Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I am happy to tell people that the enemies in Uncharted games are not bullet sponges and unarmored non-magical enemies will die to a headshot from a pistol or a burst of rifle fire from mid-range as many times as needed :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Oh I'm perfectly fine with low/zero-content OPs. That's just fine and encourages people to post more which is good. What I don't like is when it's a huge detailed post and the information is super out of date and/or false. If it's just "yo this game is fun look it up" then I'm down to :justpost: (and probably prefer it tbh). Reboot that poo poo

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It probably depends on the thread; in the threads I frequent (mostly management games: Rimworld, ONI, that sort of thing) everybody's consistently been patient and friendly with noob questions. No gatekeeping that I've seen.

Haifisch posted:

Yeah unless the answer to your question was posted on the last page of the thread, people are unlikely to give you poo poo about it.

Walla posted:

Yeah no one in Games gives a poo poo.

Thank you, genuinely! I will :justpost: more.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It probably depends on the thread; in the threads I frequent (mostly management games: Rimworld, ONI, that sort of thing) everybody's consistently been patient and friendly with noob questions. No gatekeeping that I've seen.

I should probably bind a macro that posts "Look up the most subscribed mods on the workshop" because I end up posting it quite often.

But the way games works and the fact that the threads are long running means the answer to a question might change over time too. You don't have to read the whole thread, it's just "post here about this game" but think of it more like an IRC chat or something with a very long archive.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Achmed Jones posted:

Oh I'm perfectly fine with low/zero-content OPs. That's just fine and encourages people to post more which is good. What I don't like is when it's a huge detailed post and the information is super out of date and/or false. If it's just "yo this game is fun look it up" then I'm down to :justpost: (and probably prefer it tbh). Reboot that poo poo

I feel like megathread OPs are like the SA frontpage. You read it when joining and never again. That's why there's not much push for having them updated.

That could just be my browsing habit though. It'd be interesting to see a poll on who re-reads OPs.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I deliberately didn't update the rimworld OP (in the sense of removing the old stuff) because I kind of like that it is a sort of historical document from when nobody had heard of rimworld and I was some weirdo getting the pre-alpha through the website directly.

And the progression from then has been if you want to know what rimworld is you can watch a lets play or something, so the thread is just a chat thread for the game for people who read games. So the OP doesn't really need a revamp I don't think? I certainly couldn't be arsed keeping it up to date all the time and I also don't think having me filter everything throug my perspective would be good either. I think it is better if people :justpost: and ask.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Yeah, and setting expectations for the OPs to be accurate will make it less motivating to make new threads. I'd rather have inaccurate OPs, than no threads at all.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Nov 1, 2020

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I'd like it if the Rimworld OP had a link to up-to-date primers. It could be at the bottom, under a boldface header.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I generally only come into games for the cyoas and even then I usually find them through recommendations from the threads I'm following. Thus concludes my annual trip to the games forum. See you next year (assuming society and the forums are still functioning).

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

I would love a way to find games similar to X. (ie: I play Apex Legends and Destiny 2. What other games in that vein might I like?)

I'm not sure if the way to fix that is more nuanced tags (or a multi-tag system), or a megathread overview breaking games down by genre, or if I'm just an idiot with a bad idea.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Sputnik posted:

I would love a way to find games similar to X. (ie: I play Apex Legends and Destiny 2. What other games in that vein might I like?)

Actually, this would be a cromulent thread.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
There is a thread for recommending a game, right here.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

keep up the good work imo

itry
Aug 23, 2019

There's a "Megathreads" thread in QCS Success Stories that I'm not sure actually got anywhere, besides this post about ignoring threads being on a wishlist or something. Which is nice, but not ideal because it puts a lot of work on readers and doesn't actually address megathreads specifically.

There was also this suggestion that I feel can be expanded on. You could add a new Megathread tag/class/icon so that when creating a thread the OP can choose one of the usual tags but in addition also choose (toggle) the Megathread tag, which will be in its own hidden column in the forum table. Then you could use the existing filter that we already have and just add a !Megathread option. It should be backwards compatible so you'll only need to edit the old megathreads' original posts to toggle it on. No need for a mega-sub, or to ignore every megathread you see. It's all on the OP. Does that make sense?

Anyway, for all I know this exact feature is already being worked on. Or already exist.

Edit: could be also automatically added to any thread with more than an arbitrary number of posts.

itry fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Nov 6, 2020

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
A thousand posts would be appropriate

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
If we reported the OP of a megathread for being way out of date, would that be enough to then have a mod look at it and start a discussion about replacing it with a new thread? (or just straight-up close the thread and tell people to make a new one)

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

mfcrocker posted:

If we reported the OP of a megathread for being way out of date, would that be enough to then have a mod look at it and start a discussion about replacing it with a new thread? (or just straight-up close the thread and tell people to make a new one)

Sure, go for it. You can also just PM me or VG if you want a more direct line.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
In fact just recently someone pmed me about this and I asked them to make a new op then pm me the new thread and I closed the old one and posted a link to the new one at the end of the old one.

The system works well :)

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

VideoGames posted:

In fact just recently someone pmed me about this and I asked them to make a new op then pm me the new thread and I closed the old one and posted a link to the new one at the end of the old one.

The system works well :)

It sounds like all they needed was the green light to go ahead. Is there anything we can do to make people feel less like they have to ask first?

If they want to make a new thread, they should just go ahead and then post a link to it in the old thread. We post in megathreads out of convenience, not out of allegiance or to chase some points system like other sites. It doesn't matter who's thread it is, as long as we have a place to discuss a game.

Like, I have a 7 year old thread in PGS for a game I don't play any more, and people don't want to make a new one even though they want an updated OP. I check the subforum every now and then, so I can lock the old thread if they ever replace it, but I'm not going to lock it on them until they have somewhere else to talk about the game. It's not strictly speaking in Games, but still. I feel like some posters worry when there's no reason to. If someone wants to make a new OP, just post. If it's a bad first post, it can always be replaced again.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Nov 23, 2020

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Squiggle posted:

Yeah honestly I mostly just want Games in its current form entombed in lucite and kept perfect forever

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Wild take/opinion: On Dec 31st, every single thread in games should be locked and archived. Any games/systems that people still care about should have a new thread made for them with a better/more updated OP to not be so intimidating to jump into.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Shrecknet posted:

Wild take/opinion: On Dec 31st, every single thread in games should be locked and archived. Any games/systems that people still care about should have a new thread made for them with a better/more updated OP to not be so intimidating to jump into.

Why?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
People actually plow though the entirety of megathreads? Seriously? Read the first couple of pages, two or three at the mid point and the last two and you've got about 90% of what you need to start shitposting.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
i have read all 130583 posts in the nintendo switch cj and can confirm theyre bad, especially mine

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Pretty sure this has come up multiple times in QCS (wrt Megathreads in general, not sepcific to Games), and it's been shot down by mods every time.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I have often started a game, gone into into its ancient megathread, read the OP, and then had the residents happily explain the game to me. Hell, the Rimworld thread answers "What are the best mods?" every drat day with good humor. The point of a megathread is the people, not the thread size. It doesn't matter that there are 500 pages I'll never read; it matters that the people on page 501 will explain, and maybe even be updating the OP.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Mods can also edit OPs if the actual OP isn't around any more and people want more/fresh info. Hell, if the OP of a thread is gone (or just doesn't want to maintain an OP any more), you're more than welcome to make a new thread and PM one of us to close the old one and we'll drop a link to the new one in the last post so everyone will see the new one.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I don't like the idea of closing megathreads mainly because now that I don't have search the easiest way for me to find old posts is by going through my thread post history... also it would mean all those old pages fall into the archives.

Mainly what I'm saying is that it hurts non-premiums lol

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I don't like the idea of closing megathreads mainly because now that I don't have search the easiest way for me to find old posts is by going through my thread post history... also it would mean all those old pages fall into the archives.

Threads haven't moved to archives in years, also I think the SALR extension might give you the "my posts" button, maybe? There should be a question mark button under everyone's tags that does it because I just tried it not logged in on a different browser and it was there. All you need is threadID and your userID and the format is

code:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=#######&userid=######

Amp fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Dec 5, 2020

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Maybe games should have an Olde Megathread repository with a directory for each games old megathreads.

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
It's me, I am the megathread reader. I basically have a job that requires me sitting at a pc while work happens at me for like 12 hours, so a giant collection of text about stuff I care about has been the best way to bridge the time between stuff happening. Though sometimes I will jump like around 100 pages before the end of a thread, just to get an idea how like semi-recent updates and such to a game went or in other subforums, to hear about events that were somewhat recent in the world (It is wild going into some and hearing people talk about whether covid is something to worry about from back in february :v:).

I will say that I sometimes wish some threads would get a new or updated OP when it is either about a early-access game or a general topic that has new stuff coming and going. For example, with the idle clicker thread it can be hard to just see if anything new came out since the last few months I checked it, even when reading up on the thread. Of course, enforcing any rules of needing to make a new OP every X months or whatever would also probably be stupid so... not sure how to solve it. Maybe ask if anyone wants to write up a new OP and let a mod/admin edited the post, probably with a big "This was edited by X at [Date] with a new OP made by Y" just to make sure no confusion happens. And of course, asking the original OP if doing that is okay.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

There is now a Games Thread Index...Thread

itry
Aug 23, 2019

:five:

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005
I think this place is still the best signal to noise place for games on the net. I can't think of anything to change.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

TyroneGoldstein posted:

I think this place is still the best signal to noise place for games on the net. I can't think of anything to change.

:hai:

Thank you, it means a lot that people are generally happy with the state of Games.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Thank you, it means a lot that people are generally happy with the state of Games.

I cannot quote this enough.

I love that people love this place and I feel very proud (and protective) of this forum.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

VideoGames posted:

I cannot quote this enough.

I love that people love this place and I feel very proud (and protective) of this forum.

Yeah, it's been almost 20 years at this point and I keep coming back. Keep on doing what you do. :h:

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

just wanted to add another voice to the "it's all good" pile. i think the fact that some of the megathreads are game-specific, while others are console-specific, does a lot to cover pretty much all discussion topics while still having clear enough games. people in the Switch thread talk about all sorts of Switch games, people in the Sekiro thread talk about other FromSoft games. overall it makes it really easy to figure out where to post about what you like, and i find most of the threads to be pretty accessible and welcoming. it's nice! thanks for helping make it be that way.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
I popped in this thread because I thought it was a catch-all "state of specific games" thread where people posted about the state of a particular game, since games nowadays change frequently and can get better/worse through patches etc. But it's actually a thread about the state of the games thread, and I was very confused for a bit. But now that I'm OK again I think there should be a state of games thread in the games threads and I'm gonna post that suggestion here in the state of games thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Scruffpuff posted:

I popped in this thread because I thought it was a catch-all "state of specific games" thread where people posted about the state of a particular game, since games nowadays change frequently and can get better/worse through patches etc. But it's actually a thread about the state of the games thread, and I was very confused for a bit. But now that I'm OK again I think there should be a state of games thread in the games threads and I'm gonna post that suggestion here in the state of games thread.

That's a good idea for a thread. Be the change you wish to see in the world. Take a swing by the Games Index thread that is also stickied if you do so it can get added to the index, too!