Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

MeruFM posted:

did you notice screen tearing with vsync off in the past?

gsync is just uncapped vsync with better latency because frames don't need to be buffered

Yes I noticed it sometimes.

I was told in this thread that g-sync is like 'night and day' though, and I'm just saying that it definitely isn't, in case anyone was wondering.

edit: apologies to anyone who still wants a card but is unclear as to whether or not they whined too much ITT.
edit 2: there was another criteria mentioned earlier, you can only get a card scalped to you if 'you're a cool guy' I think it was.

redreader fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Nov 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
As refresh rates go higher and higher gsync becomes less noticeable.

It was much more important when we were forever capped at 60.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Be cool if this didn’t become another place people scalp gpus

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Taima posted:

Card volume is rising extremely fast
Says who? If there's any info, it's that it still trickles in just like before. At least if you want 3080/3090 cards.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

NOVEMBER FLOOD!

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Combat Pretzel posted:

Says who? If there's any info, it's that it still trickles in just like before. At least if you want 3080/3090 cards.

BestBuy had a considerable drop this week--obviously no real way to tell direct numbers, but cards were in stock for minutes instead of microseconds. So either they got a big shipment or demand is waning. Either way works for me--I still want that sweet sweet 3080 FE so I can spend silly money on the EK waterblock.

Sphyre posted:

NOVEMBER FLOOD!

Probably more December flood, but yes, that's exactly what will probably happen when I try to watercool everything!

DrDork fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Nov 11, 2020

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Apple is shipping dedicated on-die neural network acceleration even on their base model laptops now, re: our previous discussion about where models like DLSS can run.

It would be amusing if Apple came up with a better neural network upscaler than NVIDIA.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

More and more people are saying this!

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Pivo posted:

It would be amusing if Apple came up with a better neural network upscaler than NVIDIA.

Have they given any indication they give even the slightest of fucks about game resolution upscaling, though? Gaming on Apple has always been comparatively laffo, and most of their AI work so far seems to have gone into photo processing and voice recognition / processing.

That said, Apple does have a ton of real smart engineers and a poo poo ton of money they could throw at it.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I dunno if fancy temporal upscalers even make sense on bandwidth starved mobile hardware, AFAIK everyone in that space still uses MSAA (or no AA) because post-processing of any sort is too bandwidth hungry

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I wish MSAA was mainstream again :smith: I've been playing a lot of WoW lately and seeing it run with 8xMSAA is so nice

I get that forward renderers/deferred shaders basically make it impossible nowadays, but it's nice to dream

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

redreader posted:

Yes I noticed it sometimes.

I was told in this thread that g-sync is like 'night and day' though, and I'm just saying that it definitely isn't, in case anyone was wondering.

edit: apologies to anyone who still wants a card but is unclear as to whether or not they whined too much ITT.
edit 2: there was another criteria mentioned earlier, you can only get a card scalped to you if 'you're a cool guy' I think it was.

Which games are you using with gsync?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

repiv posted:

More and more people are saying this!

So what will be first GPU stock of big beautiful Navi / 3000s series or a coronavirus vaccine?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I wish MSAA was mainstream again :smith: I've been playing a lot of WoW lately and seeing it run with 8xMSAA is so nice

I get that forward renderers/deferred shaders basically make it impossible nowadays, but it's nice to dream

Eh, in newer games the shaders and assets are so detailed that MSAA just doesn't work that well anymore

The Forza games still use plain old MSAA and even at 1440p with 8x MSAA there's shimmering everywhere

Forza Horizon 4 has a demo on the Windows store if you want to see it in action

repiv fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Nov 11, 2020

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

hobbesmaster posted:

Which games are you using with gsync?

I tried fortnite, metro 2033 and control for more extended periods last night (10 mins fortnite, 10 mins control, about 30-40 minutes of metro).

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://old.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/jsese7/ftw3_no_more_clown_lips/

🦀 evga lips are gone 🦀

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Anyone interested in an EVGA 2080 Ti Black + Hybrid cooler? Let me know if there is interest and I'll start an SAMart thread. I'll undercut whatever they are going for.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Sphyre posted:

NOVEMBER FLOOD!

Eh, I'm waiting on the 20gig Ti cards at this point. I think it makes sense to have over 10 gigs of ram if I'm gona skip 4000 series.

Be cool if they overclocked better but at least by then the demand problems will be gone.

:shepface:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Suburban Dad posted:

What's the best 1080p card for ~$400? Asking for a buddy of mine who is going to pair it with a Ryzen 3600, and a 144hz freesync monitor.

5700XT? 2060 super?

At 1080p I'd go with the 2060 Super, personally.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Or wait for the 3060Ti, which is supposedly due next month. There won't be a huge performance difference - the 2060S is effectively a 2070, and the 3060Ti is rumored to be comparable to the 1080Ti/2080 performance-wise.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Pivo posted:

Apple is shipping dedicated on-die neural network acceleration even on their base model laptops now, re: our previous discussion about where models like DLSS can run.

Too bad it apparently can't run Windows in a VM or a Docker container now that it's ARM-based. Truly the future that was promised.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

CaptainSarcastic posted:

At 1080p I'd go with the 2060 Super, personally.

Buddy was leaning toward the 5700 xt which seems better in benchmarks. I'm not really familiar with AMD's GPUs since they've been inferior for some time. Is it a bad choice for 1080p/144hz or is it the lack of ray tracing that you would lean that way for?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

doesn't microsoft have an arm surface laptop too?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Suburban Dad posted:

Buddy was leaning toward the 5700 xt which seems better in benchmarks. I'm not really familiar with AMD's GPUs since they've been inferior for some time. Is it a bad choice for 1080p/144hz or is it the lack of ray tracing that you would lean that way for?

The ray tracing and DLSS support would tip me in favor of the 2060 Super. As long as the monitor can handle G-sync compatible mode, that is. I guess that would be the biggest caveat - if the freesync didn't work on Nvidia then the AMD card would be more tempting.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Or wait for the 3060Ti, which is supposedly due next month. There won't be a huge performance difference - the 2060S is effectively a 2070, and the 3060Ti is rumored to be comparable to the 1080Ti/2080 performance-wise.

I'm aiming for a 3070, but I'm extremely tempted by the 3060 Ti for 1440p/60fps for singleplayer, 120 fps for multiplayer. Assuming its performance matches a 2080 for less power. If it's a December launch though, I really don't know how I get one before Brexit. From the Stockdrops discord it seems only France and Germany are getting any decent stock. French retailers just scalp to hell, and German sites only deliver to DE, or get cleaned out by bots within a minute (asus.de lol).

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.
It's not the FE I wanted, and it doesn't even have a back plate, but I finally got the EVGA link. :)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Shogunner posted:

It's not the FE I wanted, and it doesn't even have a back plate, but I finally got the EVGA link. :)

Nice! That is the same model I have a 9/17 queue place for. When did you sign up?

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

Sagebrush posted:

Nice! That is the same model I have a 9/17 queue place for. When did you sign up?

9/16 at 11:34am pacific, hang in there!!

really hoping EVGA lets us buy that backplate but it's not like I'm even gonna see it with a giant gently caress off tan and brown noctua right above the thing

jiffynuts
Jul 6, 2005

It's a-me-a-ha-me-ha
^^^^^^^^^^
[stealth edit:] uggggggh. It's going to be a while. Congrats though. :)

Sagebrush posted:

That's what I want to know as well. I have notify on for that model as well. 9/17/2020 5:02:32 AM PT myself. Have they even gotten to 9/17 yet? :(

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Shogunner posted:

9/16 at 11:34am pacific, hang in there!!

Nice! I'm 9/16/2020 11:56:41 AM so only a couple more weeks for me!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Been a bunch of drops tonight but I am never fast enough somehow

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
for the big rear end 3080s with 3 8-pins do you need to run a separate 8 pin from the PSU for all 3 or will 3 connecters from 2 cables be enough? Thats a lot of cable clutter

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Zero VGS posted:

Too bad it apparently can't run Windows in a VM or a Docker container now that it's ARM-based. Truly the future that was promised.
There's probably going to be a Rosetta 2 integration with those two ecosystems. Apple isn't stupid and knows developers need their tools working for them to migrate. Amazon has gotten ahead of the train with the ARM EC2 instances for all the cool kids to compile against. I won't get the new Macbooks for my primary laptop but I may get it for myself and start working on ARM cross compiling for my projects for kicks hoping work reimburses me for it. It should be a justifiable expense I figure and I'll get a nice toy out of it if I'm lucky.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Fauxtool posted:

for the big rear end 3080s with 3 8-pins do you need to run a separate 8 pin from the PSU for all 3 or will 3 connecters from 2 cables be enough? Thats a lot of cable clutter

If you're trying to do something silly like use EVGA's 450W BIOS, yes. Otherwise, for normal operation and mild overclocks, no--two cables to the three ports will be fine.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

DrDork posted:

If you're trying to do something silly like use EVGA's 450W BIOS, yes. Otherwise, for normal operation and mild overclocks, no--two cables to the three ports will be fine.

Thank you, EVGA, for putting a triple-8-pin setup and ridiculous TDP (even at stock) on the FTW3, and thus pushing me toward the 'reasonable' option of holding out for a cheaper XC3. :v:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

necrobobsledder posted:

There's probably going to be a Rosetta 2 integration with those two ecosystems. Apple isn't stupid and knows developers need their tools working for them to migrate. Amazon has gotten ahead of the train with the ARM EC2 instances for all the cool kids to compile against. I won't get the new Macbooks for my primary laptop but I may get it for myself and start working on ARM cross compiling for my projects for kicks hoping work reimburses me for it. It should be a justifiable expense I figure and I'll get a nice toy out of it if I'm lucky.

I dunno, I see the news about the ARM-based Macs and I see them looking more and more like Chromebooks. Since Apple has been pushing to have Mac OS be able to run iOS apps, why bother developing a Mac OS version at all?

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
you can reduce the clutter of 3x8 pin connectors by using 24pin mobo combs :agesilaus:

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I dunno, I see the news about the ARM-based Macs and I see them looking more and more like Chromebooks. Since Apple has been pushing to have Mac OS be able to run iOS apps, why bother developing a Mac OS version at all?

I think because performance will be comparable to a ryzen 5600x, people will want to do something with that power

^^^ Docker arm is a thing. I think people being down on these new macs are gonna be surprised.

MeruFM fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Nov 12, 2020

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

MeruFM posted:

you can reduce the clutter of 3x8 pin connectors by using 24pin mobo combs :agesilaus:

:flaccid:

I got mine from here (sold out currently): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07J34PFWL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Combat Pretzel posted:

The shop I ordered on did another weekly update, still no non-OC TUF cards from Asus. If I have to start playing CP2077 on my current card, I might as well finish it on it, and Asus can go gently caress themselves. Don't offer a model you don't intend to ship in any reasonable time (--edit: considering).

Yeah, like the higher end chips aren't scarce enough already, keep some of the bins back.

--edit:
From the latest NVidia display driver release notes:

Why does that poo poo keep happening?! :psyduck:

If it's any consolation my OC TUF order has only moved 11 queue positions in three weeks :suicide:

No way European stores are clearing their preorder queues by Christmas, they might still be going by March.

PS help I am playing Valhalla on a 1080 and it struggles to hold 60 at 1440p.

Carecat fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Nov 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

redreader posted:

I tried fortnite, metro 2033 and control for more extended periods last night (10 mins fortnite, 10 mins control, about 30-40 minutes of metro).

Do you have adaptive sync enabled on your monitor? Do you have gsync enabled in the control panel? Is your fps capped/running at less than the max refresh rate? Does the "gsync on" watermark show ingame once you enable it?

The user experience in getting the drat thing working certainly leaves a lot to be desired, but the effect is very much noticable even at 140fps.