Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Ror posted:

I live alone but I want the jamón

When you look back and see only the hamprints in the sand, that’s when the jamón was carrying you.
:catholic:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Ror posted:

Buy it, and then you won't be alone anymore?

:shrug:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Can you, like, freeze it? Use it for soups or quiches? Just thinking of some bulk uses for ham.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
If you wipe dowm the ham regularly with salt water shouldnt it last almost indefinitely??

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Ror posted:

Become an entrepreneur and sell jamón slices.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

What’s this I keep hearing about the ham

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Ror posted:

We can be roommates for a month and eat the ham

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Coredump posted:

Become an entrepreneur and sell jamón slices.

STREET JAMON HOT TREND 2021

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I've always heard you should just keep the outer layer of jamon as you're cutting pieces off, and kinda lay it back on the exposed section to re-cover it when you're done.

jamon.com says:

quote:

Store your whole, bone-in jamón in a cool, dry and ventilated place, either resting in a holder (jamonero) or hung by the rope. To preserve the freshness, moisture and flavor of your ham as it is consumed, always cover the sliced area with plastic wrap or a bit of the removed fat layer after slicing. If the meat has been left exposed to the air for some time, discard the first slice of the exposed area, as it will be dry and tough.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

I am Jack's unused Jamonero

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Martman posted:

I've always heard you should just keep the outer layer of jamon as you're cutting pieces off, and kinda lay it back on the exposed section to re-cover it when you're done.

jamon.com says:

Yeah, I did that and just laid some parchment paper loosely over the whole thing so it wouldn't accumulate dust. I really liked how different parts of the jamon tasted a bit different.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

going to consult jamon.com for all of life's questions from now on :btroll:

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

C'mon, just jamon

Its the pick me up that you need

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.
The jamón comes with a printed guide with ham tips and tricks.

I’m going to make a giant sandwich and guzzle down a pound of it today. There’s still so much ham left! Also I give my dog a little 1/4 square inch slice when I snack on it, but it’s probably bad for her.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I’m naming my first son Jamonero.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
we're jamon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uM5exCBWzk

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I'm gonna wait for half price jamón in January.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

These crazy motherfuckers are selling 40 stroopwafels for $6. Same brand, same size costs goddamn $1.50 for one at 7-Eleven.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

SirPablo posted:

I'm gonna wait for half price jamón in January.

IS THIS REAL I NEED TO KNOW

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

AV/post combo

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Any jamon can be half priced if you can't finish it

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

At least one of the churches i was at earlier this year was clearancing them out for $50.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

SirPablo posted:

At least one of the churches i was at earlier this year was clearancing them out for $50.

The deadline to eat the whole thing doesn't change though, right?

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

The deadline to eat the one I bought last year (which was long ago consumed) has not actually passed yet - it was either February or March 2021.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Any jamon can be half priced if you can't finish it

It's free if you can finish the whole thing in 60 minutes

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

RoastBeef posted:

The deadline to eat the one I bought last year (which was long ago consumed) has not actually passed yet - it was either February or March 2021.
sure, let's all trust RoastBeef on how to handle our ham

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Whooping Crabs posted:

It's free if you can finish the whole thing in 60 minutes

Oh man, biting into the jamon without slicing it would be barbaric

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

You actually do NEED the ham. You just don't know it yet.

Just buy it. 2020 sucks, may as well end it on a high note

YOU’RE RIGHT. IMMA GET IT. I’d hate to die and never taste a jamón. your post about giving away slices makes the purchase seem less frivolous for our living situation.

StormDrain posted:

The upside would be how decadent it would look to have a ham behind glass.

ham trophy that you won by shopping at costco

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

SirPablo posted:

for 50 bones I'll be the ham god

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I would like to eat jamon
I would eat it on a cone
Jamon is tasty on some bread
With some cheese and figgy spread
The jamon you first must learn to slice
Would be rude to chop and dice
When you get it paper thin
Stuff your face with toothy grin
Eat alone or with your friends
Eat jamon till the world ends

Buy the loving ham

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah, from what I can tell it has to do with the ovens. I don't know if one location is running them hotter or longer or what, but some places you get a soggy mess and some places you get it properly cooked. There's a costco a few miles from me with garbage pizza and one half an hour away that has pretty solid pizza.

I would even say it can vary at the same location depending on the weather, staffing, moon alignment, and horoscope. I would sometimes just get a stellar slice here, like nice and crispy with some goody-burnt-ness crunch to the dough but it's cooked through and fluffy but in a good pizza way; everything meshing well and stays together; pepperonis are nice and curled up n crunchy; and piping hot; and then at the same location just get it where its just a sad grease-soaked soggy mess where the toppings just slides off onto the floor and tries to escape down the floor drains to end it's own misery and it's lukewarm. on average it's just mediocre and usually the amount of times I got the perfect slice was outnumbered by sad soggy slices with undercooked pepperoni was probably 1:3, but every once and awhile you get that really good piece that makes you go "man costco pizza is really loving great I should get this more often holy poo poo" and then you get it next time and its just like "ugh this poo poo sucks why did I ever think it was good? i should have just gotten the hot dog"

Xaris fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Nov 12, 2020

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Speakin of hamz; we usually buy the spiral hammy from costco for thinksgivin. That'll last us a few days so i have no idea how any of you plan on eating a whole pig leg n butt.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
We stopped buying the spiral hams and now go with the carvery hams. They appear to be made from just one muscle, instead of several around the bone. Absolutely perfect size for the 3 of us plus a guest or two, with leftovers. Warms up in no time, giving you plenty of time to work on an awesome glaze. I've done mustard glazes, soda-based glazes and even a sour cherry glaze, but we're all just as content to just toss that thing in the oven for a bit and put out some optional mustards.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

If you wipe dowm the ham regularly with salt water shouldnt it last almost indefinitely??

:unsmith: Honey, would you please go wipe down the ham?

:catstare: Goddamnit Harold it's your turn to wipe down the ham, I just did it 6 hours ago. And don't you dare forget to set your alarm for the 3am wipe down. And make more brine while you're at it.

:smith: Yes, honey

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

this could be you

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

For regular xmas ham I usually just go to the local store and get a low sodium ham. It honestly tastes better with less salt. Then I do deli mustard and crumbled gingersnap cookies on the outside for a nice crust

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Ultimate Mango posted:

I would like to eat jamon
I would eat it on a cone
Jamon is tasty on some bread
With some cheese and figgy spread
The jamon you first must learn to slice
Would be rude to chop and dice
When you get it paper thin
Stuff your face with toothy grin
Eat alone or with your friends
Eat jamon till the world ends

Buy the loving ham

A philosophy by which to live and die. :hai:

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I bought the Stroopwaffels. I bought the Sanders chocolates. And the PB & choco snack mix (it's good, buy it. drat you all for telling me about it I want to devour the whole tub. gently caress.)

But I also bought spinach & peppers, and trying those Merino socks out. No communion because I was coming home to my curry chicken I'd portioned out last night.

PBUC

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

humboldt fog is some great cheese and costco has it now at low prices pbuc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
I live alone so there's a bunch of stuff at Costco that I won't buy there. I'm not big on sweets so when I buy those Sanders caramel chocolates I'll have like 6 of them and then won't touch them for months until I give them away to someone. But I can't keep the s'mores snack mix away from me. I'm on my second bag of them in a month. I also love the giant bags of skinny pop. Those bags are almost the size of my torso and I'll singlehandedly eat it all in a week.

But the best deal there in my opinion is the 8 pack of chicken legs from the deli for $5. Costco really knows what they're doing when it comes to the chickens they have left over at the end of the night that didn't sell. They cut them up, put the legs in a pack and sell them, the rest of the meat they put in all the other stuff they sell like the pot pies, the chili, soup, alfredo, salads.