Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
I remember getting totally stuck in hollow knight and wandering around for hours just hitting dead ends with paths i needed power ups for, until finally finding that one path to the powerup I actually needed. Kinda annoying. Only ran into that problem once though. Game rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Prob posting this in the wrong thread belongs in the PS6 thread but oh wow elden ring news!

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/phil-spencer-has-played-quite-a-bit-of-elden-ring-calls-it-miyazakis-most-ambitious-game/1100-6484314/

Phil Spencer swears that it is real and exists!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

https://twitter.com/Walmart/status/1326602787300454400

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Finally, having a terrible TV that doesn't have a 120Hz refresh rate pays off!

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Prob posting this in the wrong thread belongs in the PS6 thread but oh wow elden ring news!

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/phil-spencer-has-played-quite-a-bit-of-elden-ring-calls-it-miyazakis-most-ambitious-game/1100-6484314/

Unfortunately Microsoft owns it now. This may, or may not, be true.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Nov 11, 2020

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

haha good luck with that

Primworm
Aug 19, 2008

Six pokeballs, more than enough to catch anything that moves.
So in the last hour or so, I got notice from FedEx I was going to have a package delivering Friday, to now delayed to Monday. And still no actual word from Walmart.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

I have four timers set and I STILL doubt I'll get one.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Soysaucebeast posted:

Walmart checkout is faster on your phone. Fewer clicks.
So, have you info saved already and just refresh the page like 5 mins before and keep doing so until you see it live.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Real hurthling! posted:

All we learn from this is capcom is bad at ports

It looks amazing and runs at insane framerates but sure, its a bad port lol ok.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Non-PlayStation 5 havers, Monday proved to be really good to people hoping to still secure their purchase of an Xbox Series X. I think its safe to assume today will be similar for PlayStation 5.

Keep an eye out here:
https://twitter.com/Wario64
https://twitter.com/VideoGameDeals

for retailers that will be selling the system both in-store and online.

For retail stores:
Target: https://www.target.com/p/playstation-5-console/-/A-81114595
Wal-Mart: https://www.walmart.com/ip/PlayStation5-Console/363472942 - :siren: Limited supplies available online only, starting at 12PM ET on 11/12/2020. :siren:
Best Buy: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-playstation-5-console/6426149.p?skuId=6426149
PlayStation: https://direct.playstation.com/en-us/consoles/console/playstation5-console.3005816
Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-...s%2C233&sr=8-11

Check these places. Probably avoid Gamestop, and Newegg because they are only going to be selling very expensive bundles that are not worth it. Newegg dropped the ball on their Series X sale on Monday anyways and failed to even get their product page to work.

Thanks for this! I've got accounts set up, payment details saved, and my F5 key ready.

(I sincerely doubt I'll snag one).

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Vikar Jerome posted:

The PS5 version has major issues with monitor refresh rate / resolution

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Soysaucebeast posted:

Yeah i'm gonna try my best, but I suspect I will come out failing here. I got my Series X coming late December, so i'm happy either way.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Augus posted:

in one of the interviews the developers mentioned a graphics option that tries to mimic the lighting from the original PS4 version of Demons Souls, I’m curious what that looks like

acksplode posted:

IIRC that's just a camera filter that has a color palette similar to the original

Hello, whoever at Kotaku is reading this

So yeah, it's just a tone mapping change to add a little green to everything

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Did they add the world of giants back into Demons Souls?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

it is very weird to me that DMCV has an unlocked framerate mode that is consistently ABOVE 60, but apparently it doesn’t have a mode that can maintain a locked 60 without any major dips? How does that work

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Vintersorg posted:

Did they add the world of giants back into Demons Souls?

no

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Augus posted:

it is very weird to me that DMCV has an unlocked framerate mode that is consistently ABOVE 60, but apparently it doesn’t have a mode that can maintain a locked 60 without any major dips? How does that work

Because they didn't put a locked framerate on the no-RT mode. The performance mode (1080 @ 60 w/RT) still has drops in the cutscenes, it's practically locked in gameplay based on the DF stuff.

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

I said come in! posted:

I am riding on the fact that because of how SSDs work, games will actually be smaller in size this gen. D: Although Call of Duty Cold War apparently is 200+ GB so lol.

I don't think the "file sizes are only large because games have to duplicate assets due to slow HDDs" argument is proving to pan out. COD has a 40%+ larger install size on next gen consoles vs. current gen. Even without the 4K textures, the install size is still significantly larger than last gen.

We're going to see significantly larger install sizes this gen, regardless of the SSD standard.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Gonna be spending a lot of time tomorrow on Wario64's twitter account I guess

I'm assuming places like Target and Best Buy aren't going to like suddenly have PS5s available at midnight or something like that

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Vikar Jerome posted:

yeah they are papering over some pretty severe gently caress ups with raw power

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Euphoriaphone posted:

I don't think the "file sizes are only large because games have to duplicate assets due to slow HDDs" argument is proving to pan out. COD has a 40%+ larger install size on next gen consoles vs. current gen. Even without the 4K textures, the install size is still significantly larger than last gen.

We're going to see significantly larger install sizes this gen, regardless of the SSD standard.

It's mix. Spiderman is basically the same size as the PS4 version, even though the textures are higher res, so there is some saving, but apparently it's not enough to counteract the fact that games are just getting bigger.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Amazon shipped mine out, so yall should start seeing that soon

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Best Buy Canada just shipped mine out with an estimated delivery date of Monday Nov 16 :negative:

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Jokes on me! The package that got sent out yesterday via FedEx got here just now. It was a $25 gift card for gas from the dealership.

:sigh:

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

god these mother fuckers better not buy from software

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Amazon says order comingg in tomorrow by 8pm hurray! Target says next Wednesday which is pretty lol.

I guess Amazon just has all the transit infrastructure in place and Target/Walmart cant compete yet.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

punished milkman posted:

they are going to buy everyone and then port the games to playstation. i asked the game gods and they told me.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

infraboy posted:

Amazon says order comingg in tomorrow by 8pm hurray! Target says next Wednesday which is pretty lol.

I guess Amazon just has all the transit infrastructure in place and Target/Walmart cant compete yet.

Yeah, Amazon has their own delivery service, and has a very close business relationship with UPS, Fedex, and USPS. If they suspect they cant meet a delivery date, then they hire someone else to deliver. They were doing their own Uber like deliveries for awhile, but I think they got rid of that.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

il serpente cosmico posted:

The PS5 version has major issues with monitor refresh rate / resolution

Yeah i saw that but Im too dumb to understand why that is even a problem but im looking forward to next gen and people complaining about 90fps.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ups has picked up consoles for delivery from whatever amazon fulfillment center serves nyc. tracking numbers issued

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

I live near some kind of Amazon hub so mine will probably arrive first thing in the morning or at the very end of the day

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Ok I realize that I'm kind of confused with how the PS5 will interact with my current display.

I have an Acer Predator Xb1 Xb271hu monitor which does 1440p at 144Hz. Its inputs are HDMI 1.4 and DisplayPort 1.2.

I know that the PS5 does not send out a 1440p signal, and if I plug directly into that HDMI, I will get 1080@60. My questions:

Is monitor-side downscaling a thing? Could I send a 4k@60 signal to my monitor and have it downscale to a 1440p@60 image? Would this be better than sending a 1080p@60 signal and having my monitor upscale it? (This is predicated on whether I can use an HDMI 2.1 -> DP 1.2 converter to go through that port.) Does the PS5 even offer this option or will it see that there's not a 4k display on the other end and just force everything to 1080 without giving me the option? I didn't get a PS4 Pro so I don't know how that handled things

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

punished milkman posted:

They have a marketing deal with them but they are not gonna buy them, we would have heard about it by now cos intention has to get announced first for japanese companies.

Anyway, rumour is new elden ring trailer at game awards.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Vikar Jerome posted:

Yeah i saw that but Im too dumb to understand why that is even a problem but im looking forward to next gen and people complaining about 90fps.

seems like no matter what the PS5 version will override your desired settings if it detects a 120hz TV, forcing it into a mode that has high but unstable frame rate and a subpar resolution

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Real hurthling! posted:

yeah they are papering over some pretty severe gently caress ups with raw power

You should see tlg on ps5!

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Vikar Jerome posted:

It's a problem because if the game isn't capped at 30, 60, or 120, and instead runs at a variable rate, you get tearing or rudder. It is easily fixed by a 60fps cap. A 60fps cap is preferable to a 90fps variable rate, unless you have VRR, which the PS5 currently does not. The game really needs a 60FPS cap for its quality mode.

The game also won't even run at 4K if you have a 120hz TV with HDMI 2.0.

This is just basic stuff they managed to gently caress up.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

infraboy posted:

I work in the logistics industry and if we have a most demanding customer, Amazon would be up there, which should be no surprise

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

seems like no matter what the PS5 version will override your desired settings if it detects a 120hz TV, forcing it into a mode that has high but unstable frame rate and a subpar resolution

That sounds like 1% problem but thanks for the explanation.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

il serpente cosmico posted:

It's a problem because if the game isn't capped at 30, 60, or 120, and instead runs at a variable rate, you get tearing or rudder. It is easily fixed by a 60fps cap. A 60fps cap is preferable to a 90fps variable rate, unless you have VRR, which the PS5 currently does not. The game really needs a 60FPS cap for its quality mode.

The game also won't even run at 4K if you have a 120hz TV with HDMI 2.0.

This is just basic stuff they managed to gently caress up.

If you have a 60hz tv is this all moot?

Still no word or cc charge from Wal-Mart which is cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Target finally shipped my console.