Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

bawfuls posted:

Managers of the year are Kevin Cash and Don Mattingly. By far the silliest award MLB gives out, seems appropriate they'd give one to the manager who's team experienced the largest COVID outbreak.

At least the Marlins made it to the playoffs with a winning record.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

Managers of the year are Kevin Cash and Don Mattingly. By far the silliest award MLB gives out, seems appropriate they'd give one to the manager who's team experienced the largest COVID outbreak.

Also I realize it's voted on before the postseason but pretty funny that Cash wins MotY after making easily the most high profile bad managing decision of the year.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

bawfuls posted:

Managing a team to the playoffs despite a bunch of sick players and a long layoff followed by a million games in a row, seems pretty impressive to me. Especially a young team without any stars.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
We have a Free Agent signing!

https://twitter.com/SFGiants/status/1326330162917515265

A Zaidi Special. This guy's either going to be great, or he's not.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Oh hey I remember Vosler, he seemed to finally figure out his power stroke a couple years ago but his numbers were never super impressive for the PCL, and the Cubs just didn't have room for him on the roster. Looks like he hit pretty well for El Paso last year, hope he does well.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Well we did mention managers of the year being fired earlier, could Cash pull it off if Snell is pissed enough and tries to force it?

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Intruder posted:

Well we did mention managers of the year being fired earlier, could Cash pull it off if Snell is pissed enough and tries to force it?

Most likely it'll happen like Matt Williams after he won 2014 MoY. After his bonehead moves cost the Nationals in the 2014 playoffs he lost the clubhouse, the team collapsed, and he was fired at the end of 2015.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Jomboy breaks down the Twins winning an actual postseason game. Well... kinda. :v:

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I am somewhat fond of the white sox so I don’t feel any schadenfreude or anything but the La Russa situation is really funny. Reinsdorf is such a piece of poo poo

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Oh wow, good for the Mets https://twitter.com/metsmerized/status/1326555257212706816?s=21

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The market is going to be poo poo this year so yeah, taking almost $19 mil is probably a good idea

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Jeez, how dire were the offers for that QO to be more appealing than a longer deal. I know owners are crying poor so no deal would approach a 19M AAV, but still a risky gambit.

Perhaps a reluctance to relocate during covid uncertainty, and mild faith in the new ownership were the deciding factors?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

kalensc posted:

Jeez, how dire were the offers for that QO to be more appealing than a longer deal.

Perhaps a reluctance to relocate during covid uncertainty, and mild faith in the new ownership were the deciding factors?

Sounds like Cohen's presser did impress him.

I would imagine it’s more the weak market than relocation fears but maybe not, I think his family still lives in Long Island (where he grew up)

https://twitter.com/str0/status/1326556894807224323?s=21

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/ken_rosenthal/status/1326563083251146754?s=21

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
gently caress yeah Stro

another starter and some bullpen help and I might start to feel optimistic about next year

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Wonder if they trade for Musgrove

I would bet on the Braves as the most likely destination though

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

kalensc posted:

Jeez, how dire were the offers for that QO to be more appealing than a longer deal. I know owners are crying poor so no deal would approach a 19M AAV, but still a risky gambit.

Stroman also sat out the bubble season, which almost certainly affected what teams were willing to offer him.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

I'm fine with Gausman accepting the QO, but if someone wants to give him a three year deal, we should let him walk and take the draft pick. He had a nice year but I don't buy the idea that it was some late career breakout.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Very excited about the Mets future.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

*bursts into thread panting out of breath*

I have the most important news of the winter right here

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1326555376289001472

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

GalacticAcid posted:

Wonder if they trade for Musgrove

I would bet on the Braves as the most likely destination though

you'd mentioned this before and it seems like it could be a good match personnel-wise but why the Braves specifically? he doesn't seem to have any connections to the Atlanta area

davecrazy posted:

Very excited about the Mets future.

the bat of Damocles, just suspended overhead

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

FlamingLiberal posted:

The market is going to be poo poo this year so yeah, taking almost $19 mil is probably a good idea

Is he even worth 19 million? He isn't very good and he didn't pitch last year.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Yeah I expected that, Stroman didn't pitch at all this year and the market isn't looking like it's going to be the best. He'll also still get to hit the FA market at 29 next year too.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
This really isint about Stromans market value or whatever.

Cohen isint going to be put off by over paying a guy on a one year deal if the baseball ops guys think its worth doing.

The Wilpons never in a million years would of gone in for 19 mil on a guy who will be the 3rd or 4th starter. And if they did that would be the limit of their major off season moves. For Cohen it’s just getting started.

The Mets are flush with cash and looking to add while the rest of the sport is going to be looking to cut costs due to the revenue decline.

Plus they have a smart baseball guy in Alderson calling the shots without Jeff loving Wilpon loving everything up like the failson he is.

lolMets casts a long shadow but their really is a new dynamic at play here.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

davecrazy you need a new avatar for this bold new MetsWorld

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Is he even worth 19 million? He isn't very good and he didn't pitch last year.

Stroman is actually good what the hell

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

bawfuls posted:

davecrazy you need a new avatar for this bold new MetsWorld

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
There are two great SAS debates that haunt me because I was on the wrong side of them. One is thinking that Mike Trout was overhyped (loving oops) and the second was thinking davecrazy was wrong and unfounded in his hatred of Matt Harvey

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

alpha_destroy posted:

There are two great SAS debates that haunt me because I was on the wrong side of them. One is thinking that Mike Trout was overhyped (loving oops) and the second was thinking davecrazy was wrong and unfounded in his hatred of Matt Harvey

was that the epilogue on the jeffersonlives posting career?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1326597599290400774

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

alpha_destroy posted:

Who was the "Mike Trout has a Mickey Mantle floor" poster (which was absurd like 3 months into trouts career) but basically a spot on comparison.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

https://www.mlb.com/news/angels-gm-search-narrows-candidates

ok someone tell me who to hope for, or not

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

elentar posted:

you'd mentioned this before and it seems like it could be a good match personnel-wise but why the Braves specifically? he doesn't seem to have any connections to the Atlanta area

Partially a hunch but mainly just I think the Braves really want a mid-rotation guy with upside and have the prospects to make it happen. We'll see though

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Hooray for eating innings at a league-average or slightly worse level.

Apparently is a good clubhouse presence? I dunno, when the official site has to reach for off-the-field stuff like that it's usually an admission that there's no on-the-field reason to celebrate.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

When I’m right I’m right.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Jason McLeod spent the better part of a decade running the Cubs pitching development into the center of the Earth and refusing to draft anybody with anything resembling decent velo in his lust for ~pitchability~ Honestly didn't have that great a track record of hitter drafting/development either, outside of absolute slam dunk picks like Bryant. Pretty much as soon as Theo kicked him upstairs into a do-nothing advisor role and gave the farm director gig to somebody else our farm began to rebound and the pitchers we've drafted the last couple years have quickly rocketed up into our top 30 prospects list.

So what I'm saying is please for the love of god sign him away to be your GM because he loving sucks poo poo and I'm sick of him being coddled and kept around by Theo.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Another QO accepted:

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1326643725657894914

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

elentar posted:

Hooray for eating innings at a league-average or slightly worse level.

Apparently is a good clubhouse presence? I dunno, when the official site has to reach for off-the-field stuff like that it's usually an admission that there's no on-the-field reason to celebrate.

When Tomlin was in Cleveland, I heard a lot about how he was a good clubhouse guy and mentor for the young pitchers. The Braves staff is mostly younger guys, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Shiroc posted:

When Tomlin was in Cleveland, I heard a lot about how he was a good clubhouse guy and mentor for the young pitchers. The Braves staff is mostly younger guys, right?

I will tell you he’s one of the nicest guys in the world and a great clubhouse guy. One of my favorite memories was being in the Indians clubhouse the night he made his major league debut. I had season tickets and it was a baaaaad year, and my daughter and I moved down a bunch of rows - ended up sitting with his mom and brothers. Tomlin pitched a gem - 6+ shutout innings against the Yankees. His dad came down from the owners box after he was taken out of the game and sat with everyone, and ended up inviting me and my kid to come down on the field to meet Josh. Plans changed and ESPN wanted an interview in the clubhouse, so we ended up going down there with the family. Sat there in the player’s family waiting room - my daughter played with CC sabathia’s kid and we watched nearly every player on both teams come through. When it was all done, we went in the clubhouse to meet him - he hugged his mom and dad, hugged his brothers, and then came to me and my daughter with a weird look on his face. We explained the situation, and he shook our hands and signed my daughters hat and chatted with us for a while. We finally left with the family - his dad gave me his email address and told me I was a friend of the family now :)

Funny postscript - about 3 years later we were at a season ticket holders event, and ended up in line to get Josh’s autograph. We got to the line, and I said “man, you may not remember me but”. He cut me off and said “oh yeah, you’re the guy who was there with my family when I made my debut. We still joke about how it was closest family and 2 complete strangers 😂”