Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Couldn't quite make it with a Zotac

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
The card is good. Control is night and day before vs after, and I'm seeing smooth movement when panning in metro, fortnite, control, sekiro all at max. Generally getting over 100 fps in everything with everything turned on, ray-tracing, etc.

I don't notice g-sync though.

Looks like I can finally play fps games again!

Not sure if it was worth it? But it is good? Maybe I wouldn't have noticed the difference if I'd got a 3070.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

redreader posted:

I don't notice g-sync though.

did you notice screen tearing with vsync off in the past?

gsync is just uncapped vsync with better latency because frames don't need to be buffered

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i've been googling this every other day but: when the gently caress is the review embargo date for radeons? trying to google it just gives me ancient wccftech and other rumour site news

vvvv: thanks a lot friend

Truga fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Nov 11, 2020

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Truga posted:

i've been googling this every other day but: when the gently caress is the review embargo date for radeons? trying to google it just gives me ancient wccftech and other rumour site news

embargo lifts on November 18

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
The Eagle has landed

I sent my friend who had initially turned it down a picture to tell him it had arrived, and he immediately asked how I wanted payment. :v:

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

what's going on with the cryptic notes under the table

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
My 7 year old's first foray into cryptography. A simple substitution cypher.

AirRaid fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Nov 11, 2020

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The shop I ordered on did another weekly update, still no non-OC TUF cards from Asus. If I have to start playing CP2077 on my current card, I might as well finish it on it, and Asus can go gently caress themselves. Don't offer a model you don't intend to ship in any reasonable time (--edit: considering).

Yeah, like the higher end chips aren't scarce enough already, keep some of the bins back.

--edit:
From the latest NVidia display driver release notes:

quote:

Windows 10 Only [G-SYNC][NVIDIA Ampere GPU architecture]: GPU power consumption may increase in idle mode on systems using certain higher refresh-rate G-SYNC monitors. [200667566]
Why does that poo poo keep happening?! :psyduck:

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Nov 11, 2020

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

Why does that poo poo keep happening?! :psyduck:
For some cards, their idle voltage threshold was too low for multiple monitors, but it's weird that Nvidia present it as a software issue on the driver end.

I can't remember what manufacturer it was, but they pushed out a firmware update. Might have been ASUS or EVGA.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Microcenter 3070 question: is it possible to check in-store stock levels on their website before they open to decide if it's worth making the trip over or not?

Or are we still firmly in the "if you didn't line up at the door at least an hour in advance, you aren't getting anything regardless"?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Today is Singles' Day so maybe they have some extra stock like Black Friday?

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Zarin posted:

Microcenter 3070 question: is it possible to check in-store stock levels on their website before they open to decide if it's worth making the trip over or not?

Or are we still firmly in the "if you didn't line up at the door at least an hour in advance, you aren't getting anything regardless"?

This unofficial Microcenter discord server has been getting tips as to what's in stock. There's a channel for each location so you can mute everything you don't care about.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Microcenter/comments/j1r4y3/non_official_micro_center_discord_update/

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Zarin posted:

I have seen some 30xx cards show up in limited supply at the store website in the morning before open. I have been stuck at work, so I can’t check in person what the deal is.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Hackan Slash posted:

This unofficial Microcenter discord server has been getting tips as to what's in stock. There's a channel for each location so you can mute everything you don't care about.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Microcenter/comments/j1r4y3/non_official_micro_center_discord_update/

Interesting, thanks! I passed it along to my buddy who is lucky enough to live a few minutes from one.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
3080ti is a weird sku but i'm not complaining, we want compute & vram at work so the 3080 has been a bit of a step back for us, we're nowhere near capping out its 3d rendering capabilities.

I dont know if its a response to the commercial market response or just trying to get 2080ti buyers to jump (since it's pretty widely reported 2080ti>3080 is marginal below 4k) but I guess I'm happy it'll someday theoretically exist.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Nvidia knows that there are "edge" compute systems out there that have to be COTS but still lowest cost/highest performance. Mostly think, Mil/Aero stuff. That's what that SKU will be targeting other than the 50 folks on youtube that will pick one up because e-peen; these are builds that would have previously used a Titan. They don't explicitly condone this use case but there's certainly a market for it.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Zarin posted:

There's a sign on the door saying you ain't getting a 3070 so I'm thinking the latter.

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Nov 11, 2020

Xenthalon
Jun 28, 2010
Just got my MSI 3070 Gaming X Trio :3: man this thing is huge... installed it, installed the anti-sagging-bracket, booted up the PC again, everything seems fine. Unfortunately I don't have any time to spend with it until the weekend, but Control is downloaded and ready to go :cool:

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

Internet Explorer posted:

I kinda like the Card Citizen one and it's not very old, but if you all wanted it changed I'm happy to.
'Card Citizen' is an extremely good subtitle that should not be changed imo

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
my evga 3080 ftw ultra order link just arrived. Who wanted it

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Should I get a bracket for this Gigabyte AORUS 3080, is there a recommended way to makeshift one (legos?), or is the whole notion of Card Sag just a ploy to sell cheap metal trinkets for a 10,000x markup?

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

I joined the StockDrop Discord last week. Set myself for Canadian 3080 alerts... Got none yet... I thought I messed up so I looked manually at the alert channel and yup, there is really no canadian stock alerts at all in the middle of all the normal US alerts.

Looks like I'll really need to wait for stock to normalize where you can buy something whenever you want...

It sucks... I now have my first high refresh rate monitor so I'd like to see what it can do at 144hz!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Fauxtool posted:

my evga 3080 ftw ultra order link just arrived. Who wanted it

Are you asking who claimed it before or for volunteers now?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hobbesmaster posted:

Are you asking who claimed it before or for volunteers now?

i dont really care, either. Its going to goon of my choosing who isnt super whiny and has been trying earnestly. One who will pay me $100 for my troubles. It has been ordered and should be arriving soon

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Dangerllama posted:

Should I get a bracket for this Gigabyte AORUS 3080, is there a recommended way to makeshift one (legos?), or is the whole notion of Card Sag just a ploy to sell cheap metal trinkets for a 10,000x markup?

The consensus seems to be that card sag is not a thing to worry about.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Fauxtool posted:

i dont really care, either. Its going to goon of my choosing who isnt super whiny and has been trying earnestly. One who will pay me $100 for my troubles. It has been ordered and should be arriving soon

LOL

Card volume is rising extremely fast, I wouldn't pay this dude $100 for his truly selfless gesture of goodwill, but do y'all.

Taima fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Nov 11, 2020

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
The scalping is coming from inside the thread.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
You're supposed to take a bit of profit from the shipping costs, not outright say you're scalping fellow goons!

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
Where are the cards evga. Get your poo poo together, I want to buyyyy.

How long do we anticipate the discord lurking will need to continue to actually get one?

I'm getting to the point where I'm thinking of signing up, but I'm in Canada. Is there a way to get notifications for Canadian sellers?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cyks posted:

The scalping is coming from inside the thread.

Just over 10% markup is hardly scalping. i have already gotten 2 other goons 3080s with exactly these terms. The $100 finders fee was already agreed to beforehand when my place in line was offered. If you dont like it i guess keeping f5ing. Goodluck.
PM me if you want it

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Maybe this is more for the PC building thread but does anyone have a sense of whether a 650W PSU is enough for a 3080? I've got an EVGA XC3 Ultra 3080 on the way and as of right now my PC has a 650W PSU and a slightly OCed 7700k. I've found conflicting information online. Buying a new PSU would not be the end of the world but I'd rather save the money and not have to rewire everything.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bold Robot posted:

Maybe this is more for the PC building thread but does anyone have a sense of whether a 650W PSU is enough for a 3080? I've got an EVGA XC3 Ultra 3080 on the way and as of right now my PC has a 650W PSU and a slightly OCed 7700k. I've found conflicting information online. Buying a new PSU would not be the end of the world but I'd rather save the money and not have to rewire everything.

you will know if its not enough almost immediately if your PC shuts down under load. If it doesnt its good. There arent many cases of it being barely not enough and running poorly. Generally its fine or it isnt. Run a stress test on the GPU and CPU at the same time. Its not realistic that they both are drawing max power at once. If it does that you have enough juice

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bold Robot posted:

They’re up to 350W, figure out what your CPU actually is and add them up to get a ballpark on what you need. Sounds like you’re fine though.

I mean, unless your PSU is ancient can’t hit specs anymore.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Fauxtool posted:

you will know if its not enough almost immediately if your PC shuts down under load. If it doesnt its good. There arent many cases of it being barely not enough and running poorly. Generally its fine or it isnt. Run a stress test on the GPU and CPU at the same time. Its not realistic that they both are drawing max power at once. If it does that you have enough juice

That makes sense. So I guess my question is really, will it just shut down under load or will something worse happen? For what it's worth, this is the model of PSU I have. I don't mind if it shuts down and it turns out I need to get a new PSU, but I don't want anything to get fried.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bold Robot posted:

That makes sense. So I guess my question is really, will it just shut down under load or will something worse happen? For what it's worth, this is the model of PSU I have. I don't mind if it shuts down and it turns out I need to get a new PSU, but I don't want anything to get fried.

That’ll work, if it doesn’t it’s presumably still under warranty?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

What's the best 1080p card for ~$400? Asking for a buddy of mine who is going to pair it with a Ryzen 3600, and a 144hz freesync monitor.

5700XT? 2060 super?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bold Robot posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1dGQiNfCAc
go to 7:30 to see what not having enough power looks like. its really no big deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Fauxtool posted:

Just over 10% markup is hardly scalping. i have already gotten 2 other goons 3080s with exactly these terms. The $100 finders fee was already agreed to beforehand when my place in line was offered. If you dont like it i guess keeping f5ing. Goodluck.
PM me if you want it

I don't have a problem with this, but please make sure you are creating threads in SA-Mart and documenting the sale there.

That goes for everyone, please make anytime you are doing buying or selling on SA, there's a corresponding thread in SA-Mart. I don't mind if you cross-post a link to the SA-Mart thread here. If it gets out of control we can go from there.