Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I've done curry udon but subbed cabbage for the noodles, it's decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Japanese food might be a tough one if you're avoiding carbs. But I do like the shredded cabbage idea a lot.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You can grab some of those shiritaki noodles. Takes a bit to get used to them, but they're a godsend for cutting.

Everyones Favorite Poster
Dec 6, 2017

:toot:
Tried my hand at an Oyakodon today! First attempt at Japanese food and I'm not much of a cook in general (that's being generous).

I made homemade dashi and used the Oyakodon recipe off Serious Eats. The dish turned out tasting ok, not so hot in the presentation department but felt a little bland. Guessing I should be a bit more liberal with soy sauce and sugar next time but any tips would be appreciated as I plan to try my hand again next week.

Everyones Favorite Poster fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Nov 10, 2020

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

If you reduced the soy sauce and sugar in the recipe because it seemed like a lot I would definitely recommend using the full amount next time. Japanese food doesn't really work otherwise.

Dec 6, 2017

hallo spacedog posted:

If you reduced the soy sauce and sugar in the recipe because it seemed like a lot I would definitely recommend using the full amount next time. Japanese food doesn't really work otherwise.

I did go for the amount listed in the recipe but guess I should up it a little next time. Is there anything I should be particularly cautious about when adding extra sake, sugar or soy sauce?

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Everyones Favorite Poster posted:

I did go for the amount listed in the recipe but guess I should up it a little next time. Is there anything I should be particularly cautious about when adding extra sake, sugar or soy sauce?

I would probably just search for another recipe in that case. IIRC this one was pretty decent when I made it a year or two ago.
Nothing to really be careful of if adjusting seasoning, I would say just do a little at a time so as to not go overboard.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I like the NHK recipe: https://www.nhk.or.jp/dwc/recipes/detail/349.html

That said oyakodon is kinda bland? It's really good when you're in the mood for it but it's not like, super exciting either. I usually put a lot of shichimi on it. The biggest thing the Serious Eats recipe is missing is mirin, the rest looks normal. I would second Justonecookbook as the first place to look online for Japanese recipes tho.

Dec 6, 2017

Thanks for the advice! I also did notice the serious eats one doesn't call for Mirin. Justonecookbook has been a pretty great resource so far so I'll give her recipe a shot this next time around and report back.

On that same note, are there any other relatively easy/beginner Japanese recipes ya'll enjoy making/eating?

Everyones Favorite Poster fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Nov 10, 2020

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Curry rice is probably the easiest Japanese recipe and very high on the effort to deliciousness ratio, especially if you use store bought roux (which is totally fine). A lot of everyday Japanese food isn't that hard, really. Tonkatsu, zaru soba. Something like omurice takes a little practice but isn't too tough, and the worst you'll do is make it ugly but still taste good. Nabe is a traditionally fall/winter thing and dead easy if you own both a pot and a knife.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
Seconding curry rice!!! I’ve gotten so many people to try it and they love it

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Not sure what your food preferences are but nikujaga and buta no shougayaki are both good easy crowd pleasing options.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
When you’re eating curry at the kotatsu... that’s some Good poo poo

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

hallo spacedog posted:

Not sure what your food preferences are but nikujaga and buta no shougayaki are both good easy crowd pleasing options.

Oh yeah.

In the nikujaga feel free to leave out the shirataki noodles if you can't find them, they are very optional. And you can do chunks of beef instead of thin slices, just cook those first until they're tender and then start adding the rest. I prefer it that way personally because meat.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Grand Fromage posted:

Oh yeah.

In the nikujaga feel free to leave out the shirataki noodles if you can't find them, they are very optional. And you can do chunks of beef instead of thin slices, just cook those first until they're tender and then start adding the rest. I prefer it that way personally because meat.

Weirdly I think even the normal market near me now has shirataki or at least tofu shirataki. There was a "miracle noodle" craze a few years ago and I still see them all over the place.

I like the meat thin but to each their own!

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

I’ve seen shirataki at every major grocery store since it’s such a popular diet food so nobody in the states should really have trouble finding it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Weird. I see them at most of the Asian groceries but haven't anywhere else. But I haven't looked that hard either.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Buta no kakuni is p much a no brainer if you can get pork belly and daikon (spare ribs work too).

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Gyuudon is as simple as oyakodon but I like it much more.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

I’ve just learned that Tokyo Central has closed their online grocery recently. I’ve never depended on them but it’s sad to see one less option for those who don’t have a local Japanese market.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
nthing curry rice, especially from a boxed roux. The hardest part of making boxed roux curry is chopping the meat and veggies. Making your own roux is a bit tricky and you should prepare to fail a couple of times before getting it right, but it's a good option if you can't get boxed roux you like or are trying to control your salt intake.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The general category of nimono is good to look at if you want easy and/or low effort stuff. Nimono are simmered dishes (nikujaga's an example), so it's just cutting stuff up and putting it in a pot for a bit. Very home cooking and it's also a good way to learn about how the balance of seasonings works in Japanese food, since you're more or less always using a liquid that's the basic dashi + soy, sake, mirin, sugar combo, which is your fundamental flavor set in Japan. Pick a real simple nimono and try to make it several times with adjustments to the liquid and see how you like your food seasoned. Measure it out each time so you can figure out the ratio you like. You don't have to always be fiddly but knowing you like approximately double the soy sauce to the mirin or whatever is handy for future cooking.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

I agree with that. I absolutely love chikuzen-ni and feel that even though the ingredients are a little more diverse it's not extremely difficult to make, though a little time consuming.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
The Tonjiru from Justonecookbook is amazing and easy to do. It's pretty much winter here so a warm soup was exactly the right choice.
I substituted daikon and taro with a turnip and a potato and it worked really well. And instead of negi I used leek.

Dec 6, 2017

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll definitely take a look at all of these for my next few attempts.

Grand Fromage posted:

The general category of nimono is good to look at if you want easy and/or low effort stuff. Nimono are simmered dishes (nikujaga's an example), so it's just cutting stuff up and putting it in a pot for a bit. Very home cooking and it's also a good way to learn about how the balance of seasonings works in Japanese food, since you're more or less always using a liquid that's the basic dashi + soy, sake, mirin, sugar combo, which is your fundamental flavor set in Japan. Pick a real simple nimono and try to make it several times with adjustments to the liquid and see how you like your food seasoned. Measure it out each time so you can figure out the ratio you like. You don't have to always be fiddly but knowing you like approximately double the soy sauce to the mirin or whatever is handy for future cooking.

This sounds like a great idea, thanks!

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I’m trying katsu curry at MUJI Helsinki since it’s like the only place in Helsinki (or Finland?) that serves Japanese curry.

It’s good and authentic, but honestly... the stuff I can make at home with roux blocks straight-up wrecks this. The tonkatsu is really nice though.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I tried a new brand of curry roux from my local Japanese food shop

I tried to google it to see if there were translated English instructions as the box is purely in Japanese, but I couldn't find it online anywhere. I made it the same way I make Golden curry and it turned out fine. Luckily the amount of liquid to add was written in western numerals.
I really liked this curry, it was much darker and thicker than golden curry and it's spicier too. Having a bouillon paste as well as the roux blocks really added to the flavour and richness I think.

Quick question: I'd like to try the Java curry next but they only stock the huge boxes. Is it one big roux block in those or is it a multipack with x amount of normal sized blocks inside?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Helith posted:

I tried a new brand of curry roux from my local Japanese food shop

I tried to google it to see if there were translated English instructions as the box is purely in Japanese, but I couldn't find it online anywhere. I made it the same way I make Golden curry and it turned out fine. Luckily the amount of liquid to add was written in western numerals.
I really liked this curry, it was much darker and thicker than golden curry and it's spicier too. Having a bouillon paste as well as the roux blocks really added to the flavour and richness I think.

Quick question: I'd like to try the Java curry next but they only stock the huge boxes. Is it one big roux block in those or is it a multipack with x amount of normal sized blocks inside?

FYI I’ve used the google translate app for Japanese ingredients and it’s always helped. You can take a pic of the instructions and it will overlay your language of choice.

Edit: I pointed the app at the pic you posted just to give you an idea of what it does.

Flash Gordon Ramsay fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Nov 18, 2020

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

You can also post here if you need minor translation help, I am happy to help if I am around.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Ya there's a few people in the thread who either speak Japanese or can puzzle it out enough to read package instructions.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Grand Fromage posted:

Ya there's a few people in the thread who either speak Japanese or can puzzle it out enough to read package instructions.

I did think of using a translate app or asking in here but the translated ingredients label was stuck over half of the instructions and it wasn't coming off cleanly lol.
Thanks everyone though and if I pick up anything else that needs a translation I'll keep you in mind and the app too.

Anyone know the answer to the question I asked about the large boxes of curry roux? I only need to make curry for 2 people at a time.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I'm not sure what you mean by a large box so I don't know how to answer. When I get curry roux there are two individual containers in it, each scored to break into four small blocks. If I have a leftover opened container I toss it in the fridge, though I don't think you really need to do that.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Even if you do open the seal you can still keep it in foil and a plastic bag in the fridge for an indefinite amount of time.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I don't even do foil, I just put it in a ziploc in the fridge. Never seen it go weird.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Grand Fromage posted:

I don't even do foil, I just put it in a ziploc in the fridge. Never seen it go weird.

Me either, I'm pretty sure it's 99% oil and spices.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Has anyone here ever made their own osechi? They’re taking orders at the local grocery but I don’t have a lot of money and I want something nice for my family.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Not the whole shebang but I've done chikuzen-ni and ozoni before.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
I've done the whole shebang. Honestly in terms of effort compared to flavor it's not worth it, because a lot of osechi is heavily seasoned since it's supposed to sit out for 24 hours.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

ntan1 posted:

I've done the whole shebang. Honestly in terms of effort compared to flavor it's not worth it, because a lot of osechi is heavily seasoned since it's supposed to sit out for 24 hours.

Thanks for sharing this. We had the idea of just doing a really extravagant curry instead so I think we might put more thought to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I went to the Japanese shop and got one of the large boxes of Java curry. It has 2 roux blocks inside so you can either make normal sized curry twice or make one big party size curry. So that answers my earlier question.
Really looking forward to trying the Java hot!