Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I want to know what it's running to get those numbers. that is, what penalty does the x64 translation layer add?

also those numbers are meaningless to me without units

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Pulcinella posted:

Hard to believe just because it’s so much faster. Though I guess I can believe Intel has been grifting for years.

it means if it took you 3.5 minutes to compile your fart app before, now it will only take 1 minute to compile it. or if a linux iso took 3.5 minutes to download before, now it will only take 1 minute. etc.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Achmed Jones posted:

I want to know what it's running to get those numbers. that is, what penalty does the x64 translation layer add?

they're geekbench units

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

infernal machines posted:

they're geekbench units

so they’re pretty small then

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
number go up

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Achmed Jones posted:

those are native arm benchmark scores

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Pulcinella posted:

Hard to believe just because it’s so much faster. Though I guess I can believe Intel has been grifting for years.

according to geekbench the top of the line 2020 intel laptop is 50% faster than my not top of the line 2015 mbp. intel's been pretty loving stagnant for a while.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

or maybe mackbooks pro have horrible thermal design and everything just throttles down all the time

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

fart simpson posted:

or maybe mackbooks pro have horrible thermal design and everything just throttles down all the time

remember apple exclusively calls them notebooks because they aren't actually supposed to be used on your lap

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

fart simpson posted:

geekbench doesn't run long enough for thermal throttling to be an issue as long as the machine is cool when you start

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
apple genital toaster

pram
Jun 10, 2001
no wireless. less space than a nomad. LAME

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Pulcinella posted:

not hard to believe if you’ve been paying attention to the iPads at all. the current iPad Pro outperforms the i9 MacBook Pro on most benchmarks.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

including the most important benchmark. how much work can you get done w/ it

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

fart simpson posted:

i love how meeting intel's thermal requirements is interpreted as horrible design and constantly memed about

actually i don't really love it, it's stupid

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

what did intel lie to apple about when the processors would throttle or something? I don't see how the letting the processor throttle a lot is on intel unless it's basically impossible for it not to do that - and as far as I know other manufacturers have figured it out

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Nov 12, 2020

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Achmed Jones posted:

what did intel lie to apple about when the processors would throttle or something? I don't see how the letting the processor throttle a lot is on intel unless it's basically impossible for it not to do that - and as far as I know other manufacturers have figured it out

have other laptop makers really figured out how to not throttle? I can't imagine any laptop being able to dissipate a 50W chip without being more than an inch thick

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Achmed Jones posted:

no they haven’t. the only manufacturers that have figured it out are the ones building giant cooling systems, aka gaming laptops.

ultra books and MacBook competitors like the dell XPS also throttle like crazy on sustained loads.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

pram posted:

no wireless. less space than a nomad. LAME

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

seems like this chip is fast, op

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i’ve got a hard bone for that mba because of it being fanless. i love my shitbox mb 12 for that reason. I am way too tight to actually buy a mac at full retail price, but this one seems cheap

i think i’m in love, friends

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Achmed Jones posted:

not saying intel lied to apple. i'm saying that modern intel power and thermal engineering is loving complicated and the public doesn't understand it, or how apple works with it

as an example of how people don't understand it, if you use intel's definition of throttle, apple's products almost never do! "throttle" is an emergency mode entered when the cpu thinks there's risk of permanent damage to itself or the VRMs due to either overtemp or overcurrent. it doesn't stop at reducing clocks and voltages to absolute minimums, it also does fun stuff like throttle the rate of instruction dispatch (hence the name)

real-deal throttling means the system integrator done hosed up. i know of only one example where apple actually did this, and it was a silly and quickly corrected firmware mistake rather than bad thermal engineering

anyways, thermal design choices which don't violate intel's specs can influence performance. in many cases, the spec explicitly empowers the system integrator to pick where on the performance-vs-power curve they want to operate

apple likes to put battery life (or thin, or quiet, or all the above) ahead of best benchmarks, so it's easy to find benches which make them look "bad" to the less informed. combine that with an internet thirsty to dunk on them, and you have a recipe for "APPLE BAD AT THERMALS" memes which make your teeth grind if you understand what's actually going on

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

BobHoward posted:

"APPLE BAD AT THERMALS"

tl;dr, thanks for this summary toward the bottom oft he post

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

BobHoward posted:

not saying intel lied to apple. i'm saying that modern intel power and thermal engineering is loving complicated and the public doesn't understand it, or how apple works with it

as an example of how people don't understand it, if you use intel's definition of throttle, apple's products almost never do! "throttle" is an emergency mode entered when the cpu thinks there's risk of permanent damage to itself or the VRMs due to either overtemp or overcurrent. it doesn't stop at reducing clocks and voltages to absolute minimums, it also does fun stuff like throttle the rate of instruction dispatch (hence the name)

real-deal throttling means the system integrator done hosed up. i know of only one example where apple actually did this, and it was a silly and quickly corrected firmware mistake rather than bad thermal engineering

anyways, thermal design choices which don't violate intel's specs can influence performance. in many cases, the spec explicitly empowers the system integrator to pick where on the performance-vs-power curve they want to operate

apple likes to put battery life (or thin, or quiet, or all the above) ahead of best benchmarks, so it's easy to find benches which make them look "bad" to the less informed. combine that with an internet thirsty to dunk on them, and you have a recipe for "APPLE BAD AT THERMALS" memes which make your teeth grind if you understand what's actually going on

yeah, people got pretty stupid when the first couple gens of the core 2 architecture had chips that could run at their turbo frequency sustained with the default TDP. These are turbo clocks, not base clocks, the CPU isn't supposed to be hanging on them for extended periods unless you've hooked a leaf blower up for cooling

BangersInMyKnickers fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Nov 12, 2020

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

on that subject it'll be pretty interesting to see what the conditions for those truly excellent geekbench numbers are. it lists the frequency at 3.2 ghz, but it is probably optimistic to expect it to sustain that clock (individual geekbench tests are pretty short). plenty of room to throttle back a bit and still be extremely high performance though.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

on that subject it'll be pretty interesting to see what the conditions for those truly excellent geekbench numbers are. it lists the frequency at 3.2 ghz, but it is probably optimistic to expect it to sustain that clock (individual geekbench tests are pretty short). plenty of room to throttle back a bit and still be extremely high performance though.

assuming legitimacy with the air, etc, i am going to cackle when the mac mini puts out numbers that exceeds any mac they’ve shipped except, I suppose, the new 13-inch pro

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

fart simpson posted:

including the most important benchmark. how much work can you get done w/ it

excuse me, i'm a reviewer at cnet. my work is running geekbench on as many different devices as possible and presenting the numbers as if they're meaningful

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

inferis posted:

remember apple exclusively calls them notebooks because they aren't actually supposed to be used on your lap

remember the old 12 inch G4’s that were just hot irons

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

sonatinas posted:

remember the old 12 inch G4’s that were just hot irons

turns out apple figured out male birth control decades ago

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Achmed Jones posted:

people understand that the x86-64 to ARM64 translator isn’t jit, right? that it does it ahead of time?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

BobHoward posted:

was this when the old plastic macbooks would spontaneously shut down under load? because that was not fixed quickly, I got 3 logic board replacements over a full calendar year before the firmware update that fixed it

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
from shsc re: veteran’s day promo pricing and going all in on m1 on day 1 lol

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

qirex posted:

was this when the old plastic macbooks would spontaneously shut down under load? because that was not fixed quickly, I got 3 logic board replacements over a full calendar year before the firmware update that fixed it

weren't they using an entire jar of helmann's under the heatsink until their repair guides finally got updated?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

my gf is gonna get the new MacBook Air, she got a dell xps a few weeks ago but the screen kept blinking on and off, and their customer service was insanely lovely so she just got a refund

i think she’ll like it a whole lot but she’s worried she won’t like the ui, which she described as “infantile” lol

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
I suppose the flat sparse windows 10 settings ui built for a tablet is more senile than infantile

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

jesus WEP posted:

i think she’ll like it a whole lot but she’s worried she won’t like the ui, which she described as “infantile” lol
get her a forums account lol

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

correct me if i'm wrong, but intel never really got the 7nm process down and their chips are at best 10nm. and now apple is releasing their own chip with a 5nm process? how is intel so bad at this?

if my understanding of industry trends is correct, it's because Intel bet big on one flavor of lithography (and hasn't gotten it to work) while everybody else in the fab industry went with another method

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

but, again, the numbers are also not comparable. intel hosed up, and continues to gently caress up, but the numbers both over- and undersell the fuckup.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

mediaphage posted:

assuming legitimacy with the air, etc, i am going to cackle when the mac mini puts out numbers that exceeds any mac they’ve shipped except, I suppose, the new 13-inch pro

yeah, my guess is that the numbers are real but basically reflect what you get when you stick the air in the freezer for the duration of the test. but that is *still* incredibly impressive, if the steady-state is half that it is doing great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Doc Block posted:

people understand that the x86-64 to ARM64 translator isn’t jit, right? that it does it ahead of time?

you still need the ability to jit since anything can just mmap memory with PROT_EXEC, load whatever they want into it and jump into it

emulators with dynarecs for instance