Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

they’re nowhere near as bad as the latest MacBooks pro though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

the entire thing is a heat sink tho

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Casual Encountess posted:

the entire user is a swamp cooler tho

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

memories of crawfish intensify

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
lmao @ intel's xbox hueg chip process

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
never buying another Intel machine again

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
setting a bunny suit on fire and buying a G4

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

poty posted:

https://twitter.com/rafahari/status/1326461689047511040

really dont like the big font titlebars coming up in the next macos

this guy should get a blue checkmark for being the only keynote user on the planet

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

haveblue posted:

an ipad or iphone going full bore can easily become uncomfortable to touch in spots so let's hope they're a little more aggressive for the laptop

The 4K apple tv has a fan. It’s only an A10X, which was in the 2017 iPad Pro and the non-X version in the iPhone 7, but it should be able to provide a comparison for fan vs no fan performance at least. I can’t seem to find any benchmarks on it though.

hobbesmaster posted:

they’re nowhere near as bad as the latest MacBooks pro though

Yeah I think the 16” always uses the dGPU when it’s plugged into an external monitor so mine is always pumping out a good amount of heat, even if the fan itself is inaudible. Doing anything that’s not watching a video or browsing the web makes it sound like a jet engine and makes it hot enough to be unusable as a laptop.

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

dunno why you guys are so worried about virtualization you can just use the win10 arm build

I keep asking this, who the gently caress is running VM's on their laptop?

Why are you doing this? Do you just hate yourself?

Spin up a VM in a cloud or a datacentre and remote into it. Your laptop is not a good hypervisor. There is no reason for an on-machine VM workflow except if you're somewhere without internet access (and where is that at this point?)

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Mad Wack posted:

this guy should get a blue checkmark for being the only keynote user on the planet

pages is really bare-bones, and numbers has the impossible job of living up to excel, but keynote actually makes pretty good presentations. been a really long time since i used powerpoint for comparison, tho

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

yeah there are lots of keynote users out there still

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

The Management posted:

never buying another Intel machine again

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

WilWheaton posted:

The use case for virtual machines on your laptop is to virtualize the lovely mandatory company supplied domain-integrated windows laptop with all its buggy VPN and security software onto something that doesn't make you want to die when you use it.
Parallels is really good at that one thing.
Although "modern" >2015 apple laptops make me want to die anyway so I guess it's become obsolete.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

yeah there are lots of keynote users out there still

between keynote and libreoffice, i don't need any ms office installed on my machine, so there's that

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

correct me if i'm wrong, but intel never really got the 7nm process down and their chips are at best 10nm. and now apple is releasing their own chip with a 5nm process? how is intel so bad at this?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Mr. Nice! posted:

correct me if i'm wrong, but intel never really got the 7nm process down and their chips are at best 10nm. and now apple is releasing their own chip with a 5nm process? how is intel so bad at this?

My understanding is that intel's 10nm node is roughly equivalent to everyone else's 7nm and that the "5 nm" node is really just a minor shrink of certain aspects of the 7nm process and is really 7nm+ or ++ or whatever the gently caress they are saying now

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

My understanding is that intel's 10nm node is roughly equivalent to everyone else's 7nm and that the "5 nm" node is really just a minor shrink of certain aspects of the 7nm process and is really 7nm+ or ++ or whatever the gently caress they are saying now

this is how i understood things to stand as well.

for that matter nothing is stopping intel from designing a chip and using someone else's fab for it if they wanted except complete and total embarrassment

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mediaphage posted:

this is how i understood things to stand as well.

for that matter nothing is stopping intel from designing a chip and using someone else's fab for it if they wanted except complete and total embarrassment

it’s not simple to change fabs, you have to design the entire process

the rumor is that nvidia’s current supply issues for the 3xxx cards are because they switched off TSMC but Samsung’s process sucked and they’re spinning up TSMC again but it’ll take 6 months or more

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

hobbesmaster posted:

the rumor is that nvidia’s current supply issues for the 3xxx cards are because they switched off TSMC but Samsung’s process sucked and they’re spinning up TSMC again but it’ll take 6 months or more

Can't wait for a repeat of the endless quest among tweakers for RAM sticks with the right memory chipset, only for multi-hundred dollar bideo cards...

E: Or will they have a different sku for the Sarnsung-fab cards?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

nvidia is the more cores comic except with skus so maybe

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

hobbesmaster posted:

sure i'm not saying they can just go bing bam boom onto tsmc or whatever, but there's nothing theoretically stopping them from putting something out so they can play the marketing numbers game like anyone else. it turns out that amd spinning off their fabs was ultimately the right move, and i do wonder if intel will keep theirs up indefinitely (i don't actually expect them to drop it anytime soon)

the same nvidia rumours also say part of the delay is because amd bought up the extra capacity

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

rjmccall posted:

pages is really bare-bones, and numbers has the impossible job of living up to excel, but keynote actually makes pretty good presentations. been a really long time since i used powerpoint for comparison, tho

numbers used to be so good before they iOSified it. most people don’t need the million features of excel in their spreadsheets.

intel’s 10 nm process doesn’t exist. they literally can’t make chips on it. they are on 14nm. meanwhile TSMC is moving ahead, even if it’s not full steps.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
numbers is good and i enjoy using it and posting in the yospos thread when theres a new release

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
the yospos numbers thread is one of the best threads in this forum

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

The Management posted:

numbers used to be so good before they iOSified it. most people don’t need the million features of excel in their spreadsheets.

intel’s 10 nm process doesn’t exist. they literally can’t make chips on it. they are on 14nm. meanwhile TSMC is moving ahead, even if it’s not full steps.

they eeked out some mobile chips but the yields were poo poo and they didn't perform any better than their 14nm counterparts

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
so I assume a time machine backup from an Intel Mac would work on an ARM Mac? can't really find any reference to that anywhere.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
why wouldn't it? the cpu architecture doesn't have anything to do with filesystems

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Mad Wack posted:

I’m watching a keynote over zoom right now!

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user

Plorkyeran posted:

why wouldn't it? the cpu architecture doesn't have anything to do with filesystems

Oh yeah, wasn't really thinking.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

The Management posted:

you can buy a 10nm intel right now in a laptop, but yeah not in a desktop or server chip

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Pulcinella posted:

as a laptop.

good thing it’s a portable and not a laptop then

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

WilWheaton posted:

Why are you doing this? Do you just hate yourself?

shut up Wesley

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Plorkyeran posted:

depends on what you're restoring, files in general should be fine assuming they don't do anything in big slur that just straight up breaks time machine volumes (and they might), apps and full system restores won't though

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Not too shabby

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Last Chance posted:

Not too shabby

sure, what does that score represent?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

what do those numbers mean

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Edit: Geekbench scores. Not sure how someone managed to run one yet, though.

Last Chance posted:

Not too shabby

I’m withholding my judgement until these actually get into people’s hands. Hard to believe those performance numbers. Also presumably the Air would eventually be thermally throttled and the 16” would overtake it. The air cooled M1 13” pro though...

If those numbers are real though, Intel should consider themselves incredibly lucky that Apple probably has no desire to sell these chips to anyone else. They basically just had a heart attack in a hospital and really need to think about getting their poo poo together.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Pulcinella posted:

Edit: Geekbench scores. Not sure how someone managed to run one yet, though.

I’m withholding my judgement until these actually get into people’s hands. Hard to believe those performance numbers. Also presumably the Air would eventually be thermally throttled and the 16” would overtake it. The air cooled M1 13” pro though...

If those numbers are real though, Intel should consider themselves incredibly lucky that Apple probably has no desire to sell these chips to anyone else. They basically just had a heart attack in a hospital and really need to think about getting their poo poo together.

the armbook air is literally 3.5 times faster than the 2019 mba

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

fart simpson posted:

the armbook air is literally 3.5 times faster than the 2019 mba

Hard to believe just because it’s so much faster. Though I guess I can believe Intel has been grifting for years.