth wonder of the world,” said an employee. “I was there and it’s not real. I mean, it’s not. This is something I can’t talk about ever again, because people think you’re crazy, like none of this could ever happen. How could this happen in the US?”

https://www.theverge.com/21507966/foxconn-empty-factories-wisconsin-jobs-loophole-trump

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Thank you for posting that. Sad to read, but I'm glad the truth of the debacle was explained so clearly. And drat the Rebublicans to hell for what they've done, and continue to do to this state.

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019
Dammit, I came to post that Verge article. It's not the first one they've done on that disaster, though, they've done a ton of reporting on it over the years.

10/29/18: Wisconsin’s $4.1 billion Foxconn boondoggle

4/10/19: Foxconn is confusing the hell out of Wisconsin, followed up by my favorite, Foxconn says empty buildings in Wisconsin are not empty

12/13/19: Showdown in Wisconn Valley

There are many more, those are just a sample.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/reckless/status/1318229210067075072

That is not what any of those words mean.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The Case Against Delaware

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Financial Times is doing a series on different aspects of the world response to Covid this week:

China and Covid-19: what went wrong in Wuhan?
Covid-19: The global crisis - in data
How coronavirus exposed Europe's weaknesses
Will coronavirus break the UK?

Coming up on Thursday and Friday are pieces about how the virus hit the US, and about how Africa is coping and what we can learn from them.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

This was sweet I really enjoyed this.

Just want to thank everybody in this thread that posts, I’ve spent a lot of this year reading things folks post and it’s some of the best work I’ve read this year.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

For real, between this thread and the chrome add on that turns web pages into epubs, I've been reading a shitload more longform articles this year than I ever had before.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Quarterroys posted:

Ironic that the quote button in PYF is "Plagiarize" because this one has turned out to be....problematic:

quote:

Editor’s Note: After The Atlantic published this article, new information emerged that has raised serious concerns about its accuracy, and about the credibility of the author, Ruth Shalit Barrett.

We have established that Barrett deceived The Atlantic and its readers about a section of the story that concerns a person referred to as “Sloane.” We are sharing with our readers what we have learned so far.

The original version of this article stated that Sloane has a son. Before publication, Sloane confirmed this detail to be true to The Atlantic’s fact-checking department. After publication, when a Washington Post media critic asked us about the accuracy of portions of the article, our fact-checking department reached out to Sloane to recheck certain details. Through her attorney, Sloane informed us that she does not, in fact, have a son. We have independently corroborated that Sloane does not have a son, and we have corrected the story to remove the reference to her having a son.

In explaining Sloane’s reasoning for telling our fact-checker she had a son, Sloane’s attorney told The Atlantic that she wanted to make herself less readily identifiable. Her attorney also said that according to Sloane, Barrett had first proposed the invention of a son, and encouraged Sloane to deceive The Atlantic as a way to protect her anonymity.

When we asked Barrett about these allegations, she initially denied them, saying that Sloane had told her she had a son, and that she had believed Sloane. The next day, when we questioned her again, she admitted that she was “complicit” in “compounding the deception” and that “it would not be fair to Sloane” to blame her alone for deceiving The Atlantic. Barrett denies that the invention of a son was her idea, and denies advising Sloane to mislead The Atlantic’s fact-checkers, but told us that “on some level I did know that it was BS” and “I do take responsibility.”

Sloane’s attorney claimed that there are several other errors about Sloane in the article but declined to provide The Atlantic with examples. Barrett says that the fabricated son is the only detail about which she deceived our fact-checkers and editors. Our fact-checking department is continuing to thoroughly recheck the article.

We have already corrected and clarified other details in the story. During the initial fact-checking process, we corroborated many details of Sloane’s story with sources other than Sloane. But the checking of some details of Sloane’s story relied solely on interviews and other communications with Sloane or her husband or both of them.

We have clarified a detail about a neck injury sustained by Sloane’s middle daughter, to be more precise about its severity. We have corrected a detail about a thigh injury, originally described as a deep gash but more accurately described as a skin rupture that bled through a fencing uniform. And we’ve corrected the location of a lacrosse family mentioned in the article: They do not live in Greenwich, Connecticut, but in another town in Fairfield County.

On October 22, we noted and corrected another error in the story: The article originally referenced Olympic-size backyard hockey rinks, but although the private rinks are large and equipped with floodlights and generators, they are not Olympic-size.

We are also updating Barrett’s byline. Originally, we referred to her as Ruth S. Barrett. When writing recently for other magazines, Barrett was identified by her full name, Ruth Shalit Barrett. (Barrett is her married name.) In 1999, when she was known by Ruth Shalit, she left The New Republic, where she was an associate editor, after plagiarism and inaccurate reporting were discovered in her work. We typically defer to authors on how their byline appears—some authors use middle initials, for example, or shorter versions of their given name. We referred to Barrett as Ruth S. Barrett at her request, but in the interest of transparency, we should have included the name that she used as her byline in the 1990s, when the plagiarism incidents occurred. We have changed the byline on this article to Ruth Shalit Barrett.

We decided to assign Barrett this freelance story in part because more than two decades separated her from her journalistic malpractice at The New Republic and because in recent years her work has appeared in reputable magazines. We took into consideration the argument that Barrett deserved a second chance to write feature stories such as this one. We were wrong to make this assignment, however. It reflects poor judgment on our part, and we regret our decision.

We are continuing to review this article. We will correct any errors we find, and we will communicate our findings to our readers as speedily as possible.

I can't remember the last time I saw a correction that long.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

PYF Longform Corrections

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Porfiriato posted:

Ironic that the quote button in PYF is "Plagiarize" because this one has turned out to be....problematic:
I can't remember the last time I saw a correction that long.

There was an epic on in the NYT earlier this year, but it was much more terse.

This one's tl;dr:
Well, everybody ELSE was hiring the plagiarist/fabulist, so it isn't just our fault!

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Inceltown posted:

PYF Longform Corrections

She's also a racist piece of poo poo who got "redeemed" by marrying a rich dude that runs a division of Hearst media and is the sister of another hard right journo/author.

https://twitter.com/AsteadWesley/status/1322547900631687168

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Deep State, Deep Church: How QAnon and Trumpism Have Infected the Catholic Church

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/zeynep/status/1322954214641979392

Some good reading in this thread. The article in the OP is very pro-click.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

ultrafilter posted:

https://twitter.com/zeynep/status/1322954214641979392

Some good reading in this thread. The article in the OP is very pro-click.

Got the article ready to read later when I have time but if the NYT isn't doing a huge mea culpa and setting solid plans for a path away from horse race journalism and both sides-ing while complaining about it then I'm going to lol hard.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
I will probably read everything by zeynep that comes up, self recommending at this point

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

This isn't super-longform but it's not super short either.

Operation Werewolf: Nazi Crossfit with a Viking Fetish

quote:

Right from the start, the Werewolf Elite program is billed as your last chance. Not just to take control of your fitness, get your finances in order, or meet life goals, but for manhood, for “Total Life Reform” (TLR). The Werewolf Elite program is the latest package for purchase from Paul Waggener, co-founder of the far-right Odinist cult the Wolves of Vinland and proprietor of a growing family of fitness, lifestyle, and spirituality products built around his carefully cultivated outlaw persona. Waggener’s various self-help programs have become a strange pathway to far-right ideas, normalizing them by appealing to insecurities, subcultural signifiers, and the desire to build strong friendship circles. Just as happened in the “pick-up artist” community, where where lonely men were introduced to the anti-feminist ideas of the manosphere when tuning in to learn how to pick up women, Waggener’s programs build on the appeal of strength and loyalty to connect self-improvement with far-right ideas about racial tribalism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
The First and Final King of Bloodless Bullfighting

A pretty short piece about a man who saw his first bullfight while in seminary in Mexico and went on to become one of the handful of American matadors. In his later years he promoted "bloodless" bullfights in which the matador plucks a rose from the bull's back. It's not exactly a happy article, as people close to him are killed by bulls.