Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Antioch posted:

I worked with a Sherry Lutz for quite a while at a FirstInitialLastname place. Poor Slutz. Also worked with a Wael Izzard, but he wasn't any fun about it.

Sherry was customer facing and a total professional about her email. Never complained but sent a Thank You email when we updated her to First.Last. Wael threw a shitfit about it but over the course of the year+ I was there his mailbox never went over 20 items because he was in Warehouse.

Hopefully Wael picked up the nickname "Rincewind"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Fortis posted:

Three Letter Identifier

There's an ancient system at my place that uses three letter initials to log in. There are more user accounts than possible unique combinations at this point. :v:

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Kurieg posted:

Trying to unify usernames across applications where some have LOGIN defined as a VARCHAR16 or smaller

My company uses an ancient facility monitoring software that is hard-coded to use your windows password, but your windows password has to conform to the rules of the software so it's 8 characters, no more, no less.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

tactlessbastard posted:

My company uses an ancient facility monitoring software that is hard-coded to use your windows password, but your windows password has to conform to the rules of the software so it's 8 characters, no more, no less.

Sure hope you weren't planning on migrating to azure anytime soon, because that system will still be hardcoded to your windows password that you can no longer update once it expires.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Um.. no?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I mean, I’m sure there is some lovely esoteric configuration where that is true, but on it’s face that’s definitely wrong.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

a ticket DIDN'T come in!!

literally not a single ticket about YouTube from last night

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Shugojin posted:

That’s surprising.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Shugojin posted:

Turns out your ticketing system is down.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Zil posted:

Turns out your ticketing system is down.

Do you not run your ticketing system on youtube? All users must submit a video when they want something and tag us, and the comments serve as the journal.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

shortspecialbus posted:

Do you not run your ticketing system on youtube? All users must submit a video when they want something and tag us, and the comments serve as the journal.

This would be an awesome ticketing system, but only if the comments were open for any rando to read/write in

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

shortspecialbus posted:

We also make user beg for likes before we'll help.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Just got a ticket where a user was complaining about the number of unskippable ads in a YouTube video.

It's one of those channels that uploads large quantities of simple low-quality content targeting kids and/or the elderly and aggressively monetizes as a business model.

Sorry man, we don't control adsense.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

klosterdev posted:

Just got a ticket where a user was complaining about the number of unskippable ads in a YouTube video.

It's one of those channels that uploads large quantities of simple low-quality content targeting kids and/or the elderly and aggressively monetizes as a business model.

Sorry man, we don't control adsense.

But that's computers! You do computers, right?

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
I sure do :smith:

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
:vince:

Digital Ocean's website checks for cloud-to-butt and reverts the changes the extension makes.

Talk about not having a sense of humour.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Irritated Goat posted:

We combat the username issue by just using initials. :smugdog:

At my present employer I had previously done a one-month stint on service desk almost twenty years ago, so I have my initials as userID/email and everyone hired in the last 15 years has an autogenerated ID. I know of one person who got their first name as their userID, so I'm not smug about it.

tactlessbastard posted:

For a long time our passwords had to be exactly 8 characters: the union of HP-UX's 8 character max and AD's 8 character minimum.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

less than three posted:

Digital Ocean's website checks for cloud-to-butt and reverts the changes the extension makes.

The monsters

That just means we need a cloud-to-butt-to-cloud-to-butt extension

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
A ticket came in...

Asking if any of the computers in my office's lab have optical drives, because the renewal/upgrade for one of our products came on a CD, and the vendor refuses to give us a digital download.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

A ticket came in...

Asking if any of the computers in my office's lab have optical drives, because the renewal/upgrade for one of our products came on a CD, and the vendor refuses to give us a digital download.

This is why I keep a USB CD/DVD drive on hand.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Internet Explorer posted:

This is why I keep a USB CD/DVD drive on hand.

Yup, same. I do have a pile of desktops in the lab (HP keeps sending us new SKUs every time Intel has a chip shortage), so I'm extremely equipped for this request. It's just...$Vendor, what the gently caress.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

mllaneza posted:

For a long time our passwords had to be exactly 8 characters: the union of HP-UX's 8 character max and AD's 8 character minimum.

So... How many people used "12345678" or "password"?

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.

mllaneza posted:

Well all know the time-honored ritual of "turn it off, then back on again". But that seems somehow more intimidating than usual when "it" is a $165,000 mass spectrometer even if I do have Agilent support on the line.

Naturally it fixed the issue.

scientific software is one of the worst things. it's written by nerds, stuck in a lab somewhere, for their own use. usually by nerds who kind of know how to code but either have never held something with decent UI, or are so lost in making a tool for themselves they don't consider other people using it.
inevitably they publish or spin off or get bought out, and suddenly their kludged together control software drives a million dollar industry, all whilst there are random buttons and dials and option menus sequestered, hidden, or badly explained.

they lose connection to their modules all the time, error messages are supremely unhelpful, startup procedures contains loads of little widgets in random places, or redundant control panels, maintenance data can't be exported...

why yes I'm the dedicated computer toucher in this hospital lab why do you ask

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Fiber cut friday :toot:

This one ex comp sci professor keeps calling in and trying to do troubleshooting for us lol

GOD but I hate him

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Shugojin posted:

Fiber cut friday :toot:

This but every day :toot:

There is an army of Joe Six-Packs in the wild who rent Ditch Witches specifically to mess up my day.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

server room a/c failure friday y'all

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

server room a/c failure friday y'all

Friday the 13th, in 2020

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Friday the 13th, in 2020

The second Friday the 13th in 2020

Super Nintendo 64
Feb 18, 2012

less than three posted:

Time for cloudtobutt, cloud_to_butt, cloud2butt, clowd2butt.

That Dang Lizard
Jul 13, 2016

what; an idiomt

Super Nintendo 64 posted:

Time for cloudtobutt, cloud_to_butt, cloud2butt, clowd2butt.

Cloud to clown. All our data is stored in the clown.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

That Dang Lizard posted:

Cloud to clown. All our data is stored in the clown.

We all compute down here

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Rooted Vegetable posted:

We also make user beg for likes before we'll help.

Up vote this so the VP Engineering will see!

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I honestly do think a model that allows people to see a ticket and join in so you are actively helping a larger group at once, with elements of users being able to escalate themselves if enough people sign on has its benefits.

Then I remember what people did to the internet

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

RFC2324 posted:

I honestly do think a model that allows people to see a ticket and join in so you are actively helping a larger group at once, with elements of users being able to escalate themselves if enough people sign on has its benefits.

Then I remember what people did to the internet

Doesn't work amazingly well on github issues, and that's a relatively well-behaved group of users. But yeah, in an ideal world.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Jaded Burnout posted:

Doesn't work amazingly well on github issues, and that's a relatively well-behaved group of users. But yeah, in an ideal world.

Its one of those things that I want to say can't make anything worse than a normal ticket system, but that assumes everyone is acting in good faith and not just causing chaos for fun.

The other downside I can see doing that for an internal system is "helpful" employees who are "good at computer" spending all their time surfing issues "helping" other employees.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

RFC2324 posted:

with elements of users being able to escalate themselves

Isn't that just "I'M GONNA GO CRY TO MY SALES REP!!!!" though?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Kyrosiris posted:

Isn't that just "I'M GONNA GO CRY TO MY SALES REP!!!!" though?

I was thinking more of the "get enough likes and it goes to the manager" thing. Its less "I need special treatment" and more "a bunch of people think this needs your attention, pay attention"

E: poo poo, if you have worked any kind of customer service you know that public facing stuff gets auto-escalated anyway. I'd rather it take more than one person screaming to get a reaction

RFC2324 fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Nov 14, 2020

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
One place I have worked actually had their ticketing system notify you when you made a ticket, and notified your direct manager too. If they clicked on a button in the email, it notified their manager and bumped the priority. I think there were no more than six clicks possible before the CEO got an email about it.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Arquinsiel posted:

One place I have worked actually had their ticketing system notify you when you made a ticket, and notified your direct manager too. If they clicked on a button in the email, it notified their manager and bumped the priority. I think there were no more than six clicks possible before the CEO got an email about it.

I worked a place that did automated escalation based on SLA breaches, all the way to the CEO. I think the SLA had to be breached by like a month for that to happen, but it was technically possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The nice side of the button was the manager could go "this is loving stupid" and clear a dumb ticket from the queue. Seemed to help manage the problem users pretty well.