Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Bauer and Bieber win Cy Youngs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Bauer gonna be saved by the lovely market from his dumb rear end "I'll only take 1 year deals" statement cause that's all he's gonna be offered anyways.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yu was robbed.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

So has any team ever won the World Series the year they traded away the 2nd and 3rd place Cy Young finishers before?

Also feels crazy that a franchise as old as Cincinnati has never had a Cy Young winner before now.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Trying to think of great Reds pitchers and no one comes to mind. :shrug: Their best pitcher by BRef WAR is someone named "Noodles Hahn" who played from 1899-1906.

The Pussy Boss fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Nov 12, 2020

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Tom Seaver went to the reds for a bit lol

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The best long term Reds starter I can think of is like Aaron Harang

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Cueto had a strong ace run with the reds

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Huh, Cueto was a Red for more years than I realized

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Luis Castillo looks like a stud - he could certainly be that guy.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The only teams left without a Cy Young Award winner are Miami, Colorado, and Texas.

If only Jose hadn't decided to joyride his boat while coked up, he might have brought one to the Marlins.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

bawfuls posted:

The only teams left without a Cy Young Award winner are Miami, Colorado, and Texas.

If only Jose hadn't decided to joyride his boat while coked up, he might have brought one to the Marlins.
Dontrelle came very close to winning a Cy Young

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

bawfuls posted:

It might be impossible to win a cy young out of colorado.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Bip Roberts posted:

It might be impossible to win a cy young out of colorado.

Ubaldo Jimenez came in 3rd in 2010. I don't know if any other Colorado pitchers came that close.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

Dontrelle came very close to winning a Cy Young

Man he was fun to watch that year.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Every time Dontrelle comes up I'm forced to confront the fact that xie was right

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Intruder posted:

Every time Dontrelle comes up I'm forced to confront the fact that xie was right
What'd he say?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

We had an argument over whether or not the Yankees should have traded Cano and Wang for Dontrelle

welp I was dead wrong

e: I think this was right after Cano's rookie year and he had yet to really blow up

Intruder fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Nov 12, 2020

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/jefffletcherocr/status/1326755425794945025?s=21

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Ubaldo Jimenez came in 3rd in 2010. I don't know if any other Colorado pitchers came that close.
and he had a 1.83 ERA at the end of June.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Kyle Freeland came in 4th in 2018

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

bawfuls posted:

So has any team ever won the World Series the year they traded away the 2nd and 3rd place Cy Young finishers before?

Also feels crazy that a franchise as old as Cincinnati has never had a Cy Young winner before now.

Has any team ever traded away pitchers that went on to place 2nd and 3rd in Cy Young voting the year after?

Other than the Dodgers, of course.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1326906416037302278

This doesn't make much sense. If they are going for a D first catcher, Higgy seems fine for that role.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Nov 12, 2020

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I suppose I can see the logic in bringing Yadier to try and mentor/light a fire under the rear end of Sanchez. I don't agree with it, but I think I can follow.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Hahahaha

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

"Trying to catch a 1,000 MPH baseball"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4I-p8vjQ95s

1,000 MPH isn't hyperbole, for those who didn't watch the original video

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Twin Cinema posted:

Has any team ever traded away pitchers that went on to place 2nd and 3rd in Cy Young voting the year after?

Other than the Dodgers, of course.

Ryu was never traded though.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/faridyu/status/1326920166916173828

Darvish forgot that his contract included escalators for finishing in 2nd to 5th place in Cy voting in addition to winning it, and got really confused when his agent called him yesterday to congratulate him. As a result he's decided to donate a portion of it to charity.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Yu is good and was robbed

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Molina on another team feels weird and wrong.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
can't say I'm delighted at the prospect of giving a 2-year deal to a 38-year-old glove-only catcher

I'd much rather we manage to sign Realmuto or swing a trade for Contreras

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Ryu was never traded though.

Okay, I should have just said "have moved on from".

The reason I was asking a question to the original post was because I doubt this has ever happened before, let alone on a team that won the World Series.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Angels hired Braves assistant GM Perry Minasian. Actually came in to the front office a month before Coppy was fired, later promoted by Anthopolous.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Jose Abreu wins AL MVP. To think the White Sox were "this close" to not resigning him this year even at a home town discount. At least every other decision the front office has made has been sound.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

FREDDIE!

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Happy for the big lug.

Didn't think it was ever going to work out for him, he always seemed to miss chunks of the season just when he was going really good. Turned out the answer was for everyone else to miss chunks of the season too.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

congrats to jose abreu, a cool dude who won an mvp in literally one three-game series against the cubs

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i'm hearing that tony la russa cannot wait to raise a glass in celebration of the MVP

e: https://twitter.com/officialBBWAA/status/1327037490176299010?s=20

WHO THE gently caress VOTED FOR RYAN TEPERA???????

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Nov 13, 2020

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

I'm really happy for Freddie. Now give him whatever contract he wants so he can stay a Brave forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

lmfao what the hell