Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We have like 6 John Smith's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Speaking of names. At my first job we quite a few offices in China and they would go by Western names quite often, most of them picked common name but we all had a sensible chuckle when Windy Fan joined the company.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

GreenNight posted:

We have like 6 John Smith's.

It looks like my company is moving to Four letters based on their first and last name and then semi-random numeric jibberish because I know for a fact they have at least 14 JSMITHs

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I have a coworker with a common name. Despite doing a first.last format, he has a 6 at the end.

One day he told me that when he was in the army, it was 146 at the end.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I wish I hadn't used first initial+surname when I signed up for Gmail all those years ago, since that combination apparently became a popular name for kids around 2000.

I don't just get spam, I get messages from schools notifying me that Foo hasn't been in class all week, requests to sign up for Pokemon or LEGO accounts on the daily, and just the other day I had to tell an army recruiter that I wasn't who he was looking for, and disqualified from serving on a number of grounds.

I'm just glad that people send compromising photos over text rather than e-mail these days.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I can't remember if I have posted about one friend of mine before, but he has a super common name that has never really fluctuated in popularity and constantly gets emails from people same as that. One time he got added to a gmail thread of some college friend reunion thing and apparently their Firstname Dot Lastname was known to be a joker, so they refused to believe they had the wrong one on the wrong side of the Atlantic until he sent them a picture. They ended up feeling bad that he was going to miss out on the awesome party so they ended up paying for flights and giving him crash space so he could make it :v:

On the other hand, it turns out that a dude who lives in literally the house across the street from him has the same name too, and is a prolific but very poo poo petty criminal so the cops turn up at his door on a basically weekly basis.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
I have a first initial last name Gmail address from beyond forever ago, don't use it as my primary email but have it forwarded to it. I was getting so much misaddressed email that I set the autoresponder to clearly state that it get a lot of incorrectly addressed email, who it had actually gone to and that it was forwarded to my actual address.

I've had people emailing me to apologize/thank me for letting them know. That said, I still get doctor's notes, parent news letters, optometry appointments going to it.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I have the same first name and last name as my POS father. Different middle name.

Doesn’t stop him from committing identity fraud in my name. I’ve had to fix my credit multiple times as a result. I’ve also had to fend off cops who were looking for him.

Motherfucker is gonna get me thrown in jail eventually when a cop is too impatient to listen to reason.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Worked at an oil company. Assistant Drillers became assdriller@company.com

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

I created a few misspelled aliases of my 'business' gmail account, because my first name is so uncommon, it happened a few times that foreigners (i.e. Americans) couldn't spell it.

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.
In college I had a friend named Lisa Elizabeth Dillhoff. The username convention at the time was the first 6 of the last name, first initial, middle initial.

So she ended up with dillhole@college.edu

This was the early 90's. At the height of Bevis and Butthead popularity.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

CollegeCop posted:

In college I had a friend named Lisa Elizabeth Dillhoff. The username convention at the time was the first 6 of the last name, first initial, middle initial.

So she ended up with dillhole@college.edu

This was the early 90's. At the height of Bevis and Butthead popularity.

Best one yet. Poor girl.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That'll be the one I tell people about to illustrate this phenomenon from now on. If I can remember the details

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Collateral Damage posted:

Is there any reason not to just go with firstname.lastname? Why do people come up with these convoluted abbreviation schemes?
I'm pretty sure this guy's been gone for years, but he's got such a unique name I'm guessing you can Google up his entire employment history so I'm censoring it out anyway. Imagine trying to type this freehand off a business card. 18-letter first name, 14-letter last name.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Knormal posted:

I'm pretty sure this guy's been gone for years, but he's got such a unique name I'm guessing you can Google up his entire employment history so I'm censoring it out anyway. Imagine trying to type this freehand off a business card. 18-letter first name, 14-letter last name.

Had to load a csv of users for an Indian company we were working with. Holeee poo poo. That guys name was a middle of the pack example

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
Not quite as unfortunate as some of these, but I run in to CLitweiler occasionally at one of my clients and the name always makes me giggle like an idiot.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Knormal posted:

That's why QR codes were invented.

I love being firstname@company. I might make that part of my sign-on package (along with "no sharing hotel rooms on business travel") for my next gig.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

luminalflux posted:

I love being firstname@company. I might make that part of my sign-on package (along with "no sharing hotel rooms on business travel") for my next gig.
We only have one of these at my place, and it's the Exchange admin.

Or at least, former Exchange admin, current head O365 email guy. I'm not exactly sure what you even call that position anymore.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sharing hotel rooms??

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Still Exchange Admin, since MS are still calling it Exchange, just Online now.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Thanks Ants posted:

Sharing hotel rooms??

Seconding this :stare:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Knormal posted:

We only have one of these at my place, and it's the Exchange admin.

Or at least, former Exchange admin, current head O365 email guy. I'm not exactly sure what you even call that position anymore.

Last two times I was mail admin I had batman@ as a mail alias.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

mllaneza posted:

Last two times I was mail admin I had batman@ as a mail alias.
Someone gave the graduate I trained up for the SOC Exchange admin before he moved to the SOC team and he had an array of ingenious aliases set up for himself. I forsee a long and bright career for him.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Thanks Ants posted:

Sharing hotel rooms??

Right up there with buying powerbars and bottled water instead of going out to eat

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

Sharing hotel rooms??

Yep. Been a thing for “fun” trips and conferences both in US and Sweden in the name of “cost reduction” and it gets old quick.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Bob Morales posted:

Had to load a csv of users for an Indian company we were working with. Holeee poo poo. That guys name was a middle of the pack example

These don't factor in people with quite a few names. The most extreme I have encountered in person had 15 names, and a fair expectation that anything calling for his full name used his FULL name.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

RFC2324 posted:

These don't factor in people with quite a few names. The most extreme I have encountered in person had 15 names, and a fair expectation that anything calling for his full name used his FULL name.

I deal with similarly long names on the regular as well. It's never an easy solution on either side of the coin.

https://www.kalzumeus.com/2010/06/17/falsehoods-programmers-believe-about-names/

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

DelphiAegis posted:

I deal with similarly long names on the regular as well. It's never an easy solution on either side of the coin.

https://www.kalzumeus.com/2010/06/17/falsehoods-programmers-believe-about-names/

The correct approach is to be assigned an username and email address based solely on your employee ID, which should be a character string that has nothing to do with your identity. If you want an email address that is more personal than that, reach out to the email admins about adding an alias(intake paperwork should actually ask for preferred email addresses to automate this)

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
A few of my in-laws have just one name, so many times we have to call someplace and ask how they like to handle that. Use a . or - ? FNU? Use the single name in both boxes?

I called a travel agent one time and got a nice southern lady, and while we waited for a airline rep to get back to them, she asked if this was her maiden name. I think her mind was blown a bit, but she was really interested in helping me out and being the expert for future calls.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
Devs made a button in our customer app that does nothing but reply "okay, thanks" to a message

lol

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

CaptainJuan posted:

Devs made a button in our customer app that does nothing but reply "okay, thanks" to a message

lol

Your devs figured out how to complicate a like button

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

CaptainJuan posted:

lol

If you mean so they can one hit confirm things in tickets, I wish that was more common so customers would just acknowledge without adding commentary that might confuse things.

I have had co-workers see some extraneous comment in a "thanks for the update" email that sends them down a dark path of making changes the customer didn't actually want til a month later because of those and our society's profound lack of reading comprehension

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
okay, thanks

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
I worked with a Sherry Lutz for quite a while at a FirstInitialLastname place. Poor Slutz. Also worked with a Wael Izzard, but he wasn't any fun about it.

Sherry was customer facing and a total professional about her email. Never complained but sent a Thank You email when we updated her to First.Last. Wael threw a shitfit about it but over the course of the year+ I was there his mailbox never went over 20 items because he was in Warehouse.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
We combat the username issue by just using initials. :smugdog:

Yes, it does make Powershell and everything else normal admins have to deal with a righteous bitch but no slutz here, no sir. :smugdog:

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
We use three letter user IDs, which caused issues with our accounting software when a user was assigned SUM

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
3 hours on a call with a TELUS technician where whatever they’re doing with their call centre setup meant I could hear my own words echoed back to me with a 3 second delay. Please kill me.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
We've been trying to convert over to employee IDs for usernames for years now, but our contractors aren't in the same payroll system, so they don't have an employee number. No, everyone knows this is stupid. Yes, no one will step up to fix it. Situation normal.

Guy Axlerod posted:

A few of my in-laws have just one name, so many times we have to call someplace and ask how they like to handle that. Use a . or - ? FNU? Use the single name in both boxes?

So when I worked on the phones, part of our security questions involved asking the user for their first and last name. Of course, working nights in the US meant I dealt mostly with people whose names did not necessarily comply with First/Last conventions. That's the first time I ever saw someone with FNU as their first name. I didn't know what it meant, and they didn't either, obviously. We've since updated the system to remove any FNUs, and the hiring team knows to look out for those during the initial account creation, but what a fuckshow.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Haha, oh man. Usernames.

At my previous employer we had a policy of first initial+lastname, which worked well enough, but then the CEO, a man who was well past "should have retired already" refused to figure out how Outlook's autocomplete worked. We had someone in IT and someone in sales whose usernames had the same three letters; let's say they were 'jsmith' and 'jsmalls'. The CEO kept emailing jsmith sales-related emails intended for jsmalls, because he just kept typing 'jsm' and not checking who Outlook would put in the address bar. Eventually, jsmith left, but this kept happening. It would always be different people, but the CEO would continually email the wrong people due to never paying attention to autocomplete.

Eventually, the CIO (the CEO's son) decided that this problem was IT's, and drafted the most batshit username policy I've ever seen. The primary rule was that all employees had to have a 3-letter identifier (which was used in the ERP system, and this had its own host of problems), and the username's first three characters HAD to match that. To compound the problem, the three-letter identifiers were originally initials before this policy was established, and anyone who had one assigned before that point got to keep their original identifier.

It was loving chaos.

New people would start and we'd find out their username had to be different due to a collision with an existing username, an existing three-letter identifier, or both. Sometimes there'd be a collision with an identifier that was no longer in use, but due to how our ERP worked could never actually be used again. Our primary AD admin had a PowerShell script he'd use to generate new users, but the script couldn't account for every single collision or edge case. We did the best we could, but every time a new user would be set up and the CIO noticed a collision between usernames/three-letter IDs/whatever, he would email me (at that point I was Assistant Director, which was really just IT Operations Manager) and ask me why the collision occurred, as if I'd done it on purpose.

At least in those cases, where my predecessor would have emailed the AD admin and said "please be more diligent, you are killing me," I just said "Welp, it happened again; please change things around so it fits [CIO]'s mandate" because I knew that the entire situation was total loving nonsense adding unnecessary stress to a job that can already get pretty fraught.

The same CIO once had us change the "time.off.reminder@company.com" (a distribution list consisting of mostly just admin assistants and HR) email address to "qq.time.off.reminder" because some dipshit in Engineering kept trying to email his buddy Tim to talk poo poo about their coworkers and kept sending it to the distribution list instead. Evidently the argument of "tell that idiot to stop being a moron" wasn't compelling enough to not put the problem on IT. That rear end in a top hat basically made sure IT was the only department held accountable ever.

Ultimately, I suppose I'm thankful I got laid off in March. Just writing this out made my blood pressure spike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Fortis posted:

Just writing this out made my blood pressure spike.
Just reading it gave me an ulcer.