Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Thanks guys! It's been a long haul.

I really need better coping skills.

Alright, maybe I'm getting the hang of this actually.

Outside mitered corners are a lot easier...

This piece was an absolute pain in the rear end. I had to make it twice because the first one got grabbed, shredded, and spitefully flung across the house by the chop saw.

It goes here.

And then I found out I hosed up measuring to frame this room (in 2012...) and should have skipped that piece entirely because I think I might be the only person who ever notices its existence.

Putting some of the baseboard shoe trim on today and finishing installing this doorframe.

Oh, and yeah, it's just pine trim. I'll probably use oak on the next place, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

kastein posted:

should have skipped that piece entirely because I think I might be the only person who ever notices its existence.

Nope, it looks absolutely incredible and if you hadn't put it in you'd have been able to see wall there, which would have been no good.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
If I hadn't put it in, I would have had a more satisfying fitment between the baseboard and the door casing, and the piece of base cap needed would have been like half an inch square :sigh:

Oh well. I'm writing all these stupid mistakes down for when I start CADing the next house.

mcgreenvegtables
Nov 2, 2004
Yum!
Coping trim with an angle grinder

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

rndmnmbr posted:

I don't know if it's ironic as hell, or just kastein.txt, that the nicest it's ever looked is when he's given up on it and is trying to GTFO.

This. It's crazy to see where you started and now that you're nearly across the finish line and like "welp, see you later." It looks great though man!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I'll miss it but I also won't. I dunno.

I used that sanding block trick actually (got it from another video) but an angle grinder?! That seems like using a hand grenade to kill mosquitoes. I guess I can see it for large trim like crown molding but for base cap it's totally overkill.

Did all the weird little pieces of baseboard, base cap and shoe trim in the spare bedroom. Rounded the ends of the baseboard and base cap where they meet each door:

And done:

So this week's project has been siding and trim since the weather unexpectedly turned nice and I need to get it done before snow flies. Thus I went to home depot and spent way too much money on vinyl products...

My yard is small and full of random bushes, trees, and car parts so getting the trailer backed to where I unloaded it was... Fun. Got lucky and did it on the first shot. Had to come down the hill from the back right corner of this picture, turn left towards the camera, then jackknife the trailer back and to the left...

... Between these two bushes:

The journey of a thousand nails begins with a single smashed thumb:

One side half done:

Two more walls half done:

And another: (haven't done the part over the porch roof yet)

And the wall by the back deck:

Since then I have finished (except for one piece of siding and the top trim, anyways) the first wall I did, and done the one on the opposite side of the living room from it to about 10ft off the ground as well. I keep finishing in the dark and not being able to get good pictures. Hoping to get this finished in another week or two, but still need to do the eaves on many sides of the house so that might not happen so quickly.

kastein fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Nov 9, 2020

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I know why you went with vinyl, but it still breaks my heart.

It's a nice color though! :unsmith:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I know... I didn't really want to but ehh. It does look really nice, even from close up.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Looks really good, I think the colour helps. There’s no way I would pick it as being vinyl from these photos.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

This was done 2 days ago but no pics

And this yesterday

And this (left wall, right one is from yesterday) today.

Finally properly mounted the exterior electrical outlet box

The compressed air hookup will probably never get used by anyone but me, but it'll be done right, drat it. Still needs a piece of 1x6 azek over this layer, I'll do that tomorrow.

Getting closer, I have a butt-ton of soffits to do still, once that's done I can put up more corner posts and finish the siding. My brother is gonna come by and help with some of the higher up parts so I don't have to go up and down ladders 4 million times per wall.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
holy poo poo it almost looks like a house

what's it been, almost 12 years?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Just passed ten years since I bought it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I realize it's just your flashlight but I swear this image is crying out for a HUD to be added to it. Not sure whether more along the lines of "Half Life 2" or "My Summer Car".

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

IOwnCalculus posted:

I realize it's just your flashlight but I swear this image is crying out for a HUD to be added to it. Not sure whether more along the lines of "Half Life 2" or "My Summer Car".

Fallout 3?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Where in MA are you? I moved here a few months back and we love it. We’re thinking about buying something outside the city.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Central Mass, a few miles from the 84/90 interchange. If you mean Boston I regret to inform you that you do *not* want that commute. It's about 45 minutes to the 495/90 interchange, past that, bring on the pain. It can easily be another hour to 95/90 some days.

Commuting to Worcester is not bad at all. I would say about 30 to 40 minutes depending on what section of Worcester.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

IOwnCalculus posted:

It looks exactly like a screenshot from S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Have you heard anyone shout "cheeky breeky!" nearby recently?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

kastein posted:

Central Mass, a few miles from the 84/90 interchange. If you mean Boston I regret to inform you that you do *not* want that commute. It's about 45 minutes to the 495/90 interchange, past that, bring on the pain. It can easily be another hour to 95/90 some days.

Commuting to Worcester is not bad at all. I would say about 30 to 40 minutes depending on what section of Worcester.

Yeah we’re in Boston, but we ended up 100% remote going forward. We thought about heading back west but we really like MA.

What’s the lot size?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

0.28 acres with vacant wooded land to the north, a big empty yard that never gets used to the South, and unbuildable wooded lots to the east. The kicker is the neighbor to the west is like 15 feet away and the (actual usable) driveway is off an unpaved private road that is unplowed for the last 150ft or so. My way of dealing with this was (1) buy a snowblower (which I'm not taking with me) and (2) own AWD and 4x4 vehicles. The road is a through-road, so it's not a huge issue if it's less than a foot of snow, just drive downhill the whole way, but it does need to be mentioned.

There's a driveway to the west that's shared with the neighbors... One of the parking spaces is technically half on my land so it really should be mine. It's a lovely narrow steep driveway and they gave me grief over it, I didn't feel like arguing about it and so I use the driveway just enough to maintain legal claim to my easement but that's about it.

Today's project was more siding and trying to figure out how I'm going to finish framing the roof rakes/gables and put in the soffits. I really wish I'd known what I know now about framing because the roof rakes are not really up to modern standards. It's grandfathered so it's not legally an issue, but I hate not bulletproofing things. I could have done so easily in 2010 but I didn't know that at the time. So now I get to find a strong way to do it now without redoing the entire roof. Drat.

Edit: it turns out I've been freaking out over nothing and this is easy. It's BETTER to cantilever lookouts from the third rafter out over the gable wall to the last rafter behind the barge board, but not necessary apparently, which is good because they didn't do it in 1879. Here's a video on how to frame out the bird boxes that also shows the lookouts done the way I'm going to have to do them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hkUriQYbnA

kastein fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Nov 12, 2020

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
For some reason I thought it was a much larger lot.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

It looks like it is because of the vacant and unbuildable land around it. I prefer to look at it as I get to live in the woods without having to pay the taxes on those woods :v:

mcgreenvegtables
Nov 2, 2004
Yum!

kastein posted:

use the driveway just enough to maintain legal claim to my easement but that's about it.
Is this a real thing? I share a driveway with an empty lot owned by the lovely POs of my house who are trying to develop it but keep getting rejected by the historic commission for proposing 4000sqft houses on an 8000sqft lot. If they could lose their easement for not using it that is very helpful for my NIMBY goals.

Also, I did not expect this would happen, but after going to a bunch of historic district meetings to get approval for things on my house, I have somewhat bought in and am now triggered by things like lovely masonry, vinyl windows, and rot-resistant siding. That said your vinyl looks really good and I am not triggered! But gently caress the historic people's refusal to allow PVC trim. They don't realize it but they cannot tell the difference, ask me how I know.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

PVC trim loving owns, gently caress the haters. Looks like wood from anything over like 5 feet away and never ever has to be painted... Sign me up. The extruded stuff for installing vinyl siding not so much, they look alright I guess, but azek and verandah HP are amazing.

I'm not sure if it's legally a thing but I just use it enough that they can't claim I abandoned it regardless. Usually that means driving my truck up it to load or unload stuff every few weeks. You'd have to look into your states laws to be certain.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Adverse possession is fun because it's different in every country and state. In Mass it's 20 years. It's intent is really to allow someone to claim abandoned land that they have spent their life improving, not stealing an annoying neighbour's land.*

In Mcvege's case the fact that the owners have been regularly submitting plans indicates that the easement is hardly abandoned or unused, especially if they've been using it for weed control or maintenance would be enough to prove the land is occupied.

* But also caveating this so loving hard because the states is terrible and corrupt.

mcgreenvegtables
Nov 2, 2004
Yum!

Jaguars! posted:

Adverse possession is fun because it's different in every country and state. In Mass it's 20 years. It's intent is really to allow someone to claim abandoned land that they have spent their life improving, not stealing an annoying neighbour's land.*

In Mcvege's case the fact that the owners have been regularly submitting plans indicates that the easement is hardly abandoned or unused, especially if they've been using it for weed control or maintenance would be enough to prove the land is occupied.

* But also caveating this so loving hard because the states is terrible and corrupt.

Thats for the legal advice. Hah maintenance, weed control! My neighbor and I cut the grass, shovel the sidewalk, and cut back the fuckton of wisteria that grows out of control. My neighbor also planted vegetable gardens and uses it as a dog park. I am in MA and I doubt this will drag on for 20 years before something happens.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Air chuck trim is done.

And one side of the bathroom (actually two now but I haven't taken a pic of the second one) and part of the worst most annoying side of the house, which has the bathroom hanging out of it, two separate bottom edges at different heights, a bay window, and a bathroom roof that I have to trim around.

And the north gable end over the porch roof is done...

Hoping to get another bathroom wall and maybe the rest of the difficult wall done tomorrow, we'll see.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Looking like a real house now!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

It is weird to see a finished surface rather than zip board or Tyvek.
(Today I learned that Apple autocorrect doesn’t know “Tyvek”. )

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Yeah, it's amazing the difference it makes. I've been living here looking at a patchwork of tyvek, zipsystem, pressure treated plywood, CDX plywood, 140 year old barn boards, lovely rotting 140 year old clapboards, badly painted transite, tarpaper, and at times bare studs for ten years. The change is... Well, I double take walking up to my own drat house now.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

kastein posted:

Yeah, it's amazing the difference it makes. I've been living here looking at a patchwork of tyvek, zipsystem, pressure treated plywood, CDX plywood, 140 year old barn boards, lovely rotting 140 year old clapboards, badly painted transite, tarpaper, and at times bare studs for ten years. The change is... Well, I double take walking up to my own drat house now.

I've been living with a house made of a patchwork of that poo poo for a week, and I loving hate iy and want to set it on fire and leave, so I respect the journey you've made and the work you've put in, a lot.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Nov 18, 2020

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Well I've been slowly working away on the siding still.

The part at the top there where I had to flash the roof meeting the wall was annoying. I did it with lead flashing years ago but didn't do proper step flashing, so I left the lead flashing in place, sided up under the end of it, flashed the top of each piece of siding with zip tape to shed water better, then trimmed the siding to go around the lead, added a kickout diverter and step flashing OVER the lead flashing, then put more siding up past that. Like 4 or 5 layers of flashing, zip tape, and housewrap have to leak before a drop of water gets to the sheathing.

I hate siding and trim around bay windows. Bay windows are loving bullshit and gently caress this. What kind of idiot thought a bay window was a good idea? gently caress him.

Siding on the east gable end is going well. I only put the tyvek over the zip board because I knew it was going to be $longtime before I managed to get the house sided and zip is only rated for 6 months exposure.

Finished the trim around the kitchen exterior door. I used 1x4 Azek with 1x6 Azek over it to form the J channel for the siding. Came out alright, though the joint from the side posts to the lintel isn't great. Oh well, worlds better than it was.

Observe how loving filthy my cellphone camera lens is, how bright my LED floodlamps are, and how much more siding is on the east gable end! I can't get any more done on this side till my ladder stabilizer foot pads arrive Sunday, because one of them appears to have hosed off into the sun at some point and I don't want to screw up the brand new siding as I'm putting more above it.

Today I mostly stripped siding from the south gable end, put up housewrap, and cut and folded step flashing for the bathroom roof where it joins the south gable end. No good pics, but hopefully tomorrow I'll have some. Maybe even before dark.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Milestone: all the original cedar clapboards are gone!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRXyJYgynvQ

I put up most of the tyvek on that side and removed all but one barge board and soffit board, because they're very sketchy to reach without falling:

Then finished the siding on the east gable end:

Getting closer. The soffits, last course of siding right below them, and the south gable end are the only large areas left to do outside! Oh and porch ceiling, railings, lights... Dammit I keep remembering more things.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This is unreal.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Rhyno posted:

This is unreal.

Feeling like the end of an era.

tomapot fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Nov 29, 2020

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Oh man that looks good.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender
I cannot believe it looks like a house.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

jink posted:

I cannot believe it looks like a house.

I'm offended honestly.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I mean I can take it back off if one of you wants to buy it that way, sorry

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

kastein posted:

I mean I can take it back off if one of you wants to buy it that way, sorry

Put the squirrels back in the wall and you've got a deal. :banjo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Not Wolverine posted:

Put the squirrels carpenter ants back in the wall and you've got a deal. :banjo:

ftfy