Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

PMush Perfect posted:

It's been several months and several thousand posts since I last checked this thread. Do I have blackout bingo yet?

You can definitely check off Sudden Genre Change, Obvious Mookie Self Insert, Tone Deaf Abuse/Suicide Themes, and Obvious RL Reason for Plot Changes. Getting there, but no bingo yet. Just need a superhero to show up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Dabir posted:

We do have the RL reason for plot change, Mookie said that's what was happening.

Oh wait, that wasn't speculation, he outright said he changed the plot because someone called the ink witch abusive?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Plots require planning, but he removed the Kink Witch immediately afterwards and changed the direction of Snout's aimless meandering.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

FlocksOfMice posted:

Oh wait, that wasn't speculation, he outright said he changed the plot because someone called the ink witch abusive?

No, but he did have Snout gently caress off to a cabin in the woods because he himself had hosed off to a cabin in the woods.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Both those things really, and the tone/themes of the comic also got really dark/gory because he got depressed.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
You could get a bingo soon with "Sudden Genre Change" (the hut with the horror tentacles), "Obvious Mookie self-insert" (Snout) and maybe "Tragic backstory doesn't help", because that's probably what he's going for with Corpse Bride and it's not helping.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Cloacamazing! posted:

You could get a bingo soon with "Sudden Genre Change" (the hut with the horror tentacles), "Obvious Mookie self-insert" (Snout) and maybe "Tragic backstory doesn't help", because that's probably what he's going for with Corpse Bride and it's not helping.

It was intended as a horror aside but was more boring than anything.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I suppose you could fill in the tragic backstory one, as it's being used as the excuse for the tone-deaf abuse themes, and yeah, it doesn't help.

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

Did you know, I was THE MOON once!

Yes! You see, one night it turned out the moon had been STOLEN!

The animal people asked ME to take its place as I am so WISE and BRILLIANT!!
It hasn't quite gotten to Putting In Effort Is Evil but Snout's reaction to Arudak and Ink Witch getting kidnapped was to... wander off and stumble across the Horror Movie Cabin. Aside from the dream sequences and the occasional scribbling in his diary Snout's been wholly focused on Corpsemommy.

It's like Mookie remembers Snout used to have two 'friends' long enough for a single comic before returning to the current fetish material storyline.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I think now the idea is that Arudak and Ink Witch were never in any danger. And since Mookie knew that, Snout knew that. So he didn’t see any reason to rush to their rescue as the only real conflict was Snout not having someone to lead him by the nose to the next plot point.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

TheHan posted:

So he didn’t see any reason to rush to their rescue as the only real conflict was Snout not having someone to lead him by the nose to the next plot point.

Well technically he had no choice but to do nothing, because he was given absolutely no information about their situation. This isn't a failing of Snouts' character, but a failing of Mookie's imagination.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Well technically he had no choice but to do nothing, because he was given absolutely no information about their situation. This isn't a failing of Snouts' character, but a failing of Mookie's imagination.

Oh yeah, that too! Funny how usually Mookie's willing to introduce new characters that know exactly how to fix things, whole new concepts that happen to work perfectly for the situation or just inexplicably teleport all the heroes to where they need to be but now he's like "Oh well, Snout's got no choice but to wander aimlessly now! Guess I'm stuck drawing 6 panels of landscapes every week!"

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

super sweet best pal posted:

It was intended as a horror aside but was more boring than anything.

That's because a naked woman showed up and pushed the "Junji Ito inspired" monster over, defeating it forever. Now, if a Spider Shark ever shows up, I too will know how to deal with it!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Ah yes, Junji Ito, whose monsters famously are quickly dispatched within 2-3 pages

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Spoiler'd for rape joke (jazz hands)

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Nov 11, 2020

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

:lol:

Surprised nobody did this before now

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I mean, I really do wish we’d stop forever with Jazz Hands edits, because frankly they e never been funny, and by 2020 we can recognize “and then rape” is not a good punchline, even when for a Deegan thread.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Agreed, also because as awful as that whole thing was, it's not like we're spoiled for choice when it comes to lovely ideas executed awfully in these comics to mine for jokes and most of them aren't great.

...except for Punch Dwarf, that's been good every single time.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Mors Rattus posted:

I mean, I really do wish we’d stop forever with Jazz Hands edits, because frankly they e never been funny, and by 2020 we can recognize “and then rape” is not a good punchline, even when for a Deegan thread.

The joke isn't the rape, the joke is that Mookie thinks it was a good idea. She already cuddled Snout without consent so Mookie's halfway there already.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

I also don't think it's good.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

The joke isn't the rape, the joke is that Mookie thinks it was a good idea. She already cuddled Snout without consent so Mookie's halfway there already.

I think looking back its not quite funny because of how he handles violence in general twords Women in the strip.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Fair enough. I can see how others wouldn't find it funny. In my mind when I was making it, it wasn't "lol Snout is being raped" it was "lol Mookie is being tone-deaf about abuse in his comic again" and took it to its logical conclusion. I'll hold off from doing it again if people are sensitive to it.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
If I'm being honest if the punchline isn't lol wacky or lol rape, I still smile at it. I just think there is way better things to make fun of instead of reveling in what Mookie gets off on.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I think it's about the same as loss.jpg. Nobody actually thinks that a miscarriage is funny, but loss is still hilarious.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
I don’t think you can really compare loss and what Mookie did, they’re both tasteless in their execution but what Mookie did was outright heinous. For as ridiculous as it is it’s still a depiction of sexual assault and even if it’s used as a punchline at Mookie’s expense you can’t really divorce it from what it is. Even calling it jazz hands feels gross.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

The fact that Mookie apparently thinks that people "never read stories about a sexy rapist" (laughably untrue), which was his motivation to write that arc, is perhaps the most heinous of all.

So what's his motivation here? To write an incredibly unique "female abuser"? Does he think that hasn't been done, because the only media he ever consumes are No Man's Sky and his own work?

Truly, Mookie is the hero webcomics deserve, subverting all these expectations left and right.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Rotten Red Rod posted:

The fact that Mookie apparently thinks that people "never read stories about a sexy rapist" (laughably untrue), which was his motivation to write that arc, is perhaps the most heinous of all.

His complaint was that no one had "ever" created a story about a heroic rapist, not a sexy one.

Conan already exists.

VVV Ah, my bad. I could've sworn it was one of his newsposts that talked about 'heroic rapists'

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Nov 12, 2020

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

The exact quote, from when he was interviewed on a podcast, is:

“People who kill other people aren’t always viewed as villains, hitmen make sexy characters, you never read stories about a sexy rapist….so what i wanted to do was–it was an experiment for me–”.

Apparently it's from Keencast episode 12, which may have been lost to time. My source is: https://learnfromwebcomics.tumblr.com/post/13623589499/lesson-four-trigger-warning

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Nov 12, 2020

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

His fetishes are really just laid bare between the reread and legacy.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
He must’ve caught on that saying that made him look reprehensible, cause in that post-Deegan interview he says the reason for it was that his writing professor always said “show, don’t tell” and naturally that was the worst thing he could think of to show orc culture was misogynistic.

He’s also clearly embarrassed to even be talking about it, but it feels like it’s due to the backlash he got and not the shame he should feel. He never even says it was a mistake.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
It's been a year and four months, and all we've learned about Dominic Deegan's legacy is that he has one.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

And that the introduction to it reads like the recruitment poster for a cult.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Every time something happens in this strip Snout has to write about what just happened

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Maxwell Lord posted:

Every time something happens in this strip Snout has to write about what just happened

Does Mookie think he's subverting expectations by both showing and then later telling?

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

Drakyn fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Nov 12, 2020

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yes, but he also does that every time nothing happens.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Mors Rattus posted:

nothing happens

Maxwell Lord posted:

in this strip

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Mookie has turned "show, don't tell" into "show, tell, show again, then do nothing".

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

You've seen "Show And Tell"!

You've seen "Show, Don't Tell"!

NOW GET READY FOR

"DON'T"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

PoptartsNinja posted:

VVV Ah, my bad. I could've sworn it was one of his newsposts that talked about 'heroic rapists'

I mean he might have said that as well, sure, but it also might be lost to time.